PDA

View Full Version : to trade, or not to trade...

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
We could still hold on to our assets, as we have a top forward, top defenceman, and a pretty good goalie as it seems right now. Reinforce the depth a little bit and try to reach the second round or beyond. I see this as more likely considering our recent playoff drought, and clearly the preferred option in the scheme of things.

Now, Im not sure if the herrod trade is the one to open the floodgates...but considering what the raiders got for him(and sask with the Dzkjashdioahski trade), perhaps it makes the alternative more enticing if we can get more than you think we would get under normal circumstances.

Since this is all hypothetical, due to the fact we dont own shares with the franchise or anything, what players could be wearing this uniform come deadline day? what players are gone? what teams do you think we deal with? etc

witness
12-31-2011, 02:19 PM
I think that Lang is hesitant to make any trades. He doesn't want to mess with the chemistry of the room. The guys are playing a good team game and the coaches seem to have the players understanding their role on the team.

The Pats are for sure not buyers. They do have some expendible assets to make a few minor additions, but there will be no big names coming this way.

They are not necessarily sellers either. It is obvious that PA has pulled the shoot and are selling off assets, and I think SC will be doing the same this week. I wouldn't be surprised to see Saskatoon make available their 19 and 20 year old for future prospects. They will want to stock pile drafts for next years run.

I believe that in order to move either Weal or Davidson, Lang will have to get an offer that will knock his socks off. There are only 3 teams that I think have the assets that could make it happen (high end 17 year old players). And those are Portland, MJ, and Edm.

MJ is in the market for a defenseman. I would imagine that Jobke would interest them more than Davidson. They would like that PP shooter on the blueline. An element that Jobke has over Davidson.

I think the Pats would like to move Borstmeyer (or maybe Peel). Maybe a minor change up front. But, I think that will be it.

Bepoleon
12-31-2011, 02:36 PM
I've been contemplating this decision for the past week. Do we sell trade Weal and others? or add a couple pieces?

Earlier in the year, I was all about trading Weal but with how this team has been performing lately, its a real hard decision to make. The past 5 games (at the least) it seems Weal has been the difference. Without him we would've lost most (if not all) of them.

If we buy, I would like to see a tough guy like Doty, Elliot, Mychan added. Kevin Sundher would be prime. Maybe a relevant 20 year old like Braes or Vause.

Pats players that I find expendable... Marantz (doesn't suit us as a 20 year old, if were buying). Martell. Moser. Others if were selling... Weal, Davidson, Blidstand, Bidlevskii and Jobke.

I'm sure Lang will do whats right for this team whatever his decision is. Weal might be worth kings (no pun intended) randsom this year.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I agree that barring anything nuts, we shouldnt push any extremes...we are doing well, but we need to step in one of the directions. Sell off a bit to benefit next year's group, or add a little bit(like a good winger) to maybe make a playoff push more realistic.

However we should listen to offers. We have our own needs to fill regardless. We have a huge hole in next years defence without any notable '93 defencemen for next year(unless borstmayer is hiding something), and like bepoleon said we are still kind of small and soft upfront.

I still think our decision to act or not could depend on what other teams in the conference do. If the three other contending divisional teams all add for a playoff run, do we do more than minor tinkering? I still think its difficult to tell what this team will do on the deadline.

patsdude114
12-31-2011, 09:37 PM
I do feel Lang will be keeping all assets, as the playoffs are very important to this franchise who hasnt been in the playoffs in 3 long years (thanks to some terrible GM moves by Parker) u dont trade away ur assets when ur sitting tied for 5th in the conference. There would be alot of very pissed off season ticket holders who would definately question the willingness to wanting to win.

We have alot of very good prospects coming up its not like our cupboards are bare like they were when we had Eberle & Tuebert. Im sure Lang wont be adding any marquee players maybe a piece here & there. I still dont think Blidstrand is a lock on this roster come trade deadline, he has been playing very well as of late & that could help with any market value he may have (hes not as bad as so many fans seem to think he is)

We've all seen what Hewitt is capable of doing between the pipes, we have some solid Dmen & you can never forget about the Weal factor. If only Volek could truely get going he has a ton of talent & get snake bitten at times he has improved alot since the start of the year maybe it just takes abit more baring down when he gets a chance.

Also lets not forget that everyone thought our defense was going to be brutal this year but with 2 trade Lang brought in Jobke & Underwood. Lang will make moves during the offseason to get what the team needs. I also feel that Jobke will be back next year will kind of be like Bartley where the Pats werent expecting him back & kind of fell on there door steps for his 20yr old year.

We do need another forward for us to have any chance of getting out of the 1st round, unless this team falls flat on its face in the 2nd half we will make the playoffs with ease. We play 21 home games in the 2nd half with alot of very winnable games. I would love to see Lang make a trade for Maylan, he is another right handed shot that would work well with Weal especially on the PP & could center the 2nd line. I like Marantz just dont think he is the kind of 20yr we need in the 2nd half either Marantz or Bidlevskii will be moved but only Bidlevskii if Lang can grab an 18yr old Dman some how.

I dont think the Pats will do much but cant just sit still either & do nothing. Maybe a swap of 19yr olds with Victoria guys like Olstad, Reider heck even Schiedl along with a mid round pick could return a 19yr old with more skill then either 1 of those guys (especially the 1st 2).

I have never been much of a fan of Bortsmayer throughout his career but he has improved alot since his stint in the SJHL with Weyburn, he no longer looks out of place. He could still be abit more physical for his size but ive learned to accept he will never be.

