PDA

View Full Version : Started To Get Wins

TalkHockey
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Ill be the first to change the negativity to some positives...

Playing fantastic, PP looking good, hard back checking from everyone and the players are playing with confidence. Maybe Steve is/was the answer. Is it too late to think about one hell of a run?

Ruopp- Playing great and is a very solid shut down d man. I feel like some of the PIMS he takes are just because he is stronger than the other guy.

Yaworski- I was so happy watching him not retaliate, take a couple shots to the face which led to a 5-3. Major praise was deserved. I guess we can let the 3 minors he took after this slide as he gave the raiders the 5-3!!!

Bourhis- A lot of fun to watch over the past couple games. He is seeing more ice time and has really taken on a understanding of his role. He doesnt have to drop the gloves to be a physical force. Laying a solid check each shift gives the team just as much if not more momentum.

McNeil - What else can you say....he is playing like the player the hawks drafted first overall. I think the confidence he gained from his big night is going to be huge for this team moving forward.

Morrissey - He has much to learn when handling the puck in his own zone. When in the offensive zone you couldnt ask for a better rookie d man to be on the ice.

Corbin- God D******, shoot low. Wicked slap shot but is not effective when he is cranking them high. No player will go to the net for you in fear of getting beaned. Spend a practice working on low one timers and this guy could be getting a point per game.

Maylan- Did we trade Dobrowloski straight for Maylan? If so Bruno deserves some credit. Maylan leading in G,A and Pts this year with James done in the dub.

Hlinka- Does anyone else get excited seeing him get confidence. 4 of his 6 points in the last 2 of his 13 games played. Keep this up and we have a superstar.

Herrod- The last guy on this team to have his heart questioned. Every time he touches that ice you know he will do whatever it takes to get the win for his team.

Tochkin- Reports he had attitude issues may have been true however if anyone is going to straighten that out it will be Manson. His play on the ice has been more than anyone could have asked for. He has gelled with all line combinations and I believe Kellan and Mark will feed off each other in a great way!

Williams- I dont care how good everyone plays, unless Williams is on his game we won't win. The true sign of this "team" is when williams lets a few weak ones by and the team battles back for you. Williams then steals the rest of the show. Last night against MJ he showed what he can do and why he deserves to be drafted!

Lets keep this train running. The team has looked better each game under Steve and from what I understand Manson plays a huge role with this team. I cant imagine getting much better than beating 3 of the top teams in the league. The back up goalie against debate is pointless. MJ goalie lastnight stood on his head. The Ice starting goalie had a chance to win it but didnt and I do not re call who the giants started.

Bruno really might not be that bad of a GM based on some of the players he has brought in. The scouts are showing their worth in some of the young players we have playing and the coaches have done what we all thought impossible in such a short period of time.
Raider Nation needs to get behind this team and pack the AHC. Its tough to imgine how good this team could be with the added confidence of a playoff crowd behind them!

I am not saying we are championship bound but lets have fun while we are doing well. The only downside of this is, what happens if we have won 80% of our remaining games come the trade deadline? What do we do then? I personally leave the team as is if we are on a pace that would get us into the playoffs. Anything less (even 70% of wins) and you have to look into the future.

AAAScout
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
wow, so we went from the worst team in the league to the best thing since sliced bread and lets give everyone 5 year contract extensions and we are making the playoffs?

scouts are great, Bruno is a genius, Steve Young is the best coach ever and hang on to your hats its Memorial Cup time?

Yikes, the season is a long one, there are many ups and downs and so far there have been many more downs then ups, wait it out and see how it finishes off before any decisions are made, good or bad it will all play itself out in the full schedule.

Never make a decision on a 3 game losing streak or a 2 game winning streak...and that is all we have a 2 game winning streak, don't start the parade just yet, but it has been more fun to watch the last 4 games.

Dwight Schrute
12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
well im just happy to see a win. so long as we get an 8th win this year i'll be somewhat pleased lol

i hear those 7 win seasons really suck :p

lordstanley
12-05-2011, 07:08 PM
well im just happy to see a win. so long as we get an 8th win this year i'll be somewhat pleased lol

i hear those 7 win seasons really suck :p

Haha funny 7 win season i went to 34 out for 36 homes game during that 7 win season thank god they made up for it then by having 5 40 win season out of the last 7

TalkHockey
12-05-2011, 07:10 PM
AAAScout, I apologize my post was so boring that you couldnt quite make it through the entire thing.
I believe I made reference in the final sentence that I know this means nothing but lets have fun with it while it lasts.

XCHEKR
12-05-2011, 08:11 PM
AAAScout, I apologize my post was so boring that you couldnt quite make it through the entire thing.
I believe I made reference in the final sentence that I know this means nothing but lets have fun with it while it lasts.

Some people like to see the glass as half empty rather than half full:( Would it be so hard to say Congratulations on another win boys! And yes ..... it is enjoyable, now let the boys know that AAA! It irritates the you know what out of me when I read comments like that! We are awfully lucky we have a whl team in the city > now lets cut out this complaining and get with the program and show your support like some of the rest of us are doing!!!

AAAScout
12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Some people like to see the glass as half empty rather than half full:( Would it be so hard to say Congratulations on another win boys! And yes ..... it is enjoyable, now let the boys know that AAA! It irritates the you know what out of me when I read comments like that! We are awfully lucky we have a whl team in the city > now lets cut out this complaining and get with the program and show your support like some of the rest of us are doing!!!

I'm sorry you couldn't make it through my whole post, I did say it has been alot more fun to watch the last 4. As for showing my support, I very rarely miss a game, if that is not showing support I guess I am missing the boat on that one?

I am a realist, not half full or half empty, just the truth, and the truth is we are in second last place and if we don't do something to change this "hope for 8th place" mentality we won't have a team much longer as nobody is showing up to watch or support the team(i do go to the games and not many others seem to be doing the same). We need to not concentrate so much on this year every year, we need to truly concentrate on the organization as a whole and "rebuild" for the next several years, not just the playoffs one year, we need the playoffs several years in a row.

sorry for ruining the party, just trying to be realistic.

mjw22
12-05-2011, 09:45 PM

You sound like a really old dude . Lucky to have a team lol you're probably one of the ones who said who needs a boom and progress we're just lucky to have a province to live in :D

XCHEKR
12-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry you couldn't make it through my whole post, I did say it has been alot more fun to watch the last 4. As for showing my support, I very rarely miss a game, if that is not showing support I guess I am missing the boat on that one?

I am a realist, not half full or half empty, just the truth, and the truth is we are in second last place and if we don't do something to change this "hope for 8th place" mentality we won't have a team much longer as nobody is showing up to watch or support the team(i do go to the games and not many others seem to be doing the same). We need to not concentrate so much on this year every year, we need to truly concentrate on the organization as a whole and "rebuild" for the next several years, not just the playoffs one year, we need the playoffs several years in a row.

sorry for ruining the party, just trying to be realistic.

THEY WON ANOTHER GAME!!! That is real! How about "Good Job Boys" , "Way to Go" or however you would like to put it after a team wins! I've been a season ticket holder for years going to games back in the SJHL years so definitely have seen good times along with some bumps in the road but I surely don't want to waste my time complaining when they come off a few straight wins! Why is it so hard for you to say something positive the team has done? And by that, not just saying the last few were more enjoyable to watch. By reading your post it sounds more like you want to complain about the coaching, board and to heck with the players and maybe their accomplishments they have been showing:confused: Lets enjoy what they have shown us fans lately!!!

