PDA

View Full Version : Trade deadline

jkanes
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM
So. The time has come. Do we go for the playoffs this year or trade some veterans and keep rebuilding? What's your guys' opinions? My gut if we do trade: we trade Sutter, a couple 19 yr old dmen, and maybe an 18 year old forward. But, judging from previous seasons, "Mumbles" hasn't given in so easy and thrown in the towel. I'm thinking we are going to be pretty quiet.... What about you?

Caniac#5
01-08-2012, 09:35 PM
After watching the game in Calgary, and hearing Braes response to questions on the radio I'd be surprised to see him in a home jersey again. Unless we reel of 13 wins in a row this team looks to be a seller.

LethHnds
01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
After watching the game in Calgary, and hearing Braes response to questions on the radio I'd be surprised to see him in a home jersey again. Unless we reel of 13 wins in a row this team looks to be a seller.

Based on Robson's comments it sounds like deals are almost done as he prepares fans for losing rest of the season and the "future" success. I think for Braes and or Sutter we will only get draft picks...if Canes want a decent player or two then Johnston is the most valuable 19 year old....on this site I have seen speculation of Braes / Sutter to Moose Jaw, Sutter to Calgary and Johnston to Vancouver.....

LethHnds
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Press conf called for 1:00pm...

lordstanley
01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Press conf called for 1:00pm...

I hear it's either Bret Hart coming in for a game or rich Preston being fired

lethbridgefan83
01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Anyone know if the press conference will be on the radio or anything?

The Wheatiemaniac
01-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I hear it's either Bret Hart coming in for a game or rich Preston being fired

I just posted something like that on our page. Bret Hart is a popular guy these days.

jkanes
01-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Sounds like Braes is moved to Moose Jaw. Good bye Braes, thanks for your grittyness, determination and heart through the rough times here. Sorry you couldnt become our all-time games played leader. Keep playing the way you do, and hopefully we will see you in the Big league!

lethbridgefan83
01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Rumor is Tanner Eberle and a Draft pick from Moose Jaw for Captain Cam.. Althought I didnt hear the Post Game Show on Sunday Personally I heard more then 1 person state that they would be surprised to see Braes in a Hurricanes Uniform again after what was said/implied..

Shows you how good Chisamore is at lying to the media, or how out of the loop he is on the team.. When asked about the trade deadline after Fridays game he was asked about getting more draft picks when the Canes had so many from previous trades and it was implied they would be going after players, not picks..

My feeling is the Sell Off has begun as of 1PM today..

Steelerfan
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
It's official....WHL has announced Moose Jaw has moved a 1st in 2012 and a 2nd in 2013 to Lethbridge for Captain Cam Braes

lethbridgefan83
01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
He got decent Value for Braes, no doubt there.. But I have to question why we are picking up MORE Draft Picks.. We need some players, this year's playoffs are now out of the question as Braes has done more then his fair share in the recent reasonable offerings of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.. As Ive said time and time again, this is still a business and we cant be making money putting 2000-2500 people in the Seats at a time..

Next to go my feelings are 1) Sutter 2)Johnston... Let the fire sale begin..

2speak4all
01-09-2012, 03:48 PM
He got decent Value for Braes, no doubt there.. But I have to question why we are picking up MORE Draft Picks.. We need some players, this year's playoffs are now out of the question as Braes has done more then his fair share in the recent reasonable offerings of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.. As Ive said time and time again, this is still a business and we cant be making money putting 2000-2500 people in the Seats at a time..

Next to go my feelings are 1) Sutter 2)Johnston... Let the fire sale begin..

IMO Sutter will still go. At least I'm sure he wants to go. Johnston wont go, someone has to be the new Captain

CanesCrazy
01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I would be very happy to see Johnston as the new captain. His "A" can then go to Tot.

Sure wishing Cam all the best.

moon
01-09-2012, 05:16 PM
He got decent Value for Braes, no doubt there.. But I have to question why we are picking up MORE Draft Picks.. We need some players,

If we pick up players then it will become apparent very soon that Preston made a crap deal.

