PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 Silvertips 1 SO - Nov 19, 2011

dondo
11-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Giants Snipe Bears
Vancouver 2 Everett 1 SO

I was only able to listen to this one sporadically, but from what I heard it was a goaltender’s duel. Adam Morrison faced less shots, but most sounded of the tougher variety. The Giants peppered 16 yr old rookie goalie Austin Lotz, but he saw a ton of them and the Giants were not very good at getting screens in front of him for most of the game. Regardless, you have to be pretty good to turn away 48 of 49 and Lotz was full value as the Giants did at times get some big pressure on him. Morrison had his glove working tonight, snatching away point blank chances and giving his team the chance to press in the offensive zone. A couple of former Giants in Teal Burns and JT Barnett were two of the more dangerous Silvertips in this game. The Tips had one (maybe two?) goals waived off, one for “kicking” the puck into the net. They finally got one behind Morrison mid-second taking advantage of a Giants gaffe and a short-handed rush, letting loose the cowbells as the red light went off and horn blared. The Giants were double digits in shots in every period and were getting some very good chances, but Lotz held them off until the third period when Taylor Makin scored his second of the season off of Dalton Sward. The two teams each got a point and it went to a shootout. Gallagher and Chucky scored to give the visitors the win.

Rookie Watch: Bews (17) played with Sward and Makin a bit and was dangerous. Sward (17) had his chances, laid the body and earned his assist. Bellerive (17) was on the ice late in a tie game, along with Franson (17) who was unlucky not to get some points himself as he was creating chances as well. Kulak (17) was solid on the back-end and had some offensive forays. Vetterl (17) heard his name a few times. Ast (16) and Houck (16) didn’t hear a lot from them. Orban (17) was slotted back in on the rear-guard after being a healthy scratch for many games.

Fight Night: nada

Zebra Cage: Adam Griffiths and Jason Nissen, didn’t hear much one way or the other, but they seemed fairly consistent from what I did hear. The G’s got 4 chances on the PP, while the Tips got 2.

The Giants out shot the Tips 49-24 and needed all of those shots. They went 0 for 4 on the PP, giving up a short-handed tally as their only goal against. The Tips were 0 for 2. From the sounds of it, it wasn’t a very emotional game, but the top line were getting their chances and the other lines playing solid tight hockey. The Giants opponent at the Coliseum tomorrow is the Kootenay Ice, one of the best teams in the league. The Ice started their road trip in Victoria, spanking the Royals 8-3 at home in their game tonight. The Giants have one of the best home ice records and are going to need all of that karma when the Ice come to town. The Ice played their back-up in Victoria, so I expect Lieuwen will get the start in Vancouver, making it tougher for the home squad. I’m hoping the Giants didn’t shoot their bolt on Friday night and still have a few goals left in the bag for the Ice. The puck drops at the Coliseum at 5pm PST as it usually does on Sundays. This will enable people to watch the CFL West Final and still have time to get to the game.

Three Stars

1) Austin Lotz
2) Marek Tvrdon
3) James Henry

Dondo’s Hardhat: Since he wasn’t mentioned in the stars and from what I heard held his team in there for some crucial stretches and made a few breakaway saves, the hardhat goes on Adam Morrison’s head. My wish for him though is to get a Giants focused goalie mask made and ditch his blue and white Blades one.