XCHEKR
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
You sound like a really old dude . Lucky to have a team lol you're probably one of the ones who said who needs a boom and progress we're just lucky to have a province to live in :D

Just taking a stab here , but my guess is you are definitely not up in years and have no clue what it took to become part of the WHL .... go have a chat with your grandpa > maybe he could help you out with that one! Kids nowadays!;)

mjw22
12-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Just taking a stab here , but my guess is you are definitely not up in years and have no clue what it took to become part of the WHL .... go have a chat with your grandpa > maybe he could help you out with that one! Kids nowadays!;)

Been around long enough to have seen Chelios play in the crushed can in the sjhl. long enough to know MJ was a founding member of the original whl so guess again great grandpa :D old old people nowadays:o

Wapitikev
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM

We need to rebuild? Try this "truth" on for size.

How many of the players from the Raiders Draft years, PROIR to Mr. Campese becoming GM, are still playing any significant role (or any role at all) in the W?

Brandon Herrod. Any one else?

Now, how many since the 2008 draft, when Mr. Campese was GM, are playing?

In the summer of 2008, the cupboard for future years was bare. The GM took inherited players with average (or less) potential and traded for players like McCallum, Parker, Maylan, Hlinka, and others ...finding quality players for little or nothing (aka winning trades) is the only way this team even comes close to the playoffs in 2009, 2010 or 2011, because few or none of our (improved) bantam drafts were old enough to play, yet.

The problem this year is that, without mortgaging the future, the list of players that you can trade to get better is shorter than it has ever been under GM Campese.

In other words, this year is the "year voted most likely to suck" compared to past years (where you could trade almost anybody) and future years (where you won't need to trade as much because the majority of your roster is full of decent draft picks).

Next year we have the potential to be watching an opening lineup that includes McNeil, Ruop, Fiddler, Hlinka, Knutsen, Williams, Danyluk, Winther, Lange, Feibelkorn, Morrissey, Mahura, Vanstone, Gardiner.

That's 1000% more promising than our fall 2009 lineup!

That's called rebuilding.

Until the end of 2014, when there is a full team of Campese-drafted players, from 20-year-olds on-down, we won’t know the true legacy of Mr. Campese’s GM work.

The guy hasn't even been GM for 4 years yet...and has accomplished a lot after starting with almost nothing. It's a little early to be scrapping a 5-year plan that isn't finished until February 2013 in order to re-start rebuilding.

I agree more with your previous statement

Yikes, the season is a long one...wait it out and see how it finishes off before any decisions are made, good or bad it will all play itself out in the full schedule.

Good advice.

But the only ones who need to change their "this-year mentality" are fans who cannot see the forest for the trees.

-Wapitikev

the voice
12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I've said it many times....this team has talent. I predict there are players who will develop soon into contributors and we'll ask "Where'd he come from?" Players are playing the system, playing whatever role the coaches want, and are team players. A few are flying under the radar. When you combine all the parts, you get wins much like what we've seen lately, but I even predict better. Adding Mahura, Santucci and calling up Gardiner, Vanstone or others sometime will round out development. Looking forward to Danyluk joining the squad. I think we tend to forget he has the potential to be a huge part of the puzzle. He'll be hungry as hell also.

Wapitikev
12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I've said it many times....this team has talent. I predict there are players who will develop soon into contributors and we'll ask "Where'd he come from?" Players are playing the system, playing whatever role the coaches want, and are team players. A few are flying under the radar. When you combine all the parts, you get wins much like what we've seen lately, but I even predict better. Adding Mahura, Santucci and calling up Gardiner, Vanstone or others sometime will round out development. Looking forward to Danyluk joining the squad. I think we tend to forget he has the potential to be a huge part of the puzzle. He'll be hungry as hell also.

Bang-on on Danyluk (and others, but I digress).

There is no way, (without the injury) that he doesn't get an extended tryout on the top line with all those losses piling up after the West-coast trip.

-Wapitikev

Trav
12-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Winther seems to be doing pretty good rite now. To bad our 17's aren't scoring like he is.

Wapitikev
12-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Winther seems to be doing pretty good rite now. To bad our 17's aren't scoring like he is.

True, he's starting to justify the 1st round Bantam pick GM Campese spent on him in 2009. Danyluk (that year's 2nd round pick) being injured since mid-October has allowed Winther the ice-time to develop nicely.

But they were the only two 16 year-olds we carried last year.

Perreault, Knowler, and Braid are all rookies this year and were undrafted coming into camp.

Lange, the 17yo D-man (and a 4th round bantam pick) has more points than any of them. Granted he doesn't look like Morrissey, yet, but he is starting to develop nicely since the coaching change (and Vanscourt trade). Way to go PA kid!

Hopefully Winther continues to break-out and Danyluk can shake off the rust quickly when he returns…would be nice to see another 2 NHL draft picks playing for us next fall.

-Wapitikev

bigjimmer
12-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Wapitikev, your comments are a welcoming addition to this site. I haven't said a lot on this board all season because the Campese bashers lynch you on here. However, I've always said this club is heading under the right direction under Campese and Derkatch. Young being the Head Coach is the right step in development. 2012-2013 could be a year like none other....sadly though we know what the board will do in the off season and next year we'll begin the rebuild again.

Wapitikev
12-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Interesting addendum to the 17yo discussion and more evidence that the rebuild is already well underway:

It is a real tragedy that Danyluk is out for so many games in his NHLdraft-year; last year he had 5 more points in 7 fewer games than Winther. Some were scouting him as a possible 1st-round NHL draft pick this summer.

That would have been the first time since '96 that a Raiders player was picked in the 1st round in consecutive NHL drafts.

Lets hope that Winther or Danyluk can continue to develop enough (and grow a bit) to become 1st-round NHL material.

With Morrissey projecting well to be a 1st round pick in 2013, that would be the first time since '86 that the Raiders produced 1st round picks in 3 consecutive years.

But, even if Winther or Danyluk don't go in the first round, just getting one of them drafted (in any round) would be the first time since 2005 that the club had players picked in consecutive NHL drafts (the longest drought in team history).

Here's to a quick recovery for Shane and and continued success for Mike!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
12-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Wapitikev, your comments are a welcoming addition to this site. I haven't said a lot on this board all season because the Campese bashers lynch you on here. However, I've always said this club is heading under the right direction under Campese and Derkatch. Young being the Head Coach is the right step in development. 2012-2013 could be a year like none other....sadly though we know what the board will do in the off season and next year we'll begin the rebuild again.

Thanx for the kind words, BigJ.

I sincerely hope that the hailstorm is over and the boys make a run at it. They deserve some success after the adversity they've faced so far this season; their current work ethic should pay off.

When I talk to the board members I know, I bring up the same points I've listed here...particularly the fact that Mr. Campese hasn't even completed 4 years with the club yet. Just because he is not Brian Burke (who could turn around a stinker in 3 years) does not mean that there are a plethora of Brian Burkes waiting to trek off to Northern Saskatchewan and work their miracles, here.

