PDA

View Full Version : 3 imports

west coast
12-31-2011, 10:07 PM
kind of confused - chl allows 2 imports per team, Giants have a Russian, Slovak and a Czech.I know that Musil is considered a Canadian by a loophole that he claimed he lived in Calgary.He has competed for Czechs his whole life including the world juniors.A player should be considered an import if he plays for another country - good for the Giants for stretching the rules

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2011, 10:24 PM
It is uncommon, but not really bending the rules. Artem Bidlevskii was born in Odessa, Ukraine, but doesn't count as an import player either. There have been a few others like Steve Oursov in recent history.

CdnSailor
12-31-2011, 10:27 PM
When 2011 NHL draft prospect David Musil was looking to set out on his Western League career, the journey began with a bit of controversy.

Because he wasn’t living in Western Canada at the time, Musil wasn’t taken in his bantam draft year. But WHL teams can “list” up to 50 players between 14 and 20 years old after their draft year (including roster players), which prevents them from joining another squad.

Born in Edmonton, but mostly raised in the Czech Republic, Musil’s family moved back to Delta, B.C., prior to the 2009-10 season. The Vancouver Giants were the hometown team so Musil’s father, former NHLer Frank Musil, contacted the club to see if they’d be interested in listing his son.
“We kept it quiet and everything and did all the right paperwork and then all of a sudden we listed him and teams in the league knew who he was and started to complain about it,” said Jason Ripplinger, Vancouver’s director of player personnel. “So the league decided to do a lottery draft and Kootenay ended up winning. Good for Kootenay because they didn’t know he was in Canada and they ended up getting a first round pick out of it.”

Musil wanted to play where his family was living so the Ice traded him to the Giants for first and fifth round picks. And after the initial rocky road to the junior ranks, the 6-foot-3, 200-pound defenseman stepped right in as an impact player on one of the WHL’s top teams, despite being only 16 years old.

“Last year him coming in it was like he was an 18-year-old – like he had played two years in our league already,” Ripplinger said. “His poise with the puck when being pressured, not making any mistakes; he was such a reliable player.”

Musil led the Giants with a stellar plus-33 rating in 2009-10 en route to a Western Conference final appearance and entered this season as a first round NHL draft prospect.

Having already played at a couple international events for the Czech Republic, Musil was anticipating hitting the big stage at the World Junior Championship. But after sustaining a broken foot while blocking a shot in a WHL game, Musil was forced to sit out the tournament.

“World juniors was kind of disappointing for me,” Musil said. “I was excited, but a couple weeks before I got injured and I was going with the mindset I was going to play, but it didn’t work out. I was really excited for this season to go to the world junior.”

Nonetheless, Musil remains a hot prospect. Ranked 13th overall by International Scouting Services and 26th among North American skaters by Central Scouting, Musil is a reliable shutdown defender with offensive upside.

But while his powerful frame is daunting, Musil isn’t the type of defender who is always looking to throw the big hit – he’d rather just make the smart play.

“He’s not overly physical, but won’t shy away from it,” Ripplinger said. “He got into a fight at the prospects game, but I haven’t personally seen him fight – he did pretty good. Obviously when you’re that big, you’re going to get challenged.”

Musil cites his father as a significant influence in his career. Frank himself was a big defender who played parts of 14 seasons in the NHL for Minnesota, Calgary, Ottawa and Edmonton and was a second round pick in 1983. The fact someone in David’s family has lived this life has helped him develop as a player and deal with being a top prospect in his draft year.

“Always practicing with me, coaching me, he passed on a lot of experience,” Musil said of his father. “He went through all this so he knows what he’s talking about.”

When it comes to comparisons, Ripplinger didn’t want to measure Musil against Chris Pronger and had a hard time putting his finger on one specific player, simply stating, “he does it all.” Musil also had a hard time lining himself up to an NHLer, but put a common comparison into context.

“I like to watch Pronger,” Musil said. “It’s hard to say if I play like someone – if I played like him I’d be in the NHL at 18.”

