PDA

View Full Version : Team Canada World Juniors 2012

CdnSailor
12-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Thought I would start a post on the series coming up on Monday.
Watched the game this evening to see a team that has really connected as a team.
If they can keep it up we may have a chance to win the cup this year.
Looking forward to a great series.

Team Canada Roster
Goaltenders
Player Birthdate Hometown 2011-12 Team Draft Status
*Mark Visentin 08/07/92 Waterdown, ON Niagara (OHL) PHX 2010
Scott Wedgewood 08/14/92 Brampton, On Plymouth (OHL) NJ 2010

Defence
Nathan Beaulieu 12/05/92 Strathroy, ON Saint John (QMJHL) MTL 2011
Brandon Gormley 02/18/92 Murray River, PEI Moncton (QMJHL) PHX 2010
Dougie Hamilton 06/17/93 Toronto, ON Niagara (OHL) BOS 2011
Scott Harrington 03/10/93 Kingston, ON London (OHL) PIT 2011
Ryan Murray 09/27/93 White City, SK Everett (WHL) 2012
Jamie Oleksiak 12/21/92 Toronto, ON Saginaw (OHL) DAL 2011
Mark Pysyk 01/11/92 Sherwood Park, AB Edmonton (WHL) BUF 2010

Forwards
Michael Bournival 05/31/92 Shawinigan, QC Shawinigan (QMJHL) COL 2010^
*Brett Connolly 05/02/92 Prince George, BC Tampa Bay (NHL) TB 2010
Brendan Gallagher 06/05/92 Tsawwassen, BC Vancouver (WHL) MTL 2010
Freddie Hamilton 01/01/92 Toronto, ON Niagara (OHL) SJ 2010
*Quinton Howden 01/21/92 Oak Bank, MB Moose Jaw (WHL) FLA 2010
Jonathan Huberdeau 06/04/93 Prevost, QC Saint John (QMJHL) FLA 2011
Boone Jenner 06/15/93 Dorchester, ON Oshawa (OHL) CBJ 2011
Tanner Pearson 08/10/92 Kitchener, ON Barrie (OHL) 2012
Mark Scheifele 03/15/93 Kitchener, ON Barrie (OHL) WPG 2011
*Jaden Schwartz 06/25/92 Emerald Park, SK Colorado College (WCHA) STL 2010
Devante Smith-Pelly 06/14/92 Scarborough, ON Anaheim (NHL) ANA 2010
Mark Stone 05/13/92 Winnipeg, MB Brandon (WHL) OTT 2010
Ryan Strome 07/11/93 Mississauga, ON Niagara (OHL) NYI 2011

* Returning player

^ Now a member of the Montreal Canadiens

SCHEDULE

Monday, December 26, 2011
Teams Notes
Canada vs Finland 3:30 PM
Sweden vs Latvia 5:30 PM
USA vs Denmark 8:00 PM
Russia vs Switzerland 10:00 PM

Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Teams Notes
Denmark vs Czech Republic 8:00 PM
Latvia vs Slovakia 10:00 PM

Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Teams Notes
Finland vs USA 3:30 PM
Switzerland vs Sweden 5:30 PM
Czech Republic vs Canada 8:00 PM
Slovakia vs Russia 10:00 PM

Thursday, December 29, 2011
Teams Notes
Canada vs Denmark 8:00 PM
Russia vs Latvia 10:00 PM

Friday, December 30, 2011
Teams Notes
Czech Republic vs USA 3:30 PM
Slovakia vs Sweden 5:30 PM
Denmark vs Finland 8:00 PM
Latvia vs Switzerland 10:00 PM

Saturday, December 31, 2011
Teams Notes
Finland vs Czech Republic 4:00 PM
Switzerland vs Slovakia 6:00 PM
USA vs Canada 8:00 PM
Sweden vs Russia 10:00 PM

Monday, January 2, 2012
Teams Notes
TBD vs TBD 1:00 PM
TBD vs TBD 5:00 PM
TBD vs TBD 9:00 PM

Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Teams Notes

Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Teams Notes

Thursday, January 5, 2012
Teams Notes
TBD vs TBD 3:30 PM
TBD vs TBD 8:00 PM

** All times are displayed in Eastern Time

CdnSailor
12-22-2011, 11:42 PM
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip590714#clip590714

Highlights of todays exibition game against Siwtzerland

7 - 1 Canada

west coast
12-23-2011, 06:29 PM
big test tonight as Canada plays Swedes - final exhibition game for Canada

west coast
12-23-2011, 11:00 PM
a few players that i thought played well tonight- Smith -Pelly, Gormley and Stone a few players that were brutal Dougie Halmilton,Visentine and schiefle- team Canada sure looks pretty soft this year- we have been spoiled by great teams in the past- team sweden had more size and more speed than the Canadians- i am not expecting gold like every other year - team Canada sure could use some bigger, faster , tougher skilled forwards - is this really the best team that canada could have named???

patsdude114
12-24-2011, 02:01 AM
u mean someone bigger & who can skate with skill like Bulmer???

still dont know how he didnt make it

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-24-2011, 02:32 AM
Add Rattie to your point. They both should be on this team.

unfortunately, hockey canada had politics become too much of a deciding factor... two 'brothers' on the same team, schwartz as captain, coach picking his golden boy, and most notably the lack of size and grit - Team Canada's identity.