More likely there are few or none that the Board could get to do so.

The Board needs to (continue to) show composure and class and let the plan run its course until the end of 2013. By then they can either have someone else in their back pocket to take over or they can extend the contract of the best GM that PA has had in the last decade.

Either way, the GM in charge of the 2013 bantam draft will have considerably more talent on his existing team than Mr. Campese did in 2008.

Now if only we could somehow draft better referees.

Heh.

Cheers, all.

-Wapitikev

the voice
12-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Give them time and they'll score. Winther is doing great lately. Powerplay helps, but he does well 5 on 5 also. Our other 17's are playing a role asked of them on limited icetime. According to the roster Braid is physically mature and just turned 17, Perreaux isn't 17 yet and likely still growing. Knowler is on 3rd line and pk I believe and doing well. Danyluk will definitely do well real soon as a second year man. Winther is a second year man enjoying powerplay time and top line icetime. He had rookie icetime last year, possibly more to develop. Possibly he is more of a pure scorer...who's to say. I can guarantee our 17's are going to be very good next year and have already started to show signs they'll be good this year. It's all part of the development as a team. We can't hold back those who are ready, just like we can't rush those who need to develop and gain experience. It's all good....we are battling as a team. Plus we can't forget there are players who get healthy scratched at times who are waiting in the wings. They are also a big part of this team. It takes many different parts to work together.

Dwight Schrute
12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanx for the kind words, BigJ.

I sincerely hope that the hailstorm is over and the boys make a run at it. They deserve some success after the adversity they've faced so far this season; their current work ethic should pay off.

When I talk to the board members I know, I bring up the same points I've listed here...particularly the fact that Mr. Campese hasn't even completed 4 years with the club yet. Just because he is not Brian Burke (who could turn around a stinker in 3 years) does not mean that there are a plethora of Brian Burkes waiting to trek off to Northern Saskatchewan and work their miracles, here.

More likely there are few or none that the Board could get to do so.

The Board needs to (continue to) show composure and class and let the plan run its course until the end of 2013. By then they can either have someone else in their back pocket to take over or they can extend the contract of the best GM that PA has had in the last decade.

Either way, the GM in charge of the 2013 bantam draft will have considerably more talent on his existing team than Mr. Campese did in 2008.

Now if only we could somehow draft better referees.

Heh.

Cheers, all.

-Wapitikev
not to nitpick but he was hired in the spring of 2007 and 4 months into the season he was named gm. and has 4 complete seasons as head coach. in a month is will be 4 years since he was named gm. he has been with the club for 4.5 years 320 games in the regular season. and one 6 game playoff series.

i am happy to see a couple wins. but still hope to see the team play the rookies and move vets for young assets. the differance between picking 1st or 2nd overall and picking 5th or 6th this spring could be a huge one.

HockeyGuru
12-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Mathew Barzal is the #1 pick in draft,he is head and shoulders above anyone else in draft.If your not going to make playoffs hopefully Raiders can get the #1 pick or have a lottery chance.

Wapitikev
12-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Two can nitpick at that game...

not to nitpick but he was hired in the spring of 2007 and 4 months into the season he was named gm.

True he was Head Coach in 2007 but we both know how much influence the Coach has on player acquisition and scouting, compared to the GM. THAT was the problem with this team in 2007...no players of substance on the roster or in the pipeline (Herrod being the exception to that rule).

Who changed that in 4 years (less a month)?

...and a month shy of 19 does not let you get into a bar. So, a month shy of 4 years is still "under 4 years."

This team's record could look substantially better in one month.

...and has 4 complete seasons as head coach. In a month is will be 4 years since he was named gm. he has been with the club for 4.5 years 320 games in the regular season. and one 6 game playoff series.

A playoff run that, with the exception of Herrod, was driven completely by players GM Campesi acquired with the dregs he was saddled with by the previous GM, not to mention a stellar draft pick, by him, in 2008.

i am happy to see a couple wins.

A couple is two. Three wins is a few...and they were consecutive against the top end of the league.

but still hope to see the team play the rookies and move vets for young assets.

Your wish has been granted...Vanscourt moved on so that Lange and Morrissey could develop.

the differance between picking 1st or 2nd overall and picking 5th or 6th this spring could be a huge one.

Based on his draft-record, GM Campese can be counted on to draft well, no matter where he picks.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Mathew Barzal is the #1 pick in draft,he is head and shoulders above anyone else in draft.If your not going to make playoffs hopefully Raiders can get the #1 pick or have a lottery chance.

Really?

Tank to get the first pick?

How do you think that's going to fly in this town with it's "win this year or you suck" mentality?

I'd like to get Barzal as much as you would, but no one in PA is going to sing the praises of the GM (now OR later) if that is the "plan" for the rest of this year.

-Wapitikev

the voice
12-09-2011, 07:52 AM
This team has shown they can entertain and win with the squad we have. Add Danyluk in there and we are better. There may be ups and downs here while players are away at various Team Canada functions. To build a winner, I see Bruno keeping the lineup we have with maybe a couple of tweaks at the trade deadline looking ahead to our overage situation this year and next. By staying pat with most of this team and aiming at the playoffs or at least a winning record, you develop the players who are here now and for next year and instill the foundation of a winning attitude. If overagers, McNeill (untouchable...he'll be a big piece of a good team next year), and 19 year old players are here after the trade deadline, you establish a mindset that you can't count on the easy way out....that you'll get traded away or you can ask for a trade to a "better" situation if things aren't going right. It moulds the mentality that this is what you've got and this is your team" and you better buckle down and contribute, enjoy being a Raider, and aim to win every night out. It shows the younger players what the norm is...to win and work with this team because it's their team. We don't need and want the top pick in exchange for competing on the ice this year. The season isn't only about winning playoffs or getting the highest pick.. We want a chance to win now, til the final buzzer of the final game...playoff or not. There will be draft picks that will help down the road no matter how high a pick. There are also players who develop after the draft and the scouts have done a very good job finding those free agents in the other teams' markets. Enjoy a great weekend of Raider hockey. It'll be a tough one, but the boys are on the right track.

Wapitikev
12-09-2011, 09:45 AM
This team has shown they can entertain and win with the squad we have. Add Danyluk in there and we are better. There may be ups and downs here while players are away at various Team Canada functions. To build a winner, I see Bruno keeping the lineup we have with maybe a couple of tweaks at the trade deadline looking ahead to our overage situation this year and next. By staying pat with most of this team and aiming at the playoffs or at least a winning record, you develop the players who are here now and for next year and instill the foundation of a winning attitude. If overagers, McNeill (untouchable...he'll be a big piece of a good team next year), and 19 year old players are here after the trade deadline, you establish a mindset that you can't count on the easy way out....that you'll get traded away or you can ask for a trade to a "better" situation if things aren't going right. It moulds the mentality that this is what you've got and this is your team" and you better buckle down and contribute, enjoy being a Raider, and aim to win every night out. It shows the younger players what the norm is...to win and work with this team because it's their team. We don't need and want the top pick in exchange for competing on the ice this year. The season isn't only about winning playoffs or getting the highest pick.. We want a chance to win now, til the final buzzer of the final game...playoff or not. There will be draft picks that will help down the road no matter how high a pick. There are also players who develop after the draft and the scouts have done a very good job finding those free agents in the other teams' markets. Enjoy a great weekend of Raider hockey. It'll be a tough one, but the boys are on the right track.

