PDA

View Full Version : Broncos AGM tonite.

Willis on the Welfare
06-27-2005, 02:40 PM
The Broncos annual general meeting is tonite. If the rumblings I've heard are true this won't be a happy meeting.

I am not fit to say more, other than they better sell a whole lot of beer next year.

Scout
06-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Was someone at the meeting last night and could they give a recap as to what happened?

Scout

CHtoo
06-28-2005, 10:30 AM
According to "Swiftcurrentonline.com" the team lost over $230,000 last year. They also said the Broncos have the lowest priced tickets in the WHL.

bronconeer
06-28-2005, 10:59 AM
They had to pay for Smith, McEwen and Glynn last year.

Willis on the Welfare
06-28-2005, 11:35 AM
"The shortfall in excess of 200,000 is a wakeup call to all of us who truly care about the Broncos and their viability."

"We are at the zero hour to respond."

Joe Arling, lastnight at the AGM.

The club lost more than $230,000 last year. Alarm bells are ringing.

ointhecreek
06-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Now, now, Willis, you're going to start the Edmonton rumours again. ;)

Jovorock
06-28-2005, 03:14 PM
In a comunity owned team situation, how does the Bronco's recover from losing 230K ? Does the city of Swift Current bail them out, or do they just fund raise and run with a defisat in the bank account? Can't see a bank acutally helping someone out?

Willis on the Welfare
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
In a comunity owned team situation, how does the Bronco's recover from losing 230K ? Does the city of Swift Current bail them out, or do they just fund raise and run with a defisat in the bank account? Can't see a bank acutally helping someone out?

I'm not entirely in the know, but I understand the Broncos have a bank account with several hundred-thousand dollars in it. The Broncos should still be on the plus side in their account, but the bleeding needs to stop before they hit the red. They have been losing money for the last few years.

Hey O, I'm not trying to start rumors, just trying alert everyone that this is serious. Something needs to be done, and in a hurry. This isn't about Edmonton, this is about Swift Current. This will either prove that Swift Current can step up and prove itself to be a diamond in the rough, a city that defies the odds. We can be the small fish that swims with the WHL sharks and doesn't get eaten. We can be the minnow that kicks Jaws in the teeth, tell's him to **** off and that we're not going anywhere.

With the exception of that Chatelaine article where Swift was named a top ten in Canada, the only time our city has had attention on a national level has been because of the Broncos. Bus crash, mem cup, Joe Sakic, this hockey team has given Swift Current our identity. We need to do what we can to protect that identity.

Or we can lose part of our identity and be another just another Yorkton/Battleford/Weyburn, Saskatchewan city with a few grain terminals and a Walmart.

There is more than just a hockey team at stake.

Jovorock
06-28-2005, 04:01 PM
We need to do what we can to protect that identity.

Or we can lose part of our identity and be another just another Yorkton/Battleford/Weyburn, Saskatchewan city with a few grain terminals and a Walmart.

That's a very good point, I hope the community steps up to the plate and hockey stays in Swift for ever.

Scout
06-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I think the people of Swift Current are starting to take the team for granted. Take them for granted and they will be gone, community owned or not. We have been good for so long that we seem to have alot of bandwagoners. The last 2-3 years have been tough. Knocked out in the first round the first two years and not making the play-offs last year really hurt the gate receipts.
The education fund is killing us but we have no say in it. The lottery that raised $80,000.00 this past year will help and alot more fund raisers will be needed. It's was a concern last year as crowds dwindled with an average team and i am concerned this year as we are still rebuilding. Curious as to whatever happened to this new group to raise money? I heard they had meetings but that is all i have heard. Flathead, i think you were at the meetings and maybe you can shed light on whats actually going on.
Will this new group be recruiting new members? Dean is trying as hard as he can to help this team and has become very accessible to the fans. He will sit and talk to anyone as will ass't Dave Hunchak. What else can they do. We will still be rebuilding next year and i would hate to see the crowds drop more. Hate to see Brad go as he was well known in the business community and well respected. Two new guys coming to town that no one knows will be alot easier to say no thanks when these new guys come knocking at your door looking for money than it is for a guy like Brad who most knew. But hey he is bettering himself and i can't blame him for that. Loyalty you mentioned i dangled a carrot and then pulled who was quitting when i was asked to keep it off the forum. Well it was Brad who was resigning and it has now been released.
I have heard from some clubs of a buddy system. This is where if you are a season ticket holder and you bring a new person to buy season tickets who has never had one before then you get a $50.00 break on your ticket. May work as fans may bug their buddies to buy seasons so they get the credit.
I will comment more later when i have time and would love to hear idea's from the other posters on this forum on ways to raise money or get more people to the games.

