PDA

View Full Version : Royals to share SOFA w/Grizz?

pontcanna
01-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Ah, it's nice to see downtown clawing a few sports back from the West Shore...first Highlanders, now maybe Grizz. I'm all for more choices and I'm sure RG are looking at all the gaps in the WHL schedule and thinking that opening up for 1,000 or so fans on "Dub Free weekends" could be worth doing. I'd certainly go to a few, especially if that $5 Monday ticket window stays open :)

Grizzlies may play some games downtown

BY MARIO ANNICCHIARICO, TIMESCOLONIST.COM JANUARY 3, 2012 11:06 PM

Len Barrie is hoping to play at least a few games of the 2012-13 B.C. Hockey League season in Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

The plan is on what he called the “backburner” for now, but the majority owner and head coach of the Victoria Grizzlies has had discussions with Dave Dakers, president of RG Sports & Entertainment and the Victoria Royals, regarding moving into the Blanshard Street facility.

“There have been discussions for some period of time regarding whether they could move down permanently or just for a couple of games,” Dakers confirmed. “We’ve had those discussions and the door is open to further discussions.

“But is there anything further to, ‘Hey, maybe it’s a good idea discussions?’ No.

“It’s a possibility, but I don’t think it’s anybody’s priority,” added Dakers. “I don’t want to speak for Len, but I haven’t talked to Len about it in months now.”

But that doesn’t mean it won’t happen, and it could open the door for doubleheader situations where the Grizzlies — who call Bear Mountain Arena in Colwood home — play in the late afternoon, followed by a Royals game at night.

“You have to look at the model and say that it has some potential,” said Dakers. “You look at Calgary and Edmonton — granted it’s not totally the same. They have the WHL and NHL teams in the same rink.

“I think if the two parties here have respect for each other’s business and understand that it changes the dynamics, obviously, that it could work.

“It’s a little trickier at that level, but in the same breath I think that there are some synergies there that make it entertaining and a benefit, again, to the patrons and fans of both the Royals and Grizzlies.”

Barrie wasn’t quite as outspoken as Dakers, but admitted to the discussion.

“I think we would look at it for next year, maybe move some games on a Saturday afternoon and try some different things,” he said. “It would be the odd game, where we would work together and re-brand it. But we have to play together.”

“I think it will eventually evolve. I think we’ll look at something. Anything that will improve hockey in the region is good for the fans, but right now we have to start playing better.”