PDA

View Full Version : Buyers or Sellers

Rebelsfan13
01-10-2012, 10:29 AM
The trade deadline is today and a few teams have already made a splash (Regina and the Wheaties) I think the Rebels should be selling at the deadline and preparing for next season and beyond. If it were me I would look at moving:
- Petro
- Weller
- Kamby
- Elson

Get some good offensive talent back and who knows, maybe you make things interesting this year but you know next year and beyond look much more promising!

What are others thoughts and opinions?

whl_observer
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
The trade deadline is today and a few teams have already made a splash (Regina and the Wheaties) I think the Rebels should be selling at the deadline and preparing for next season and beyond. If it were me I would look at moving:
- Petro
- Weller
- Kamby
- Elson

Get some good offensive talent back and who knows, maybe you make things interesting this year but you know next year and beyond look much more promising!

What are others thoughts and opinions?

I agree that the Rebels should be movers today but not sure if all of those guys should be moved. Kamby and Elson will be great 20 year olds for the rebels next year. They will be the heart of the team next year. Weller will be tough to move now that he has a broken wrist. By the sounds of it best case scenario has him returning for the playoffs and not sure a team would want to give up something for him with not guarantee he will play for them. Petrovic is a guy that should be moved. He will not be back next year and it would be a shame if the Rebels lost him with nothing coming back in return. A guy like Petro might be what pushes a team over the top on their run to the Memorial Cup. Maybe Brandon takes a crack at him if they are really serious about contending this year. They could use some stability on the back end. With that being said, I do not think he will be moved today. The coaching staff has not given up on this season yet which is a good sign.

My question is since Weller is likely done for most of, if not the rest of the season, do the Rebels go out and get another 20 year old??? Does Cowan "un-retire"??? I still feel they need some extra scoring punch up front. Inglis has been good in his short stint with the team but I do not see him carrying the bulk of the scoring. Top scorers are not readily available this year does the team maybe try and find a scoring 18 year old or two. Someone that will help this year and next. Maybe this type of player comes back in a deal deal involving Petrovic. Attempt to kill two birds with one stone!!!

Rebelsfan13
01-11-2012, 09:57 AM
No moves is a bit of a surprise but more of a disapointment. When I posted originally I had not realized Weller's injury was as bad as it was so you're right he should not have been on the list. As for the other guys I wouldn't have traded them all I just thought they were players that may have garnered some interest. Especially Petrovic! By keeping Petro I believe this hurts the Rebels. They are in tough to make the playoffs this year with him and if they do then they will have an even tougher time winning a round. Petro will not be back next year and now we end up getting nothing in return. I read the Advocate article and Jesse says that they could not find a deal but I think even getting three draft picks is better than nothing.

I don't understand, I guess it comes down to what is the teams overall objectives. Mine as manager would be to build a team to win it all. They aren't winning it all this year and by not trading Petro you're not improving your club for the future either.

SectionNDeserter
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
The only asset that I think they had that could have returned anything better than the players the Rebels already have coming up through the system would be Petrovic, but I think that the injury to Weller made that one too complicated to make, as they would have to tack on a player experienced and reliable enough to replace Weller, as he would not be able to pick up the slack left by dealing Petrovic. I personally would rather watch another 30-40 games with Petrovic on the roster than get a couple of 28th overall draft picks that may or may not work out.

tiny
01-11-2012, 02:02 PM
The only asset that I think they had that could have returned anything better than the players the Rebels already have coming up through the system would be Petrovic, but I think that the injury to Weller made that one too complicated to make, as they would have to tack on a player experienced and reliable enough to replace Weller, as he would not be able to pick up the slack left by dealing Petrovic. I personally would rather watch another 30-40 games with Petrovic on the roster than get a couple of 28th overall draft picks that may or may not work out.

My thoughts exactly. Teams learn to expect to lose just like they can learn to expect to win. By keeping Petrovic, there is a better chance of the latter. I think they have a good chance to cause some real headaches for teams down the stretch if the PP begins to be more effective.