PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 Warriors 3 SO - Nov 29, 2011

dondo
11-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Giants Trump Warriors
Vancouver 4 Moose Jaw 3 SO

I listened to bits of this one, but it was an evenly played game with the Giants scoring on their first two PP opportunities. Newest Giant Eric Walker dropped the mitts with Cody Beach and just got demolished, no contest and Walker was in way over his head. This was after the Giants scored when Beach took a charging penalty and was looking for some pay-back with, whoever. The G’s lead the game 2-1 after one. They padded that lead early in the second, before allowing a goal against the next shift. It was one of those games, where it did not take the Warriors much time to respond after being scored upon. Beach scored a PP marker in the second to tie the game and that’s how it would stay until the dying seconds of the third when the Giants got themselves a rush, the puck went in off of Henry’s skate and the goal was waived off. It didn’t sound like there was a distinct kicking motion but rather stopped by the skate before going in. The call could have gone either way, but the call on the ice stood. The Warriors controlled the play in OT getting 5 shots to 0 versus the Giants in the extra frame, but failing to solve Adam Morrison who when playing for the Blades had a very good record versus Moose Jaw, which is good as the Giants have never faired well in the regular season versus the Warriors. Matt Bellerive got the only goal in the shoot out as it went for five rounds.

Jordan Martinook opened the scoring in the first, tipping a Marek Tvrdon shot past Luke Siemens. Brendan Gallagher got the other helper. Moose Jaw responded about five minutes later. The G’s used another PP chance to pull ahead again. As I heard it called on the ice, Gallagher lifted a back-hand past Siemens for his first goal in a few games, but the stats on the WHL box score site has Martinook with the goal, so I am not sure if he got a piece. The WHL site has the goal scored by Martinook for his second of the game, assisted by Tvrdon and Gally. Dalton Sward scored off the rush early in the second off of a play started by the Giants netminder (Morrison) and Taylor Makin, giving his team a 3-1 lead. The Warriors responded less than a minute later with one of their own. They added one on the PP ( 5 on 3 at that point if I’m not mistaken) late in the second to tie the game and that’s how it would stay until the shootout. Morrison turned away a penalty shot in the second as Tvrdon was caught with yet another lazy hook on a player who got by him at the point. He’s a deadly PP quarterback, but his defensive skills and speed still leave something to be desired. Shootout went for five rounds, with Bellerive garnering the only goal and the two points for the Giants.

Rookie Watch: Orban (17) was throwing his body around a bit, okay on the back-end. Kulak (17) had some dangerous moments. Bellerive (17) seemed to be getting some decent ice-time. Sward (17) playing with Makin and Bews (17) had their moments and scored a goal. Vetterl (17) I didn’t hear a lot about. Houck (16) played big and had some moments.

Fight Night: Cody Beach v Eric Walker, Beach annihilated Walker with uppercuts and way too many landed punches. Walker had to go to the bench to get cleaned up before going to the penalty box.

Zebra Cage: Nathan Wieler and Chris Crich. Early on it sounded like the Warriors were being undisciplined and taking some dumb over-zealous penalties, but then the ice evened out. Not seeing specific infractions it felt consistent on the orange stripe front from what I heard.

The Warriors out shot the Giants 34-26, using the OT to pad their shot stats. The G’s were 2 for 4 on their PP and they needed that advantage. The Warriors were 1 for 4. The Giants played a smart clean first period, but were drawn into a run and gun style, not their strong suit, in the second and paid the price. With seconds ticking down in the middle frame they almost gave up a goal when they were scrambling heavily in their own end of the ice. They also had to weather some man and two man-advantages, which got them off of their game. They calmed down in the third, playing patient hockey and securing at least a point. No calls were made in the third period, after the rush to the box in the latter part of the second. I’m not sure if the refs just put away the whistles in final stanza, or that the players were playing cleaner better positional hockey. The Giants have 5 pts out of three games so far on this road trip. I’m hoping Whistle gets a start here somewhere.

The G’s move on East to Brandon for another tilt tomorrow night versus the Wheat Kings. The Brandon squad sit firmly in the middle of their division and their conference in a tightly contested East. The Giants hope to continue their winning ways tomorrow when the puck drops at 5pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Brendan Gallagher
2. Quinton Howden
3. David Musil

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Gally .. looked to have jump in this one and either had 2 assists or a goal and an assist depending upon how dependable the box score stats are. Regardless he was all over the ice and making things happen and frequently appeared dangerous.

