PDA

View Full Version : Halfway there -- The forwards

SectionNDeserter
12-30-2011, 08:51 AM
This is my personal assessment of the forwards at the halfway point, including a letter grade and where I see them in the future with the team.

Turner Elson (B+) - An injury and improperly explained long suspension have limited him to 30 games so far, but he is clawing his way back to the top of the pile with a lot of hard work. He has been one of the leaders on the team during their tough december, with quite possibly the most hits, and tons of scoring chances. He would be a fantastic addition to the team next season as an overage player, if the Flames don't assign him to the AHL.

Cory Millette (A-) - Transformed a strong first half into an audition with the U-17 squad at the tournament in Windsor, ON, which he later made. Decent speed, pretty good hands, and plays really well around the net at both ends of the ice. He should be a fixture in the top two lines next season.

Colton Mayor (A-) - Is there anything this guy can't do? He hits, he fights, he scores goals, he makes great defensive plays. Easily the best player on the team in the last 20 games or so. I see him on next year's version of the team.

Charles Inglis - Not going to give him a letter grade yet, as he has only played one game for the Rebels at the time I post this, but he is named the game's hardest worker in that game. Surprising jump to his game, considering he has been off the ice for a while. The Rebel's weakness coming into the season was depth at center, and it is shaping up to be a huge strength for them next season, with Inglis and Kambeitz potentially returning. He bolsters an already strong, although yet unknown lineup of overage players next season.

John Persson (B+) - Struggled a bit in December. Still backchecks hard, but most of his shots came from the perimeter, and he looked to be the most affected by all the missing bodies from the lineup of any Rebel. I predict a strong second half for him, as the Rebels get some players back in the lineup (hopefully). If things progress as they have, he will probably be playing somewhere in the Islanders organization next season.

Joel Hamilton (C+) - Uses his mobility effectively, and is technically sound defensively. His real strength is killing penalties, which I see improving with every passing game. I see him as a solid 3rd liner/penalty killer next season.

Chad Robinson (B-) - He continues to quietly put up points, with 24 in the first 37 games, while not affecting the defensive part of his game. His real strength is his acceleration, as it catches guys off guard from time to time. If he continues to progress as he has, he should be in the top two lines next season, and the top penalty killing unit.

Mason Burr (C+) - When it comes to hockey players, I love being proven wrong. While Burr hasn't put up any sort of numbers to speak of in the first half, he has looked like a WHL player, and his game continues to improve. He looks a lot more confident when crossing the other team's blueline with the puck, and has made a few good defensive plays as well. He is still very much a work in progress, but he should stick with the team next season if he keeps up the hard work and continues to improve as he has.

Brooks Maxwell (C+) - You can teach a kid how to play hockey, but you can't teach them to skate like this guy does. He uses his blazing speed to beat guys to pucks, and he blocks a TON of shots on the penalty kill. If he continues to develop, and gets a bit better around the net and in traffic, he could become a top-line player.

Josh Cowen (D-) - The dark cloud that follows this guy around continues, as he gets concussed from a big headshot in Lethbridge and hasn't played since. Up until that point he was still playing well defensively, and not putting up any offensive numbers to speak of. He is in his overage season, and is likely one of the overage players that will be released when him and Borejko return from injury.

Dexter Bricker (B+) - I don't usually include affiliate players into these things, but he has really impressed me and as well, the Rebels have a roster spot open after the recent trades, meaning he could stay with the team. He doesn't look out of place at all, and plays an in-your-face style, and has fantastic positioning and hockey sense. If he isn't added to the roster full-time this season, I can't help but think he will be in the lineup next season.

Tyson Ness (B+) - Struggled a bit in November, and early December, but has turned his game around to put up 11 goals and 16 points. Given his speed, he scores surprisingly few goals on the rush, but more on quick passes in front of the net. He is a candidate for a spot in the top two lines next season.

Adam Kambeitz (A-) - Possibly the team's most complete forward, was scoring at a point-a-game pace until being sidelined with a broken wrist suffered in a fight. A few games before that he came out of a fight looking like he got hit in the face with a cinderblock. When he returns from his current injury, he really needs to reconsider fighting without any good reason. He should form the "1a or 1b" part of the team's centermen with Inglis next season.

Marc McCoy (C+) - He isn't exactly filling the net, but it seems like every goal that he scores is a huge clutch goal. His skating continues to improve, and he is good defensively. If he can put a bit more weight on his big frame without giving up speed, and can step up his hitting game, he could be a future top-two centerman with this team.

Subtractions:

Locke Muller - I thought his defensive game was getting better. His skating seemed to be actually getting worse somehow, though he was able to play within his limitations. Good luck in Saskatoon Locke!

Daulton Siwak - His game really hit a wall, and he really stopped improving as a player around a year ago. To add to his woes, he missed a lot of time with a shoulder injury. He wasn't playing poorly, just not up to expectations. Best of luck in Prince George, and hopefully he can get his game back on track.

Rebel~66
12-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Always love these posts, SectionN. Thanks for doing them.

I agree with your grades for the most part but would rate Hamilton and, especially, Maxwell a little higher. His speed alone is worth a B!

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2011, 06:29 AM
I agree with your grades for the most part but would rate Hamilton and, especially, Maxwell a little higher. His speed alone is worth a B!They have used their speed to be effective defensively, but are still working on using it to become a consistant scoring threat. They will get there, but they aren't quite there yet. ;)