Totally agree. This is a down-year in the overall rebuild (for reasons stated above) but, as we saw last year with Saskatoon's regular season record and then their playoff collapse: winning doesn't teach you how to win...learning to overcoming adversity does.

Here's hoping that:

-The 18-and-under core remains intact in mid-January
-The future is not mortgaged for some short-term (and short-sighted) goal (no pun intended).
-The haters can't convince the board to knee-jerk into a decision based on the trees (this year's record) instead of the forest (an overall rebuild that is still on-track and won't be complete until 2014 when McNeil and Ruop are 20).

Good luck this weekend boys!

-Wapitikev

puckdad
12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know if #9 will play in Calgary tonight and then stay There for the Junior Selection Camp?
P.S. For anyone Jonesing for some hockey this weekend, the Bantam Showcase is on at all 3 City Rinks all weekend. PA boys won their 1st game 6-4 vs. Moose Jaw. Schedule at wwwbantamaashowcase.ca. Go and see some future WHL players on the ice. See if you can pick the future draft choices!

the voice
12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I believe Steve mentioned he was going to play friday, which shows leadership and commitment to the Raiders. Will be a big win and a good start to the weekend. Also doesn't hurt his chances to show what he can do before camp starts. Knock on wood...he stays healthy.

Dwight Schrute
12-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Two can nitpick at that game...

-Wapitikev

dude you said he hadnt been with the club for 4 years which is false. since the spring of 07 he has been involved.

and ps remember the last 2 years for the oilers ? the "fall for hall" and whatever it was last year.

getting a cant miss guy like that would provide hope. something i have had little to none of since campese's dictatorship came in

Wapitikev
12-10-2011, 05:27 PM
dude you said he hadnt been with the club for 4 years which is false. since the spring of 07 he has been involved.

Yes, I wholeheartedly apologize for leaving out "as GM" from the end of the sentence of my message that you so helpfully bolded and then nit-picked.

Thank you also for igonoring all the other evidence that might have allowed you to be less confused about the fact that I was referring to Campese being GM for less than 4 years:

Post 12 (my first post on this thread): in which I typed "The guy hasn't even been GM for 4 years yet"

Post 19 (the one you nit-picked): where I typed about "Brian Burke" (Toronto's GM, in case you didn't know) turning a franchise around in 3 years ...that sentence immediately follows the one you nitpicked.

Post 19 (the one you nit-picked): the two references to "GM" later in the same message AFTER the sentence you nit-picked. One of which explicitly called Campese the GM.

Post 23 (my nit-pick of your nit-pick): where, in response to your statement, which I did not contradict, that: "...he was hired in the spring of 2007 and 4 months into the season he was named gm" ...I typed about how GMs not Coaches have the power to influence acquisitions and scouting.

Post 23 (my nit-pick of your nit-pick): where, I say "GM Campese" twice.

and ps remember the last 2 years for the oilers ? the "fall for hall" and whatever it was last year. getting a cant miss guy like that would provide hope. something i have had little to none of since campese's dictatorship came in

Dude I'm sensing that you are a glass-is-half-empty kinda guy...
...and that you need to learn to use the shift key is on your keyboard.

Cheers,

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
12-10-2011, 06:02 PM
...and now, back to the topic of this thread...

Congratulations, Raiders, on taking Calgary to a shootout and getting a point, last night.

A welcome change from the three losses to them earlier in the year which had a goals for and against tally of 20 to 5 in favour of Calgary.

He's to a victory over the Oil-Kings tonight!

:bevvy:

-Wapitikev

AAAScout
12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
...and now, back to the topic of this thread...

Congratulations, Raiders, on taking Calgary to a shootout and getting a point, last night.

A welcome change from the three losses to them earlier in the year which had a goals for and against tally of 20 to 5 in favour of Calgary.

He's to a victory over the Oil-Kings tonight!

:bevvy:

-Wapitikev

I will certainly give you credit you for sure are a "glass is half full guy" after posting a 3 goal lead and then losing in a shootout not many would find to many positives in that, but like I said i will give you credit for being so positive about the Raiders.

P.S. not a snowballs chance in hell they beat Edmonton

XCHEKR
12-10-2011, 10:31 PM
I will certainly give you credit you for sure are a "glass is half full guy" after posting a 3 goal lead and then losing in a shootout not many would find to many positives in that, but like I said i will give you credit for being so positive about the Raiders.

P.S. not a snowballs chance in hell they beat Edmonton

Reading your posts > your glass is always empty! You couldn't be much more of a negative person .... do you even enjoy hockey?

lordstanley
12-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Reading your posts > your glass is always empty! You couldn't be much more of a negative person .... do you even enjoy hockey?

AAASCOUT is just a realist whats wrong with that ? if my team sucks i am gonna come out and say so but also look for bright spots if i can

XCHEKR
12-10-2011, 11:32 PM
AAASCOUT is just a realist whats wrong with that ? if my team sucks i am gonna come out and say so but also look for bright spots if i can

Nothing wrong with a realist as long as you are just not focusing on negativity ALONE!!! Fact is they are improving and have been managing to win some big games > that is real! Not everyone likes to turn their back on their home team as I have seen in Saskatoon when their blades are not winning their games or playing as they are expected. There has been some positives by the Raider team so probably a good thing for you is to go back to your own board and sign off with your comments on here. Positive comments are welcome I am sure when they have had a good game and yes...without winning it > so my suggestion to you would be to worry about your own team.....;) Have a good night!!!

the voice
12-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Just remind them of how great a deal they made for Schenn and how that worked out. For a team that choked, they act like they're all that. Great effort 2 nights in a row. The team is battling and can get wins any night. Look forward to a big win tonight. From my count, 8 16-17 year olds helped battle with a top team. The future has started. Enjoy.

lordstanley
12-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Just remind them of how great a deal they made for Schenn and how that worked out. For a team that choked, they act like they're all that. Great effort 2 nights in a row. The team is battling and can get wins any night. Look forward to a big win tonight. From my count, 8 16-17 year olds helped battle with a top team. The future has started. Enjoy.

I am not bashing your team at all, all i said was if someone wants to be negative about there team let them that's what this board is for positive and negative comments, if you wanna turn it into a bashing thread go ahead i could say atleast we get a chance to choke, P.A on the other hand has made the playoffs what once in the last 6 years ? as for us choking well then i guess the other 21 teams in the league choked too only 1 team can win it all as for the Brayden Schenn trade i am not afraid to say it was the wrong move cause it clearly was

i will end with this i actually wanted your team to get better only cause i wanna see our old school rivalry heat up like the old days i have said it before i feel for the fans in PA team managment has really let you down but now with guys like Morrisey and if you can finnish last and somehow land Barzal that would be huge

Does this help you at all ? i sure hope so

JMoney1988
12-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, here's a plus for you guys, you guys didn't get 5-6 goals scored on you in the second period like we did, or Brandon getting 4 goals.........

