PDA

View Full Version : NCAA and the Blades

Nook
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Quick question... Do you think the Blades will be looking into bringing in some NCAA players for next year? There are usually a few who make the jump back to Canada after a year or two in the NCAA, although they're usually OHL bound.

Last time the Blades brought up an NCAA guy midseason was back when Steven Later joined the team. It's been a while.

wango tango
01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
so far molleken has shown no desire to poach from the ncaa. though sometimes i wish he would. i'd expect him to look at every option to improve the team for next season. but i'll be surprised if an impact player is added through the us collegiate ranks.

Nook
01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I wonder if hosting a memorial cup would be a draw for some players to come to the Blades next season?

I don't even know how the process would work... I suppose the Blades would have to list the player in question before they came to the WHL.

Trav
01-11-2012, 02:06 PM
so far molleken has shown no desire to poach from the ncaa. though sometimes i wish he would. i'd expect him to look at every option to improve the team for next season. but i'll be surprised if an impact player is added through the us collegiate ranks.

I to wish he would especially next off season. The team as is stands now is not good enough to be even in the Memorial Cup in my opinion. Just need a couple more d-men and a four-five forwards and we mite be okay.

Big Torro
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I wonder if hosting a memorial cup would be a draw for some players to come to the Blades next season?

I don't even know how the process would work... I suppose the Blades would have to list the player in question before they came to the WHL.

Most of the top players have already been drafted in the CHL and the teams protect their rights. Believe, a player who goes to the NCAA, the team that has their rights is able to protect them without it counting against their 50 man protected list. If one of these players were to become available, if Saskatoon did not already draft them, they would likely have to trade for their rights with the WHL team that does.

patsdude114
01-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I to wish he would especially next off season. The team as is stands now is not good enough to be even in the Memorial Cup in my opinion. Just need a couple more d-men and a four-five forwards and we mite be okay.

I fully disagree the Blades are loaded with quality 18yr olds & the rest of this year is more of an audition for next year. To gain chemistry & build a hard working attitude around the rink. There is alot of talent on the Blades in the 18yr old group & come next year all being a year older & more experienced to what it takes to win the Blades will get out of the gate strong next year.

With that said the playoffs are VERY KEY to this group to get that experience of playoff hockey. Playoff hockey makes players better even if it is only 4 quick games. The level of intensity is up, tighter defense & the atmosphere alone will make these guys better players come next year.

When u say the team isnt good enough now to be in the Memorial Cup, of coruse there not the team is not built for this year... its all about next season in Bladeland & it will be a great year forsure, just the Blades have to stay away from adding a local boy at trade deadline, too many distractions for local kids.

Nook
01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Just watch, this year the Blades will go deep in the playoffs just because they didn't try to make that big splash this year :P

Hockey gods work in funny ways.

twentyone
01-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I fully disagree the Blades are loaded with quality 18yr olds & the rest of this year is more of an audition for next year. To gain chemistry & build a hard working attitude around the rink. There is alot of talent on the Blades in the 18yr old group & come next year all being a year older & more experienced to what it takes to win the Blades will get out of the gate strong next year.

With that said the playoffs are VERY KEY to this group to get that experience of playoff hockey. Playoff hockey makes players better even if it is only 4 quick games. The level of intensity is up, tighter defense & the atmosphere alone will make these guys better players come next year.

When u say the team isnt good enough now to be in the Memorial Cup, of coruse there not the team is not built for this year... its all about next season in Bladeland & it will be a great year forsure, just the Blades have to stay away from adding a local boy at trade deadline, too many distractions for local kids.

Couldn't agree with you more. Some of these fans on here get delusional and have no clue. They do not realize how much a kid in junior can improve from one year to the next. I think this years Blades team is pretty damn good. They had a poor 10 game stretch in December. They will be a tough first round opponent for any of the top $ teams in the East. If they aren't one of them.

I am fully confident in this team next year and it will be very good times. Hopefully most of these dilusional fans actually go to more than 5 games a year.

Trav
01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Maybe I went a bit to far in saying their not good good enough to contend next yr but there will have to b a few solid pieces added and hopefully Molleken can do that without trading Moodie. Great to see him doing well again tonite against Brandon

lordstanley
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow Moodie was unreal tonight beating a stacked Brandon team no less a shutout WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Also Moodie has done something Makrov hasn't this year and thats get a shutout :clap:

i wonder what Todd is thinking on the bench lol bad news for us is Todd will probably play 1 game this weekend seeing it's 3 in 3 i hope he starts the PA game at home

mjw22
01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Wow Moodie was unreal tonight beating a stacked Brandon team no less a shutout WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Also Moodie has done something Makrov hasn't this year and thats get a shutout :clap:

i wonder what Todd is thinking on the bench lol bad news for us is Todd will probably play 1 game this weekend seeing it's 3 in 3 i hope he starts the PA game at home

team d and a hot goalie will beat shooters most nights . Good for the kid didnt give up 0 to that feared offence outta Man :D

lordstanley
01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah i agree and wow we may not have made a deal at the deadline but we made a move 2 weeks ago to get Pufahl from RD and man oh man what a steal the kids was our best dman tonight by far his speed and his smarts are something else also getting top PP time thanks Rebels :p

mjw22
01-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah i agree and wow we may not have made a deal at the deadline but we made a move 2 weeks ago to get Pufahl from RD and man oh man what a steal the kids was our best dman tonight by far his speed and his smarts are something else also getting top PP time thanks Rebels :p

Thats why Millar went and got 2 guys that can play in both ends of the rink. Sometimes guys like Pufahl just need a new environment.

lordstanley
01-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I said it yesterday and i'll say it again today you guys were the deadline day winners Sundher who ?

mjw22
01-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I said it yesterday and i'll say it again today you guys were the deadline day winners Sundher who ?

Thanks we hope it was enough. Emptied the pick shelf but we'll restock it at either next years or one after at deadline when we move Rielly. Lorne save up your picks lol

Trav
01-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd love to see Reilly here, it's a shame he's not playing rite now, he's fun to watch.

I'm sure Todd has already realized he's gone next yr. Moodie has gotten better every game and I think was a steal in the 2010 draft.

lordstanley
01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I watched the game on the WEB TV tonight and Moodie yes is the real deal he is very postionlly sound covers rebounds very well and has a killer glove

This kid for being 16 is very composed and is not scared of anyone star or any team in this league maybe a second coming of Brayden Holtby ?

Nook
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I noticed that Moodie seemed a lot more technically sound than Todd when he came in for Todd on December 27th against Edmonton. I think Todd was only recalled after the Morrison trade because of his age... I don't think you can call up and keep a 16 year old once you've sent him down to midget unless his team's season is up.

But I do think that Todd has the tools too, he's just a little less polished than Moodie and needs a bit more time to develop.

I just wonder if Moodie will be dealt next season in an effort to get some vets. He's putting up some solid numbers as a young guy in a tough position to adjust to... That should catch the attention of some inquiring GMs.

The Wheatiemaniac
01-11-2012, 10:59 PM

The kid showed he belongs in this league. No doubt your pal Todd knows he'll be looking elsewhere for a job next year.

But honestly, we had no traffic in front of him and mostly perimeter shots. Our new lines need to adjust. But you guys pulled it off.....for now.