PDA

View Full Version : Better start getting wins

Landon
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
On paper we have a good team but on the ice that team on paper has dissapeared. 5 wins 16 losses would be ok if we battled every night and stayed out of the penalty box and were beat by better team's. There seem's to be know accountabilty when these players take bad penalties that ultimately cost games. We have lost a ton of 1 goal games this year due to bad penalties, shorthanded goals and lack of consistency. We sit in 11th place with 12 points. Edmonton sit's in the final playoff birth at 8th spot with 25 points. We are 13 points out of a playoff spot. I hate to say it but if this play continues we are going to miss playoffs and it will be that much harder to sell season tickets next year. Our rink at one time was very intimidating and hard to play in for other team's and if those other team's did win they earned it.

Raider Believer
11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
On paper we have a good team but on the ice that team on paper has dissapeared. 5 wins 16 losses would be ok if we battled every night and stayed out of the penalty box and were beat by better team's. There seem's to be know accountabilty when these players take bad penalties that ultimately cost games. We have lost a ton of 1 goal games this year due to bad penalties, shorthanded goals and lack of consistency. We sit in 11th place with 12 points. Edmonton sit's in the final playoff birth at 8th spot with 25 points. We are 13 points out of a playoff spot. I hate to say it but if this play continues we are going to miss playoffs and it will be that much harder to sell season tickets next year. Our rink at one time was very intimidating and hard to play in for other team's and if those other team's did win they earned it.

I keep hearing and reading that we have a good team on 'paper'. What does that mean? The only real evaluation is wins and losses. Every year it's a different excuse ..... 'not enough toughness, too many penalties, not enough discipline'. Maybe a reality check is in order. The team isn't good enough. Its a shame. I hope the community has the patience for another rebuild. Campese wasn't/isn't the answer, neither is Young or Manson. The old guard traditionalists (think Board of Governors) have been the guiding hands for too long, way past their time. A new generation needs to step forward and resurrect a once proud franchise. But it probably won't happen, and my guess is we probably won't make the playoffs .... this year, or next or next. Thank you Bruno. Thank you Mr. McPhee.

TalkHockey
11-16-2011, 01:45 AM
In defense of the current coaching team, it takes more than a week to put your systems in play. What everyone means when saying this team is good on paper is...
Mcneil is a first round draft pic, everyone expected him to take control. Even announcers of apposing teams start every game out saying to watch him. Then he is never brought up again.
Herrod is a targeted player game in and game out. Teams know this guy can take a game by control on his own.
Maylan is top 15 in the league in pts on a team in the bottom 3 for pts total. This guy could be top 5 on a decent team.
Our goalies are "losing it" because it is demoralizing to be scored on and they are scored on so often because we are in the box.

Take control of the penalty situation and this team goes on a skid. I wish raider staff would read this. I GUARANTEE MY POSTING ON THIS SITE FOR GOOD IF.... Yaworski spends 3 games in the press and we do not win 2 of the games. As said before... how can a guy lead the league in minor..MINOR penalties and never miss a shift.

the voice
11-16-2011, 08:42 AM
What that means is when you put player names and past stats and accomplishments on paper and see the quality of players this team has, they are a very good team. The crapshoot is whether or not they gel and develop chemistry. There are lots of roadblocks that a team on paper needs to overcome to become a great team on the ice. It's a work in progress and all we can do is hope that team on paper meets expectations soon. I still hold out hope.

wango tango
11-16-2011, 11:49 AM
when will management make the decision the season is lost and start dealing, can they afford to send that message to the community?

the raiders currently have to win 7 more games than either the pats or oil kings to squeak into 8th place. that's not just play equal to what the pats and oil kings do for the rest of the season, but outright win 7 more games, or some combination of 14 more points. at their current winning percentages that'll put regina and edmonton in the upper 30's for wins. for sake of argument say 37 wins. that would mean the raiders would need to get 44 wins? can the team win 39 out of the 49 left?

patsdude114
11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
im sorry but the Raiders rnt even a good team on paper they got 3 players & they are all forwards who are actually worth anything, McNiel is a soild player but isnt the type of guy to take control of a game he is a backseat passenger who has skills, he needs a guy infront of him to produce every game so he can as well.