Trader Lang has been very quiet this year, he may be looking to make his splash at or before trade deadline.

mjw22
12-31-2011, 10:14 PM
I do feel Lang will be keeping all assets, as the playoffs are very important to this franchise who hasnt been in the playoffs in 3 long years (thanks to some terrible GM moves by Parker) u dont trade away ur assets when ur sitting tied for 5th in the conference. There would be alot of very pissed off season ticket holders who would definately question the willingness to wanting to win.

We have alot of very good prospects coming up its not like our cupboards are bare like they were when we had Eberle & Tuebert. Im sure Lang wont be adding any marquee players maybe a piece here & there. I still dont think Blidstrand is a lock on this roster come trade deadline, he has been playing very well as of late & that could help with any market value he may have (hes not as bad as so many fans seem to think he is)

We've all seen what Hewitt is capable of doing between the pipes, we have some solid Dmen & you can never forget about the Weal factor. If only Volek could truely get going he has a ton of talent & get snake bitten at times he has improved alot since the start of the year maybe it just takes abit more baring down when he gets a chance.

Also lets not forget that everyone thought our defense was going to be brutal this year but with 2 trade Lang brought in Jobke & Underwood. Lang will make moves during the offseason to get what the team needs. I also feel that Jobke will be back next year will kind of be like Bartley where the Pats werent expecting him back & kind of fell on there door steps for his 20yr old year.

We do need another forward for us to have any chance of getting out of the 1st round, unless this team falls flat on its face in the 2nd half we will make the playoffs with ease. We play 21 home games in the 2nd half with alot of very winnable games. I would love to see Lang make a trade for Maylan, he is another right handed shot that would work well with Weal especially on the PP & could center the 2nd line. I like Marantz just dont think he is the kind of 20yr we need in the 2nd half either Marantz or Bidlevskii will be moved but only Bidlevskii if Lang can grab an 18yr old Dman some how.

I dont think the Pats will do much but cant just sit still either & do nothing. Maybe a swap of 19yr olds with Victoria guys like Olstad, Reider heck even Schiedl along with a mid round pick could return a 19yr old with more skill then either 1 of those guys (especially the 1st 2).

I have never been much of a fan of Bortsmayer throughout his career but he has improved alot since his stint in the SJHL with Weyburn, he no longer looks out of place. He could still be abit more physical for his size but ive learned to accept he will never be.

Trader Lang has been very quiet this year, he may be looking to make his splash at or before trade deadline.

Would be a huge surprise if Lang didn't make a splash . If he doesn't think he can get out of round 1 he may move Weal for 93/94 roster players .Not like revenue from round 1 makes or breaks Parker but return from Weal could bolster team in the next 2-3 years.

RWAH
12-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Our talent level at the (92 yob) 19 year old is very slim. the fact remains the we have 8 - 92 (Olstad, Weal, Schiedle, Reider, Underwood, Blindstrand, Jobbke, Herwitt) next season we can keep 3. Our (93 yob) 18 year old (Martell, Oqulette, Stevenson D, Zymaluk, Borstmayer). Next season we loose 8 players, 3 - (91 yob) 20 year old (Marantz, Davidson, Billevski) and 5 of the eight (92 yob). IMO we have lots of talent in our 17, 16 and prospect but we need to bolster the 92 and 93 talent pool for next season and if we do not we may miss the playoff in 2012/13. and I think that is more important than this year. That could be a start to 3 or 4 year run at the top of the league and a chance to represent the WHL at the Memorial cup

I am not saying we need a fire sale but we need to explore trading now when our assets will bring the best return, we will need to trade to improve the 92s and 93s for next season, trade now or trade in the summer but trade we must

I agree with witness that Portland or Edmonton would be the trading partners of choice. They both have the depth at the ages we need to effect a trade that is win win.

IMO we should not be buyers, we should not be shipping off our future for a one or two round date in this years playoffs.

Parker traded to make the playoffs, trading for a cameo appearance in the playoffs is as senseless

Tweak the rooster if possible but don,t give away our future talent

patsdude114
01-01-2012, 01:35 AM
If u look around the league very few teams have many 18yr olds this year besides saskatoon they r loaded with 18yr olds by far the most. Most teams only have 3 to 5 18yr olds it seems this year so to say the Pats will be very weak in that age group is an understandment really, as many teams wont be that strong next year in that age group.

Also why would EDM trade away any 18yr olds when they can be just as strong if not stronger come next year. Also if u think trading away Weal for a few of 18yr olds is not full value for Weal at all & midas well keep him.

Either way 10 more days (or less) to see what is happening with this team, im thinking it would take a blow away deal to get Weal out of here being where we r in the standings though. If that perfect blow away deal comes around then fine trade him but dont trade him just for the fact of trading him either. Need a deal that helps us now & for the future if that doesnt come then too bad we keep him.

RWAH
01-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Pats dude!
"Either way 10 more days (or less) to see what is happening with this team, im thinking it would take a blow away deal to get Weal out of here being where we r in the standings though. If that perfect blow away deal comes around then fine trade him but dont trade him just for the fact of trading him either. Need a deal that helps us now & for the future if that doesnt come then too bad we keep him."[/QUOTE]

We are talking the same. It is not a fire sale. The deal needs to improve our talent but not sell the future.

Have not learned how to use those neat quote boxes. If anyone can help?

Bepoleon
01-01-2012, 10:30 AM
10 more days...its like christmas again!lol. My two favorite parts of the season... 1. When the season begins and 2. trade deadline. Playoffs would probably be up there... but i forgot how that feels again!lol.

RWAH - keep the [/QUOTE] and the beginning and end of the posts. You can edit the whatever's written in between.

RWAH
01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
RWAH - keep the and the beginning and end of the posts. You can edit the whatever's written in between.[/QUOTE]

Thanks