PDA

View Full Version : No mem Cup bid?

RDRebelsfan
06-19-2005, 01:17 PM
If the Rebs were going to bid....it'd be impossible to upgrade to 8000 seats by the 07 cup? Unless it was done during the off season.

Comments?

rdreb
06-19-2005, 06:08 PM
The seat have been payed for when the place was put up.

All you have to do is put in the soports as all the other work has been done.

The board for the Westner need to get there heads out of the sand and just do it.

We need to get some young people on the board.

The City of Red Deer,and the Westner net to get out of the 50's and into the present time. :mad:

jmop

RDRebelsfan
06-20-2005, 05:40 AM
The seat have been payed for when the place was put up.

All you have to do is put in the soports as all the other work has been done.

The board for the Westner need to get there heads out of the sand and just do it.

We need to get some young people on the board.

The City of Red Deer,and the Westner net to get out of the 50's and into the present time. :mad:

jmop

So it could be done in a short period time? Without bothering any of the fans going to the games? I suppose that's what the green curtains cover up?

Tinner
06-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Here are a few of the reasons I have heard and they all sound like excuses or issues relating to money, except for one, which I beleive is the real reason.

1. Seating: A) the Westerner would put the seats in if there was a bid and were sucessful. They would accomplish it during the off season because they would have everything ready to go once the 2005-06 season ends. Cost is a factor and B) once the seats were in, can the Rebels keep them filled and can the Westerner attract bigger concerts. I say yes.

2. Brent doesn't want to play in front of 6000 fans in a 9000-10000 seat rink. Keeping the rink full and making season tickets hard to get means he can up the price of a ticket, like was done this year. If tickets are easy to get, pricing has to reflect demand.

3. The reason I think is most plausable....in talking with Brent, in order to ice a competitive and strong team that could win, whether as the league champion or host team, means trading youth and talent for older players, therfore maybe hurting the team for the future. (similar to what the Regina Pats did)

3. Lastly, the "upfront" money that places like Saskatoon, Calgary and Vancouver can offer because of the size of their rinks. We here in Red Deer know we can sell out every game with 10000 seats. Calgary knows they will sell out every game with 18000 seats. You do the math! And they also know that alot of seats will be bought by the same people who would by them here.

So this is why I think there is not going to be a bid. I think its too bad that the Rebels think they should'nt because we would deserve a tournament of this magnitude. The City would rock with enthusiasm and the City is growing rapidly. Upgrading the rink would be paid off with this one event??? The supporters deserve better than any excuse that crops up. Will the team's future be depleted....who knows. Will we still support the team in bad times....again I say yes. Fans in Red Deer are hockey fans....we come to watch the game and hope the home team wins, but we come to watch hockey.

Now, if we could just fix the other problems....like sprucing up the rink, allow fans to have fun at the games etc. we could all make going to a game an event, just like some other rinks/cities have.

RDRebelsfan
06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Here are a few of the reasons I have heard and they all sound like excuses or issues relating to money, except for one, which I beleive is the real reason.

1. Seating: A) the Westerner would put the seats in if there was a bid and were sucessful. They would accomplish it during the off season because they would have everything ready to go once the 2005-06 season ends. Cost is a factor and B) once the seats were in, can the Rebels keep them filled and can the Westerner attract bigger concerts. I say yes.

2. Brent doesn't want to play in front of 6000 fans in a 9000-10000 seat rink. Keeping the rink full and making season tickets hard to get means he can up the price of a ticket, like was done this year. If tickets are easy to get, pricing has to reflect demand.

3. The reason I think is most plausable....in talking with Brent, in order to ice a competitive and strong team that could win, whether as the league champion or host team, means trading youth and talent for older players, therfore maybe hurting the team for the future. (similar to what the Regina Pats did)

3. Lastly, the "upfront" money that places like Saskatoon, Calgary and Vancouver can offer because of the size of their rinks. We here in Red Deer know we can sell out every game with 10000 seats. Calgary knows they will sell out every game with 18000 seats. You do the math! And they also know that alot of seats will be bought by the same people who would by them here.

So this is why I think there is not going to be a bid. I think its too bad that the Rebels think they should'nt because we would deserve a tournament of this magnitude. The City would rock with enthusiasm and the City is growing rapidly. Upgrading the rink would be paid off with this one event??? The supporters deserve better than any excuse that crops up. Will the team's future be depleted....who knows. Will we still support the team in bad times....again I say yes. Fans in Red Deer are hockey fans....we come to watch the game and hope the home team wins, but we come to watch hockey.

Now, if we could just fix the other problems....like sprucing up the rink, allow fans to have fun at the games etc. we could all make going to a game an event, just like some other rinks/cities have.

Good points, I tihnk the fun factor is a huge issue. Like some people that go to the games are nearly afraid to cheer. Someone needs to ignite the crowd somehow. No offence to Wully Bully but he doesn't cut it.....

gizzy
06-23-2005, 04:49 PM
I have it on good authority that no teams (Rebels, Hitmen, etc) will be making a bid. The Vancouver Giants will bid and get the Memorial Cup. None of the other teams are even bothering to bid, as the Giants can offer up the most revenue and thats all that counts. They can promise the most money. Sucks for sure, but unfortunately that's what counts to the WHL.