PDA

View Full Version : Best Arenas in the WHL?

lutherr
06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
A question for all the WHL "hard-core" fans:

My brothers and I are making a trek to either Calgary-Edmonton or Vancouver this fall to catch as many games as possible in 4-5 days (and we're anxiously awaiting the WHL schedule before firming up our plans).

Are there any "must see" arenas in Alberta or BC easily reachable from these areas? (i.e. Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Kootenay, or Kelowna, Kamloops, etc.) That is, in terms of "classic" Juniors ambience, fans, general atmosphere, interesting arena architecture, etc.

Are there some arenas that are always sold-out, and would be virtually impossible to get into?

If you had only one or two places to see hockey, as we will, where would you go?

Any input would be appreciated - it's difficult to get this kind of insider info down here in Atlanta. (and yes, we are pretty hard-core ourselves, each having been to over 50 minor league and Juniors facilities. On last year's trip we loved both OHL Ottawa and Peterborough for the friendliness of the fans/staff and Drummondviile in the Q for small arena atmosphere (not to mention the poutine!)).

langdak
06-24-2005, 06:23 PM
i can only speak for the 2 buildings in BC that i have attended hockey at.

Vancouvers building is about 30yrs old but it is amazing to watch hockey in (kind of biast because i am a Giants season ticket holder)

Went up to Kelowna for the first round of the playoffs this year and i must say i was nothing short of very impressed.

From what i can gather about Kelowna is that every game is a sell out, the building is very nice and the staff/spectators are above first class. Of course your going to get your few goof balls but that is going to happen anywhere.

Me and the people i was watching with were all wearing Giants jerseys/hats etc and we were welcomed with open arms to Kelowna, even being fans of the visiting team in the playoffs.

In my opinion you cant go wrong watching hockey in either Vancouver or Kelowna and both teams put out a very decent product to watch.

Both teams have very good players, and with Vancouver having Gilbert Brule (top 5 pick in the next NHL draft), he pulls off some highlight reel type stuff on a regular basis.

Just my 2 cents but your trip sounds very interesting, good luck with it and enjoy the hockey wherever you choose to go.

Cheers

Scout
06-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Been to most arena's in Alberta except Lethbridge:

Medicine Hat: Sells out constant and is loud and wild. The fans sometimes get to wild. Have to get pretty lucky to get a ticket as it sells out every game. Rink is outdated and holds just over 4,000 fans.

Calgary: Home of the N.H.L. Flames. Holds over 16,000 and if the Hitman sell out it is great to watch a game. Usually sell around 8,000 per game so the rink looks half empty and seems rather quiet. If she is a sell out then look out. Alot of history and a must see.

Red Deer: Fairly new arena. Holds 6,000 plus and are very close to sell out every game. Have a great following and a group of die hard fans who would welcome you with open arms. Shiney and crew would probably take you out on the town. Fans can be boisterous if they are winning.

Scout

Number_4
06-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Well in Alberta, Lethbridge is the only one that really isnt that impressive. Despite a good team this last year, the barn was always quiet. Medicine Hat is quite impressive if you can get tickets. And a thought, If you were to fly into Calgary, you could hit Red Deer, Medicine Hat, and then take the Number One highway to Swift Current, it wouldnt be that far. Lethbridge isnt that far from Calgary either... plus some BC teams arent that bad either. In actuality, you could hit most cities from a good strong central point.

Some people have done these road trips, perhaps one can add some more to this.

IR GARD
06-25-2005, 12:04 AM
IF you decide to head towards Vancouver and Kelowna maybe get a little preview of Prospera Centre in Chilliwack if your timing works out for you. I know its not the "Dub" but if you have a day off of hockey, why not. :clap:

HAF
06-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Cranbrook wouldnt be too far out of your way either. I'm not sure the exact distance but it doesnt seem too far. I went to a few Kootenay games last year and was really impressed with the facility and the fans. I dont see too much of a problem with getting tickets but I dont know that for sure.
If you go to Red Deer just walk around yelling "SHIIINNNEEYYY SHOOOEEEESSSS" and this guy will probably pop out of nowhere and buy you a Molson...lol... Good luck.

rinkrat
06-25-2005, 09:58 AM
If you go to Vancouver,you could also go across the border to Everett,they have a beautiful rink,best one I have seen in junior hockey.The fans are really friendly,its a two hour drive from Vancouver,also Seattle is about 1/2 hour from Everett.

