Western Elite
01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
http://reginapats.com/article/pats-acquire-world-jr-defencemen

Joe Hallenback
01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice pick up. Weal is not going anywhere

Trevor
01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Nice pick up for the Pats. I'm impressed that they brought back as many picks with him as they did too. I don't know too much about the kid going the other way, but given the picks coming back, the price isn't too bad at all.

Tamal_SC
01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Not sure that I saw Marincin going to the Pats but I think it is a really good trade for them. PG was definitely looking for the picks and Regina was able to supply them.

Brandon
01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Great pick up for the pats. Watched a lot of Marincin for the Slovaks at WJHC, he played a ton and played it well. This kid should have been on everyones radar. Definitely makes the Pats a better team.

As a Calgary fan it sure has me hoping that Kisio has something going because all the teams around the Hitmen got better and really would rather compete for a spot at 6 or 7 then try and hold onto 8, especially if Edmonton is the team you get at 8.

dsquared
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
We gave up "a 1st and 2nd round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft and a 5th in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft" - There goes our future. The Pats are at best a team that might win a couple games in the first round of the playoffs. Too high a price IMO!

saskatoonblades123
01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
We gave up "a 1st and 2nd round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft and a 5th in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft" - There goes our future. The Pats are at best a team that might win a couple games in the first round of the playoffs. Too high a price IMO!

Oh come on. You have a ton of great prospects in the pipeline and ones already on the roster as 16 and 17 year olds.

Yes, it's a steep price, but don't go jumping off a cliff. This player could be a guy that helps you win an extra playoff round, which is a big big deal.

wombats
01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
As a Cougars fan, I like this trade from their stand point. The best the Cougars can realistically be looking at is 7th or 8th in the Conference, which is important. We are dressing 6 - 16 year olds on a regular basis.

If not an import he may have commanded a bit more, but due to the import numbers rule, and that he wont be back next season, it is a good return.

RWAH
01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
not sure what to think. picked up a d-man with 17 points and -5 gave a d-man with 13 points and +4. hopefully Marincin has a lot of up side. Like Dsquares I am shoked at the 1st and 2nd 2012 picks, we have three 2nd round picks but giving a first round.

Looks like weal is staying

IMO next year's rooster will need some off season trading to improve the skill level.

Joe Hallenback
01-10-2012, 11:31 AM
We should just judge players off stats especially Defensemen because looking at the stats and not actually

1. Watching the player play
2. Looking at the team the player is currently on
3. Looking at the team the player is going to

The guy is an elite level player and 2nd round pick in the NHL draft. He was a top player at the recent World Juniors and he will rack up points on the PP with Davidson and Weal.

RWAH
01-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Chad L knows his hockey and I am sure this trade will work out. Looking forward to tonights Sports Cage show on CKCK. The whole show is about the trade deadline and Chad L will be on it.

Toswammi
01-10-2012, 11:32 AM
The problem for a team in moving multiple draft picks in the same draft is down the road they have to make up for it via the trade route (barring good drafting). Good teams don't have an age group gap. Luckily for Regina they still have two picks in the top 40, they just have a touch more pressure to hit with them.

dsquared
01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
This player could be a guy that helps you win an extra playoff round, which is a big big deal.

How far did the Blades go last year in the Playoffs? - Err second round exit in 4 straight. That was after they got Schenn, (who they paid a similar price for). In my mind Marincin is not the same level as Schenn or Eakin for the Ice last year.

The Pats have made the second round once in the last 12 years & I have only seen junior hockey in April on TV - I fear that that I will not see it in 2012.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 11:43 AM
How far did the Blades go last year in the Playoffs? - Err second round exit in 4 straight. That was after they got Schenn, (who they paid a similar price for). In my mind Marincin is not the same level as Schenn or Eakin for the Ice last year.

The Pats have made the second round once in the last 12 years & I have only seen junior hockey in April on TV - I fear that that I will not see it in 2012.

Wow settle down skippy he wasn't trying to bash you or the trade he said with this deal you could go a extra round in the playoffs is there something wrong with that ?

saskatoonblades123
01-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Man people on here are idiots. Just trying to help you look at the bright side and help talk you off the edge of the cliff.

