PDA

View Full Version : Vs Calgary

TalkHockey
11-20-2011, 11:37 AM
I am very happy to finally be able to say our best defensemen tonight was #3 Tyler Yaworski. He played a very simple but effective game.
Bouhris whom I am a big fan of as a energy guy should be in the press box for a few games. I know when your getting spanked it is tough to keep your cool however his lack of discipline in this game will hurt the team in a closer game.
I think each of the raiders goalies would like to have at least 1 sure save that turned into a goal back.
It was no secret we were going to lose at 0-0 after re failed to capitalize on 4 straight powerplays. You knew the reffs would be looking to even things up and that they did. (Although our pk played well)
Our PP system needs to change. Sending a player to sit on the opposing blue line so that that sides defender covers him and then another player is supposed to skate it in and the raider at the blue line starts skating towards center ice which is supposed to draw the defender with him leaving a open hole for the puck to be skated in (or audible to a pass if the defender doesnt move) is not working.
Every time we get set up it is from someone skating it in. Believe it or not this team is quite quick. Let a couple of our skill fwds carry it in and use the drop pass or ring around the boards to the other sides defender. It is simple and effective.

All in all, #3 deserves my first thumbs up, the goalies need to be much better and our forwards did not show up. Time to deal Herrod and Maylan to a contender and use the rest of the season as preparation for next year.

nohockey
11-20-2011, 11:06 PM
the pp is awesome! i have never seen so much skill on a pp than knutsen and hlinka have. and what about herrod and maylan? i heard there was 20 some scouts in calgary just to see those guys play!

TalkHockey
11-21-2011, 12:01 AM
your mixing skill with systems, there is as much skill on that PP as there is on any team. After a couple of PPs that dont work out players try to do too much which makes things worse. Simplify the PP and let the guys do the rest.
I would try a McNeil Maylan Tochkin line up front and tell McNeil to lay off the shoot first mentality while on the PP.