AAAScout
12-11-2011, 01:38 PM

actually absolutely love the game. played the game, now i work in the game, i watch more games in a week than most would all season. Love the game and everything about it, thus why watching what is happening to the Raiders bothers me so much..........is it because I am negative? you seem to think so, I think it is because I am being very realistic. There are allot of positives on the Raiders and some nice improvement on some of the younger players, but on a whole this is not good in a year we were supposed to be "going for it" to be near the bottom of the heap.

either way it doesn't matter, everyone is entitled to an opinion I do have mine, you have yours and neither of us have any control over it, I want to see the team here for a very long time and if something doesn't change and very quickly this team will no longer be viable in a small market.

Raider Believer
12-11-2011, 04:19 PM
actually absolutely love the game. played the game, now i work in the game, i watch more games in a week than most would all season. Love the game and everything about it, thus why watching what is happening to the Raiders bothers me so much..........is it because I am negative? you seem to think so, I think it is because I am being very realistic. There are allot of positives on the Raiders and some nice improvement on some of the younger players, but on a whole this is not good in a year we were supposed to be "going for it" to be near the bottom of the heap.

either way it doesn't matter, everyone is entitled to an opinion I do have mine, you have yours and neither of us have any control over it, I want to see the team here for a very long time and if something doesn't change and very quickly this team will no longer be viable in a small market.

AAAScout - the wagons have gathered my friend. Campese and his lackeys have invaded this board to preach the gospel according to Campese. Reality and real numbers mean nothing to them. They don't care about the fans, only their jobs. The fact that we have lost more than twice as many games as we've won means nothing. The fact that in 9 seasons of head coaching, Bruno has only had 2 winning seasons means nothing, and one of them was barely (check if you don't believe me). This is in fact the 5th season of a 5 year plan. The 2014 season would be 7 seasons, but who's counting LOL. The fact that other teams have been at the bottom since Campese took over the Raiders and rebuilt, retooled and are now at or near the top of the league (think Portland) is irrelevant to these Campese disciples, they must be drinking very special KoolAid. And I'm not expecting huge results for next year either, and I say this sadly. There are no real studs like McNeill coming up. I don't think we'll have McNeill back and our current potential 20 year olds for next year don't look anything like Maylan, Herrod or even Tochkin. And anyone thinking Danyluk is the answer once he returns ..... think about, this kid has some unreal skills, but the fact is, he has spent huge chunks of two seasons on the shelf ... injury prone.
P.S. I wonder what happened to Raiderfan15? He was a very good moderator on here for a very long time. Was he censored?

Sabes
12-11-2011, 04:24 PM
AAAScout - the wagons have gathered my friend. Campese and his lackeys have invaded this board to preach the gospel according to Campese. Reality and real numbers mean nothing to them. They don't care about the fans, only their jobs. The fact that we have lost more than twice as many games as we've won means nothing. The fact that in 9 seasons of head coaching, Bruno has only had 2 winning seasons means nothing, and one of them was barely (check if you don't believe me). This is in fact the 5th season of a 5 year plan. The 2014 season would be 7 seasons, but who's counting LOL. The fact that other teams have been at the bottom since Campese took over the Raiders and rebuilt, retooled and are now at or near the top of the league (think Portland) is irrelevant to these Campese disciples, they must be drinking very special KoolAid. And I'm not expecting huge results for next year either, and I say this sadly. There are no real studs like McNeill coming up. I don't think we'll have McNeill back and our current potential 20 year olds for next year don't look anything like Maylan, Herrod or even Tochkin. And anyone thinking Danyluk is the answer once he returns ..... think about, this kid has some unreal skills, but the fact is, he has spent huge chunks of two seasons on the shelf ... injury prone.
P.S. I wonder what happened to Raiderfan15? He was a very good moderator on here for a very long time. Was he censored?

He changed his name to sttop

Dwight Schrute
12-11-2011, 04:30 PM
i whole heartedly agree.
raiderfan is under a differant name and hardly posts anymore, still mod though. i dont like how the board is being invaded by all these new users that dont last long and sing praises of campese and leave out the truth.
either there is a ton of naive people or this board is being used somewhat as a tool by management. all i know is what i think .

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, here's a plus for you guys, you guys didn't get 5-6 goals scored on you in the second period like we did, or Brandon getting 4 goals.........

No, only 3 goals in the second...giving them a 4-1 lead at the start of the third.

Our defense, while getting 100% better with the vanscourt trade, can still be dismal in the 2nd frame.

On the flip side, congratulations to Luke Mahura on his 1st WHL goal!

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
12-11-2011, 04:49 PM
i whole heartedly agree.
raiderfan is under a differant name and hardly posts anymore, still mod though. i dont like how the board is being invaded by all these new users that dont last long and sing praises of campese and leave out the truth.
either there is a ton of naive people or this board is being used somewhat as a tool by management. all i know is what i think .

I couldn't agree more Dwight! Some of them are so transparent as to be laughable. I'd call them out but I'm sure I'd be edited. I don't blame raiderfan15 for changing his name, I wish I could do that myself, as it is tough to be a 'believer' during this hellish Campese period of sad Raider history.

Originally Posted by Raider Believer View Post
AAAScout - the wagons have gathered my friend. Campese and his lackeys have invaded this board to preach the gospel according to Campese. Reality and real numbers mean nothing to them. They don't care about the fans, only their jobs. The fact that we have lost more than twice as many games as we've won means nothing. The fact that in 9 seasons of head coaching, Bruno has only had 2 winning seasons means nothing, and one of them was barely (check if you don't believe me). This is in fact the 5th season of a 5 year plan. The 2014 season would be 7 seasons, but who's counting LOL. The fact that other teams have been at the bottom since Campese took over the Raiders and rebuilt, retooled and are now at or near the top of the league (think Portland) is irrelevant to these Campese disciples, they must be drinking very special KoolAid. And I'm not expecting huge results for next year either, and I say this sadly. There are no real studs like McNeill coming up. I don't think we'll have McNeill back and our current potential 20 year olds for next year don't look anything like Maylan, Herrod or even Tochkin. And anyone thinking Danyluk is the answer needs to rethink that .., this kid has some unreal skills, but the fact is, he has spent huge chunks of two seasons on the shelf ... injury prone.

puckdad
12-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Danyluk is back & has played the last 2 games.

Don't know what happened to raiderfan15 - All posts were deleted back in September. I remember asking the same thing back then.

Any chance we can all be big boys and play nice on this board? We all know from previous posts who has a dislike for Campese and crew, and who supports them. Your points have been made & remade many times.

Any thoughts on the recent road games? Watched (or tried to watch) both on WHL Network, and both had the most embarrassingly amateurish camera work I have ever seen. Calgary had some clown behind the glass in the corner of the rink with a camcorder, and Edmonton had some rookie cameraman who focused in so tight on the puck, you couldn't follow the game. Can't believe they charge $$ for that kind of BS. Both organizations should be embarrassed.

puckdad
12-11-2011, 05:29 PM
PS Mahura did not score last night, although he did get some SOG, it was Winther. It was scored wrong on the website. Winther: #15 Mahura: #12 Spotter got it wrong. Happens all the time, especially on the +/-, even though you think it wouldn't in this league.

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 07:50 PM
AAAScout - the wagons have gathered my friend. Campese and his lackeys have invaded this board...Reality and real numbers mean nothing to them. They don't care about the fans, only their jobs.

i whole heartedly agree.

