PDA

View Full Version : Mark McNeil

Raiderfan8
01-02-2012, 08:50 PM
With McNeil signing an entry level contract , I take this as the Blackhawks are gonna want him playing with them or there AHL team next season. Do the fans feel he will now get traded? I think this changes things big time and he will be dealt.

Wapitikev
01-02-2012, 08:54 PM
With McNeil signing an entry level contract , I take this as the Blackhawks are gonna want him playing with them or there AHL team next season. Do the fans feel he will now get traded? I think this changes things big time and he will be dealt.

Can McNeil play AHL as a 19 year old?

Isn't the minimum age 20?

I honestly have to look this one up.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
01-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Can McNeil play AHL as a 19 year old?

Isn't the minimum age 20?

I honestly have to look this one up.

-Wapitikev

From the AHL Web-site:

"Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition."

...but why would the Hawks want him to develop in the A when he can be more dominant in the W and therefore develop more confidence (and skill)?

-Wapitikev

mjw22
01-02-2012, 09:01 PM
From the AHL Web-site:

"Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition."

...but why would the Hawks want him to develop in the A when he can be more dominant in the W and therefore develop more confidence (and skill)?

-Wapitikev

It happens but not too often . The AHL is hard enough at 20 let alone 19 . I doubt the Hawks would do that.

SectionNDeserter
01-02-2012, 09:11 PM
...but why would the Hawks want him to develop in the A when he can be more dominant in the W and therefore develop more confidence (and skill)?-WapitikevThose are only the AHL bylaws. The NHL CBA doesn't allow for signed NHL prospects drafted out of Major Junior to play in the AHL before their overage season, with the exception of the end of the season when their team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

Wapitikev
01-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Those are only the AHL bylaws. The NHL CBA doesn't allow for signed NHL prospects drafted out of Major Junior to play in the AHL before their overage season, with the exception of the end of the season when their team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

I had always wondered about that (I've heard many suggest that the minimum age for the A is 20) but I couldn't find anything that specifically mentioned it.

Excellent to know.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
01-03-2012, 03:34 AM
$925,000/year should be a good reason to work his buns off and make the Hawks.

That being said, I don't see either McNeil (or Danault, the other prospect signed today) making the Hawks out of camp next fall, though, regardless of how badly they need a second line center right now.

So things haven't changed much...unless someone offers an unbelievable trade-package, McNeil will remain a Raider for the foreseeable future.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
$925,000/year should be a good reason to work his buns off and make the Hawks.

That being said, I don't see either McNeil (or Danault, the other prospect signed today) making the Hawks out of camp next fall, though, regardless of how badly they need a second line center right now.

So things haven't changed much...unless someone offers an unbelievable trade-package, McNeil will remain a Raider for the foreseeable future.

-Wapitikev

Brandon Saad almost made their roster, but was sent back to the OHL and recently is playing for Team U.S.A. I'm sure the Hawks will give McNeill every opportunity to make the big club. I wouldn't rule out the possibilities.

AAAScout
01-03-2012, 05:42 PM
I do think McNeill will be back, but you have to remember signing an entry level contract with a team like Chicago who is forced up against the wall for the next few years with salary cap issues could mean players like Mark would stick in the NHL just for cap reasons.

Wapitikev
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Brandon Saad almost made their roster, but was sent back to the OHL and recently is playing for Team U.S.A. I'm sure the Hawks will give McNeill every opportunity to make the big club. I wouldn't rule out the possibilities.

Ok, but Saad is a year older than McNeil, he was one of the final cuts after camp (played 2 games into the season) and is ahead of McNeil on the depth chart.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Mark can make the Black Hawks next fall. I'm just saying that the likelihood of him playing more than 9 games for them next fall is very slim.

-Wapitikev

lordstanley
01-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Ok, but Saad is a year older than McNeil, he was one of the final cuts after camp (played 2 games into the season) and is ahead of McNeil on the depth chart.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that Mark can make the Black Hawks next fall. I'm just saying that the likelihood of him playing more than 9 games for them next fall is very slim.