CdnSailor
12-31-2011, 10:28 PM
kind of confused - chl allows 2 imports per team, Giants have a Russian, Slovak and a Czech.I know that Musil is considered a Canadian by a loophole that he claimed he lived in Calgary.He has competed for Czechs his whole life including the world juniors.A player should be considered an import if he plays for another country - good for the Giants for stretching the rules

Not sure as to where the loophole is..........................

patsdude114
12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
It is uncommon, but not really bending the rules. Artem Bidlevskii was born in Odessa, Ukraine, but doesn't count as an import player either. There have been a few others like Steve Oursov in recent history.

I never knew this at all altho i was always abit confused with the name Artem not a normal named for a canadian kid by any means.

MeszarosFan
12-31-2011, 10:42 PM
So I guess that Tanner Richard who is playing for Switzerland is an import as well, even though he is a Canadian and playing in Guelph? Or what about Marko Dano who is playing for Slovakia but was born in Austria? Or Ignat Zemchenko, playing for Russia, born in the Ukraine? What about Alexander Ruutu who was born in Chicago but plays for Finland. Are they all playing for the wrong teams too?

If you knew anything about international hockey you would realize that there are a number of players who play for other countries teams. As I recall two or three players on the gold medal winning USA team a couple years ago were Canadian, but they weren't good enough to make the Canadian team. Why shouldn't they seize the opportunity when they are given the chance. Of course Brett Hull is the biggest name that comes to mind as being a Canadian but playing the USA.

David was born in Edmonton when his father was playing there. So by birth he is Canadian. He moved to Czechoslovakia after his dads career here ended and developed under their program. I have absolultely no issues with him continuing to play under their flag internationally, and don't see it as a conflict at all. I think you need to grow up, put on your big boy panties and get with reality.

The Wheatiemaniac
12-31-2011, 11:08 PM
So I guess that Tanner Richard who is playing for Switzerland is an import as well, even though he is a Canadian and playing in Guelph? Or what about Marko Dano who is playing for Slovakia but was born in Austria? Or Ignat Zemchenko, playing for Russia, born in the Ukraine? What about Alexander Ruutu who was born in Chicago but plays for Finland. Are they all playing for the wrong teams too?

If you knew anything about international hockey you would realize that there are a number of players who play for other countries teams. As I recall two or three players on the gold medal winning USA team a couple years ago were Canadian, but they weren't good enough to make the Canadian team. Why shouldn't they seize the opportunity when they are given the chance. Of course Brett Hull is the biggest name that comes to mind as being a Canadian but playing the USA.

David was born in Edmonton when his father was playing there. So by birth he is Canadian. He moved to Czechoslovakia after his dads career here ended and developed under their program. I have absolultely no issues with him continuing to play under their flag internationally, and don't see it as a conflict at all. I think you need to grow up, put on your big boy panties and get with reality.

I was told that Musil was allowed to pick his own team. I do feel that regardless of loopholes, if they play in the CHL and choose to represent European countries in international play, they should be considered an import. Thats all. I know some will disagree, but it's just my opinion.

CdnSailor
12-31-2011, 11:15 PM
I was told that Musil was allowed to pick his own team. I do feel that regardless of loopholes, if they play in the CHL and choose to represent European countries in international play, they should be considered an import. Thats all. I know some will disagree, but it's just my opinion.

I guess you heard this from the horses mouth, his family or his manager.
Unless you can give a name as to who told you I would give it up on all accounts.

scrunt
01-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Oh waaah! :(

I wonder why this complaint is coming up now? Musil has been with the Giants for two and a half seasons, and for much of that time there were two imports on the roster. Presumably it is because of Musil's exposure at the WJHC, and there appears to be some sour grapes.

I think the Giants would happily have Musil designated as an import and get their first and fifth round bantam draft picks back. It's not like the Giants' Euros are ringers.

So why did none of the CHL teams select Musil in the import draft? I can only presume it was because he did not meet whatever criteria defines an import. In that case, why then did no team take him in the bantam draft? According to the article cited by CdnSailor, it was because Musil was not living in Canada at the time, so no team wanted to waste a pick. So when David and his family moved to BC, he became eligible to be listed by a WHL team. This is not so much a loophole as a unique circumstance that was not defined in the regulations.