Scout

Chipper
06-28-2005, 07:05 PM
In Cranbrook last season when the Ice were below the targeted fan base to keep the team in town, many fans and buisness people alike were very concerned about getting the fan base back above the 2800 per game. What the local buisness comunity did is set up a group called the friends of the Ice. They were in charge of getting the season ticket sales up by signing buisiness owners, former Ice alumni and just getting the word out to the public that if we could not get our average up we would lose the team. They did a great job and sold an incremental 500 tickets(est) I think about total 2400 season ticket holders. At the end of the year we had an average of about 3400 fans per game and the threat of the team leaving was over for now. I know that the Ice had a great season last year and that alone generates fans to the game, but they did sell all these tickets when all reports said that the Ice were predicted to be the last place team in the west. You need to have the Buisness comunity backing the team and make sure that they understand the economic benefits of having a WHL franchise in your town.

ointhecreek
06-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Hey O, I'm not trying to start rumors, just trying alert everyone that this is serious. Something needs to be done, and in a hurry. This isn't about Edmonton, this is about Swift Current. This will either prove that Swift Current can step up and prove itself to be a diamond in the rough, a city that defies the odds. We can be the small fish that swims with the WHL sharks and doesn't get eaten. We can be the minnow that kicks Jaws in the teeth, tell's him to **** off and that we're not going anywhere.

With the exception of that Chatelaine article where Swift was named a top ten in Canada, the only time our city has had attention on a national level has been because of the Broncos. Bus crash, mem cup, Joe Sakic, this hockey team has given Swift Current our identity. We need to do what we can to protect that identity.

I was just joking! Thats why the wink.You lose your sense of humour while you were gone?

ointhecreek
06-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Man, whats with all the doom and gloom people! I know this is a serious situation, but come on! Have a little faith in Dean and the people of Swift Current! I do! I'm sure he will clean up the mess that the previous regeme left behind and get things turned around. Have we all forgotten how hard we fought to get the Broncos back from Lethbridge? How we all come together to rebound from the bus crash? That could have destroyed the team alone. Give the powers that be a vote of confidence. We shouldn't need a 50 dollar credit to push our buddies to buy tickets, we should have enough pride and enthusiasm(sp) to do it anyway to liven the rink up. Buy them a beer! The rink can be a fun place to be again, get to work on people. I love the Broncos and supported them even when I moved to the Hat for 13 years. If not for work and time restraints I would be involved all summer. I plan to get involved this winter when I'm not working so much. Everybody needs to do their part.
I BELIEVE! (sorry Ice fans) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

LOYALTY
06-29-2005, 09:40 AM
just doing a little math and not sure if I am 100% correct but I went through the yellow pages to try and figure out how many businesses are in swift (I know there is probably an easier way but whatever) but there is an average of about 11 s/c businesses on each page times that by 289 pages equals 3179. If we could get each business to purchase a minimum of 1 seat how great would that be, and it is a write off for the business isn't it? if each business can't afford one season ticket weather it be filled by themselves an employee of the month/week or given out to patrons then something is really wrong here. and for the rest of us "working" people in swift, if they can't afford a monthly payment plan like what the bronco's have designed which is dirt cheap for good entertainment weather we win or lose, then something is wrong there too, maybe we don't deserve a whl franchise in our city. right now according to the ticket sales there is about 6.7% of swifts population that have purchased season tickets for the upcoming season, and if the truth be told most of those tickets are probably from the rural area and not even people that live within city limits. You know everyone wants great things to happen in this city but we have a GREAT WHL TEAM right in front of us and no one can take the time to support them, WHAT'S WITH THAT!!! :confused:

smackitsakic
06-29-2005, 03:34 PM
I, for one, was a big fan of the Broncos going for it, of the Broncos making a run. I was sick of this first round exit garbage, b/c it was the same thing ever year. While i still would love to see this team do something other than just make the playoffs every year, i had no idea those three games meant this much to this team.
I haven't seen the numbers like so many others have, but is this not getting blown a little bit out of proportion? Yes the team lost $230,000 last year or whatever the figures were, but who was expecting to make a profit? Our team was the, or at least one of the, worst teams in the league. We had to buy out the contracts which alone i'm sure were a large apart of this loss, weren't they? What about this cushion? If i recall correctly, we at one point in time had over a million dollars in the bank account before we bought the new scoreboard/re-finished the locker room etc. How much of that do we have left?