PDA

View Full Version : Saskatoon Blades - Deadline

Western Elite
01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Look for the Saskatoon Blades to be very quiet at the deadline this year. That is not to say they won't do anything but in regards to a major splash, I don't see it happening. Many posters are wanting the Ryan Murray's, Mark McNeill's or other top 18 yr olds coming in this year - to be 19 next year. In theory, that is the correct thinking but many of the teams who have these players feel that they will be key cogs for them next year and aren't willing to part with the player(s). In the case of Ryan Murray, Everett Silvertip GM Doug Soetart has expressed that it would take a Brayden Schenn type of deal to acquire him. Soetart also went as far to say that they want Murray drafted in to the NHL as a Silvertip. Chances are also that Murray could turn pro as early as next year as a 19 year old. Many pundits around the league feel he could've played in the NHL this year if it wasn't for a late birtday - pushing his draft year back. As for Mark McNeill - The Raiders have very quietly built a team who they feel can be a contender next season and they plan on having Mark McNeill as a key cog for that squad. Some have suggested that McNeill could turn pro with the Blackhawks of the NHL next year, I don't think he will though. Prince Albert will hold on to this player. Another player who some thought the Blades could perhaps be after is Kevin Sundher but apparently they aren't one of the 10 WHL teams who have expressed interest. That is likely because Sundher is a signed player by Buffalo and chances are that he will turn pro in the Buffalo Sabres organization next season.

Heading in to next season, it is apparent that the top four defenseman are likely to be Siemens, Thrower, Dietz, Pufahl. Connor Cox as a 20 year old would have to be considered borderline at this point and may be dealt to a contending team at the deadline this year. I also don't see Kyle Schmidt or Tommy Stipancik as part of the squad. That basically leaves openings for 2-3 dmen to be added. Before the emergence of Thrower, I thought one thing they needed was a puck moving PP type defenseman. Now I think they could still use that but acquiring a player such as Jesse Forsberg from Prince George could be an option. He would be steady top 4 dman who can punish players, provide leadership and add a local element.

Defenseman who the Blades may Target this year:
Daniel Johnson - Lethbridge - 19 yr old
Landon Oslanski - Lethbridge - 19 yr old
Jesse Forsberg - Prince George - 18 yr old

Forwards who the Blades may Target this year:
Ryan Harrison - Everett - 19 yr old
Spencer Main - Kelowna - 19 yr old
Shane McColgan - Kelowna - 18 yr old
Graham Hood - Lethbridge - 19 yr old
Greg Fraser - PG - 19 yr old
Colin Jacobs - Seattle - 18 yr old
Luke Lockhart - Seattle - 19 yr old

So there are a few players. Feel free to add.

wango tango
01-05-2012, 04:02 PM
could see saskatoon making some changes to add depth for next season, and adding more picks. would be surprised if anything big happened with the blades. we'll see once world juniors are done today.

lostsheep
01-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I can see waiting til next year to really do any big trade, if at all. If there are players who Lorne feels will not be here next year, he should be open to all possibilities whenever they come up. Which I'm sure he is. To make a big splash this year for a Murray or McNeil might be premature, as they could go pro then we get left with nothing. Time will tell but I'm not expecting anything huge Thats for sure.

dagley
01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Getting McColgan from Kelowna isn't going to happen. They are looking to build their team for a run in the next two seasons.

Sttop
01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I hope Mcneill moves before the deadline. I think that the best hope for the Raiders is built around our 17 year olds. And I wouldnt hate to see him go to either Brandon or Stoon. Brandon has imo higher end prospects but Stoon host the Mem cup which would be great for Mark.

Nook
01-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Could Josh Nicholls be on the move? One would have to wonder if the Leafs will return him to the WHL as a 20 year old or let him develop in the AHL.

If the Blades get any indication from the Leafs that he may stick in the AHL, Molleken should deal Josh off to a contending team like Tri Cities or Moose Jaw for someone who can contribute next season.