This way he can keep his job longer by pointing out all the wicked draft picks and "prospects" the team has for another 3 years while finishing at the bottom of the league.

LethHnds
01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I wonder if Preston will use these newly acquired picks to get a younger scoring forward.....

LethHnds
01-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I would be very happy to see Johnston as the new captain. His "A" can then go to Tot.

Sure wishing Cam all the best.

I agree Johnston should be the Captain...name him now and lets have some continuity for the remainder of this year going into next season..

Bare Bear
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Talk about mixed emotions. Mr. Lethbridge Hurricane gets traded for a couple of good pics but on the other hand what an opportunity for Cam. I hope the Warriors go a long ways into the playoffs then maybe he can raise enough eyebrows to land a pro contract. With his grit and determination, I have no doubt he will make a good living playing hockey. It won't be long till we are hoisting his name up into the rafters as we just did last weekend for Jamie, Jason and Bart. Good luck Cam.:)

LethHnds
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
What a non event the trade deadline was for the Canes...lose Braes ...don't trade Sutter eventhough he asks for a traded and is now publicly upset...Preston said he couldnt get the right deal for Sutter??? He got zero anything would have been better than zero for a player who does not want to be here....

here for the long run
01-10-2012, 07:34 PM
If Sutter wants a hockey career he will play and play hard for the rest of the season. Just because a kid wants out doesn't mean we should trade him no matter who the coach or gm is. Sets a bad example for our youth. Our youth and future is much more important that a disgruntled 20 year old. One who didn't and wouldn't have developed in a Blades jersey. Mr. Sutter should be thankful he got the opportunity to play for us and got the ice time he did.

Iofthestorm
01-10-2012, 09:09 PM
I appreciate your opinion and actually agree that it could start something with the younger players, a bad example. Here's where I see things differently, in the real world where can you go tell a 14 year old that they must work for you if they want to work. They have a word for that and it is illegal. Maybe, just maybe, the Hurricane's were lucky to have the services of Brody Sutter, Cam Braes and anyone else who asked for a trade. The draft is, in my opinion, against human rights. What if teams had to work to get the best players and the best ran teams had the best players, where would the Hurricane's be at this point. Again, maybe they are lucky to have the players they do. If they had to work to get players, and had performed as they have, they would be in ever worse shape. I get to pick where I work every day and likely so do others that share their opinions on this blog, why shouldn't that apply to Brody. What makes him have any less rights than anyone else. Again, in my opinion, the system is poor, and I am a hockey fan through and through. If this opinion makes you think differently again you are entitled to your opinion. Good for him to have the #alls to ask. In what world, including the NHL, does a person, or coach in this case, get to have three losing seasons, with a terrible record, and get to keep his job. If he wanted to do the right thing for the team... I'll keep that to myself.

2speak4all
01-10-2012, 09:10 PM
If Sutter wants a hockey career he will play and play hard for the rest of the season. Just because a kid wants out doesn't mean we should trade him no matter who the coach or gm is. Sets a bad example for our youth. Our youth and future is much more important that a disgruntled 20 year old. One who didn't and wouldn't have developed in a Blades jersey. Mr. Sutter should be thankful he got the opportunity to play for us and got the ice time he did.

That is a sad attitude to take. He asked for trade no different than Braes did. Everyone is blowing the horn for Braes but he also did ask to be traded if a chance came up. Everyone would like the chance to play in playoffs and go further than hang up the skates in the middle of March. Sutter has more class and will still play his heart out. Personally, I think he deserves the "c' more than Johnston. To give it to Johnston only so he can have it for 2 years means nothing. Braes had it for how many months and then was traded and no one complained about that.

And what makes you think Sask didn't want Sutter.. Just becasue a player is traded doesnt mean he isn't wanted -- or are you saying that BRAES was no longer wanted? Are you saying that anyone that gets traded is not longer WANTED. Trades are made to benefit both teams -- sellers and buyers.