-Wapitikev

McNeil is overated Todd Fiddler was way better lol k just kidding :D

therat
01-03-2012, 07:28 PM

-Wapitikev

Technically Saad is only 4 months older than McNeill - he's a late '92, and was drafted last May, same as McNiell .... but because Saad is a late '92 he can play in the A next year.

Wapitikev
01-03-2012, 08:40 PM
McNeil is overated Todd Fiddler was way better lol k just kidding :D

Heh.

Good one.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
01-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I do think McNeill will be back, but you have to remember signing an entry level contract with a team like Chicago who is forced up against the wall for the next few years with salary cap issues...

I was doing some thinking about this.

Chicago has to sign McNeil and Danault by June 2013 to avoid them going back into the draft as a 20-year old. (Saad is already signed last October)

But the end of the current CBA in the NHL is this April.

The new CBA may see the minimum salary on entry level contracts go up. At the same time, the salary cap may not be able to go up as fast as in past years.

As you say, the Hawks will be hard pressed to keep veteran stars in the next few years due to the salary cap.

It makes good economic sense to lock up McNeil and Danault at the current entry level contract price, now, instead of a larger one, after the new CBA is signed.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Chicago has to sign McNeil and Danault by June 2013 to avoid them going back into the draft as a 20-year old. (Saad is already signed last October)

The new CBA may see the minimum salary on entry level contracts go up. At the same time, the salary cap may not be able to go up as fast as in past years.

As you say, the Hawks will be hard pressed to keep veteran stars in the next few years due to the salary cap.

It makes good economic sense to lock up McNeil and Danault at the current entry level contract price, now, instead of a larger one, after the new CBA is signed.

-Wapitikev

ITS A GAMBLE

Dwight Schrute
01-04-2012, 04:32 PM

-Wapitikev

ITS A GAMBLE
IF YOU LOOK BACK TO THE Last lockout philly didnt sign mike richards or jeff carter till after the new cba. it paid off as it lowered their cap hit. but they risked losing the two.

Wapitikev
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Congratulations, Logan McVeigh, on your first Raiders goal in your first Raiders game!

-Wapitikev

Sttop
01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Bruno better pick up his phone and start listening to offers. He needs to sell and build around Winthers age group.

Rkniel
01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
McNeill should be proud of the fact that the entry level contrast means he will be in the NHL or the AHL for Chicago next year. Yes he can as a 19 year old!
And congrats on reaching 150 points as a Raider.

Its a shame the Raiders did not build around him like the thought they would when they took him in the bantam draft 5th overall.

Not sure why fans of the Raiders are sometimes knocking this Kid, we should be looking at asking the Club what the heck are they doing to improve the Hockey Team. Yes I know that real fans would not be knocking good players like McNeill

Good thing we can talk about his success in the NHL in a few years and be proud of the fact he was a Raider.

Rkniel
01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
McNeill should be proud of the fact that the entry level contrast means he will be in the NHL or the AHL for Chicago next year. Yes he can as a 19 year old!

Its a shame the Raiders did not build around him like the thought they would when they took him in the bantam draft 5th overall.

Not sure why fans of the Raiders are sometimes knocking this Kid, we should be looking at asking the Club what the heck are they doing to improve the Hockey Team. Yes I know that real fans would not be knocking good players like McNeill

Good thing we can talk about his success in the NHL in a few years and be proud of the fact he was a Raider.

Wildeyes
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
McNeill as a 19 yr old either stays with the Hawks or is returned to the Dub as the chl/nhl agreement

AAAScout
01-19-2012, 06:07 PM

No he Can't stay in the AHL he must play NHL or be returned to the WHL.....either way that doesn't matter right now, and yes I am sure he is very happy he signed a contract!! but the work just begins there, not ends there, he must work even harder now to get to the NHL and then to stay there.