PDA

View Full Version : No time for nervous players

pontcanna
01-05-2012, 08:20 PM
No time for nervous players
Mario Annicchiarico

January 5, 2012 6:08 pm

With the trade deadline looming for both the Western Hockey League and B.C. Hockey League, this is no time for a nervous player.

Tuesday marks the finalization of rosters in both junior leagues and rumours continue to run rampant, especially regarding one Kevin Sundher, who is expected to be moved in favour of a prospect and a draft pick.

The Victoria Royals’ leading scorer would make a key addition for a contending WHL team and the asset could help the locals build for the future.

It would be awful to see Sundher – by far the most consistent member of the Royals this season – go. But such is the world of junior hockey where teams load or unload at this most difficult time.

I wrote two days ago that upwards of nine teams were likely in the hunt for Sundher, the Buffalo Sabres’ third-round pick, who just signed a pro contract. Well, it looks like you can scratch Vancouver and Edmonton from that list.

The Oil Kings on Thursday added Henrik Samuelsson (yes, the son of former NHLer Ulf Samuelsson) to their list of impressive players. The American-born forward was playing for Modo in Sweden and is expected to join Edmonton next week.

Vancouver, sources say, will not make a play for Sundher, who hails from Surrey.

What will be interesting is will a WHL club take a chance on Royals’ captain Hayden Rintoul? It’s a tricky situation in that the Victoria captain is a 20-year-old and club’s are said to be looking for over-age forwards as opposed to defencemen. Each team can only carry three over-agers.

“I haven’t even thought about it at all, to be honest with you. I’m just trying to work hard in practice and help this team out,” Rintoul said following Tuesday’s 9-4 loss to Calgary. “Obviously I’d like to be here. I love playing here in Victoria. It’s the best place to play in the Dub (WHL).”

Rintoul, who helped the Kootenay Ice to a WHL championship last year, has nine goals (eight on the power play) and 20 assists in 40 games with the Royals.

There is no doubt he could help a club on special teams, but his 5-on-5 play has been lacking. At -20 this season, he and the entire Royals’ blue line, has struggled.

As for the Victoria Grizzlies, a three-game road trip may help team executive decide on which way to go before Tuesday’s trade deadline.

“I think what you’ll see is teams waiting to see what happens this weekend and then you’ll see more phone calls,” said Grizzlies GM and assistant coach Victor Gervais.

Nervous times, indeed.

mjw22
01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
No time for nervous players
Mario Annicchiarico

What will be interesting is will a WHL club take a chance on Royals’ captain Hayden Rintoul? It’s a tricky situation in that the Victoria captain is a 20-year-old and club’s are said to be looking for over-age forwards as opposed to defencemen. Each team can only carry three over-agers.

Warriors may be looking for a veteran d man with play offs exp . The price for Rintoul may not be that high as a 20 year old .

rednex50
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Truly am surprised that Soudek and Rintoul wasn't moved, for the same reason Sundher was...because they are not coming back, and I know several teams would have been interested in Rintoul for his leadership, playoff experience and lets on forget on ice skill.

I don't think the trade movement that the Royals did will do much to "turn the ship" for this season, nor will it set them up to better position themselves for next season.

For next season, they have Crooks, Forsyth, Stahl (if he can play) Habby Jr. and Hamilton as all potential returning O/A's. Unless Crooks' signs a pro deal, he's a lock. Leaving the other 2 spots to be filled by maybe a guy that Carolina keeps here for one season because of this season being lost (if he isn't forced to retire), a 3rd/4th line energy guy, an up and down D-man that everyone is hard on because he is the coaches son, and the "promised saviour" between the pipes that hasn't bailed the young inexperienced D out as much as they had hoped. So, all 5 guys could and should be vying for those 3 spots...so 2 guys will lose out and either need to step back to Jr. A or be dealt/waived to another WHL Club.

IMHO, as a guy who was here for the first 5 seasons, and peeking in on the 6th of franchise history, I don't see much improvement next season. They are a more "balanced offense" now without that one true superstar (I just wonder if Sundher will still be points leader for season when its all said and done), but now your entire top 3 have a combined 109 points and -27 (with Sundher, that was 147 pts and a -16...huge difference)

Maybe its just me, looking for closure on something I have lived and breathed for over the 5 seasons here...maybe if all the kids/guys I knew and cheered for where all gone, I could begin to stop calling them MY team, and they would become just another WHL club in my mind (like the Giants or Blazers or Blades). But that one deal, isn't the answer to making the Royals a serious playoff threat next season. I know Victoria likely would like to make the playoffs their first season, but by not blowing it up, it hurt the Royals going forward. They will be a 6-9th place team again next season.

IR_Hockey
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
They will be a 6-9th place team again next season.
That seems to be the story of the franchise going back to Chilliwack. I agree with some of what you, mostly surrounding the O/A's who may or may not be returning. I guess we will never know what sort of offers were received for Soudek and Rintoul, but if the Royals do make the playoffs it would be a boost to the fan base. This team is new, and making the playoffs would keep the casual fans involved. I agree that missing the playoffs would probably be a better situation, but I actually thing the outlook for next season is more positive than you think. Our young defense gets will mature and get better, especially with the arrival of Joe Hicketts. The offence will get better as we have seen great growth from guys like Ben Walker, and Logan Nelson. It will be interesting to see how Conroy reacts to getting more ice-time who offensive players and maybe Steven Hodges will show up on a consistent basis. We will also have the injection of more youth with Justin Spagrud. Coleman Vollrath should give us a quality backup and maybe with a little less pressure of Hamilton, his game will go to another level. Thats just my two cents.

rednex50
01-11-2012, 04:02 PM
I know the Bruins and their fans were really excited to see Vollrath. We had expected big things out of Holowenko (where he seems to be finally hitting his stride in PA), which was the reason Habby had to shop to get Hamilton. It was originally supposed to be a battle between Gamble/Holowenko/Rathjen for this season.

Holo was dealt last season because IMO he was jerked around a bit and he had enough, said some things that certain people didn't appreciate and pushed a deal out of town.

Gamble, IMHO shouldn't have been the back up last season or a potential O/A this season. Last season should have been Gore and Holo, and then they wouldn't have had to deal for Hamilton...and could have looked at a deal for a D-man instead of a G in the offseason.

Last season with Horak, Howse, Sundher, Manning, Einhorn, and Gore was supposed to be the "push" season, but it didn't work out as planned. Didn't perform as expected, too many injuries...even though they did finish 6th in the west (highest position as a franchise) due to injuries to Howse and Manning they didn't have the playoff run they had hoped for. It is going to take the Royals a while to get 3 top forwards, 2 top D and a star G all together again without to buy at the trading deadline. Those were all home grown players.

I don't see next season being close to what the Bruins had last season. Maybe the season after next...just not next season. Moving Rintoul, Hamilton and Soudek could have brought more prospects in to get their feet wet this season, growing pains next season, and 2013-14 back to having a pretty strong team (if everything pans out)

IR_Hockey
01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I just want to clarify, I only thing next season is promising because I think it will be a better season than the one currently. Their is no way we can be this bad defensively two seasons in a row.

It's nice to get a perspective from someone who followed the team very closely in Chilliwack. I agree it may be a while until we are ready for a run, but hopefully next year will have a few less losing streaks and a few more winning streaks.

rednex50
01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Injury to Stahl didn't help any. Neither the continued pain and retirement Pauls had to deal with. 2 big holes. Your #2 and #3 D-man. Tough to replace at a moments notice.

And when Hamilton hasn't been the "bail out" tender as expected, team Goals Against certainly suffered