He will be back next season so there is no reason to move him for prospects or picks, he just doesnt have it in him to move onto the next level yet. Maylan is 20 his value is not high to begin with cuz of his age, altho he be a great addition to the Pats offense (as would Maxwell) but i just dont see Lang making a swap of 20yr olds anytime soon, especially since Marantz has been traded twice already this year (not that, that has anything to do if he gets dealt again or not)

Herrod is a soild powerforward & would be an upgrade to alot of teams 20yr old situations. Outside of these 3 players there isnt alot there possibly Tockin but have heard he has a terrible attitude & is abit of a cancer on a team which is why MH traded him.

Im sure Young will turn this team around & head it in the right direction, but dont expect that to happen overnite either. Hopefully by late jan u guys r headed in the right direction, but can a small market team wait that long? The need for a small market (community owner team) to win now is so heavy in the bottom line, MJ is the only small market team that is having regular success. PA & SC have to start putting out soild teams again or the odd sof there team not making it anymore in such a money hungary league is slim to none. Not enough funding from the NHL to help these teams stay above water.

Good luck Raiders, times are tough yet again.

Landon
11-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Mcneill last year had 81 points, Maylan 69 points, Herrod 68 points, Fiddler 38 points, Corbin 29 points. On paper you would think that these points are going to get better each and every year. Now add the supporting cast of Knutsen, Winther, Danyluk (hurt),and Tochkin on forward. Ruopp, Corbin, Vanscourt and Morrisey our defence should be strong. Williams in net should be hard to beat as he had a good rookie season. Myself, looking at these players on paper, there was know reason not to think we should have a good entertaining product on the ice. In September I would have never of thought we would be where we are: Last place, 13 points out of playoff spot, 85 power plays and only 15 goals scored, 9 shorthanded goals against (worst in whl) and 7 games lost by 1 goal difference.

Sttop
11-17-2011, 10:24 AM
I see Mike Winther and Cole Holowenko both made nhl.coms top draft eligible WHLers.

the voice
11-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Good for them to be recognized. When the team starts rolling here there may be more. By season's end I suspect Danyluk to join that list, with a couple more possibilities. The more noise and better the team does, the better the individuals will do.

Sabes
11-19-2011, 08:13 AM
1-9 in the last 10 games

the voice
11-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Ouch. That one hurt. Need a win tonite. Hopefully McNeill has more in the tank. Looks like the roster is shrinking and will be in trouble when McNeill leaves for team Canada.

booboo
11-19-2011, 09:58 AM
I wonder what PA would want for McNeill in a trade with thw WheatKings. The Raiders from I see are going nowhere this year so a trade of this nature while not in the Schenn category could get PA some valuable assets. As it looks to me now other than Morissey the the organization has laid an egg when it comes to drafting. How do explain PA over the last few seasons having all these high bantam picks and yet their prospect list pales in compared to Brandon's. Why?

WestLEAFfan
11-19-2011, 11:08 AM
McNeill is a decent player, but no where in the league of Schenn, however could likely garner an asset or two. Time for the Raiders to start selling, they're going no where.

puckdad
11-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry to sound so negative, but this game is indicative of the whole season so far. Another disappointing outcome in a game they needed to win; Facing an Edmonton team that will likely be battling for the 8th & final playoff spot, that was missing 2 of its top blue-liners, you'd think the Raiders would be all over the Edmonton defense like a fat kid on a donut. Once again they found a way to lose. 7 slashes Sautner after a whistle for an offside, and Edmonton scores on the Power Play. Neutral Zone turnover on our PP leads to a penalty shot that results in another short-handed goal. McNeill loses a defensive zone faceoff with 10 seconds left, Vanscourt doesn't take his man in front of the net, and Edmonton scores the gamewinner with 5.6 seconds left. What 21, probably our softest defender and leader in turnovers was doing on the ice in that situation is beyond me. If Ruopp had not been injured, I'm sure he would have been out there. Perfect situation for a physical, defensively responsible defenseman.
Our power play did score this game, but still lost the special teams matchup as they gave up a power play goal and a short-handed penalty shot goal. On 3 of the 4 man advantages, the Raiders managed 0 shots on goal, and turned the puck over at the blue line constantly. Is it just me or does the play of #9 just leave you wanting more? He had a strong game in the Moose Jaw vs the Russians, and then returns to the Raiders and plays complacently again.
Positives:
Physical, fast-paced entertaining game. Raiders were in it til the final 10 seconds.
Scored a power play goal on a point shot.
Raiders had more traffic in front of the net than usual.
Brandon Herrod finally scored another goal. He has been snake-bit for much of the season.
Kellan Tochkin scored another goal. He has been largely a set-up man so far, but showed he can bury it. Tochkin/Maylan/Hlinka were a good line for us again.
Ruopp came to the aid of Fiddler in the 1st after he got leveled by a big open-ice hit. Standing up for team-mates has been largely absent so far. Easily won his fight, but might have gotten injured in the process. He played another few shifts and finished the period, but did not play in the 2nd or 3rd.
Hopefully every player on this team can realize that they are just one more good shift from turning a loss into a win.