SectionNDeserter
01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
If the Blades get any indication from the Leafs that he may stick in the AHL, Molleken should deal Josh off to a contending team like Tri Cities or Moose Jaw for someone who can contribute next season.I seriously doubt that any NHL team can make a guarantee like this one way or another. If they told him he wasn't playing in the AHL next season, and that he was going back to the WHL, why even bother going to training camp? :confused:

Nook
01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
With Brandon, Moose Jaw, Regina and even P.A. making deals, will Saskatoon go with what they have or make a trade or two in the next couple of hours?

Molleken will never admit this, but I'm thinkin' that the Blades are already in next year country... which isn't to say they're a bad team, but hosting a Memorial Cup always puts you in the unique situation of trying to build for next year when you already have a team that could do some damage in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some minor moves, but I don't think anything major is coming down the pipe... which is probably for the best for 2013.

This time next year the Blades will have to be a major player, though.

Backhand
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I'll be stunned if the Blades do not make a trade this year (to improve for a Mem Cup).

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Im hearign reports that they are done nothing will happen

all this banter
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
i agree with your post, but what do we have to offer in return to get a good player(s) nothing...i don't see this team making the playoffs after the trades i have seen if we did be kicked out 4 straight in the 1st round...as for next year we have no talent to sustain a drive to the cup would rather us win it all and head into the cup then buy our way in...that takes talent hard work and skill...

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I still say we make the playoffs but we wont finnish any higher than 6th seed red deer is 7 points behind us and there in 9th we have a better team than them so we'll make the playoffs don't think we'll go far though

Trav
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Hearing reports that their done? Hmm hard to be done when they haven't done anything today.

I don't feel to confident in this team being a contender next year. Molleken will have to make moves in the off season and next year to make the Blades a contender.

Their going to need scoring they can't expect Stransky and Collins to do all the scoring or Nicholls if he's back. Guys like Graham and Stockl shouldn't have to be relied on to score 20-30 goals. They should go with three 20's up front next year.

Defense should be good with Thrower, Siemens, Dietz, Pufahl but they will need three new guys, hopefully Lernout, Pichorsky and a veteran d-man that's not 20.

Goaltending is the only position that doesn't need to be improved since Makarov and Moodie will be back.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Next year i would like to see guys like Rattie Murray and Mccolgan in a Blades uniform and it all depends weather there back or not and there teams are rebuilding

Sttop
01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Next year i would like to see guys like Rattie Murray and Mccolgan in a Blades uniform and it all depends weather there back or not and there teams are rebuilding

Im not trolling please dont take it as that. I was wondering what you guys think your going to give up for
a) Rattie
b) Murray
c)Mccolgan

I think the Blades probably need to add 3 peices like this and possibly another good 2 way forward like a Lowry to make a run, and was just wondering if the Blades have the prospects and picks to make it happen

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Im not trolling please dont take it as that. I was wondering what you guys think your going to give up for
a) Rattie
b) Murray
c)Mccolgan

I think the Blades probably need to add 3 peices like this and possibly another good 2 way forward like a Lowry to make a run, and was just wondering if the Blades have the prospects and picks to make it happen

i didn't say those guys for this season i mean for next years deadline lol i woudl really liek a adam lowry though awesome 2 way forward

Sttop
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
no i know you meant next year. it would be silly to add them this year.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 03:15 PM
no i know you meant next year. it would be silly to add them this year.

I like your Adam Lowry thought i would add him this year even though he is hurt to have a great 2 way guy like that for this season and next would be huge

Sttop
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I like your Adam Lowry thought i would add him this year even though he is hurt to have a great 2 way guy like that for this season and next would be huge

now what do you think the price would be ? At minimum Olsen and a 2nd?