Not all players will develop under certain coaching styles. Moser was released and yet had no problem getting onto another team. (doing quite well also) Ryckman is another who was traded and I wouldn't say it was a bad trade for him or Leth. A change of scenery and a shake up within an organization is part of the business.

Sutter has more class than a lot of you give him credit for.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

here for the long run
01-10-2012, 09:41 PM
First off I have no problem with a player requesting a trade. I do have a problem with that player stating to the media that he requested that trade and is disappointed with not getting that trade. I wish the best for Mr. Sutter, but until his name is Brody Gretzky I don't care if he is disappointed or not. I do care about the future of this team. If people don't like the drafting system don't watch chl or nhl. Go watch ncaa. These kids have a choice to play in the whl or not. I respect a gm that doesn't give into requests to appease players. If Rich didn't get what he got for Cam he wouldn't have traded him. All the Canes fans should look at the big picture. Whether it is Rich or someone else coaching, this team is stacked with youth. Last time I checked the Lethbridge Hurricanes do not have a Memorial Cup Championship. You don't get a cup by giving into 20 year old requests. You do what is best for the future. I am tired of settling for mediocrity. Just because you make the playoffs doesn’t mean you get to the show.

CanesCrazy
01-10-2012, 11:55 PM
First off I have no problem with a player requesting a trade. I do have a problem with that player stating to the media that he requested that trade and is disappointed with not getting that trade. I wish the best for Mr. Sutter, but until his name is Brody Gretzky I don't care if he is disappointed or not. I do care about the future of this team. If people don't like the drafting system don't watch chl or nhl. Go watch ncaa. These kids have a choice to play in the whl or not. I respect a gm that doesn't give into requests to appease players. If Rich didn't get what he got for Cam he wouldn't have traded him. All the Canes fans should look at the big picture. Whether it is Rich or someone else coaching, this team is stacked with youth. Last time I checked the Lethbridge Hurricanes do not have a Memorial Cup Championship. You don't get a cup by giving into 20 year old requests. You do what is best for the future. I am tired of settling for mediocrity. Just because you make the playoffs doesn’t mean you get to the show.

Ditto.

2speak4all
01-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Ditto.

Had it been Braes who didn't get the trade and he went public, it would be oh poor Braes. .I'm tired of different rules for different players. ones some like and ones they don't.

A bunch of hippocrites is all I can say. I don't think Brody asked for a press conference to discuss his trade potential. He was approached and he answered honestly. should he have lied and said yeah I asked for a trade but its ok I'm am still happy that I didn't get one and that I got to stay here.

These kids do say so much that the public wants and expects to hear and yet it isn't really the truth. When one of them steps up and actually speaks his mind, you crucify him. If you ever really listen to an interview, they ask the question leading into what they want the answer to be. If someone steers off the path and speaks different than anyone wants to hear -- you all turn on them, but yet you will be the first one jumping in the standing cheering when they score.

hardly worth even wasting my breath here anymore. Too many oldtimers who have nothing else to complain about, so come here to beat up on some kids just cause their name is Sutter. Had Johnston done that interview you would be here blaming Preston.

Unless you have someone to blame for anything that doesn't go the way you think, never happy.

I'm Outta here !!!

Caniac#5
01-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Sutter sure looked unhappy in the presser and at the building today. Have to agree with Preston. Sure we're sellers, but the team still has to play the rest of the season with some sort of leadership. And he didn't want to make a trade for picks he wanted players. Imo Preston's 4th season with the team will be the make or break year. As seen in the NHL some teams do rally after a big trade that caused adversity. With 9 rooks on the team some players will have to take advantage of the extra ice time. Unfortunately, with no other trades we're gonna have a lot of 20 yr olds to chose from next yr.

CanesCrazy
01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
(Sorry for the typo in your name 2speak4all)

Sutter is not being crucified. Here's the point. You cannot SPECULATE how Braes would have reacted if a trade had not happened nor how the fans would have reacted so drop that point. You can't say there are different rules for different players when the incident you are suggesting never happened to begin with.

