PDA

View Full Version : Midway Point - Now What?

d-man
12-18-2011, 11:50 AM
With the first half of the season complete what do the Broncos and Mark Lamb need to do in the second half? At the start of the season Lamb said the goal was to make the playoffs. The Broncos sit in 10th place in the Eastern conference 5 points out of a playoff spot. They have been playing decent hockey, they never give up on a game and the passion and effort is there this season, unlike last year. Is that enough to push them into the playoffs?

I like the effort and character of this team and from an entertainment side I don't want to see too many changes made. However from a business side this franchise needs to make the playoffs. Losing $200K last year and with dwindling attendance so far and a decline in season ticket sales they could easily go over that $200K this year. So the playoffs are not only a goal but a necessity IMO.

The trade deadline is a little over three weeks away and Lamb has some decisions to make.

20 year olds Vause, Hoban and Groenheyde - is it worth trading these guys off? Vause has 44 points in 36 games, he lives and breathes Broncos hockey. He would be a top addition to any team but his leadership is invaluable here. Hoban wouldn't provide much in return. He's soft, effort is streaky and is not going to put a team over the hump, including the Broncos. With Groenheyde, I can't believe there's still rumours about Soberg. However if Soberg is not playing in Norway I guess Lamb stuck to his guns and held onto his rights. Time will tell if we ever see him in Swift.

19 year olds - Magnus, Moser, Blanke, Reum, Evans and Fleming. Who makes this next year and is there any value on the trade market for these guys now? If I had to pick today I'd say Blanke, Reum & Moser for next season in order to make room on the back end for Brycen Martin.

Other players would definitely net some return but guys like Scarlett, Lowry, Black, Gordon, Heatherington, Nedomlel and even Muth are the building blocks of this team and I think would be untouchable.

What's it going to take to make the playoffs or is there too much parity amongst the teams to make any big moves? Or can the franchise afford to play the odds and possibly miss the playoffs? Thoughts?

Toswammi
12-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I have fallen off the Hoban bandwagon and would love to deal him but I doubt the market allows it.
I would like to see SC move a 19yr old forward and a 18yr old D-man, but not much else. I have wondered outloud if a guy like Tot (Leth) is available.

Going forward the most important thing will be to play the first two periods like it is he third. Can't be spotting other teams 2-3 goal leads.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
12-23-2011, 01:40 AM
At the beginning of the season I didn't believe the Broncos had a hope in hell of making the playoffs. The roster is not overly laden with talent but the team's work ethic is incredible this year which makes them very entertaining to watch. As it stands they could possibly make the playoffs with the team they have, but I really don't think it will happen. Last year with the Eakin trade we finally got out of the rut of trading our future to TRY and do something in the playoffs. I think this year we should stay the course and continue to build with the draft. We have some great young talent in the current lineup as well some very promising prospects.We are not strong in our 19 & 20 group but if Lamb can get anything for them then I think it's time to deal. Vause is having a hell of a year and if any contending GM's are paying attention then Vause would be a great addition. As much as we need the revenue from any kind of a run in the playoffs I truly believe we MUST look at the big picture, which is long term. The reason we are in trouble financially is because for the past decade we have traded the future to TRY and make money in the playoffs. It hasn't worked and its time to start thinking like a winner.

d-man
12-27-2011, 09:08 AM
With Lowry undergoing surgery to his fractured wrist and likely being out 1-2 months is a huge blow to the Broncos. There is some good young talent and some one (other than Hoban) could get a chance to play on the top line. Its Lowry's special teams play that concerns me. Those are always tough minutes to fill on any roster.

Toswammi
12-27-2011, 09:52 AM
With Lowry undergoing surgery to his fractured wrist and likely being out 1-2 months is a huge blow to the Broncos. There is some good young talent and some one (other than Hoban) could get a chance to play on the top line. Its Lowry's special teams play that concerns me. Those are always tough minutes to fill on any roster.

The Lowry injury will basically decide the teams fortune for us. They need him in to be a .500 team at worst.

I would love to see Dale move up the lineup. I like his compete, and he skates better then advertised.

This also screams to me that there will be a call up or trade to fill out the forward roster with twelve? (is Howorko healthy?) bodies.

Toswammi
12-27-2011, 10:29 AM
I could quote myself, but that ain't cool

Mackay is back with the club.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Heard Wittman is up with the team too for tonights game.

The Wheatiemaniac
12-27-2011, 09:18 PM
So if the Broncos throw up the white flag for the year, logically what do you think would be asking price for Taylor Vause? Wouldn't mind seeing him between Ferland and Stone.