Sttop
11-19-2011, 01:44 PM
McNeill is a decent player, but no where in the league of Schenn, however could likely garner an asset or two. Time for the Raiders to start selling, they're going no where.

Disagree. Mcneill just showed you what he can do playing with talent in Moose Jaw. Mcneill comes with over a year and a half price tag not 30 games like Schenn. Bruno has a easy job, if he cant get the farm for Mcneill you keep him for next year. But he still needs to look at trading any 20s he can get assets for and Corbin, Vanscourt, and Yaworski. Right now the Raiders are sitting with a lottery pick . In my opinion sell off what needs to be sold off and stock pile 16 year olds and picks to be good for years to come , by playing the kids, and trading the vets. I know most people will say oh no another rebuild. But to be honest they never did rebuild . They never traded off assets to build for a year. When Bruno came there were no assets to trade because they missed the boat by keeping Chipchura , please dont make that mistake again !

AAAScout
11-19-2011, 02:41 PM
on the Monday night call in to the coach show on CKBI Steve Young talked about how good Sawyer Lange played on "D" in their last game, was +2 and had an assist on Mcneils goal........so the proper thing to do was healthy scratch him the next game?

This organization has no idea how to play any of the kids and develop them so that next year we won't be worse than we are next year, buckle up, cause next year will be worse if they don't do something quick!!

They can't win playing all these 19 and 20 year olds, so get Mahura back here, play him lange Berry Lamontagne etc and let's develop them so they have some experience for next year and beyond.

make a couple trades(yes mcneil must go) and hopefully we don't need a total rebuild, it would only be a year or two to wait(not the typical 5 we keep hearing all the time)

puckdad
11-19-2011, 04:51 PM
I agree with your comments on the younger players. Veterans aren't leading this team to many victories, so may as well build a foundation for next year. Morrissey is progressing in his development, being given a chance to play and improve. Knowler is contributing as an energy-type player and a good penalty killer. Knutsen is playing with different line-mates and may end up being a real solid euro. Braid sees little ice as a 4th liner. Perreaux hasn't played much either. I thought that maybe with Dave Manson moving from the Mintos to the Raiders that Lange would get more of a chance to play on defense. He's used as a 4th line winger, and seldom given a chance to play D. Oil King's Ashton Sautner, who he outplayed in Midget AAA last year, takes a regular shift, plays power play and kills penalties; develops his skills.

WestLEAFfan
11-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Don't look now, but here come the Lethbridge Hurricanes. I believe they are only one point back in the fight for the basement dweller position. Hockey Town North better pick it up soon!

Sttop
11-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Is that bad ? I dont think it is at this point.

WestLEAFfan
11-20-2011, 12:41 PM
well, I'd say definitely embarrassing wouldn't you?

the voice
11-20-2011, 12:47 PM
This coming from a LEAF fan?

WestLEAFfan
11-20-2011, 03:55 PM
This coming from a LEAF fan?

Absolutely! This isn't the LEAF forum pal, but feel free to check the standings! GO CANES GO!

Sttop
11-20-2011, 06:06 PM
I am a Leaf , Rider , and Raider fan . Not much that has not been embarrasing lately.

