PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Ice at Victoria Royals 19 Nov 11

CdnSailor
11-19-2011, 10:12 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/KootenayIce.gifat http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif

Kootenay and Victoria only play each othe once this season and this is it.

The Ice have not played in a week losing thier last game to Saskatoon 2-1
Kootenay are 6-4 their past 10.The Ice are currently 3rd in the Central Division 1 point behind the Tigers and 2 games in hand.

Victoria have been playing like a yoyo this past while, up and down with no consistancy. Royals were trounced 11-3 by the Giants last night. They are 4-6 their past 10. The Royals are currently in 3rd place in the BC Division.

Kootenay Ice 21 13 5 1 2 = 29 PTS 0-1-0-0 STK 6-3-1-0 P10 273 PIM

Victoria Royals 23 11 11 0 1 = 23 PTS 0-1-0-0 STK 4-5-0-1 P10 431 PIM

CdnSailor
11-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Players don’t have long in junior hockey — four years tops for most. So you don't spend three seasons with a team without having a bit of it seep into your DNA.

It will be an emotional game for defenceman Hayden Rintoul, the 20-year-old captain of the Victoria Royals, when the defending Western Hockey League champion Kootenay Ice pay their only visit to Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre tonight at 7.

“There will be a few emotions but I’ll leave them out and treat it like a normal hockey game,” said Rintoul before the Royals departed to play the Giants in Vancouver on Friday.

“I’ll treat it like any other game and stay focused.”

Rintoul’s three seasons with Kootenay were capped by last spring’s WHL championship and appearance in the 2011 Memorial Cup tournament.

“I had an unbelievable time in Kootenay,” he said.

“Definitely, last year was unbelievable. I will never forget that season and bond I have with those guys. I have a lot of friends on the team. We had comradarie and battled for each other and had the work ethic. Nobody wanted to win as much as we did.”

That’s exactly the background Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid was looking for in a captain and over-age 20-year-old. You only name one of the former and are allowed just three of the latter. So you need to make your captain and 20-year-olds count. When Rintoul became available over the summer, Habscheid pounced.

“It was a little shocking at first,” said the undrafted Rintoul, when he learned on July 7 he had been traded to Victoria in exchange for 20-year-old forward and seventh-round Minnesota Wild draft pick Dylen McKinlay.

“It caught me off guard. Once the emotion was out of the way, I got really excited about it.”

If the three Kootenay seasons will be well remembered, how can Rintoul not also fondly remember his one season in Victoria when it’s all done? There was a sense of fresh beginnings as he and the Royals — which had moved to the capital during the off-season after five seasons as the Chilliwack Bruins, were both new to the city.

“It’s an honour to be the first captain of the Royals,” he said.

And their reception

hasn’t been too bad, either.

The Royals are averaging 5,845 fans per game. The Ice have averaged just 2,738 this season despite a team that is 13-5-3.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Rintoul+raring+against+team/5735886/story.html#ixzz1eAUopgms

ELL
11-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Just a couple of notes on the last post. Rintoul was actually traded for 19 yr old Mckinley not a 20 year old as stated. Rintoul was an important cog in the run the Ice had last year. Consistent he was not, but if you wanted to be on the edge of your seat he was the man. One moment he would cough it up in his own end and the next minute he would take off on an end to end rush. All of us Ice fans wish him well in Victoria. As for the attendence a little misleading. Victoria is a first year franchise with a population 25 times greater than our own. Our numbers are up this year and we are supporting the boys. They have made the playoffs 13 years in a row and fingers are crossed they can do it once more.

50sWHLer
11-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the 'Real facts' ELL ! Yup, Rintoul is exciting to watch, and can only get better. Defensively, I see a lot of lapses, but really cranks it up on offense.

As for attendance. Don't fret ! You Guys really support your ICE, and although the Royals are seeing 6000 +- on the weekends, --- its only YEAR #1 ---- The telling tale will be in year #3 and on !! --- And as fickle as the Victoria Hockey Fan is, God Forbid the Royals ever get on a mid season losing streak, --- just watch the attendance drop !!!:blech:

50sWHLer
11-19-2011, 10:35 PM
HUmmn !!! 8 - 1 after 2 ???? :paperbag:

Big LOSS in Vancouver the Night before ???

HAS THE BUBBLE BURST??

I wonder what the attendance will be next week ???

pontcanna
11-19-2011, 11:50 PM
I wonder what the attendance will be next week ???
In that we're away in Kamloops and Kelowna, probably pretty decent :)

Tonight's crowd was (again) much better than the team, I think the rink sold a lot of beer tonight, the general level of inebriation probably made the whupping supplied by Cranbrook a little easier to take. Another freaking first minute goal against, don't get me started...

Yes, it was rink rats vs. Sovietski Red Army again. Not nearly good enough. Fortunately, Das Ice decided to play shinny for the whole of the third period, letting us win 2-0!!!! and could have been 3-0!!!! except for the foiled penalty shot with seconds to go. This time Habby waited for 6 to hit the twine before calling on Rathjen. What an odd role and one that's guaranteed to inflate his stats in the wrong direction. Who knows what resulted in Hamilton's return?