Secondly, if Sutter wanted a trade that is fine. I can understand them wanting one more shot at the playoffs. However it is not Preston's responsibility to make that happen at any cost. He must do what is best for not only the player but the team. Getting what he did for Cam was impressive and that offer by MJ ended up setting a high precedent for trades that followed. Brody was not going to be traded in a mediocre deal given the trades that were going on.

The letdown in Sutter after the fact was that he has 9 rookies in a dressing room that look up to him who now know he is "disappointed" to be here. Should he have lied? No, but the full truth is seldom told. How many times have you heard the phrase "lower body injury"? It isn't a lie but it isn't revealing the whole story either.

Sutter was traded here as an underperforming centreman from the Blades. He continued to underperform until his shoulder injury but Preston stuck by him and believed in him even when the fans were questioning why he was taking up space on the roster. An admitted late bloomer Sutter has now become a skilled player. Do not for a minute forget that one of the big reasons he was drafted was because his coach and his teammates believed in him enough to give him the opportunity to be the player he is today. I have no doubt that Sutter will work hard for the rest of this season and do his part. If Preston felt that Sutter was the type to become a poison in the dressing room he would have traded him for a bag of pucks if need be. Preston just proved once again that he believes in this kid and his character. Unfortunately Sutter may have to prove to his teammates that being disappointed in still wearing the same jersey as them doesn't mean he won't give up on them in his disappointment.

2speak4all
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
(Sorry for the typo in your name 2speak4all)

The letdown in Sutter after the fact was that he has 9 rookies in a dressing room that look up to him who now know he is "disappointed" to be here. Should he have lied?

Preston just proved once again that he believes in this kid and his character. Unfortunately Sutter may have to prove to his teammates that being disappointed in still wearing the same jersey as them doesn't mean he won't give up on them in his disappointment.

I watched the interview and saw and felt the disappointment that Sutter had. Wouldn't anyone be disappointed? Given the interview was held mins after trade deadline was over, the disappointment was fresh and real. Had that interview been held the day after, IMO the reaction and comments could have been different. Johnston and Oslanski also asked for trades and they did not materialize and they didn't look overjoyed either when interviewed. But they all carry on.

As grown adults, we have dreams and wishes that have not materialized. Have you ever made an offer on a car or house and tried to negotiate the best deal, just to find it does not materialize. There is disappointment, but when the dust settles, we move on.

Sutter will be no different. He has character and pride and will go after the best he can do to get a contract from the NHL. He is the best man to lead this team into the second half and he deserves the "C".

This year it was largely speculated in the media who was asked for trades -- only due to the fact of the slow start to Canes and their place in standings. Last year many still had hope that there was a playoff chance. -- this year that is gone for sure. It may have been that other players in past years had asked for trades come trade deadline -- just not made public knowledge.

Bare Bear
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Before we all get down on Brodie et al for asking for a trade, lets look at what could have and probably did happen behind the scene. These players are being pulled at from every which way. Beginning with the parents, who all think their boy is pro material, to the coach/GM who is trying to put a winning product on the ice, and even the team mates who are part of the "family". Often the real reason behind it all is the player agent. These agents are often thought of as "gods" by the players and they believe that they always have the players interests at heart. If I were an agent I would be saying to all the players I have under contract to "get out of there and play for a winner" This way the player would have a better chance at a contract, and a better chance at a better and richer contract which in turn puts more jingle in my jeans. Even in the interview that Cam Braes gave, he did say that his agent was advising him to go for the trade. Things you read in the papers, or see on TV are almost never the complete story. Brodie is a very good character kid and will still bleed Hurricane colors. There is no worry there.