WestLEAFfan
11-20-2011, 06:27 PM
I am a Leaf , Rider , and Raider fan . Not much that has not been embarrasing lately.

Good point! :)

the voice
11-21-2011, 09:10 AM
No need to be embarassed about supporting amateur sport. Disappointed at times, maybe...... but hopefull...... always.

Raider Believer
11-21-2011, 04:18 PM
No need to be embarassed about supporting amateur sport. Disappointed at times, maybe...... but hopefull...... always.

the Leafs and Riders are definitely not amateur sport teams ... neither are the Raiders according to the NCAA. However, the strongest argument can be made by evidence of performance ... Raiders are definitely not professional. And ya, I know this leaves an opening for all kinds of Leafs jokes! :p

I'm not going to direct anyone to my comments from last season, better to stay in the here and now. But it seems, that barring a spectacular miracle, this team will be out of the playoffs this year. My question is this ... why is Campese going to be trusted to sell off the assets for future promise? Isn't the definition of insanity 'repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result' ?

Prince Albert deserves better than this. Five years of Campese and the team is battling for last place, worse than ever. And ladies and gentlemen, Steve Young is not the answer. He sat by silently while Bruno destroyed this team and wrecked the confidence of many a young player.

Sabes
11-21-2011, 06:21 PM
See a couple players joining teams coming from the US. Wonder if we are trying to list or pick up some guys?

WestLEAFfan
11-21-2011, 06:36 PM
See a couple players joining teams coming from the US. Wonder if we are trying to list or pick up some guys?

Do you think any would report if they were signed or listed? Pretty tough sell to come to PA I would imagine.

lordstanley
11-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Anyone know why Mark McNeil is a healthy scratch tonight ?

Sttop
11-23-2011, 11:09 PM
he was sick

lordstanley
11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
he was sick

Oh ok i thought maybe a trade was in the works i guess not

Sabes
12-02-2011, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing bourhis up with Mcneill and tochkin

the voice
12-02-2011, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Bourhis on D. If it works out, he could be a 20 year old d man with toughness we'll need next year. Wasn't he a rookie of the year d man in SJHL? or something like that? I'm concerned we lose his toughness as a 20 if he sticks to forward. Is he enough of a goal scorer or set up man for first line? Works damn hard though. I'd experiment with Braid or Perreaux or Knowler or possibly even Mahura on that wing as they were pretty good scorers and set up men in AAA. if it clicks you have something to work with for next year if McNeill is here. We seem to have tried Tochkin, Hlinka, Fiddler, Knutsen, and something new may click. I know it likely won't happen as it is against rookie protocol of paying your dues and getting rookie ice time. But we seem to need something out of the ordinary to spark the team.

Sttop
12-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Mcneills line seems to have alot more jump , can cycle the puck , and creates a ton more chances with Bourhis on the first line. It also Keeps Mark well protected. Heres a lineup I would like to see given a shot.

Bourhis - Mcneill - Tochkin
Winther - Herrod - Maylan
Mahura - Perreaux - Knutsen
Hlinka - Braid - Knowler

Ruopp - Morrisey
Yaworski - Lang
Hart - Corbin

the voice
12-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I look at this and say to myself that any combination of all those players should work. It comes down to chemistry and it takes experimentation to find it, one line at a time. I just haven't seen that WOW moment where you go "they belong as a unit". Maybe tonight. It just might take unusual combinations.

the voice
12-02-2011, 02:44 PM
I would like to see Berr-L play D. I think he has played well in limited icetime. Helps determine if he can be a part of the d next year. To get him icetime, possibly move a 19 yr old d man for a good 16 year old d man or 17 yr old d man that can be here this year and next. A Team needing playoff depth at d may be interested. Problem is they are all great guys, but we need to face that problem next year anyway.

chrisshultz
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
I see positives coming from Bourhis on top line. 1) he is a d-men turned forward, and therefore he is stronger defensively. This will allow Mcneil and Tochkin to get out of the d zone easier with Bourhis being the 3rd forward out and taking care of his end first. 2) if Bourhis is third guy in the zone and has the option to drive the net, this allows for a big body in front of the net for screen,deflections, rebounds etc. 3) His physical play should open up ice for Mcneil and Tochkin. 4) protection. 5) balances our the rest of the line up. Our second and third line become scoring threats.

