dondo
01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Levi Bews to Swift Current for a 2012 6th round pick

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/456 Levi Bews

Tyler Vanscourt to the Giants from Moose Jaw for a 5th round 2012 pick

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/1688 Tyler Vanscourt

hockeyfan321
01-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Is there expected to be lots of movement with the Giants tomorrow? They have 15 forwards and 8 d men on their roster right now... Seems like pretty big numbers? I figure they could use without mcnaughton or walker on d.

Backhand
01-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Is Gally available to go anywhere?

dondo
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I would say Gally is staying as the Giants have a good chance to go to at least to the second round, but not if we keep picking up spare parts that other teams have already passed on, Vanscourt has been dealt by four teams now - still not sure why we picked him up.

Priceisright
01-09-2012, 09:20 PM
LOL the guy the giants picked up, 5 teams in 4-5 yrs? :eek:

Priceisright
01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Brandon got sundher :(

Lucic
01-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Gallagher isn't going anywhere. The Giants are not selling. I'd still expect at least one more move. I'd guess someone like Nathan Burns could be on the way out.

Geddy Lee
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Henry gone? Another OA coming in I suppose....

dondo
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
James "Chucky" Henry to Moose Jaw Warriors for 2nd (2012) and 3rd (2014) round picks

http://www.whl.ca/article/warriors-acquire-henry-from-giants
James Henry http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/812

Gally named Captain, as if we didn't see that coming. I'm gonna miss Chucky, but it sounds like they are making room for an OA acquisition. Good luck in MJ James .. at least you are closer to home (Winnipeg)

Priceisright
01-10-2012, 01:40 PM
shocked their giving up a captain and centre :( perhaps we have a C coming back....times running out 20minutes.

Geddy Lee
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
The Deadline is at 2:00 PM PST.

Priceisright
01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
The Deadline is at 2:00 PM PST.

Oh thought it was 12 :) I would have to think we have some sort of player thats 20 coming to play with us.

whether its anyone good lol who knows.

Lucic
01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I have a feeling it'll be Brody Sutter from Lethbridge.

Priceisright
01-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow doesn't look like we added anything BUT yet lost one of our best players and captain.

What will we do with the extra OA we have left? :confused::confused::confused:

rednex50
01-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Rintoul from Victoria? Can't imagine Habby holding him after dealing Sundher.

hockeyfan321
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I could see them picking up someone like Vause from speedy creek. Given bonner's past with making deals with them, he's a scoring forward who could help us.

Priceisright
01-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Nope, all done. Two more small deals for Giants which will net the club a couple of draft picks.

I guess they are hoping and building for a possible hosting of the Memorial Cup 2013.

GoldenBoy
01-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Nope, all done. Two more small deals for Giants which will net the club a couple of draft picks.

I guess they are hoping and building for a possible hosting of the Memorial Cup 2013.

umm Saskatoon is hosting it in 2013..

Priceisright
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Yes sorry your right. I think Vancouver bid.

Lucic
01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Very disappointing. Not only did the team not improve at all, the team got worse. It sounds like both the Giants and Henry mutually agreed to part ways but it's ridiculous to not fill that overage spot. I know the prices are high but the Giants have a ton of picks they've stock piled over the last two years. If they weren't going to try and make a run for it I would have preferred they sell and move our most valuable assets instead. :burningmad:

dondo
01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Eric Walker to Broncos for an 8th round pick -- comes back from college, where he didn't see any ice-time, joins the Giants for 16 games and we get an 8th round pick? He's 18, why not keep him as insurance?

Brendan Jensen to the Portland Winterhawks for a 6th round pick

Not what I would a success for Bonner, today.

I personally think we downgraded our team without getting any real assets to make a push. The intangibles that a guy like Henry brings to the line-up will be missed and we acquired a small pinball defenseman bouncing round the league and gave up a bigger player when what we need is more size and a defensive stalwart ready to clear the front of the net - not another middling offensive D.

Not sure what the hell Bonner was thinking except some cleaning house. I guess he needs Gally to sell tickets for the rest of the season. We do now have room for the younger players to move up a few notches though.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Very disappointing. Not only did the team not improve at all, the team got worse. It sounds like both the Giants and Henry mutually agreed to part ways but it's ridiculous to not fill that overage spot. I know the prices are high but the Giants have a ton of picks they've stock piled over the last two years. If they weren't going to try and make a run for it I would have preferred they sell and move our most valuable assets instead. :burningmad:

It doesn't make sense. If you want to run the white flag, trade Gally, Manning, Morrison, WesVan...anyone with value. I don't get it. I'm very disappointed, but even more perplexed. Until yesterday, the Giants were one D (and Vanscourt may or may not be that guy), and one forward away from being a very formidable team. To just come up limping today while you have a ton of draft picks in the bank is very disappointing. Adam Morrison came in here and helped turn the season around and gave the team great stability in net when they had none. His reward? Trade his captain away on him. Thanks for coming out, Adam.
Bonner went the wrong way today.

