PDA

View Full Version : Could the Giants one day move to Surrey?

Rocko
11-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Greetings my fellow former Giants Beat peeps. I miss you!!

The question is something I've been wondering for a while now, and if it could be a possibility in the next decade?

Dianne Watts has made it known she wants an arena. With Surrey's increasing population, possibly overtaking Vancouver in the next 10-15 years, I wonder if it's possible the Giants could be the main tenant in a new 8000-10,000 seat state of the art arena?

The Coliseum is approaching 50 years old, and even with the Olympics renovation, I can't see it being used in it's current capacity for much longer. However, I'm not architect/engineer, so I could be completely wrong.

Giantsfan
11-25-2011, 10:22 AM
I doubt it. A survey done by the Giants said the majority of their fans live in North Vancouver.

If the WHL were to add an expansion team or relocate a current team, Naniamo would be my first & only guess, once they get a suitable arena.

I have thought for a few years now that Langley would be able to support a WHL franchise. They have a new arena & considering the population of Langley, combined with Surrey, the Tri-Cities & fans from the Valley, there is no doubt in my mind that Langley would be the perfect city for a WHL team.
I know Ron Toigo has the "rights" to the region, but it's no where near Vancouver & once the Port Mann bridge is tolled, who is willing to shell out $6 for a round trip out to the Coliseum? When the Giants held some games in Langley during the Olympics, the rink was 95% sold out & many were not season ticket holders because, according to the Giants, most of their fans from North Vancouver, didn't want to make the trek out there in rush hour.

I think the Lower Mainland is big enough for the Giants, a team in Langley & a team in Chilliwack. I live in Langley, & believe me, there is easily enough population to support all three.

I wouldn't want to see the WHL in Surrey, not over Langley because during rush hour, it can take about 45 minutes to get from Langley to the skytrain. I'm sick of fighting traffic going to the games. Last year, when I worked for the Bruins, it took me about the same amount of time getting to the Wack as it would getting into Vancouver.

Also, a new rink in Surrey would probably charge for parking, whereas in Langley, it's free.

Rocko
11-25-2011, 06:21 PM
I was one of those non-season ticket holders that went to a Giants game when they were in Langley. Beautiful arena. I forgot it holds 5200 for hockey. For some reason it seems a lot smaller than Prospera Centre, when it only holds 100 less. Maybe the building itself actually is smaller, I don't know.

Thanks for the info on the where the majority of season ticket holders are living. Once the Port Mann puts its toll on, it could divide the region in a way where the WHL could once again look at the Valley. That could very well mean Langley. Abbotsford would be another likely target, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try and push for the Canucks AHL affiliate down the road.

Giantsfan
11-25-2011, 09:55 PM
The Heat aren't going anywhere. They signed a 10 year lease & the Canucks had their chance to move there but decided to stay in Winnipeg & it was too late to move to Abby after that.

I do think the region is big enough for at least 1 more WHL team, but there are also many BCHL teams around & they already have a tough time getting fans into the building so if another Dub team was to move to Langley or Chilliwack, some more shuffling of the BCHL teams would be in order.

Like I said, I really don't see it happening, because Toigo has the rights to the area, even though it's no where near Vancouver, & most of their fans live in Vancouver. It's really a shame because the Giants are going to lose out on some fans who live on the other side of the Port Mann who aren't gonna shell out $216 extra just to get to the games.

dondo
11-26-2011, 01:44 AM
answer: NO!