But like the voice said, we haven't had a "wow" moment seeing any lines combo's thus far.

the voice
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Any chance we can turn back the clock and make him a 16 year old?

HockeyGuru
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I hear that Bourhais is thinking about going back to Yorkton to play Def. for the Terriers,unhappy with role and the teams downward spiral.

chrisshultz
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I hear that Bourhais is thinking about going back to Yorkton to play Def. for the Terriers,unhappy with role and the teams downward spiral.

I don't think there is any truth to that. He is happy here from what I understand and his role is starting to improve.
Plus, if he does play 1st line and plays well...his value in the market for a contending team increases tenfold. If he can create offence and still be a physical in your face player, he would be a daunting task to play against in a 7 game series. I'm thinking something like a Cody Beach type player, but not quite that elite.

the voice
12-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Well look at that. Some tweaking and all of a sudden there's that WOW factor I was talking about earlier. One line has found chemistry. Whatever their roles, the players all contributed somehow. Now we keep tweeking to bring along the next WOW line, then the next til we have 4 lines clicking. D men seemed to move puck and support each other. This game will be a reference point to build on. That is a huge feather in their cap...now to do it again is huge. Well done team. One game or shift at a time.

Raider Believer
12-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Well look at that. Some tweaking and all of a sudden there's that WOW factor I was talking about earlier. One line has found chemistry. Whatever their roles, the players all contributed somehow. Now we keep tweeking to bring along the next WOW line, then the next til we have 4 lines clicking. D men seemed to move puck and support each other. This game will be a reference point to build on. That is a huge feather in their cap...now to do it again is huge. Well done team. One game or shift at a time.

No argument here. A very, very nice win! McNeill picked it up in a big way. Good job. Gotta enjoy these wins when they happen.

Sttop
12-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I have not left the AHC feeling that happy this year ! It would have been very easy for the boys to quit being down 5-2 to the best team in the league, and with probably the most 1 sided officating we have seen this year as well. Was very impressed with the whole teams compete level. I just wanted to point out that I have never seen Williams battle back like he did last night. This is what we need to see of him for the next 2 years and good things will happen. I also thought that Corbin played possibly his best game in the defensive zone. Morrissey and Lang continue to improve every game and have been given a incredible amount of ice time thrown there way these last few games.

JMoney1988
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
It is finally nice to see you get a W, helps us a little in the standings..... I wonder if that result would have happened if Lieuwen was in net?

Sttop
12-03-2011, 02:11 PM
It is finally nice to see you get a W, helps us a little in the standings..... I wonder if that result would have happened if Lieuwen was in net?

he was in for the last 2 goals and took the loss. I dont think it would have made a difference.

puckdad
12-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Whenever this clown refs it leaves you scratching your head as to what game he can possibly be watching. What is his day job, Lookout at Pearl Harbour?

AAAScout
12-03-2011, 10:00 PM
he was in for the last 2 goals and took the loss. I dont think it would have made a difference.

I am very happy the Raiders won and was also at the game, and to say it wouldn't have made a difference is totally wrong. The Raiders do not win that game if they don;t play the back up. no way the best goalie in the league lets in a couple of those horrible goals to help the Raiders get back into it.

Sttop
12-04-2011, 12:50 AM
Well the leagues best goalie was still given the opportunity to win the game and came in with a tied game. Its not like he came in trailing so either way the Raiders outscored the Ice 2-0 with him in the pipes.

Wapitikev
12-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Whenever this clown refs it leaves you scratching your head as to what game he can possibly be watching. What is his day job, Lookout at Pearl Harbour?

What was the iceberg lookout's name on the Titanic, again?

Heh.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
12-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Frederick Fleet & Reginald Lee

Wapitikev
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Frederick Fleet & Reginald Lee

It's good to have educated board members...but leaving people to wonder if it was Byblow was funnier.

:D

-Wapitikev

puckdad
12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
aka Adam Byblow & Colin Watt

Wapitikev
12-04-2011, 02:49 PM
aka Adam Byblow & Colin Watt

Now THAT's funny.

-Wapitikev