PDA

View Full Version : Sundher to Brandon?

pontcanna
01-09-2012, 06:56 PM
As reported elsewhere on this board by "Trojan 97":

Kevin Sundher traded to Brandon...
Details to follow shortly..

***Hearing it's for 2 players and the higher of Brandon's 2 first rounders***

Will confirm when I hear more. Mod's can PM for my sources if needed.

Rye
01-09-2012, 06:59 PM
It is indeed true. Royals are getting at least a forward and defenseman in return.

pontcanna
01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Official Facebook page, as of 1800 hours Pacific

Victoria Royals Hockey Club
Kevin Sundher traded to Brandon... more info shortly...
about a minute ago ·

rednex50
01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.wheatkings.com/article/wheat-kings-add-all-star-center

pontcanna
01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
ROYALS ACQUIRE TWO PLAYERS FROM WHEAT KINGS

Victoria sends Kevin Sundher to Brandon for Fransoo, Conroy and a 2012 first round draft pick.

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Royals are pleased to announce that they have traded for Jordan Fransoo, Dakota Conroy and a first round draft pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft from the Brandon Wheat Kings. In exchange, the Royals have sent forward Kevin Sundher to the Wheat Kings.

“We are very excited to have Jordan and Dakota join our team,” General Manager and Head Coach Marc Habscheid said. “Jordan is young defenseman who will be a large part of our backend now and in the future. Dakota is a young forward who has skill and grew up playing with Brandon Magee in Edmonton. We feel that these two young men as well as the addition of an extra first round draft pick are key pieces in our effort to build a top end program in Victoria.”

Fransoo, 18, has recorded 11 points (2G+9A) in 41 games with the Wheat Kings this season. A native of North Battleford, SK, he was drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the seventh round, 186th overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. During the 2010-11 season he played in 63 games, registering 18 points(6G+12A) and 72 penalty minutes.

Conroy, 17, is currently playing in his first full WHL season and has recorded eight points(4G+4A) in 37 games played. The Edmonton, AB native was selected by the Wheat Kings in the third round of the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft and played three games with the Wheat Kings during the 2010-11 season while registering 45 points (19G+26A) with the SouthSide Athletic Club Athletics Midget AAA club.

The Royals also acquire the Wheat Kings’ first round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

“It is never easy to trade a player or a person of Kevin’s calibre,” Habscheid said. “His contributions to this organization on the ice are cemented in our record book, and what he brought to the rink everyday will be missed by his teammates and the entire organization. We wish Kevin continued success this year and into his future as a professional.”

the Royal Flush
01-09-2012, 08:11 PM
this is a real good deal for us...we got alot for a player that would be gone next season and i am pleased with the outcome...best of luck to Sundher...Brandon is a nice town...maybe not in winter...

pontcanna
01-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Checking out "the new boys" (copyright Joe McGrath) on Twitter. I think a couple of "E" vets on this board might agree with his sentiments:

@frannyman5 Jordan Fransoo

Moneyball is a great movie.. But I'm pretty sure they stole the theory from the WHL.. Below minimum wage.. Cheap players.. #weareslaves
Jan 5

CdnSailor
01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Wonder what gimic the Royals will do now that Sundher the Thunder is gone. :groovy:

Hmmmm who do the fans call out now as well during the hockey song :confused:

The Wheatiemaniac
01-09-2012, 08:49 PM
this is a real good deal for us...we got alot for a player that would be gone next season and i am pleased with the outcome...best of luck to Sundher...Brandon is a nice town...maybe not in winter...

Fransoo is a great two way D man and Conroy will be a scorer. Both skate very well, Fransoo can shoot from the point, good passer.

Conroy from the little bit I've seen of him, good skater, good nose for the net, still working on his finish. He will be a scorer in this league. Plus you will get a 1st rounder this spring to plan for the future. This will also help us to reach the next level. We are all excited for Kevin's arrival.

Wheatie Pete
01-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Could you give me an honest analysis of Sundher? Of the Royals fans you seem the most in tune with your team. How is he defensively?

rednex50
01-09-2012, 09:46 PM
He works the PK. His +/- isn't great, but also on a team that isn't good defensively.

Gritty. Not afraid of anything. Speed to burn. Great hands. Great vision. He is truly "Mr. Excitement".

I've watched and cheered for him for 4 seasons.

There is nothing else you can say, you're gonna love him.

Great kid. Great family.

sbtatter
01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
He works the PK. His +/- isn't great, but also on a team that isn't good defensively.

Gritty. Not afraid of anything. Speed to burn. Great hands. Great vision. He is truly "Mr. Excitement".

I've watched and cheered for him for 4 seasons.

There is nothing else you can say, you're gonna love him.

Great kid. Great family.

Fransoo is a great kid also, solid d-man, so its a win-win I think....

pontcanna
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I enjoyed watching Sundher this season and his rushes certainly get the spectators excited. A real shame his Royals career ended on an ignominious note with the "attempted head butt" and resultant absence from the shootout. I don't suppose the Wheat Kings would be too happy with their new purchase having to sit out a few games (if a suspension is imposed).