...i dont like how the board is being invaded by all these new users that dont last long and sing praises of campese and leave out the truth.

Some of them are so transparent as to be laughable.

Listen to the hopelessly negative throw insults at others for being positive about the team.

As a true Raider believer I apologize for spoiling your pity party.

Keep the ad-hominem, personal insults coming (since there seems to be no rules against that, here) because I choose not to drink YOUR kool-aid.

In the meantime, I'll keep being positive.

And, for the record, I am not on the Raider Board of Directors, nor am I a Raider manager, nor a Raider employee. I am a private business-person, and a Raider season ticket holder.

-Wapitkev

Sabes
12-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Raiders up 2-0 with goals by Winther and Maylan. Funny neither of them got a chance in the shoot out against Calgary. They have been our hottest scorers and yet were on the bench.

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
PS Mahura did not score last night, although he did get some SOG, it was Winther. It was scored wrong on the website. Winther: #15 Mahura: #12 Spotter got it wrong. Happens all the time, especially on the +/-, even though you think it wouldn't in this league.

That'll teach me for believing the WHL web-site; sorry Puckdad.

I see that the boys won the first period...hope the second does not go as usual.

-Wapitikev

lordstanley
12-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Raiders up 2-0 with goals by Winther and Maylan. Funny neither of them got a chance in the shoot out against Calgary. They have been our hottest scorers and yet were on the bench.

Red Deer is really having problems this isn't the same red deer that started out 14-4-3 they actually are in your tier now believe it or not they have so many guys hurt and away at world junior camps

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Red Deer is really having problems this isn't the same red deer that started out 14-4-3 they actually are in your tier now believe it or not they have so many guys hurt and away at world junior camps

True...but the Raiders are missing their best player as well, and they've also had their own injury woes...that's how things go for every team.;)

lordstanley
12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
True...but the Raiders are missing their best player as well, and they've also had their own injury woes...that's how things go for every team.;)

Ok lets compare

Red Deer Out

Dumba
Petrovic
Borejko
Kambeitz
Siwak
Bartosak

And they are starting a rookie goalie tyler oswald his firt ever game

The lineups and who is out don't even compare you guys are only missing McNeil man you are starting to get on people's nerves a bit

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Ok lets compare

Red Deer Out

Dumba
Petrovic
Borejko
Kambeitz
Siwak
Bartosak

And they are starting a rookie goalie tyler oswald his firt ever game

The lineups and who is out don't even compare you guys are only missing McNeil man you are starting to get on people's nerves a bit

Yeesh...don't be so touchy. I never said that they HAVE injury woes...they HAD injury woes (as in past games).

I am not disagreeing with you.

But, injuries happen to every team...that IS the way things go.

You have successfully made me feel sorry for Red Deer, though.

I am sure that one of the new members who "invaded" the board (all of whom are apparently senior Raiders staff) can petition the league to give back any points we might get. :rolleyes:

-Wapitikev

lordstanley
12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Ahh Rose Colored Glasses :eek:

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Ahh Rose Colored Glasses :eek:

Nope...Green, White and Gold coloured. :D

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Looks like we made it through the 2nd period without a goal against.

Colour me shocked.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
12-11-2011, 09:49 PM
3 power play goals in 3rd sealed the victory. 5-0 Raiders vs a very young RD blue line and rookie goaltender. Thought the Raiders might dominate a little more 5-on-5 vs these d-men, but special teams were pretty good. 1 short-handed goal (Winther) and 3 PPG (Maylan, Winther, Herrod).

1st period: Played pretty even. PA lucky to be up 2-0 on a short-handed goal by Winther and a goal off the face-off by Maylan
2nd Period: Almost ground to a halt as neither team had much energy or flow. RD outplayed & out-chanced PA. Holowenko very good
3rd Period: Raiders 3 PPG and held on to preserve the shut-out.
The overall game was much closer than the 5-0 score indicated, with RD out-shooting PA 39-34.

Top guys were our top guys tonight.
Top forwards:
Winther had a strong game in front of lots of friends & family (Trochu is about 1 hour away from RD). Maylan was real strong. Scored off the face-off in the 1st, off a rebound on the PP in the 3rd, and an assist on Herrod's PPG. Herrod scored a nice PPG and was a demon on the back-check all night.

Top Defense:
Top d-pair were Ruopp & Morrissey. Nice blend of tough defense(2) and offensive flair(10). Lange was paired with Yawarski and drew an assist on Herrod's goal. Berry-Lamontagna made a rare start & was paired with Corbin.
The defense looks so much more relaxed & comfortable with the puck since the coaching change. The Raiders leave their zone in possession of the puck more often than not. Such a pleasure to watch compared to earlier on in the season (Glass & out - Battle again for it in the neutral zone).

Top Raider tonight was #33, Cole Holowenko. 39 shots, 0 Goals, 1st Star. Stopped a point-blank shot early in the 3rd that would have made a real difference in the game, when the Raiders lead was only 3-0. He was very good, but also helped by a bit of luck as the Rebels had trouble controlling the bouncing puck around the PA net. Nice to see some bounces go our way for a change. Nice road win, they needed that.

Overall, a good split (3 out of possible 6 points) road series, but unfortunately not good enough to gain any ground in the standings.

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
2 points tonight and 3-points from the road-trip. Hmmm.

And Regina beat Kamloops 8-4.

Welcome to PA on Tuesday, Kamloops.

-Wapitikev

XCHEKR
12-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I couldn't agree more Dwight! Some of them are so transparent as to be laughable. I'd call them out but I'm sure I'd be edited. I don't blame raiderfan15 for changing his name, I wish I could do that myself, as it is tough to be a 'believer' during this hellish Campese period of sad Raider history.

Originally Posted by Raider Believer View Post
AAAScout - the wagons have gathered my friend. Campese and his lackeys have invaded this board to preach the gospel according to Campese. Reality and real numbers mean nothing to them. They don't care about the fans, only their jobs. The fact that we have lost more than twice as many games as we've won means nothing. The fact that in 9 seasons of head coaching, Bruno has only had 2 winning seasons means nothing, and one of them was barely (check if you don't believe me). This is in fact the 5th season of a 5 year plan. The 2014 season would be 7 seasons, but who's counting LOL. The fact that other teams have been at the bottom since Campese took over the Raiders and rebuilt, retooled and are now at or near the top of the league (think Portland) is irrelevant to these Campese disciples, they must be drinking very special KoolAid. And I'm not expecting huge results for next year either, and I say this sadly. There are no real studs like McNeill coming up. I don't think we'll have McNeill back and our current potential 20 year olds for next year don't look anything like Maylan, Herrod or even Tochkin. And anyone thinking Danyluk is the answer needs to rethink that .., this kid has some unreal skills, but the fact is, he has spent huge chunks of two seasons on the shelf ... injury prone.

You notice the score tonight??? Do you have a comment or just your usual bashing of Campese? Yes, that what I thought > let me guess!!! No comment made about or to the team just blah blah blah same old crap!!! You seem to think anyone that has anything at all positive to say has to be WHAT? On the board or tied in with Campese somehow??? You people that have nothing better to do than carry on like this should realize there are actually people out there that are really cheering for this team and hoping they succeed .... we don't really care about all your issues with Campese or whoever .... GIVE IT A REST!!!!!:mad:

puckdad
12-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Kamloops should ripe for the picking if the PA boys get back home and get some good rest tomorrow. Its a grueling bus ride back after 3 hard-fought road games. It would be a great morale-booster for them to go into the Christmas break with 2 more wins at home (Kamloops Tues./Kelowna Friday)

Raider Believer
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Listen to the hopelessly negative throw insults at others for being positive about the team.

