PDA

View Full Version : Halfway there -- The defense and goaltenders

SectionNDeserter
12-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Aaron Borejko (C+) - Injury has limited him to eight games since my last post. Little has changed in his game, he still plays a conservative, shut-down type role. Will he ever return? He definitely appears to be one of the two overage players that will be released when both him and Cowen return to the lineup.

Kayle Doetzel (C+) - The injury to Borejko resulted in Doetzel getting about four times as much ice time as he was getting in the first ten games. He played ok in these games, but nothing like he was playing when he was getting an appropriate amount of ice time for a 16 year old rookie. He got beat to the outside a lot, and made a lot of bad passes, but not really his fault, as he was sort of thrown to the wolves due to injuries. Down the road, he will be a future top pairing defenseman.

Matt Dumba - (C+) - His ice time increased as well with all the injuries and suspensions. He did not respond as positively as I would expect an elite player to respond, and played well below his standards for about fifteen games, and was easily the worst player on the ice for a stretch of about five games in the middle. His hitting has really backed off a lot, possibly in response to the league's crackdown on hitting. During those fifteen games, he got beat one-on-one a lot, and passed the puck to the other team about five times a game. The good news? He has stepped up his game again since being cut from the World Jr. camp, and has started putting the puck on net again, stopped turning the puck over, and working hard on the boards. His game in November and December doesn't seem to have had any affect on his NHL draft ranking on paper, if he goes in the top 5 as it is expected, there is a strong chance he will be in the show next year. If he doesn't, he will return as the Rebel's top defenseman.

Stephen Hak - (C+) - A bit weak on the boards in his own end, but he moves the puck well, and likes to shoot the puck. He is possibly the Rebel's best defenseman at keeping the puck in the other team's zone when they try to clear the zone off the boards. As his defensive game improves, I can see him on the #2 pairing next season.

Alex Petrovic - (A+) - Losing him next season is going to be a HUGE blow to this team. He must lead the league in TOI, as he is almost never off the ice, especially with the injury to Borejko. I have noticed that since returning from the World Jr. camp, he is shooting the puck a great deal more than he ever has. Should transform into a lot more points in the second half if he maintains it. There is about a 99.9% chance that he is playing in the Florida Panther's organization somewhere next season.

Devan Fafard - No letter grade, as he has only played one game. In his one game I noticed him move the puck very well, skating with it to almost the front of the opposition net on one occasion. He leveled a few guys and even dropped the gloves. He needs a little work on his gap control, as he seems to be an average skater, and he wasn't giving the attackers enough room in the neutral zone. He is only 17, and in his first season, but he appears to have most of the tools required to be a decent second/third pairing defenseman in the future.

Cody Thiel - (C+) - He continues to develop into a decent defenseman. He has a few scary aspects to his game that he needs to work out of it, like taking himself out of position to make a hit--lets leave that to the experts like Dumba. He is fairly aggressive in his own end, and surprisingly nobody has accepted an invitation to fight him, despite him never having fought, and having no reputation. If he can refine his game a little, he could be a second/third pairing defenseman next season.

Justin Weller (B+) - He continues to be the reason for a lot of WHL forwards' bad days, destroying them on the boards in his own end of the ice. Of late he has been stepping up his offensive game a little with a few rushes and more shots on goal. He is playing out his final season with the team, and will be playing in Phoenix's system somewhere next season.

Goalies:

Patrik Bartosak (A-) - While he cooled off a bit as the number of shots against him went up after all the injuries started to pile up, he is still easily the best goalie on the team. He has unfortunately undergone season-ending shoulder surgery. He remains in the team's plans for the coming season, it will be astonishing if he is not selected in the NHL Entry draft this summer.

Deven Dubyk (B-) - The overage goalie gets an opportunity to finish his WHL career as a starter after being a backup the previous 3 seasons. He hasn't stolen any games for them yet, but he is giving them an opportunity to win. This is his final season in the WHL, and he will finish with Red Deer.

Boulton Pouliot (F-) - He continues to struggle, and doesn't look like he is ready for the WHL. He continues to not have his stick down on the ice when he should, and it takes him about 3 seconds to get from one post to the other. Sad to say, because he is such a good kid, but I dont think he is with the team next season.

Subtractions:

Matt Pufahl - Like Siwak, he sort of hit a wall. He was capable defensively, and chewed up a lot of minutes, but was unable to take his game to the next level. Good luck playing in front of your family and friends in Stoon Matty!

lordstanley
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Good Report Cards i wish some Blades poster would do the same i guess i could we will see

Rebel~66
12-31-2011, 02:58 AM
Good job with these grades too. The only one I would disagree with is Weller. I would rate him as a solid A for sure. He has been a beast out there. A huge upgrade on last season. I've been very impressed with him.

edit: I feel bad with the F for Pouliot too. Yes he has certainly struggled and he is not ready for this level of hockey but an F seems a little tough on the kid.

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2011, 06:57 AM
The only one I would disagree with is Weller. I would rate him as a solid A for sure. He has been a beast out there. A huge upgrade on last season. I've been very impressed with him.His defensive game is A+, but he doesn't use his offensive tools (which he does have) nearly as much as he should. I have been saying since he was 17 that he should be playing on the power play instead of putting one of the wingers back there, and halfway through his overage season we are finally getting to see him on the power play a bit!

WHLFANMAN
01-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Good Report Cards i wish some Blades poster would do the same i guess i could we will see

HAHA I dare you Stanley!:D

The Wheatiemaniac
01-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Good job with these grades too. The only one I would disagree with is Weller. I would rate him as a solid A for sure. He has been a beast out there. A huge upgrade on last season. I've been very impressed with him.

edit: I feel bad with the F for Pouliot too. Yes he has certainly struggled and he is not ready for this level of hockey but an F seems a little tough on the kid.

I'm sure alot of teams will be inquiring about both Petrovic and Weller. I would love to see either one make his way to Brandon. Weller is the type of solid veteran D man that teams wanna bulk up with going towards the playoffs. Even though Red Deer is not out of the playoff hunt, they might be enticed by an offer by someone. Last year we looked like we were done for. Other than Schenn, we made the deal with Vancouver and swapped an OA defenceman for OA center Matt McKay. He was the perfect fit on our top unit, and it helped turn our season around. The deadline is always an interesting chess match between teams. Should be nothing less again this year.

lordstanley
01-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Interesting deal with you guys This Matthew Pufahl kid has been great since coming here 2 points in 2 games a +1 playing top PP times moves the puck great and plays very smart

The kid has really taken alot of pressure off our top 4 dmen

The Wheatiemaniac
01-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Interesting deal with you guys This Matthew Pufahl kid has been great since coming here 2 points in 2 games a +1 playing top PP times moves the puck great and plays very smart

The kid has really taken alot of pressure off our top 4 dmen

So what might Red Deer want to add next? Or are they ready to stand pat?