PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 Raiders 4 OT - Nov 25, 2011

dondo
11-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Raiders Rob Giants
Vancouver 3 Prince Albert 4 OT

My recap tonight is a full on box score interpretation. I did not see or hear the game. From the numbers it seemed like a fairly balanced game all-around. Shots were close, PP chances even and there were a couple of fights, one of which had former Giant Tyler Hart in the fray. The G’s scored first and then added another one in second period on their only PP goal of the game, coming just after a fight between Wes Van.. and Austin Bourhis. The Raiders got one back in last minute of the second and added another in the third tying up the game. The Giants got that lead back at 19:17 of the third and then gave up the tying marker with 9 seconds left in the game. Not impressed. The Raiders got the extra point in OT to get a win they probably should not have had. I am personally irritated we lost to the Raiders, but to lose that way kind of makes the bile creep up the back of my throat. The sad thing is that usually rock solid Sward, Martinook and Makin were on the ice for that tying goal.

Taylor Makin opened the scoring in the first off of the newest Giant, D-man Eric Walker. Marek Tvrdon scored a PP marker late in the second, with Neil Manning getting the lone assist. The Raiders got that back with time ticking down in the second. They added one more late in the third to tie the game at 2’s. Austin Vetterl set-up Jordan Martinook for what he and team would have believed would be the game winner at 19:17 in the final frame, but PA managed to tie the game again 34 seconds later. PA scored the OT winner at 3:05 of the extra frame to get the second point. Credit PA for not giving in and battling back but by the fact that the final tying marker and the game winner both came with a single assist I can only surmise that the G’s got sloppy with the puck and were their own worst enemies.

The Raiders barely out-shot the Giants 35-33, as both ‘tenders were kept busy. The G’s went 1 for 5 on their PP, while holding PA to 0 for 5. Giving up a two goal and one goal lead in the game is disappointing to me. The minuses on the squad were spread pretty evenly across the roster. No one player seemed to be at fault and they took the loss as a team. From the types of penalties it sounded like some pretty energized and emotional hockey and I expect the Raiders fans went home with broad smiles and a feeling like they dodged a bullet. Which they did. I’d be interested to know how the game unfolded and how both PA and Giants fans felt about the game and the out-come. Credit the Raiders for not giving up and making the most of their most recent acquisition in Kellan Tochkin who is rarely not a dangerous player. Tvrdon and Vetterl were the only pluses on the team, surprisingly enough and Sward carried the only –2. The Giants have little time to recover as they take on the Broncos tomorrow night. The puck drops at 5pm PST tomorrow in Swift Current.

Three Stars

1. Justin Maylan
2. Anthony Ast
3. Eric Williams

Dondo’s Hardhat: I think has to go to Anthony Ast, no points, an even player, but for the 16 yr old to get second star honours he must have had a hell of a game and maybe a bit of bad luck. I would like to know what he did to get noticed.

Giantsfan
11-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I watched the game & Ast was invisible & barely played. If you wanna give out a hardhat it would have to go to Makin who was again, involved physically.

If the Giants actually skated in the first period, they would have won this game, but they were flat, & let PA dictate the game & it cost them 1 point they should have easily had.

westbeach55
11-26-2011, 10:27 AM
they play the blades tonight not broncos. vancouver will have to come out really hard tonight as the blades will bring a tough physical game and only have one loss at home this year

JMoney1988
11-26-2011, 04:27 PM
This should be a good game, are you guys sending a fan bus, if so where are you guys sitting, we are ready to light morrison up ha ha, I can't really say what morrison will show up tonight.

lordstanley
11-26-2011, 10:15 PM
This should be a good game, are you guys sending a fan bus, if so where are you guys sitting, we are ready to light morrison up ha ha, I can't really say what morrison will show up tonight.

The good one showed up

dondo
11-26-2011, 11:09 PM
they play the blades tonight not broncos. vancouver will have to come out really hard tonight as the blades will bring a tough physical game and only have one loss at home this year

yeah thanks -- discovered I read the wrong date too late :rolleyes: oops

so if Ast was invisible -- why did he get second star honours? Or is that yet another WHL box-score typo?

Sabes
11-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Typo. Should be tvrdon.

dondo
11-26-2011, 11:49 PM
^ ahh mmk I thought it was odd .. thanks Sabes -- trusting WHL box scores can sometimes be tricky ... lemme guess --they fixed it by now