Rooselk
06-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I agree with Rinkrat that Everett should definately be on your list. As for Seattle, it's not bad for NBA basketball but it's not so great for WHL hockey. I hear Spokane has a very nice rink, though. If the schedule works, you could always go to Cranbrook, down to Spokane, over to Everett, up to Vancouver, and then over to Kelowna. It would be a very nice trip.

Stay-Puft
06-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Spokane has an outstanding rink. Sell-outs are around 10,000 when they have them (Americans games and when they are near the lead in standings). They have a large jumboscreen on one side of the rink and show constant Spokane replays on hard hits or scoring. If you sit on the first level, great place to watch a game. Have never sat in upper bowl level. Mixed feelings with fans. Some are great and are there to cheer for their team, but also give kudos for great plays from the visitors. Others need to be filtered from the gene pool with their actions and words (get your kids earmuffs). But all root their team on. Three Rivers coliseum (Americans home) needs upgrades, but is very close to the action (5,900 seats). Nothing worth the 2 hour drive from Spokane, though. Have been to Kamloops, but when I was there, they were in the old barn (wood seats). Don't know about their new place.

Flathead
06-26-2005, 12:02 AM
If you can tickets to a game in Medicine Hat, it's more than worth it. Awesome atmosphere, can get a little to rowdy and rude though.

BarksBaby4ever
06-27-2005, 05:22 AM
One of the best arena's around. If it was up to me the best.Great fans. Really loud and rowdy. Yes the arena sells out real fast but if you can't get a ticket from the ticket office then just stand outside and get a ticket from scallopers(however spelt) For the 2004/05 season that's how I got my tickets and even the play-offs. The reg. season games I've gotten tickets as cheap as $5.00.

Beaner
06-27-2005, 11:01 AM
A question for all the WHL "hard-core" fans:

My brothers and I are making a trek to either Calgary-Edmonton or Vancouver this fall to catch as many games as possible in 4-5 days (and we're anxiously awaiting the WHL schedule before firming up our plans).

Well, if I was coming from Atlanta to catch as many games as possible this is what I would do.

Fly into Edmonton. I think they have direct Flights from Atlanta.
Get a rental Car.

Game 1 - Red Deer
Game 2 - Calgary
Game 3 - Lethbridge
Game 4 - Medicine Hat
Game 5 - Swift Current
Game 6 - Medicine Hat
Game 7 - Regina

Then Fly out of Regina.

Each of those markets are only a couple hours away from each other, wether the schedule works in your favour is doubtful, but you may get lucky. The bonus is you get to see the entire central division and a wide range of rinks.

If you end up coming to Vancouver Instead -

Game 1 - Vancouver
Game 2 - Everett
Game 3 - Seattle
Game 4 - Tri Cities ?
Game 5 - Portland

Personally I would go the Alberta route if your goal is to see as much Junior hockey as possible in the shortest drive times. The western conference teams are a lot further away from each other on average compared to the east.

RunTheGoalie
06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Tickets can be had in Medicine Hat if you buy early enough. I'd recommend calling the team itself and explaining that you would be coming up from Atlanta. I'm sure the team could do something for you then.

Otherwise, if you can, schedule to come around a rivalry series. ie: A Calgary-Red Deer or Lethbridge-Medicine Hat home and home series. Such series always draw the biggest crowds, and the best atmosphere. In the case of Calgary-Red Deer, there are always hundreds of fans from both cities that make the trips into the other teams barns.

WHEATMAN
07-25-2005, 01:48 PM
the keystone centre has a great playoff atmoshphere

bandwagonboy
07-26-2005, 05:02 PM
As others have said, it's not that hard to get tickets in Medicine Hat. With the exception of the first game of the season, the last game of the season and the playoffs you can always get one from someone trying to sell one at the door. Usually for less than $15. It sounds like The Arena is the type of Junior hockey venue you are interested in, it's a cramped building full of enthusiastic loud fans. You'll enjoy it.