PDA

View Full Version : Rockets lay egg

Malc
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
by Wayne Moore

Tonight was 'Not The Night' for the Kelowna Rockets and, if things don't change soon things are not 'Gonna Be Alright.'

The Rockets were a non-factor in their return from a 10 day Christmas break losing 4-1 to the visiting Spokane Chiefs before 6,237 quiet fans at Prospera Place Tuesday.

"It's pretty disappointing. We went on the road on that eastern swing and we competed hard every single night," says assistant coach, Dan Lambert.

"Tonight the compete just wasn't there. It's not about them being that much better. If you don't want to work and you don't want to win battles, you're not going to win too many hockey games in this league."

The Rockets had several chances to get on the board first but were unable to take advantage of three early power-plays.

Instead, it was the visitors who broke out on top with a pair of power-play goals from Mitch Holmberg late in the first and Marek Kalus midway through the second.

On both goals, Liam Stewart did all the hard work in from of the net.

Stewart, son of rock legend Rod Stewart (hence the cheesy music reference at the top), provided a perfect screen on Holmberg's blast from the left circle and again wrecked havoc in front of Brown on Klaus' marker which turned out to be the game winner.

Collin Valcourt, 90 seconds after Klaus beat Brown and Holmberg with his second also scored for the Chiefs.

Reid Gow and Steve Kuhn each had a pair of helpers for the winners.

Mac Engel lost his bid for his first shutout of the season when Brett Bulmer beat him from about 20 feet out with less than two minutes to go in the game.

The goal extended Bulmer's point streak to 10 games (11 goals, 5 assists).

Lambert says the power-play was the difference but wasn't the only reason the Rockets came up short.

"We knew how they were going to kill penalties and we had a pretty good idea what their power-play was going to do. Special teams was one area they got goals in but, realistically, if it wasn't for Adam Brown they might have got nine or 10 tonight."

The Rockets played much of the game without defenceman Mitchell Chapman who was suffering from a bout of the flu.

He played just the first period.

Kelowna also went without Madison Bowey, Jesse Lees and Tyson Baillie who are all at the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge and injured players Damon Severson, Tyrell Goulbourne, Colton Heffley (3 17yo's) and Spencer Main.

D Stewart Coyle (16), C Cole Linaker (16) and RW Justin Kirkland (15) filled out the roster.

Things don't get any easier for the Rockets who travel to Tri-City Thursday. The Americans are the number one team in the WHL on home ice with a sparkling 14-2 record.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/69023/Rockets-lay-egg-in-post-holiday-return

west coast
12-28-2011, 06:28 PM
the kelowna rockets are the most under achieving team in the WHL this year! i dont understand it.On paper they seem to have all or most of the pieces.I like their goaltending,defence and forwards .Is the coach on the hotseat?

The Wheatiemaniac
12-29-2011, 05:36 PM
the kelowna rockets are the most under achieving team in the WHL this year! i dont understand it.On paper they seem to have all or most of the pieces.I like their goaltending,defence and forwards .Is the coach on the hotseat?

Are the Rockets looking to blow things up and unload guys? If so, who?

patsdude114
12-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Are the Rockets looking to blow things up and unload guys? If so, who?

ur all about blowing things up rnt u? haha sure glad ur not in charge of running a WHL franchise what a mess that would be

Malc
12-30-2011, 12:29 AM
the kelowna rockets are the most under achieving team in the WHL this year! i dont understand it.On paper they seem to have all or most of the pieces.I like their goaltending,defence and forwards. Is the coach on the hotseat?

I believe the coach is safe - if he's good enough to be assistant coach with team Canada then he's good enough for the Rockets.

A large number of injuries haven't helped the Rockets this year, plus they're a very young team, so inconsistency is to be expected (I guess :rolleyes: ).

It seems like the team has been built to be good next season so I don't think the Rockets will be involved in any trades... unless someone wants Bulmer in exchange for some large number of high picks and excellent 17/18 yo's :)

west coast
12-30-2011, 06:04 PM
I really like the core group of the Rockets- they did get alot younger this season and lost some good leadership (Wudrick) from last year .It is nice to see some of the younger guy step up and take over leadership and scoring roles(sissons).Was Jason Siebert traded or is he still injured?Perhaps the Rockets can still turn it around and make a run for the playoffs.They could be a dangerous team that may start to gel.

The Wheatiemaniac
12-30-2011, 10:35 PM
ur all about blowing things up rnt u? haha sure glad ur not in charge of running a WHL franchise what a mess that would be

one that is asked of all teams in the middle and down at this time of year. Some players just need the old "change of scenery". The message sometimes get stail and they need a new environment. I know with us, something has to give. We had 2 guys in the top 5 scoring in the league, and our second line has a fourth line center. Different teams need different things. And some teams just decide to kinda start from scratch. I realize the Rockets aren't quite Everett, but rumours fly this time of year.

Malc
12-31-2011, 12:51 AM
Was Jason Siebert traded or is he still injured?

Jason Siebert missed the first half of this season after his broken wrist didn’t heal properly. Having missed most of last season too, I think he'll be playing in the BCHL for the rest of this season (once his wrist is fine).

The Wheatiemaniac
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Are Kelowna buyers or sellers? Or are they standing pat.