SectionNDeserter
01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
It doesn't make sense. If you want to run the white flag, trade Gally,Surprised they moved a few veterans for later picks, and didn't trade him as well.

Manning, MorrisonNot a huge market for average overage goaltenders, and smallish overage defensemen, they probably did well to hang on to them if they were only going to get 5th-8th round picks for them.

WesVan.I have heard grumbling that he plays with a little less of an edge than he did last season. "Last year" Wes might have brought more of a return, and he may have just not gotten the right offer for him. Still a tough kid that sticks up for his teammates.

Lucic
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I heard Portland has placed overager Dillon Wagner on waivers. I wonder if the Giants have any interest in claiming him?

Giantsfan
01-10-2012, 06:14 PM
They need a centerman, but he's small & not very skilled. I think Bonner will look elsewhere.

Priceisright
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I agree very strange that we downgraded! Boooo Giants organization! Trade captain when your team sits in 4th in the conference and get nothing in return???? Why not just keep him? We lose leadership/toughness and pts. :hmmm:

Section_Z
01-11-2012, 12:19 AM
They need a centerman, but he's small & not very skilled. I think Bonner will look elsewhere.

Riley Kieser, already acquired before trade?

Lucic
01-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Riley Kieser, already acquired before trade?

He was listed previously and added to the roster when the Giants reassigned Bews.

Section_Z
01-11-2012, 01:38 AM
He was listed previously and added to the roster when the Giants reassigned Bews.

Yes, I was wondering if they called him up to fill Henry's roster spot before he left, as it were. What line was Riley on last night? Anyone know.

dondo
01-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Riley Kieser was playing third line minutes with Franson and Burns that I saw. He looked okay, has some speed and made mostly smart plays.

Apparently there are a few OAs out there that have been released and the G's have until tomorrow night at midnight to "acquire" one. Hayzer was saying that Bonner was watching tonight and is assessing what holes could be filled with our OA spot.

I expect a stay at home D-man if he's out there, the forward lines are already jumbled with players that can easily play on the second, third or fourth line on any given night.

I don't think we've raised the white flag, but we really didn't do ourselves many favours. Let's hope Bonner has some sort of ace up his sleeve. We can still bring in listed players after the trade deadline right?

Section_Z
01-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Riley Kieser was playing third line minutes with Franson and Burns that I saw. He looked okay, has some speed and made mostly smart plays.

Apparently there are a few OAs out there that have been released and the G's have until tomorrow night at midnight to "acquire" one. Hayzer was saying that Bonner was watching tonight and is assessing what holes could be filled with our OA spot.

I expect a stay at home D-man if he's out there, the forward lines are already jumbled with players that can easily play on the second, third or fourth line on any given night.

I don't think we've raised the white flag, but we really didn't do ourselves many favours. Let's hope Bonner has some sort of ace up his sleeve. We can still bring in listed players after the trade deadline right?

Yes. A 20 YO Heavy D would be nice to fill that Over age spot. But only if there is leadership there. No point in picking up a guy just because he's 20. I agree that we have a great depth in the lower line forward department.
However, I actually like the trades made at the deadline. A lot of deadline dead weight was cut off IMO. For nominal picks, yes, but better than nothing.
I think the favour we did ourselves comes in two parts. First I have to wonder how the Henry deal came down. Here's a Captain playing on a team as a 20 YO where he can be traded to a team that has a much better chance at a Cup run. Did he want the trade?
Does it now bother Giants fans now, that our new Captain is all over the ice, grinding and scoring and leading the play and changing the course of games, play after play...Losing Henry as a Captain will be hard for the team, but gaining Gallagher as the new Captain will be, well, to create the word, Lucicesque....Watching Gallagher against Portland on his first game back...numerous times I flashed back to that huge Lucic shift against Medicine Hat. Makes me want to look it up on You Tube again.
2nd part of the favour is that we did not sell the farm. We seem to have sold to trim the team...certainly none of trades are blockbuster. Just the Henry deal and a lot of minor trades that better our future, but do not greatly affect this season. A few minor picks picked up and, yes, some room for our younger players to get more minutes.
I seem to recall a start to this season where Gallagher was potentially staying a Hab, and our goaltending situation was dismal. The outlook on the season was not good on these boards.
And now do we really criticise for not trading up for a Costly cup run 4 months later? I think the conservative trades were well played this year.
We'll see in March...

Section_Z
01-11-2012, 03:01 AM

?

What about 20 YO Kevin Smith released from Kelowna?

dondo
01-11-2012, 03:52 AM
It's a possibility .. I don't know enough about him to make a judgment .

I don't think it was complete fail. I just don't feel like we got better (right now). I hate to admit it, but Henry was not playing quite as well as I had hoped (his four assists the other night not withstanding) so I kind of understand the desire to move Martinook to the top line.

