PDA

View Full Version : To Portland with love...errr Bud

Tipped Off
06-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Note: this story from the Everett Herald is only related to Hockey because of the bags used...read on.....

It wasn't the way he acted that gave the alleged drug trafficker away.

It was the 13 hockey bags in the back of his truck.

The Washington State Patrol on Thursday found 550 pounds of marijuana packed into bags in a pickup that was broken down on I-5 north of Marysville.

The truck had Oregon license plates. It was likely that the marijuana had come from Canada, possibly crossing the border in a commercial truck.

The driver slipped away before troopers discovered the pot, which had an estimated value of $1.5 million.

The discovery was one of the biggest marijuana hauls yet for the State Patrol in Snohomish County, trooper Lance Ramsay said.

A trooper approached the truck and its driver Thursday morning after spotting the vehicle broken down in a construction zone. The driver was told the truck had to be towed, and he rode away with another motorist.

After he left, the trooper saw the hockey bags, which are commonly used to transport drugs, particularly the potent pot from Canada known as "B.C. bud."

The trooper "put two and two together" and brought the pickup to the impound lot after a drug dog signaled the bags were suspect, Ramsay said.

The bust marked another chapter in the county's long-running drug-trafficking saga of smugglers hauling marijuana south on I-5 and cocaine north. The cocaine and pot are often swapped pound-for-pound near the border, according to federal drug agents.

The trooper who found the truck said the driver was alone and appeared cooperative. He didn't balk at having his truck towed.

Ramsay said troopers believe the man received a lift from a "concerned citizen," not somebody involved with the drugs.

Before the tow truck arrived, the trooper saw 13 large Itech-brand hockey bags underneath the truck's canopy. The bags were filled with well-sealed, half-pound, 1-pound and 2-pound bags of marijuana, Ramsay said. Each hockey bag weighed 30 to 60 pounds.

When the pot was placed on display at the patrol's district headquarters in Marysville, unzipped hockey bags covered an area 10 feet by 20 feet.

"I honestly didn't think it was going to look like this much," Ramsay said. "I've never seen this much dope."

ihlemic10
06-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I though my Hockey bag was heavy... Now I'm not gonna speed going up I-5 with my Hockey bag.