I also understand that he carries himself as a professional off the ice, which is another important factor. Looking to the future, I wonder if he is slightly one-dimensional as far as his attacking prowess. He has a couple of patented moves that he repeats - in the Dub, that's more than most, but I think that may be something that will keep him in the A as opposed to The Show. Can't criticise him too much defensively from what I've seen, but the Royals' actual d-men and goaltending have been so awful that it's easy to lose a forward in that mix.

CdnSailor
01-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Overall stats for Sundher

Sundher, 19, has played his entire WHL career with the Chilliwack Bruins/Victoria Royals franchise, recording 241 points (90G+241A) in 255 games played. This season, the Surrey, BC native counted 64 points (22G+42A) in 40 games. Sundher improved his point totals in each of his five seasons with the franchise, including a career high 76 points (24G+52A) during the 2010-11 WHL regular season.

pontcanna
01-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Royals ship Sundher to Wheat Kings

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM JANUARY 9, 2012 10:06 PM

The Western Hockey League is a business, so don’t get too attached to home-team heroes.

Kevin Sundher, the first true star for the Victoria Royals and the club’s leading scorer and most popular player, was traded Monday to the Brandon Wheat Kings for 17-year-old forward Dakota Conroy, 18-year-old defenceman and seventh-round Ottawa Senators draft pick Jordan Fransoo and Brandon’s 2012 first-round bantam draft pick.

Sundher was literally pulled off the Royals bus in the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre parking lot just before it rolled out for an extended road trip, and informed of the trade that came ahead of today’s 2 p.m. WHL trading deadline.

“It was surreal at first,” said an emotional Sundher, who is seventh in WHL scoring with 64 points.

“It’s bittersweet. I’ve been a long time with this organization [in his fourth season with the franchise previously known as the Chilliwack Bruins] and been through a lot with the guys on that bus. I got to say a little farewell and it was emotional. You build a special bond. Now I have to move on with a new team and try to fit in there.”

A classy individual, Sundher expressed a strong desire earlier in the day to remain in Victoria to help turn the struggling fortunes of the Royals.

“It’s been an unbelievable season and the memories will stay with me forever,” said the all-time leading scorer in the six-year history of the Bruins-Royals franchise.

“It’s sad to be moving on and not playing the full year here. I love Victoria. I love everything about this city. I’ll take a piece of the Island with me forever.”

But with Sundher signed to a three-season NHL entry-level contract by the Buffalo Sabres, there is little chance of him returning to the Royals next season as an overage 20-year-old. And with equally little chance of a Memorial Cup run this year in Victoria, the Royals are looking down the road.

“This was a deal that best fit our needs for the future,” said Victoria GM and head coach Marc Habscheid.

“But it was a bittersweet day. Ever since Day 1 in Chilliwack, Kevin has been there. He is a great player and a great person. This is a business but you do become attached to these guys and that makes it tougher.”

Asked if the Royals have lost their best player, Habscheid replied: “No doubt about it.”

“We want to lift the Memorial Cup this year but that’s not likely going to happen. [Victoria] fans lose entertainment value without Kevin but we’re building for the future. It’s a good deal for both teams. Brandon is currently the eighth seed [in the Eastern Conference] but they no doubt will be heard from.”

Sundher concurred.

“It’s a good opportunity in Brandon. They have lots of veterans and told me they are going for it this year,” said the 19-year-old native of Surrey.

Last year, the Wheat Kings went the opposite direction at the trade deadline and loaded up for the future by dealing the rights to star Brayden Schenn to 2011 Memorial Cup contender Saskatoon Blades. Schenn, with 12 games this season in the NHL with the Philadelphia Flyers, lit it up after the trade with 64 points in 37 regular-season and playoff games, but that still couldn’t stop Saskatoon’s doomed Memorial Cup express from being derailed in a huge post-season upset.

The Royals are barely hanging on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Victoria is three points ahead of the ninth-place Prince George Cougars but the Cougars have two games in hand.

The six-foot-two rearguard Fransoo has two goals and 11 points in 41 games this season for Brandon, while the six-foot-one WHL rookie forward Conroy has four goals and eight points in 37 games.

In what promises to be a emotion-charged game, the Royals play the Wheat Kings on Saturday in Brandon after opening their 14-day, six-game road trip through the Prairies on Friday in Regina.

“Every situation on every team is different depending where they are in their cycle,” said Habscheid, after practice Monday.

“We’re in a young mode right now and are staying with that. The goal is to build a championship team here in the future and not just limp around. Sometimes, in order to do that, you have to take a step back.”

IR_Hockey
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Just wanted to say that I had been hoping for this day since Kevin Sundher was given his contract by Buffalo. It is always a smart move to get something for a player when you know they won't be around next year. Assuming we can break our poor draft record, the pick should help greatly. Smart Move Habscheid!