If Blades fans can suck it up and look at the positives of the Schenn trade, then Pats fans shouldn't be upset at this deal because they dealt a couple draft picks.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Man people on here are idiots. Just trying to help you look at the bright side and help talk you off the edge of the cliff.

If Blades fans can suck it up and look at the positives of the Schenn trade, then Pats fans shouldn't be upset at this deal because they dealt a couple draft picks.

Yep i agree he clearly didn't read your post to well at all

Trevor
01-10-2012, 11:48 AM

From a business viewpoint, the revenue from playoff hockey is huge, and in some cases could make the difference between making or losing money.

Saskatoon gave up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, their 1st round import pick, and 2 of their top prospects. Kootenay gave up 5 players/prospects, and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Comparitavely, Regina gave up a 19 year old, 1st, 2nd, and 5th round picks, but got a 19 year old, 2 4th round picks and a 7th round pick. The price for Maricin was nowhere near that of Schenn or Eakin.

And you're getting a guy who last season put up 56 points, which for a rookie blue liner is pretty decent.

saskatoonblades123
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
And the Blades did not pay a similar price for Schenn as the Pats did for Marincin.

That's a joke.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
From a business viewpoint, the revenue from playoff hockey is huge, and in some cases could make the difference between making or losing money.

Saskatoon gave up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, their 1st round import pick, and 2 of their top prospects. Kootenay gave up 5 players/prospects, and a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Comparitavely, Regina gave up a 19 year old, 1st, 2nd, and 5th round picks, but got a 19 year old, 2 4th round picks and a 7th round pick. The price for Maricin was nowhere near that of Schenn or Eakin.

And you're getting a guy who last season put up 56 points, which for a rookie blue liner is pretty decent.

Come on Marincin is a tad over rated if you ask me i would say colton Jobke is the better dman

Trevor
01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Come on Marincin is a tad over rated if you ask me i would say colton Jobke is the better dman

He very well could be. I honestly don't know too much about him. But to compare the price to that of Schenn or Eakin is absurd.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
This deal has Brent Parker written all over it he did these sorts of deals all the time when he was GM if you don't think Parker is still telling Lang what to do then well sorry for you if anything the pats should have stayed even keel this season

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
He very well could be. I honestly don't know too much about him. But to compare the price to that of Schenn or Eakin is absurd.

Agreed

dsquared
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
And the Blades did not pay a similar price for Schenn as the Pats did for Marincin.

That's a joke.

Here are the specifics (http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=348860)of the Schenn trade. In my mind that was too high a price also and sent us on the current year trend.

We need more offence - if we Weal goes down with an injury - we have too many eggs in that basket.

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Here are the specifics (http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=348860)of the Schenn trade. In my mind that was too high a price also and sent us on the current year trend.

We need more offence - if we Weal goes down with an injury - we have too many eggs in that basket.

You guys should try for a brett bullmer from kelowna

saskatoonblades123
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM

so you're saying:

Schenn

for

1st in 11
1st in 12
2nd in 11
1st round import in 12
McGauley (1st rounder in 10)
Nikkel (2nd pick in 10)

is the same as:

Marincin
4th
4th
7th

for

Blidstrand
1st
2nd
5th

You are kidding me, right?

lordstanley
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
so you're saying:

Schenn

for

1st in 11
1st in 12
2nd in 11
1st round import in 12
McGauley (1st rounder in 10)
Nikkel (2nd pick in 10)

is the same as:

Marincin
4th
4th
7th

for

Blidstrand
1st
2nd
5th

You are kidding me, right?

I hope he is kidding wow

patsdude114
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
what is so wrong with trying to make the team better NOW?

we have a ton of prospects have never been this stocked with prospects in the last 10yrs.

I wasnt expecting a trade for Marincin at all tho, is Lang setting himelf up for a different trade in the works?

witness
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I wasnt expecting a trade for Marincin at all tho, is Lang setting himelf up for a different trade in the works?

I don't think he is done.

This trade really doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, unless there is something else in the works. The Pats are now carrying 9 d-man and are an older crew (2- 20, 3-19, 2-18, 1-17, and 1-16). They really could use some secondary scoring.

