PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 Blazers 3 - Dec 28, 2011

dondo
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Blazers Singe Giants
Vancouver 1 Kamloops 3

Kudos to the pxp and colour guys for the Blazers. Very well-balanced game calling; fair across the board. Supportive without drifting into homer land, might even have been generous to the Giants. Jackson Whistle finally gets a start versus yet another top team. Cole Cheveldave got the back to back start for the Blazers and was very solid. The Giants, Jordan Martinook in particular, want a few of their break-away chances back as it seemed that it was the only time the Giants were able to get to the net. The Blazers were excellent in their own zone, close checking and giving the Giants who played very hard on the cycle very little time and space to make moves. Another battle of the boards in this one. Whistle had to be stellar in the first. Giants were not good in the face-off circle and squandered a few chances, but it wasn't for lack of effort. The Blazers finally solved Whistle at 12:37 of the opening period. Whistle was guilty of over-committing on a few of his saves, but it's not what was his downfall. They nursed that 1 goal lead for some time, before allowing a tying marker. It took 21 seconds for the Blazers to re-establish their lead. They added one in the third and held on for the win.

The Blazers came out flying, skating hard and pressuring in the Giants end of the ice. They forced Whistle to make a lot of stops, some of the huge variety, before finally getting a shot from the point through traffic and Whistle. Cain Franson had a goal waived off as he knocked it in with a clear high stick, but it was some nice eye hand coordination to spike the puck into the net. The Giants used their first PP chance to tie the game very late in the middle frame. It was a period in which they were being forced to hustle hard in their own end of the ice as the Blazers controlled the play in the period. Nathan Burns scored his 6th of the season, pounding in a rebound on the PP. Brett Kulak and Alex Kuvavev, with his third point in two games, got the assists. 21 seconds later the Blazers regained their lead, squeezing a puck through Whistle's body and glove hand and is a shot I am betting he would want another crack at saving. A beautiful passing play set up the Blazers third goal from the slot. One Whistle had no chance getting a hand on.

Rookie Watch: Kulak (17) another minus, but not for lack of trying and an assist on the Giants only goal. Sward (17) played minutes throughout the line-up, but mainly with Kuvaev and Franson as Hanlon juggled lines. Bellerive (17) mainly on the top line, getting some chances, but lacking finish around the net. Bews (17) had some good third line shifts and a great back-check, playing mostly with Vetterl (17), who was a rock on the PK and unlucky not to find twine in this one. Nielsen (17) another noticeable night on the fourth line. Harland (16) a few good fourth line shifts. Orban (17) minimal shifts, didn't notice him too much.

Fight Night: some emotion, but no fights

Zebra Cage: Steve Papp and Ryan Benbow -- surprised me by calling a pretty consistent game. Very few calls out of thin air and both were consistent with their calls. Thank you. B+

The Blazers badly out shot the Giants 34-19. The G's were just not able to get shots off as their attempts were tipped to the boards or deflected away. The Giants went 1 for 3 on the PP, while holding the Blazers to 0 for 4. The Giants probably should have pressed harder for shots, but they had to be aware of the Blazer's dangerous transistion game. I would have liked to have seen more boys without the puck going to the net though and work toward the net from behind the goal instead of going to the side-boards, so much - but those are actually minor wants as they played a strong game, just got beat by a better team on the night. I know that Matinook would love to have another crack at his two SH'd breakaways, which could have changed the complexion of the game early on. Like Morrison did last night, Whistle made the toughest stops and although Cheveldave was solid and especially on clear cut chances, he wasn't forced to be exceptional as the Blazers work in thier own end of the ice was almost perfect.

James Henry was a big -3 on the night and might be guilty of trying too much (?). I am disappointed to see Chucky picking up maximum minuses in these losses. He is a better player than he has shown and usually with Gally out of the line-up he steps it up. I don`t really blame Chucky though as the top line appeared to be really battling out there tonight. Maybe Kuvaev should play on the top line with Henry and Martinook. I also felt the Giants missed a few too many nets with high and wide shots. They were not awful by any stretch, but they were out-played by the tenacious Blazers who are proving themselves to be the real deal.

The G's have a day off before taking on the Cougars back at home. It begins an eight game home-stand and without some of their more skilled cogs in the line-up it might be a good place to be for awhile as they have played their best hockey at the Coliseum this season. The puck drops at 7pm PST in Vancouver.

Three Stars

1. Austin Madaisky
2. JC Lipon
3. Jordan Martinook

Dondo`s Hardhat: goes to ... Jordan Martinook. Had the best chances of any Giant player. Worked his butt off every shift, but also carried a -2 on the night. The top line was played hard and unfortunately were on the wrong end of the goals against in this one, but that doesn`t pull the hardhat from Jordan`s head.

Giantsfan
12-29-2011, 02:09 PM
The Gmen were terrible in the third period. Credit the Blazers for playing a solid game both ends completely shutting the Giants down. I couldn't recall one decent scoring chance in the third for the Giants.

It really goes to show how valuable Gallagher, Tvrdon, Musil & Morrison are to the success of the team. Without them, each game is a struggle to win.

It's sad to see a game with basically no emotion, against a team that used to be considered a solid rival to the Giants.