PDA

View Full Version : Jesse PAULS pulls the pin

pontcanna
01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Jesse Pauls Retires

The Victoria Royals issued this press release concerning Defenseman Jesse Pauls.

The Victoria Royals announce today that defenceman Jesse Pauls has retired from hockey. The Chilliwack, BC native informed Royals’ General Manager and Head Coach Marc Habscheid on Wednesday morning of his decision.

“I am very disappointed that I have to retire from hockey at this point in my career,” Pauls said. “I want to thank my family, the Victoria Royals and the Western Hockey League for the support they have shown me and for allowing me the opportunity to compete at this level.”

The Chilliwack, BC native began his WHL career with the Chilliwack Bruins in 2009, recording five assists in 13 games played during his rookie season. He went on to play 21 games for the Bruins during the 2010-2011 season, where he registered 14 points (1G+13A) in 21 games played. This season as a member of the Royals, Pauls had 12 points (3G+9A) in 26 games.

With Keegan Kanzig returning from the U-17's it'll give the Royals 6 rearguards. Kanzig had two penalty minutes in five games played and Pacific finished fifth overall.

rednex50
01-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I guess life on the island didn't agree with him.

He overcame a very serious broken leg last season just to come back. Against all odds, he almost made it back for the playoffs - he was pretty much day to day when the playoffs ended last season. Many thought that with teh severity of his broken leg, it was career ending. Tough kid.

Not sure if this is due to injury, a requested trade and not getting anywhere or family related.

He was a great kid, one that the fans in Chilliwack loves to cheer for and was behind in his rehab in his attempt to get back out there last season and finish what he started.

I wish you all the best Jesse.

pontcanna
01-05-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm all for giving teenagers a modicum of privacy as far as their off-ice lives go, but I'd really like to know the full story of what's going on behind the scenes with the team. Because up on centre stage the product is very poor right now.

BruinsFan19
01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Well the rumours in Chilliwack were that the father son combo weren't well received. Perhaps it's more of the same in Victoria.

the Royal Flush
01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
the only problem with the team is that we NEED...3 Dmen and 1 Goalie...our back end is very very weak and our goaltending is tier 2 calibre...we score enough but cannot keep the puck outta our net...that and the fact that we are terrible breaking out of our zone...

rednex50
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Obviously losing Stahl, and moving Topping hurt huge.

pontcanna
01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
People following the Royals know all about father/son "combos" all right.

pontcanna
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
From Marlon Martens' Blog:

Jesse Pauls on Retirement

Royals defenseman Jesse Pauls announced his retirement from hockey yesterday. The 19 year old had 12 points (3G+9A) in 26 games this season.

I spoke with Jesse about his decision to hang up the skates.

With a plate and nine screws in his leg after breaking both bones last year he’s been playing with ‘chronic pain’ as he put it, ‘and have decided to look after my health’.

“It’s affected my game and haven’t been able to play up to my potential…it sucks knowing you’ve got more and can’t do it”, Pauls went on to say.

rednex50
01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I kinda figured that it might have been the plates and pins.

He was a great kid. Huge guts. Not the biggest guy out there, and the rehab he had to endure...

Wish him the best

CdnSailor
01-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Published: January 09, 2012 4:00 PM
Updated: January 10, 2012 1:27 PM

Story by Eric Welsh - Chilliwack Progress

When 19-year-old Victoria Royals defenceman Jesse Pauls "retired" from hockey last week it raised questions about why.

The Royals issued a news release on behalf of the Chilliwack native on Jan. 4, in which Pauls called it quits. He informed Royals general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid​ of his decision that morning.

The team initially was mum on the matter, but during a telephone interview with the Progress, Pauls went into more detail.

"I've had problems with the injury I had last year,” he said, referring to a broken leg suffered early last season while playing for the Chilliwack Bruins​. “I had surgery on it, but it never fully recovered. I've had chronic pain and swelling and I've thought about retiring quite a bit. There's lots of things in my game, mostly my skating speed and strength, that's not where it was. But I didn't want to quit until I came back.”

Pauls spent most of last season re-habbing the injury, suffered in a game against the Tri-City Americans.

Habscheid was quick to compliment Pauls on the work he was putting into the process, and at the time Pauls was upbeat and hopeful about his hockey future.

It was lots of adversity and a lot more work than I thought it would be,” Pauls said. “A broken leg, I didn't think it'd be tough at all. But all the time and the re-learning how to skate was all character-revealing and it was a big thing for me personally to get back.”

This season, Pauls had 12 points (including three goals) in 26 games.

His last game was a 9-4 home ice loss to the visiting Calgary Hitmen on Jan. 3

Marc (Habscheid) understood the situation and could kind of see that I wasn't the same player I was before,” Pauls said.

The next step for Pauls is to get his leg fixed so that, hopefully, it doesn't limit him for the rest of his life.

I don't think it should hold me back, but it's hard to say now because right now there's a lot of stuff that's tough to do,” he explained. “It swells up real big. I can't run or do a lot of things I'd like to do. It's just not a good way to live my life.”

Pauls hopes to get surgery and have the plate and pins removed from his leg. That will result in another lengthy rehab, one he hopes has a happier ending.

Hockey's done for now, and it's a tough decision obviously,” he said. “Long term, I think I'd like to get into an engineering program and become a petroleum engineer. Hockey's been my life since forever, but life goes on.”