The deal that I kept hearing was Jobke to Edmonton. I just don't see it happening now. Why would you pay that kind of price to make yourself better to turn around and make your competition better?

If a deal were to happen, I would suspect that it would be with Tri cities or Kamloops. Both could use some experience on the backend.

patsdude114
01-10-2012, 02:36 PM
As much as i have been saying hold onto Weal which does look to be the case now i would love to see Connor Rankin in a Pats jersey come tomorrow.... he is just that 17yr old forward that the Pats need so badly & Rankin for Weal would be a great trade for the Pats doubt it happens now especially with this deal happening today.

Jobke i still think is heading out the door as he is worth more then Marincin just cuz he is not a euro, 9 Dmen doesnt make sense at all right now our top 6 is by far the best in the East

Davidson
Jobke
Marincin
Bidlevskii
Underwood
Fenske

but where does that leave Peel & Burroughs & i guess to some degree Zimbaluk

AAAScout
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Marincin is a very top level D man in the WHL he makes the Pats ALLOT better as he would any team. does this mean they are contenders? nope, but playoff revenue etc is worth it, next year trading weal away if they must will more than salvage any losses in draft picks.

PPatsFFan
01-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I dont understand this trade one bit. Not at all what we needed. An over rated d man for a first and second. I don't get it. Price for forwards must have been way too high. Lang did say on CTV they tried trading for s forward and just missed. He thought his offer was just as good. I'm guessing that was for Sundher. Oh well. Hopefully we see some playoff hockey this year! Defense looks like a huge strength. With a hot goalie and if Wealer keeps playing out of his mind... Ya never know. ;)

patsdude114
01-11-2012, 01:50 AM
I think GMs are starting to get very greedy in what they get for players these past few yrs, how often do u see a 1st rd pick being dealt for a euro???? this is the 1st year i can remember of it & yet a guy like Marcel Noebels from Seattle gets 2 1st rd picks plus a player & he isnt even that great either. Playing on a weak team like SEA u still would of thought he could of put up more then he did, 10goals in 31 games is now worth 2 1st rd picks? ***??

Are GMs missing the bigger picture here in getting at least something/anything for a player who will not be back next season? Im not saying trading guys for free just doesnt make sense.....

Kelowna shocked me the most, they now have Bulmer on a very crap team going absoluately no where & they lose him next year. Did Hamilton actually think that someone was going to pay a price like last year? They sit in 6th in a very weak conference the bottom 4 teams can not compete with the top 4 in that conference no matter what they think.

Also *** is EVT thinking about NOT trading Simpson??? They are hands down the WORST team in this league & they have no hope in hell making the playoffs & they keep Simpson? Man even if they could of got a (lets say) B grade prospect & thats it it is still better then what they are going to get for him when he isnt even in EVT next year, same can be said for Pickard who would of most likely STILL made the playoffs even if they did trade him due to that crap conference.

Some GMs should be losing there jobs after today, i get that u cant just make trades for the sake of making trades cuz thats what everyone is expecting u to do but come on already.

I doubt a WHL team hosts the Memorial Cup this year, u look at some of those OHL teams where they really stacked up like London & then a team like the Sea Dogs no way in HELL any WHL team knocks them off, be just like KOO showing up to the Memorial Cup for the free hotels & enjoy the event.

PPatsFFan
01-11-2012, 03:21 AM
Well said Pats Dude. Doesn't make a whole bunch of sense.

Rocketsfan
01-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Kelowna shocked me the most, they now have Bulmer on a very crap team going absoluately no where & they lose him next year. Did Hamilton actually think that someone was going to pay a price like last year? They sit in 6th in a very weak conference the bottom 4 teams can not compete with the top 4 in that conference no matter what they think.

I'm just pissed off that Hamilton expected the world for Bulmer. Poor Bulmer has to be on this Kelowna team that like you said, has no real chance of competing against the top 4 in the conference. What a frustrating day

SectionNDeserter
01-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Also *** is EVT thinking about NOT trading Simpson??? They are hands down the WORST team in this league & they have no hope in hell making the playoffs & they keep Simpson?Simpson is a '92, and as a goaltender will almost certainly play in the WHL next season. I also don't think their 16 year old backup goaltender looks to be quite ready to take the reigns, so they would have to get a starting goaltender back in a trade on top of what they would be asking for Simpson.

patsdude114
01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
i guess also with the Simpson thing too only 1 team needed a goalie & that was Brandon, hard to trade a goalie when there is no market for one

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Its just the market. One team makes a trade, and its sets the bar. Its like that every year, Patsdude...its just higher value this year is all.