So while the Giants tried to list Musil, the league did not allow it and went to a lottery. It would have been the same no matter what team was involved. I fail to see how the Giants received preferential treatment.

In the end the Musils were able to use the "I'm not going to play for the team that has my rights" leverage, but it still cost the Giants big to get him. This has nothing to do with nationality or eligibility to play for certain countries in international competition.

Certain teams have an ability to attract players for various reasons (and yes, big market teams have advantages of higher revenue potential and exposure for players). In fact, that is the way the CHL import draft works. All the top picks are pre-arranged marriages as players and agents tell the teams who they will play for and who they won't, and any team ignoring these instructions ends up with a wasted pick.

The Wheatiemaniac
01-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Oh waaah! :(

I wonder why this complaint is coming up now? Musil has been with the Giants for two and a half seasons, and for much of that time there were two imports on the roster. Presumably it is because of Musil's exposure at the WJHC, and there appears to be some sour grapes.

I think the Giants would happily have Musil designated as an import and get their first and fifth round bantam draft picks back. It's not like the Giants' Euros are ringers.

So why did none of the CHL teams select Musil in the import draft? I can only presume it was because he did not meet whatever criteria defines an import. In that case, why then did no team take him in the bantam draft? According to the article cited by CdnSailor, it was because Musil was not living in Canada at the time, so no team wanted to waste a pick. So when David and his family moved to BC, he became eligible to be listed by a WHL team. This is not so much a loophole as a unique circumstance that was not defined in the regulations.

So while the Giants tried to list Musil, the league did not allow it and went to a lottery. It would have been the same no matter what team was involved. I fail to see how the Giants received preferential treatment.

In the end the Musils were able to use the "I'm not going to play for the team that has my rights" leverage, but it still cost the Giants big to get him. This has nothing to do with nationality or eligibility to play for certain countries in international competition.

Certain teams have an ability to attract players for various reasons (and yes, big market teams have advantages of higher revenue potential and exposure for players). In fact, that is the way the CHL import draft works. All the top picks are pre-arranged marriages as players and agents tell the teams who they will play for and who they won't, and any team ignoring these instructions ends up with a wasted pick.

As I said, I had heard i differing story. But reading the article explains it clearer. It was definitely a unique situation. I can't remember another situation like it in a long time.

But I still feel that a player who declares himself to play for a European team should be considered an import. If he's considered non-import, he should be playing for the country he is considered to be from. Just my thoughts on it.

west coast
01-01-2012, 12:56 PM
thanks for all the info on Musil boys, it is appreciated and i would guess that the only reason that Musil was not selected in import draft is that he was not registered

The Wheatiemaniac
01-01-2012, 05:09 PM
thanks for all the info on Musil boys, it is appreciated and i would guess that the only reason that Musil was not selected in import draft is that he was not registered

Do Euro players have to register for the import draft, or are they registered automatically?

west coast
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
i would imagine that they must have to register inorder to make it known that they would like to play in North America.That is why teams dont waste picks on kids that have no interest in coming to America.The Euro draft is indeed a crapshoot

dondo
01-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Well you were wrong, he became a listed player -- which as you know in your vast realm of knowledge, you continually try to pretend you have, is legal for every single team in the CHL. That's how free-agents are acquired and to be brutally honest the league actually badly over-stepped their bounds interfering in this perfectly legal and above board acquisition. It had nothing to do with loopholes or preferential treatment, but to do with proximity, knowledge and research.

if they play in the CHL and choose to represent European countries in international play, they should be considered an import.

funnily enough this is just your opinion (unfounded and ungrounded) and not actually the rule .. so umm .. it doesn't count - for anything really

btw: As far as imports are concerned we have had bad luck with them the past few years as well and have often played half a season or more with only one import on the roster.

Tvrdon was injured last season just 12 games in and we had another lazy euro who jumped ship as soon as he found out how hard it would be to play here just as the regular season started. This year we didn't have a second euro until Kuvaev was added, because we were screwed over by the Canucks as we drafted a euro goalie that was supposed to play, but didn't due to somebody not doing their research and making sure the papers had been signed - thanks Canucks. So take your sour grapes back to Wheatie-land your 15 seconds are up.