Giantsfan
11-30-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd like to see Bonner acquire a legit tough guy like Jake Doty from Seattle, instead of acquiring a guy, who they say is really tough, only to see him get destroyed. It's ****in' embarrassing to see a teammate get hammered. Bonner once told me that it is demoralizing for the team when that happens. Why doesn't he do something about it then? Vannieuwenhuizen hasn't fought much this season, & McNaughton, while game, is still green in that department & shouldn't be the guy expected to take on the tough guys. Makin is game, but he isn't really a fighter, & would get killed if he fought some of the big boys of the league. Sure, the Dub is weak in terms of real toughness, but it doesn't hurt to have a heavyweight on the team & will give the players the confidence to play in those gritty games.

mjw22
11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=dondo;173381]Giants Trump Warriors

Newest Giant Eric Walker dropped the mitts with Cody Beach and just got demolished, no contest and Walker was in way over his head. This was after the Giants scored when Beach took a charging penalty and was looking for some pay-back with, whoever.
Fight Night: Cody Beach v Eric Walker, Beach annihilated Walker with uppercuts and way too many landed punches. Walker had to go to the bench to get cleaned up before going to the penalty box.quote

It was long after Beach took his penalty. They were lined up for a face off yapping and skated out and your guy threw about one punch before he got pummeled . He went to the dressing room for new jersey due to blood from broken nose. Another of your guys got one punched by Ferland tonight you might want to get a tough guy lol

Giantsfan
11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Exactly, this is what I have been saying for 4 seasons now. The Giants are not tough enough. Sure tougher than last season when Lyon was moved, McNaught was injured but overall, they desperately need a legit tough guy. They haven't had one since the days of Lucic. Hunt was game, but over matched almost every fight, & McNaught was done after about 5 games.
Tonight, rookie Kiefer McNaughton got KO'd by Ferland & was pretty wobbly getting off the ice. This is two games in a row where a guy has gotten pummeled & as a fan, it's embarrassing because the Giants used to be the team other guys feared or at least were weary about but this is a trend that needs to be addressed. The goaltending was addressed, the dead weight of T.Burns, Redmond & Lamoureux was addressed, the defense was addressed, now it's time for the toughness issue to be fixed. McNaughton has lost his last two fights vs Traber & Ferland badly, & since Wes doesn't seem as interested as last season, it's time for Bonner to pick up a legitimate heavyweight.
I don't want to see "my team" pushed around & intimidated. How many more beatings & losses are the Giants going to have to take for Bonner to wake up & address this situation, the same one he addressed last season by picking up McNaught. There are players available so go out & get one.

dondo
12-01-2011, 03:07 AM
[QUOTE=dondo;173381]Giants Trump Warriors

Newest Giant Eric Walker dropped the mitts with Cody Beach and just got demolished, no contest and Walker was in way over his head. This was after the Giants scored when Beach took a charging penalty and was looking for some pay-back with, whoever.
Fight Night: Cody Beach v Eric Walker, Beach annihilated Walker with uppercuts and way too many landed punches. Walker had to go to the bench to get cleaned up before going to the penalty box.quote

It was long after Beach took his penalty. They were lined up for a face off yapping and skated out and your guy threw about one punch before he got pummeled . He went to the dressing room for new jersey due to blood from broken nose. Another of your guys got one punched by Ferland tonight you might want to get a tough guy lol

It was about about five minutes after the penalty in actuality, which is enough memory time imo - yeah I'm sure Beach did nothing to encourage the fight .. and yeah Walker made a bad choice, but Walker isn't really our tough guy. Wes Van. McNaughton (who got caught by Ferland tonight) Makin and Houck are better fighters. We actually have some toughness on the squad, but Walker was definitely out-matched.

Sure we don't have a Lucic anymore, but we are getting a bit bigger and tougher bit by bit. Getting a cro-magnon who can't skate, doesn't help us, so we need toughness and some skill.

GF did you ever watch Hunt? He was small but mighty.. and he demolished guys a foot plus taller than he was. He was fearless and one of the best fighters in the league at the time. He always got inside and fed rabbit punches that could stun a horse from below.

Giantsfan
12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Hunt wasn't near one of the toughest in the league. I'm not sure you were watching the same Garet Hunt I was. He lost a lot more than he won. His arms were too short, but he was fearless & fun to watch. Guys kept their head up when he was on the ice.
Getting Elliot or Doty wouldn't do anything but add much needed size & toughness. That's never a bad thing IMO.