Braes went for a 1st and a 2nd, and almost every offer after that was based on that. Marincin went for a 1st and a 2nd(+ more, considering they got blidstrand), Henry almost went for that much, Noebels went for two firsts because portland's player was just a throw in. Even Connolly's price tag was a conditional 1st and 2nd.

The reason it was such a quiet deadline was that some teams didnt want to pay what was deemed to be the market price. THe prices for Pickard and Bulmer were higher than teams wanted to pay...probably higher than a 1st and a 2nd. The upside to all of this is that the Pats werent the only ones that didnt get extra scoring.

witness
01-11-2012, 02:35 PM
This transaction might not be so bad for the Pats.

The defense corps is the strongest in the league. You first have to stop the puck from going in your net. You build a strong team from the backend out. Hewitt has played well (I wonder how he is going to do with the team NOT being outshot each game). Any defenseman will tell you that all transition offensive opportunites revolve around the skill of the defensemen.

Marincin will add to the PP. No doubt about that. This will allow Weal more opportunity to move down to the bottom of the circle to look for back door plays and the tight cycle (that Weal and Eberle used to kill the opposition with).

If the Pats can cut their goals against. Get an average of a goal a game on the PP. It will help.

Secondary scoring is still an issue. I am hoping that Marantz's play in the new year is not a fluke and this is the real Marantz. Moving Scheidl to that line would help increase scoring opportunities. I love the young guy line (Volek, Klimchuck and Hunt). Tons of speed and energy. Scoring chances will come. C. Stephenson will be back in a couple of weeks and that will help out Weal on the first line.

Wild Cards to me are guys like D. Stevenson and Rodenwald. I really like Rodenwald's game. Hopefully, he can find a scoring touch. Dyson started off well, then has been struggling since coming back from the ankle injury.

The last couple of home games, the Pats have impressed me. They played a great team game. They were disiplined, patient and capitalized on their opportunities. If they continue to play like that, they will be successful.

By the way, did any of you watch the interviews with Weal and Davidson after the deadline? Neither one of them could wipe the smile off their faces when they were discussing how happy they were to be staying. That should tell you that the culture of the team is changing and that the players what to be here. Credit for that should go to Lang and all the coaching staff.

mjw22
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I think GMs are starting to get very greedy in what they get for players these past few yrs, how often do u see a 1st rd pick being dealt for a euro???? this is the 1st year i can remember of it & yet a guy like Marcel Noebels from Seattle gets 2 1st rd picks plus a player & he isnt even that great either. Playing on a weak team like SEA u still would of thought he could of put up more then he did, 10goals in 31 games is now worth 2 1st rd picks? ***??

Are GMs missing the bigger picture here in getting at least something/anything for a player who will not be back next season? Im not saying trading guys for free just doesnt make sense.....

Also *** is EVT thinking about NOT trading Simpson??? They are hands down the WORST team in this league & they have no hope in hell making the playoffs & they keep Simpson? Man even if they could of got a (lets say) B grade prospect & thats it it is still better then what they are going to get for him when he isnt even in EVT next year, same can be said for Pickard who would of most likely STILL made the playoffs even if they did trade him due to that crap conference.

Some GMs should be losing there jobs after today, i get that u cant just make trades for the sake of making trades cuz thats what everyone is expecting u to do but come on already.

I doubt a WHL team hosts the Memorial Cup this year, u look at some of those OHL teams where they really stacked up like London & then a team like the Sea Dogs no way in HELL any WHL team knocks them off, be just like KOO showing up to the Memorial Cup for the free hotels & enjoy the event.

With the Schenn/Eakin prices last year GM's who had players thought to be a hot commodity (weal bulmer pickard ) wanted to get close to that value for them. Thinking if you don't fans will be pissed . So they end up with nothing but it may correct the market going forward.