Halfway through this one I thought I was sitting on a hard wooden bench, smelling burnt onions and wet rubber in the Barn on Blanshard and watching the futility that was the Victoria Cougars in the lean years. This is our bad streak, gotta get through it somehow...

the Royal Flush
11-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Our defense are to slow at getting the puck out of our end...and our goaltending is terrible...Hamilton is not a starter and Rathjen is not a WHL calibre goalie.Its very obvious.

pontcanna
11-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Hamilton is wildly inconsistent. He has personally stolen a number of games for us that we had no business being in, but on other occasions he seems to lack concentration and appears less than ordinary until replaced.

pontcanna
11-20-2011, 02:00 AM
A nasty weekend for Royals

By CLEVE DHEENSAW, Times Colonist November 19, 2011 11:07 PM

Coming off the worst loss in franchise history — including the five years the team was located in Chilliwack — the Victoria Royals were looking to make a statement Saturday night at the Memorial Centre.

But it was the Kootenay Ice who asserted themselves in an 8-3 Western Hockey League victory before 6,482 subdued fans.

The Royals, 11-3 losers Friday at the Pacific Coliseum against the Vancouver Giants, were down early and stayed there as the hangover from the PNE drubbing seemed to have followed them across on the ferry.

“It was ugly, to say the least,” said Royals head coach Marc Habscheid.

“Hopefully, that’s the worst of it and we’ve hit bottom and can start moving up. We looked tired today and always two steps behind.”

It wasn’t a good sign when Kootenay’s Jesse Ismond scored with the surface still wet at 53 seconds.

“The energy in the room was good and we were focused and ready,” said Habscheid,” of his club’s pre-game mood.

“That early goal [by Ismond] didn’t help.”

The Royals, trailing 3-0, came out determined in the second period but were stymied on several point-blank opportunities by Mackenzie Skapski, the No. 2 Ice goaltender behind the usual starter and 2011 sixth-round Buffalo Sabres draft pick Nathan Lieuwen.

Elgin Pearce had three goals and Ismond two goals and three assists for Kootenay (14-5-1), who iced the game by building an 8-0 lead.

Victoria forward Logan Nelson finally broke the ice against Kootenay at 17:09 of the second period. That was added to by Brandon Magee and Kevin Sundher in the third, but it wasn’t nearly enough to stop the Royals from dropping their fifth game in their last six and falling to 11-12-1 overall.

The game was peculiar on a personal level for two players. Royals captain Hayden Rintoul was traded to Victoria over the summer after three years in Kootenay, including last year’s WHL championship season. Going the other way in the deal was seventh-round 2010 Minnesota Wild draft pick Dylen McKinlay. The forward didn’t follow the team across to Victoria but knows many of the Royals players from his three seasons with the franchise in Chilliwack. McKinlay finished with two assists Saturday.

“It’s one of those weekends,” said Habscheid.

the Royal Flush
11-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Hamilton is wildly inconsistent. He has personally stolen a number of games for us that we had no business being in, but on other occasions he seems to lack concentration and appears less than ordinary until replaced.

Hamilton was Portlands backupman and not their starter.Thats where the problems started.We need a starter before things get outta hand.I realize that these are just kids so I am not going to get all neanderthal on them but its time to make some moves.

CdnSailor
11-20-2011, 11:56 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/KootenayIce.gif 8 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 3

Game Highlights
http://youtu.be/7d6Xl2uTaps

1st Period

Ices 1st goal by Jesse Ismond 0:11
Ices 2nd goal by Elgin Pearce 1:12
Ices 3rd goal by Luke Paulsen 1:42

2nd Period

Fight between Royals Brendan Persley and Ice's Jonathon Martin 2:10
Ices 4th goal by Jesse Ismond (SH) 2:35
Ices 5th goal by Elgin Pearce 2:56
Ices 6th goal by Drew Czerwonka 3:25
Ices 7th goal by Elgin Pearce (Hat Trick) 3:40
Ices 8th goal by Jaedon Descheneau 3:57
Royals 1st goal by Logan Nelson 4:08

3rd Period

Royals 2nd goal by Brandon Magee 5:00
Royals 3rd goal by Kevin Sundher 5:17
Bad penalty call on the Royals 5:33
Royals missed penalty shot 6:20

SHOTS 1 2 3 Total
Kootenay Ice 13 12 16 41
Victoria Royals 6 9 13 28

SCORING 1 2 3 Total
Kootenay Ice 3 5 0 8
Victoria Royals 0 1 2 3

3 Stars
1. KTN - 7 Elgin Pearce
2. KTN - 18 Jesse Ismond
3. KTN - 19 Drew Czerwonka
Attendance: 6482

Game Summary
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59625

CdnSailor
11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Highlights of Royals last week and interview with the Royals Coach Marc Habscheid
Starts at the 3:30 mark and then at the 14:15 mark for the interview

http://bcove.me/2uinke0p