As a true Raider believer I apologize for spoiling your pity party.

Keep the ad-hominem, personal insults coming (since there seems to be no rules against that, here) because I choose not to drink YOUR kool-aid.

In the meantime, I'll keep being positive.

And, for the record, I am not on the Raider Board of Directors, nor am I a Raider manager, nor a Raider employee. I am a private business-person, and a Raider season ticket holder.

-Wapitkev

Hey Wapitkev, I hope your optimism is justified. The boys played well tonight. Winther and Morrissey had big games. They needed to step up.
Unfortunately, no amount of optimism can fly in the face of an absolutely terrible record. Campese has only had 2 winning seasons out of 9 as a head coach between the Raiders, Penticton and Trail. That's not even a .250 winning record .... ooops, that's just about what this team has now. Couldn't be coincidence eh?
It is good to see the team take 3 of a possible 6 points though, however .500 hockey at home or away won't be near enough to postpone the eventual rebuild.

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 10:09 PM
3 power play goals in 3rd sealed the victory. 5-0 Raiders vs a very young RD blue line and rookie goaltender. ...

...Overall, a good split (3 out of possible 6 points) road series, but unfortunately not good enough to gain any ground in the standings.

You mentioned that Danyluk was back on Friday...WHL game summaries (we've already discussed how accurate those are) have him at 0pts and -1 in three games.

I was too busy to catch Friday or Saturday's game and got only bits and pieces of tonight's.

Do you know, offhand, who Danyluk's linemates were on Sunday vs Red Deer?

-Wapitikev

mjw22
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
This is a pretty lively site lots of passion which is better than apathy. Numbers don't lie if 07-08 was Campese 1st year with the organization the teams that were worse than you were.

Port 25 pts
RD 43 pts
PG 44 pts
EDM 55 pts

the only team to not show some type of improvement is PG.

XCHEKR
12-11-2011, 10:22 PM
This is a pretty lively site lots of passion which is better than apathy. Numbers don't lie if 07-08 was Campese 1st year with the organization the teams that were worse than you were.

Port 25 pts
RD 43 pts
PG 44 pts
EDM 55 pts

Were you watching your team play on the 4th? Crawl back in your hole chum!:rolleyes:

lordstanley
12-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Were you watching your team play on the 4th? Crawl back in your hole chum!:rolleyes:

Every dog has it's day whats your point XCHEKR

pr1993
12-11-2011, 10:24 PM
You mentioned that Danyluk was back on Friday...WHL game summaries (we've already discussed how accurate those are) have him at 0pts and -1 in three games.

I was too busy to catch Friday or Saturday's game and got only bits and pieces of tonight's.

Do you know, offhand, who Danyluk's linemates were on Sunday vs Red Deer?

-Wapitikev

linemates were hlinka and tochkin. Looked good in red deer, had some nice passes and was good on the dot.

puckdad
12-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Danyluk took McNeill's spot, centering Tochkin & Hlinka. Played center on PP#2. Also played regularly on the PK. Looks like he is still getting his game legs back, but getting some chances and creating some offense.

On an entirely different player, what has happened to #17, and why was he in the shoot-out in Calgary? His caliber of play has fallen off the charts lately, and he was invisible again tonight.

mjw22
12-11-2011, 10:32 PM

Xchekr are you related to "Some Arrogant Jerk " that sounds like one of his replies. lol I was just putting the Campese facts out there for debate . Want some more facts
Warriors 1st in div 2nd in conf 21 pts up on 12th place PA when you have no ammo don't start fights :groovy:

Raider Believer
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM

Port 25 pts
RD 43 pts
PG 44 pts
EDM 55 pts

and teams like Calgary have hit lofty heights and then bottomed out only to rebuild during this almost 5 years in the desert with Campese. Very sad. :(

mjw22
12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
and teams like Calgary have hit lofty heights and then bottomed out only to rebuild during this almost 5 years in the desert with Campese. Very sad. :(

Indeed very sad :(

Wapitikev
12-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Hey Wapitkev, I hope your optimism is justified. The boys played well tonight. Winther and Morrissey had big games. They needed to step up.
Unfortunately, no amount of optimism can fly in the face of an absolutely terrible record. Campese has only had 2 winning seasons out of 9 as a head coach between the Raiders, Penticton and Trail. That's not even a .250 winning record .... ooops, that's just about what this team has now. Couldn't be coincidence eh? ...

Hey, Raider Believer:

Enjoyed your post.

Although I’m not sure why we’re talking about Campese as a coach, since he is no longer coaching, lets look at some numbers:

When trying to compare future performance, the previous three years performances, averaged, are the most accurate predictor [since people tend to do better as time goes on, although I am sure you will disagree :) ]

Campese’s last three years as coach were:
2009: .465
2010: .479
2011: .465
So the statistical average: .470 would be expected

When Campese fired himself as coach this year, his record was: .294 …so you were closer at .250 than what the expectation was.

The overall record for the Raiders, at this time is 23 points in 35 games: .329

The record since the coaching change is: .361

...It is good to see the team take 3 of a possible 6 points though, however .500 hockey at home or away won't be near enough to postpone the eventual rebuild.

Their record in December is: .750 well above the .500 hockey you think will necessitate a rebuild.

There are 8 games between now and Jan 7th.

So, assuming the boys do no worse or no better in that time, the record since the coaching change will be: .442 ...and for the season, at that point will be: .407 …only .063 away from the .470 that was expected based on the average. Not bad for a team that, last year, played better after the trade deadline than before.

Let's look a little further ahead, shall we?

There are 37 games left in the Raiders season, as of Monday.

The team needs 45 points to reach the 68 points necessary to be .472 for the season (which, BTW would likely mean a playoff birth).

That means that the team has to play .608 hockey from now to the end of the season to reach expectations.

I think they can do it with the current roster.

You probably don’t

I guess we'll see what happens between now and the trade deadline.

Cheers,

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
12-12-2011, 12:27 AM
FYI: the team record was .500 (or slightly better) after December 1st 2010 and and after the trade deadline in 2011 (I don't know, as yet, when the team had its 5 overtime losses last season).

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
12-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Hey, Raider Believer:

Enjoyed your post.

Although I’m not sure why we’re talking about Campese as a coach, since he is no longer coaching, lets look at some numbers:

When trying to compare future performance, the previous three years performances, averaged, are the most accurate predictor [since people tend to do better as time goes on, although I am sure you will disagree :) ]

Campese’s last three years as coach were:
2009: .465
2010: .479
2011: .465
So the statistical average: .470 would be expected

When Campese fired himself as coach this year, his record was: .294 …so you were closer at .250 than what the expectation was.

The overall record for the Raiders, at this time is 23 points in 35 games: .329

The record since the coaching change is: .361

Their record in December is: .750 well above the .500 hockey you think will necessitate a rebuild.

There are 8 games between now and Jan 7th.