We will see how they do when the real game starts, but I dont think this team has what it takes to win the gold.

Toswammi
12-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Not a fan of Gallagher, seems to play selfish.

Big downside last night was the soft play from the red line in. The D needs to make better decisions, and they need to get he big save.

lordstanley
12-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Add Rattie to your point. They both should be on this team.

unfortunately, hockey canada had politics become too much of a deciding factor... two 'brothers' on the same team, schwartz as captain, coach picking his golden boy, and most notably the lack of size and grit - Team Canada's identity.

We will see how they do when the real game starts, but I dont think this team has what it takes to win the gold.

What debbie downer you are have a little faith with this young men

Western Elite
12-24-2011, 02:25 PM
That is because SAJ is getting coal from xmas from his parents. :D

CdnSailor
12-25-2011, 12:00 AM
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip590714#clip591227

Highlights of Sweden's 5 - 3 win over Canada

CdnSailor
12-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Thought our goalie did not do all that well. Weak on his blocker side. Will be watching the series to see how many go in from there.

patsdude114
12-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Theres too many question marks with this team & the goaltending is the weakest its been in years . It blows my mind how Pickard who faces an avg of 35+ shots a nite in Seattle & keeps them in 90% of there games doesnt have an inside track at the bare min being the backup. The goalies who we have ya play on winning teams but have a very good team infront of them so who truely knows how good they really are.

Outside of this team not going to be playing in the gold medal game i think the biggest let down will be the upcoming loss to Team USA for the New Years Eve game.... i hope im going to be wrong but i truely dont see it.

CdnSailor
12-25-2011, 04:59 PM
EDMONTON - The usually unflappable Scott Wedgewood couldn't help but revel in the moment. The Plymouth Whalers goaltender took note of all the red-and-white jerseys and sweatshirts that blanketed the seats at Rexall Place in Team Canada's final tune-up.

He also heard an earful of the "Go Canada Go" chants, knowing that it was only a hint of what's to come when the 2012 world junior hockey championship officially gets underway on Monday.

Canada opens the tournament against Finland, the first of two games on the Rexall schedule. Denmark plays the United States later on Monday.

"That was probably the biggest crowd I've played in front of, and there were still some empty seats in the rafters. I heard those are going to be filled as well," Wedgewood said the day after Canada's first appearance in Edmonton. Sweden won the exhibition game, 5-3.

"It's surreal to be standing out on the ice having everyone singing the Canadian national anthem and to hear everyone yelling, 'Go Canada Go' during the game. When you have the crowd behind you, you can't not be excited. When you make a save, even if it's a routine save, the crowd cheers and claps and it makes you smile," Wedgewood continued, "but you have to stay level, stay in the game. You have to make sure you do all the little things to be prepared.

"It's something I can't really picture in my mind right now but obviously it's going to be something pretty memorable - skating out and hearing everyone go crazy."

The world junior tournament has been a big part of Brendan Gallagher's Christmas. The Vancouver Giants diminutive sparkplug would watch the games, wonder what it would be like slip into a Canadian jersey, and now he's going to play in the tournament, on home soil.

It is the perfect script.

"I couldn't have asked for anything more - except to win the gold medal," said Gallagher.

"I've pretty much watched every tournament growing up so I'm very familiar with it. It's been a dream of mine to play in this since I was a little guy. It really is exciting for everyone in our locker-room."

Kevin Lowe, the Edmonton Oilers president of hockey operations, hosted a Christmas dinner for the team on Saturday. Presents were showered on the players from Hockey Canada, then it was back to the practice rink on Sunday.

There was work to do, as evidenced by the loss to Sweden in Canada's final pre-tournament test run. Nothing short of gold will satisfy the Canadians, particularly goaltender Mark Visentin, captain Jaden Schwartz and forward Quinton Howden, the three holdovers from the 2011 team that let a 3-0 second period lead turn into a 5-3 loss to Russia in last year's championship final.

"Being 20 minutes away from winning is the reality. I was that close to my dream and it was taken away so for me, it adds more motivation," said Visentin. "At the same time, it's a clean slate, a new team. It's just not an easy tournament to win - and we found that out last year.

"We just need to instill that in the players here that not everything is going to be given to us. We need to come out and play every night."

Schwartz agreed that the bitterness might never disappear but the closer this tournament gets, the farther last year's goes.

"Last year is over. This is a new team," said head coach Don Hay. "We have to make our own way. We're all together in this. The more we play as a group, the more we're going to grow together as a group."