Nook
01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I think the Blades will be fine next year... Molleken will work hard to try and get what he needs to be a contender next season. The only drawback is that it will probably severely damage the teams in 2014 and beyond because you're going to have to give up a lot of guys/picks that may be impact players beyond next season. So is the risk of building a contender, I suppose.

Under Molleken, the Blades have been pretty good at drafting and developing solid players, which should help when it's time to wheel and deal to get experience.

I'm not really concerned at the lack of action this season.

Toswammi
01-10-2012, 03:29 PM
now what do you think the price would be ? At minimum Olsen and a 2nd?

For Lowry? The guy is a PPG player with a broken hand. I think you would have to offer a lot more to get a 18yr old that is also SC best player (broken hand and all).

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
For Lowry? The guy is a PPG player with a broken hand. I think you would have to offer a lot more to get a 18yr old that is also SC best player (broken hand and all).

My bad i thought he was 19 that makes things alot different had been 19 i would say Yeah Olsen and a couple picks

GoldenBoy
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM

You maybe have enough assests to get one of those guys based on the prices of players this year. Sorry one of those guys won't win you a championship.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Well it looks like thats it for the Blades i wonder if Lorne could be considered as a trade deadline loser this year just like last year lol oh well i guess we will have team chemistry if that means anything

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I guess Lorne thinks Nicholls will return and that will be huge still not sold on collins and cox as overagers but im sure that may be adjusted

fatshad
01-10-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree , nothing against Collins and Cox they are fine young men , but they cannot be two of your overagers going into a:confused::o memorial cup !!

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Honestly i don't mind Cox he leads us in plus minus and his game really came around i still want a upgrade though as for Collins the kid has all the speed in the world but lacks major finnish and can't get dirty around the net

Trav
01-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Lol Cox has come around? I guess if u call giving up the puck a few times a game coming around then I guess he is. Pufahl is a better dman and he's 18

lostsheep
01-10-2012, 09:14 PM
The lack of deals done this year, will lead to some bigger harder houses next year. I'm not sure what it's going to take to gain the holy grail of the CHL but I hope Lorne has a clear vision. Our team will. E under. Microscope from here on. Best of Luck to all those are involved

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Lol Cox has come around? I guess if u call giving up the puck a few times a game coming around then I guess he is. Pufahl is a better dman and he's 18

guess it helps to go to games eh Trav lol

WHLFANMAN
01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Well it looks like thats it for the Blades i wonder if Lorne could be considered as a trade deadline loser this year just like last year lol oh well i guess we will have team chemistry if that means anything

Last year you got the hottest player in the legue possibly "World" at the time. But I don't think you would argue "Team Chemistry" went out the window! We can never under estimate it!:cool:

The Wheatiemaniac
01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Has Moodie gone back to midget yet? Or is he sticking around for a while longer because of Makarov's injury?

Trav
01-11-2012, 02:34 AM
Has Moodie gone back to midget yet? Or is he sticking around for a while longer because of Makarov's injury?

He's sticking around for awhile yet, until Makarov is ready to go again

Nook
01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I've been impressed with Moodie's play while he's been up here. He'll definitely push Todd in training camp next year.

Trav
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I've been impressed with Moodie's play while he's been up here. He'll definitely push Todd in training camp next year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Todd is gone at the end of the year.

mcniellfan_9
02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Look for the Saskatoon Blades to be very quiet at the deadline this year. That is not to say they won't do anything but in regards to a major splash, I don't see it happening. Many posters are wanting the Ryan Murray's, Mark McNeill's or other top 18 yr olds coming in this year - to be 19 next year. In theory, that is the correct thinking but many of the teams who have these players feel that they will be key cogs for them next year and aren't willing to part with the player(s). In the case of Ryan Murray, Everett Silvertip GM Doug Soetart has expressed that it would take a Brayden Schenn type of deal to acquire him. Soetart also went as far to say that they want Murray drafted in to the NHL as a Silvertip. Chances are also that Murray could turn pro as early as next year as a 19 year old. Many pundits around the league feel he could've played in the NHL this year if it wasn't for a late birtday - pushing his draft year back. As for Mark McNeill - The Raiders have very quietly built a team who they feel can be a contender next season and they plan on having Mark McNeill as a key cog for that squad. Some have suggested that McNeill could turn pro with the Blackhawks of the NHL next year, I don't think he will though. Prince Albert will hold on to this player. Another player who some thought the Blades could perhaps be after is Kevin Sundher but apparently they aren't one of the 10 WHL teams who have expressed interest. That is likely because Sundher is a signed player by Buffalo and chances are that he will turn pro in the Buffalo Sabres organization next season.