I have also come to realize that dealing him to MJ who is actually tops in the East gives him the best shot at another WHL Final and possible Mem Cup. I think we'll miss his work ethic and leadership, but not sure if we could have got much more for his services. Always loved Chucky, so it's sad to see him go, but I hope that he has a good run in da Jaw.

Loving Gally as the new Captain. I expected him to get it when Henry got it and since coming back from the World Juniors he is a man possessed and it freaking FUN to watch.

Lucic
01-11-2012, 04:28 AM
What about 20 YO Kevin Smith released from Kelowna?

Word is he already signed to play in the BCHL.

That would leave overage defenseman Kyle Verdino (Seattle cut him) and center Dillon Wagner (Portland) available. With 7 defensemen (once McNaughton is healthy) Wagner would be the better fit, IMO. He's a similar player to James Henry so it might be a decent option to pick him up. But we'll see. Something tells me the Giants want some of the younger guys to get more ice time and picking up someone like Wagner would make that more difficult.

Lucic
01-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Yes, I was wondering if they called him up to fill Henry's roster spot before he left, as it were. What line was Riley on last night? Anyone know.

It's possible as Henry was rumored to be moved prior to the deadline. But I think he essentially replaced Bews as both moves were announced at the same time.

As far as Gallagher and the captaincy goes, he was the real captain of this team anyway (no disrespect to Henry). It was clearly evident last season when Gallagher got hurt against Portland and the team was never the same until he returned.

dondo
01-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Rumours have it that Henry actually requested the trade - maybe he wanted a chance to play closer to his home town and with a real contender. The Giants will challenge in the playoffs, but they are by no means a favourite to go deep.

Of course I hope they prove me wrong.

Lucic
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Rumours have it that Henry actually requested the trade - maybe he wanted a chance to play closer to his home town and with a real contender. The Giants will challenge in the playoffs, but they are by no means a favourite to go deep.

It was a mutual agreement. The Giants weren't happy with Henry's play and Henry expressed interest in playing elsewhere. I guess Moose Jaw was one of the teams he gave Bonner and obviously he made that happen.

dondo
01-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Appears the Giants picked up Austin Fyten as their third OA player

Lucic
01-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Appears the Giants picked up Austin Fyten as their third OA player

Not a bad pick up if he ever dresses for the Giants. After blowing out his knee in the preseason he wasn't supposed to play again this season. Fyten is a cousin of former Giant J.D. Watt.

dondo
01-15-2012, 03:08 PM
hmmm .. that's odd because WHL boxscore for the game had him in the line-up, and usually that's only the players who played or warmed-up and were sat. I thought if he was still injured he wouldn't be there at all. I wasn't aware of the injury, but I do recall he was a tough player to come up against.

CdnSailor
01-15-2012, 03:41 PM
From The Province 12 Jan 12

In a bid to fill their open 20-year-old spot, the Vancouver Giants have turned to winger Austin Fyten, a former 20-goal, 100-PIM man with the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Fyten blew out a knee crashing into the net during a Sept. 8 Lethbridge exhibition in Taber, Alta., reportedly had surgery and never played a regular season game with the Hurricanes. They let the 6-foot-2, 200 pounder go at the WHL trade deadline on Tuesday, and Vancouver picked up his rights. He’s slated to come to town early next week to meet with Giants doctors, who will assess what rehab it may take for him to return this season.

The Giants aren’t talking anything imminent. They’re talking March or April.

Over his career, Fyten has 193 games played, 55 goals, 122 points, a plus-nine rating and 287 penalty minutes.

Vancouver is short one of their three overages because they traded centre James Henry to the Moose Jaw Warriors for a pair of draft picks, but didn’t land another 20-year-old. They reportedly inquired about centre Justin Maylan of the Prince Albert Raiders and winger Brody Sutter of the Hurricanes, but general manager Scott Bonner wasn’t willing to pay the prices being asked.

The Giants then went to the waiver wire, looking to add either winger Dillon Wagner, who was let go by the Portland Winterhawks, or blueliner Kevin Smith, who was released by the Kelowna Rockets, but the Seattle Thunderbirds nabbed Wagner based on worse record and Smith opted to join the Junior A Victoria Grizzlies.

dondo
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
thx Sailor ... which begs the question why he was listed as one of the players in that game maybe it was just to flesh out numbers.

Lucic
01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
hmmm .. that's odd because WHL boxscore for the game had him in the line-up, and usually that's only the players who played or warmed-up and were sat. I thought if he was still injured he wouldn't be there at all. I wasn't aware of the injury, but I do recall he was a tough player to come up against.

He definitely won't be playing anytime soon. He hasn't even been cleared to play. And that may or may not happen this season. Either way it doesn't hurt to add his rights in hopes that he can play in time for the playoffs.