After a breath, however, Hay said that the returnees do bring a dose of motivation that will need to be injected into the lineup.

"You always need more determination," Hay said, "and this is going to be their last chance to have the opportunity to win a gold medal.

"They've experienced the lows, and now they want to experience the highs. The determination level and the work ethic has to be very high for that to happen."

Read more: http://www.canada.com/sports/Canada+keen+stearing+clear+repeat+performance+worl d+juniors/5909567/story.html#ixzz1haeRXS2L

CdnSailor
12-26-2011, 05:52 PM
As the article above says. Canada did a great job today to show how good they are.
Was great to see Stone get a hat trick and Gallagher get a goal as well.
Jonathan Huberdeau of the Saint John Sea Dogs had a five-point effort with a goal and four assists to.

Here is TSN's highlights of todays game

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip591577#clip591577

CdnSailor
12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Watching the American/Finland game today, I was to say the least a little shocked to see this years favorites loose 4 to 1 to what is considered the underdogss
Crowds in Edmonton sure cheered for the Fins as well.

Here are the highlights:

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip592340#clip592340

CdnSailor
12-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Here are the Ice Chips for this evening from TSN

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip592115#clip592115

mjw22
01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Theres too many question marks with this team & the goaltending is the weakest its been in years . It blows my mind how Pickard who faces an avg of 35+ shots a nite in Seattle & keeps them in 90% of there games doesnt have an inside track at the bare min being the backup. The goalies who we have ya play on winning teams but have a very good team infront of them so who truely knows how good they really are.

Outside of this team not going to be playing in the gold medal game i think the biggest let down will be the upcoming loss to Team USA for the New Years Eve game.... i hope im going to be wrong but i truely dont see it.

You were right about the goaltending but you can add defense . Swede game was a indicator that against Russia we could be in trouble. Nice comeback attempt but no gold. We need to start taking our skill guys and try to play something other than dump and chase . It works against the weak teams but not against swedes & Russians. :confused:

patsdude114
01-04-2012, 12:22 AM
U look at the teams the swedes & russians bring over they bring there BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYERS not guys who fit into a damn role... in this tournament u need a quick transition game & outside of Canada's 1st line they didnt really have a transition game at all.

I still dont know how Pearson made this team heck even Jenner, by far the better team won tonite being the Russians... it doesnt matter if they would of won 6-1 or 6-5 they still got it done... so many want to blame the officating but Canada dug there own hole with terrible undisclipne penalties all tournament long. Hooking & tripping calls are for the lazy role type players more skilled guys dont take those weak penalties cuz they are smarter players.

Maybe the Fins can beat us too & really make Hockey Canada look like total fools... one can only hope cuz im sick of how Hockey Canada makes there selections for this tournament.

Section_Z
01-04-2012, 03:03 AM
U look at the teams the swedes & russians bring over they bring there BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYERS not guys who fit into a damn role... in this tournament u need a quick transition game & outside of Canada's 1st line they didnt really have a transition game at all.

I still dont know how Pearson made this team heck even Jenner, by far the better team won tonite being the Russians... it doesnt matter if they would of won 6-1 or 6-5 they still got it done... so many want to blame the officating but Canada dug there own hole with terrible undisclipne penalties all tournament long. Hooking & tripping calls are for the lazy role type players more skilled guys dont take those weak penalties cuz they are smarter players.

Maybe the Fins can beat us too & really make Hockey Canada look like total fools... one can only hope cuz im sick of how Hockey Canada makes there selections for this tournament.

I have to agree with Pats Dude on the Jenner Pearson point...I didn't even notice those guys until this game for the wrong reasons. And the D was weak. Although, I do not wish for the loss...I still want this team to win the Bronze. These guys deserve it. They worked hard, and almost came back in the semi-final...

mjw22
01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
You watch the Euro's play and they try to score off the rush attacking the net. Canadian strategy dump it in and spend all your time going around in circles in the corner. For 1 its boring as hell to watch 2 it doesn't work on high skill European players. The idea that we're going to use "big bodies" to bang and crash doesn't work anymore these guys play enough in the CHL not to be intimidated by that style.We need to get back to setting up off the rush and using our size to gain possession not to try to intimidate with big hits. We have enough skill players to do that if the coaching across the country would get there heads out of their collective asses. We watch this boring S**t night in and night out in the CHL & NHL. For those who are old enough remember games in the 70's-80's with Lafluer Courneyer Dionne Orr Coffey Sittler Gretzky Bossy it was a game of speed & skill as well as toughness not this cycle the puck garbage we've watched since the late 90's. Time for a change .

The Wheatiemaniac
01-04-2012, 12:11 PM
you get left behind. But I give them their due. They did not quit, they pushed back right to the last second. The Wedgewood injury was kinda freaky to watch, the way his head snapped back. My wife is a nurse and when she saw it she cringed hard, so it must have been bad. I hope for his sake he is okay and feeling no ill affects from it.

We will win the bronze.