So, assuming the boys do no worse or no better in that time, the record since the coaching change will be: .442 ...and for the season, at that point will be: .407 …only .063 away from the .470 that was expected based on the average. Not bad for a team that, in the last three years, has played better after the trade deadline than before.

Let's look a little further ahead, shall we?

There are 37 games left in the Raiders season, as of Monday.

The team needs 45 points to reach the 68 points necessary to be .472 for the season (which, BTW would likely mean a playoff birth).

That means that the team has to play .608 hockey from now to the end of the season to reach expectations.

I think they can do it with the current roster.

You probably don’t

I guess we'll see what happens between now and the trade deadline.

Cheers,

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev,
I had no idea you were so comedic. I really do enjoy numbers and stats, but you've really outdone yourself! Do you really think 68 points will get us into the playoffs? Last year maybe ... previous years it was somewhere between 75ish and 83ish points. And really ... taking a very few select games in December and claiming that the win percentage during those few games is an accurate predictor of things to come .... really? really? I hope for the sake of the players that you are right! But realistically, probably not. And yes, last year we played better in the last half of the season .... did you check the pattern for previous years?

The real numbers are as follows, .... in order to be a .500 hockey club for the season, the boys would have to win at a .700 clip or better for the remainder of the season and there is nothing to suggest they are capable of doing that, but I would be happy to be wrong ;) And yes, I know Campese isn't the head coach any more, I'm just not convinced that Steve Young has the go ahead to do what's necessary..... and the Campese/Derkatch combo doesn't inspire me with confidence for the next 5 year plan.
IMO the real fault lies with the BOD, they should never have hired Campese, a person with a very limited history of success in coaching. I am hoping that when they extended Young & Campese's contracts for ONLY one year this past summer, that they were communicating the same doubts many of us have expressed on this forum. I know for sure that I will be writing each and every board member to express my thoughts and concerns. Perhaps a petition from ticket holders would be an appropriate response.

Wapitikev
12-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Wapitikev,
I had no idea you were so comedic. I really do enjoy numbers and stats, but you've really outdone yourself! Do you really think 68 points will get us into the playoffs? Last year maybe ... previous years it was somewhere between 75ish and 83ish points. And really ... taking a very few select games in December and claiming that the win percentage during those few games is an accurate predictor of things to come .... really? really? I hope for the sake of the players that you are right! But realistically, probably not. And yes, last year we played better in the last half of the season .... did you check the pattern for previous years?

The real numbers are as follows, .... in order to be a .500 hockey club for the season, the boys would have to win at a .700 clip or better for the remainder of the season and there is nothing to suggest they are capable of doing that, but I would be happy to be wrong ;) And yes, I know Campese isn't the head coach any more, I'm just not convinced that Steve Young has the go ahead to do what's necessary..... and the Campese/Derkatch combo doesn't inspire me with confidence for the next 5 year plan.
IMO the real fault lies with the BOD, they should never have hired Campese, a person with a very limited history of success in coaching. I am hoping that when they extended Young & Campese's contracts for ONLY one year this past summer, that they were communicating the same doubts many of us have expressed on this forum. I know for sure that I will be writing each and every board member to express my thoughts and concerns. Perhaps a petition from ticket holders would be an appropriate response.

The Board Members are certainly the ones you need to talk to if you want things to change.

Petition away!

And as far as points go, 68pts would have been enough in 2009 to avoid the tie-breaker. 2 of the last three years is strong enough evidence for me that playoffs would be achievable with 68 points.

So beating teams from our own Conference that would make the playoffs if they started today is NOT a good indicator of things to come in the near future? Really? Really?

9 points out of a possible 12 against teams we will have to beat to get into the playoffs is certainly a horrible indicator of things to come. The sky is falling! :D

My guess is we'll do better than .250 between now and the trade deadline.

As stated, I believe that Raiders coached by Steve Young and Dave Manson can and will be able to achieve a .470 record for the season with the current squad and that 68 points will allow us to make the playoffs.

Looks like we disagree...surprise!:deadhorse:

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
12-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Danyluk took McNeill's spot, centering Tochkin & Hlinka. Played center on PP#2. Also played regularly on the PK. Looks like he is still getting his game legs back, but getting some chances and creating some offense.

On an entirely different player, what has happened to #17, and why was he in the shoot-out in Calgary? His caliber of play has fallen off the charts lately, and he was invisible again tonight.

Next to the D-man we recently traded to Moose Jaw, #17 has been one of my biggest disappointments, so far, this season. I certainly hoped for more based on his Jan-Mar 2011 performance.

Let's hope we can blame it on his recent time-off with whatever was ailing him. He needs to find some magic with someone and get his confidence back.

Go #17!

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
12-12-2011, 02:09 AM
The Board Members are certainly the ones you need to talk to if you want things to change.

Petition away!

And as far as points go, 68pts would have been enough in 2009 to avoid the tie-breaker. 2 of the last three years is strong enough evidence for me that playoffs would be achievable with 68 points.

So beating teams from our own Conference that would make the playoffs if they started today is NOT a good indicator of things to come in the near future? Really? Really?

9 points out of a possible 12 against teams we will have to beat to get into the playoffs is certainly a horrible indicator of things to come. The sky is falling! :D

My guess is we'll do better than .250 between now and the trade deadline.

As stated, I believe that Raiders coached by Steve Young and Dave Manson can and will be able to achieve a .470 record for the season with the current squad and that 68 points will allow us to make the playoffs.

Looks like we disagree...surprise!:deadhorse:

-Wapitikev

Yup ... and in 08 the playoff teams needed almost 90 points ... so 2 out of 4 years ... and so on and so on ... anyone can play with numbers. Bottom line results are what counts. We will revisit this issue in the spring and if the stars all align .... then perhaps we'll have a post season.
As for #17 ... maybe a change of scenery is needed ... we should be able to get a 4th or 5th rounder that will help us in 2015 :p
But it does beg the questiion ... what's impeded his development ??

Wapitikev
12-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Yup ... and in 08 the playoff teams needed almost 90 points ... so 2 out of 4 years ... and so on and so on ... anyone can play with numbers. Bottom line results are what counts. We will revisit this issue in the spring and if the stars all align .... then perhaps we'll have a post season.
As for #17 ... maybe a change of scenery is needed ... we should be able to get a 4th or 5th rounder that will help us in 2015 :p
But it does beg the questiion ... what's impeded his development ??

Good question...after all, everyone else his age is performing as good or better than last year. What do you think it could be RB?

I know! It must be the coach, or the GM! :)

Couldn't possibly be the player having some bad luck, could it?!

Sorry, RB but I'm still not drinking your kool-aid.

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
12-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Good question...after all, everyone else his age is performing as good or better than last year. What do you think it could be RB?

I know! It must be the coach, or the GM! :)

Couldn't possibly be the player having some bad luck, could it?!

Sorry, RB but I'm still not drinking your kool-aid.

-Wapitikev

Aww .. why not? its 'special' kool aid :)
Wapitikev, we'll both see the accuracies or inaccuracies of our prognostications in just a very few months.

Wapitikev
12-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Aww .. why not? its 'special' kool aid :)
Wapitikev, we'll both see the accuracies or inaccuracies of our prognostications in just a very few months.

Amen.

-Wapitikev