PDA

View Full Version : Sabres sign F Sundher to rookie 3-year deal

CdnSailor
12-15-2011, 03:45 PM
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - The Buffalo Sabres have signed forward Kevin Sundher to a rookie, three-year, entry-level contract.

Listed at 5-foot-11 and 184 pounds, Sundher was selected by Buffalo in the third round - 75th overall - in the 2010 draft. He currently has 21 goals and 31 assists in 32 games with Victoria, British Columbia, of the Western Hockey League.

His 52 points place him sixth in the league. Sundher had a career best 76 points (24 goals, 52 assists) last year.

pontcanna
12-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Sabres ink Sundher to three-year deal

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM DECEMBER 15, 2011 10:06 PM

Santa smiled Thursday on Kevin Sundher.

As his Victoria Royals headed to Lethbridge tonight and Medicine Hat on Saturday for their final two Western Hockey League games before the seasonal break, Sundher received an early Christmas present.

The 19-year-old forward has signed a three-year entry-level NHL contract with the Buffalo Sabres, the team that selected him 75th overall in the third round of the 2010 draft. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

It tops off a whiplash year in which Sundher saw his WHL club move from Chilliwack last spring, where he had played three seasons for the Bruins, to Victoria as the Royals. He lit it up upon arrival on the Island, and is sixth in WHL scoring with 21 goals and 53 points in 33 games, but was snubbed and disappointed not to receive an invite to the Canadian selection camp for the upcoming 2012 world junior championship.

“This has been a goal of mine to get this [NHL contract],” said Sundher, the all-time leading scorer in Bruins-Royals franchise history.

“I’ve put my foot in the door but have to prove myself. This inspires me to work that much harder. The contract shows that Buffalo has been happy with my progress — obviously with my offence and speed but also the little things that have made me a two-way player.”

Buffalo GM Darcy Regier expressed satisfaction over Sundher’s breakout season in Victoria.

“Kevin is a very good skater, whose offensive abilities make him a natural fit for our organization,” Regier said in a Sabres statement.

“With his progression over the last few seasons, his fast start this year is a very positive sign for his development.”

Having been to two Sabres training camps, Sundher realizes just how big the next step is to take even up to Rochester of the American Hockey League.

“I really had my eyes opened up to the pro style,” said the native of Surrey.

“The pro players are so much bigger, stronger and faster and your decisions on the ice have to be made that much quicker.”

But it’s junior matters that will most concern Sundher up to the spring.

“I want to win as many games as possible with the Royals,” he said.

And that task is immediate as the club has has gone 2-9-2 over its last 13 games in spiraling to seventh place in the 10-team Western Conference.

“We haven’t been winning games and we need points,” said Sundher.

“We need to play with a sense of desperation these last two games before the break. We’ll have plenty of time to rest after that with six-seven days off.”

The Royals continue with the third game of their six consecutive road contests tonight in Lethbridge against the Hurricanes (12-22-1), who are captained by club leading-scorer Cam Braes of Shawnigan Lake.

“It’s not going to be a cakewalk in Lethbridge,” warned Sundher, pointing to the ’Canes’ 7-3 record over the last 10 games.

Although undrafted and far less heralded, Island-product Braes has been to the Hurricanes over the past few years what Sundher has been to the Bruins-Royals franchise and is in his fifth full season with Lethbridge as a 20-year-old.

“I played a year up in spring hockey with Cam and he is a competitive player and the obvious leader of that Hurricanes team and the guy who stirs their drink,” said Sundher, of his fellow British Columbian Braes.

The game will be the first back for Royals forward Robin Soudek after serving a four-game suspension.

CdnSailor
12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
This is a link as to what Kevin will make if he goes to the big league.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2145