grainbear
01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT IS NOT IMPORTANT. THE KEY CONCEPT IS WHETHER IT IS THE CANES , AGENTS OR PLAYERS IT IS ALL RELATED TO MARKETING. THE AGENT DO HAVE A VESTED INTEREST, SO DO THE PLAYERS, AND ALSO THE GM FOR BOTH TEAMS ON A TRADE. WHAT MOVE DUE THEY MAKE THAT MAKES OUR PRODUCT, THE TEAM OR THE PLAYER BETTER IN THE PUBLIC EYE, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT PAYS THE AGENT, PLAYER AND MANAGEMENT OF THE TEAMS THEIR BUCK. REALLY LIKED THE TRADE IN THIS CASE AND IT DOES OR SHOULD SERVE AS MOTIVATION FOR THOSE WHO WERE NOT MOVED TO SHOW HOW GOOD THEY ARE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON. SUTTER CAN ALWAYS GO TO THE FARM TEAM AFTER THE WHL SEASON IS FINISHED FOR THE OTHER TWO PLAYERS MENTIONED , IF THEY EXCELL , THEN THE PROS NOTICE AND THEY CAN GET THE CONTRACT OR INVITATION TO ROOKIE CAMPS NEXT YEAR AT THE PRO LEVEL IF THEY DON'T SHOW THEN THEN CAN POLISH UP THEIR LAWN BOWLING SKILLS FOR THIS SUMMER

canes77
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
If you heard the conversation...the reporter asked him if he had requested a move... Brody was honest and said yes... so because he was honest to the local media and didn't lie, he is getting all this negative attention now?? One small question in the day can sometimes turn into the top headline.

Preston got a great deal for Braes... but the team would have been left with 11 forwards if Brody was dealt for more draft picks... no team was willing to deal a good young player, so Sutter unfortunately couldn't go to a contender. I didn't know this until last week, but most WHL'ers have no trade contracts, that's why we see so many trades taking days/weeks to complete... and most involving only draft picks in return since they're going to the non-contenders.

Since the Canes have only two overagers, does that mean Fyten is expected to play before the end of March??

Big Torro
01-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Since the Canes have only two overagers, does that mean Fyten is expected to play before the end of March??

I read on Greg Drinnan's blog that the Vancouver Giants have invited him out to see their Doctors to whether he would be available to them in March or April and that he had been dropped by the canes.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

2speak4all
01-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Fyten released by Preston in order to get his numbers down to the required amount as of trade deadline. If Fyten would have come back, he would have to release another 20 year old NOW in order to keep that spot open for him and likely he wouldn't have made it anyways. I am betting Fyten asked to be released so he could get picked up by a team that has a chance at going post season and he could jump in. He wouldn't be back much before end of the regular season.

Too bad it works out for all but Brody. Braes gets his trade, and Fyten will likely see some post season games and Brody gets to hang up his skates at the end of the season. Hopefully he is invited to join the AHL like Bancks did in his 20 year old when the Canes didn't go post season.

2speak4all
01-14-2012, 01:35 AM
Well after watching the shallacking that Vancouver took from Tri City on Shaw Cable tonight, they better hope that Fyten makes it back and helps them. Vancouver didn't have Gallagher throughout the World Juniors, so his leaving early during the first period had no reflection on this game. Maybe WHL should reconsider always giving Vancouver all these media coverage on the Shaw Cable.

Bocephus
01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I was at the Giants game last night.
Couple thoughts...
Ryckman appeared a bit behind the rest of the Americans roster. He was OK but the Americans are one impressive team. Responsible defensively throughout and skill to burn.
Patrick Holland is a beautiful player! Vision, size, skill, and competitive. Couldn't take my eyes off him. Amazing how far he has come since I watched him at 16 with the Y's men.
Kuvaev did a stick job to the face of Ryckman that went undetected. Wonder if it was intentional?
Kuvaev does appear to be an improved version of himself but not to impressed when watching Tri.
Comrie and Brain Williams look to be the next generation on Americans to dominate the scoreboard. How does Tory continue to do it?

Bocephus
01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
I was there the night Phil Tot scored 5 points!
Victory is ours!

mjw22
01-18-2012, 12:56 AM
2 of your picks from last year Pilon & Duke are playing for Canada at the world Olympics in Innsbruck.