Heading in to next season, it is apparent that the top four defenseman are likely to be Siemens, Thrower, Dietz, Pufahl. Connor Cox as a 20 year old would have to be considered borderline at this point and may be dealt to a contending team at the deadline this year. I also don't see Kyle Schmidt or Tommy Stipancik as part of the squad. That basically leaves openings for 2-3 dmen to be added. Before the emergence of Thrower, I thought one thing they needed was a puck moving PP type defenseman. Now I think they could still use that but acquiring a player such as Jesse Forsberg from Prince George could be an option. He would be steady top 4 dman who can punish players, provide leadership and add a local element.

Defenseman who the Blades may Target this year:
Daniel Johnson - Lethbridge - 19 yr old
Landon Oslanski - Lethbridge - 19 yr old
Jesse Forsberg - Prince George - 18 yr old

Forwards who the Blades may Target this year:
Ryan Harrison - Everett - 19 yr old
Spencer Main - Kelowna - 19 yr old
Shane McColgan - Kelowna - 18 yr old
Graham Hood - Lethbridge - 19 yr old
Greg Fraser - PG - 19 yr old
Colin Jacobs - Seattle - 18 yr old
Luke Lockhart - Seattle - 19 yr old

So there are a few players. Feel free to add.

Mark will forsure be playing next year for the Blackhawks... regardless if it is on their farm-team or not. He is such a great player... physical, tough, big, and a cornicopia of power!

SectionNDeserter
02-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Mark will forsure be playing next year for the Blackhawks... regardless if it is on their farm-team or not.He is either on the Blackhawk's roster or in the WHL next season, he can't play in the Hawk's farm system next season.

lordstanley
02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow we cranked the tribe tonight lol i would hope they have our respect now :D things are getting tight wooooooooooo

JMoney1988
02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
And if we beat mh and pa beats mj, highly unlikely, we will not only be in 3rd, but be one point behind mj........

lordstanley
02-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Gotta love the underdog roll we never made any deadline deal deals lol but we are still a force and teams like MJ better watch out

Nook
02-04-2012, 10:18 AM
The Blades didn't need to make any deals. I think Molleken knew that the team he had at the deadline was a solid team and probably couldn't justify giving anyone up for the wild prices that were out there for available players.

Two things that influenced Molleken at the deadline had to have been the cost of the Schenn deal last season and the fact they're hosting a memorial cup next season.

But honestly, since so much of the team is likely returning next season, I'm not entirely sure they need to add a whole heck of a lot for 2013... They'll probably add a scorer or two though.

lordstanley
02-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Just wondering why mjw22 is so quiet after last night i thought he would have some thoughts after that 1 oh well :rolleyes:

mjw22
02-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Gotta love the underdog roll we never made any deadline deal deals lol but we are still a force and teams like MJ better watch out

didn't learn from last year eh don't get too cocky it's 1 win. :)

lordstanley
02-04-2012, 11:13 AM
didn't learn from last year eh don't get too cocky it's 1 win. :)

Just a little fun trash talk no biggie and yeah i did learn from last year the playoffs are a whole different game :D

mjw22
02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Just a little fun trash talk no biggie and yeah i did learn from last year the playoffs are a whole different game :D

you guys deserved the win . Our so called leaders didn't show up again. :)