PDA

View Full Version : Victoria at Swift Current 17 Jan and Moose Jaw 18 Jan

CdnSailor
01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif At http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/SwiftCurrentBroncos.gif 17 Jan and http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/Moosejaw.gif 18 Jan

Victoria ended a 10 game losing streak beating the Wheat Kings 4 - 3 in a shoot out. The Royals have had many close calls these past 10 games losing in OT and SOs as well.
Ther Royals are currently 8th place in the West, one point ahead of Prince George and tied with Seattle who has 4 games in hand.

They are now coming into Bronco territory where the Bronco's are 3 and 10 past 10 snapping a losing streak with a 4 - 0 win over Red Deer. The Broncos are currently in 10th place in the Eastern Division.

Moose Jaw is currently tied for 2nd in the East and has lost thier last two games and is 4 and 6 past 10.

Victoria Royals 44 14 25 2 3 = 33 PTS 1-0-0-0 STK 1-7-1-1 P10 758 PIM

Swift Current Broncos 44 17 22 2 3 = 39 PTS 1-0-0-0 STK 3-5-0-2 P10 772 PIM

Moose Jaw Warriors 44 25 14 4 1 = 55 PTS 0-2-0-0 STK 4-5-1-0 P10 745 PIM

50sWHLer
01-16-2012, 01:40 PM
I'll predict a WIN tomorrow nite !!

SPEEDY CREEK 3 VICTORIA 5

GO ROYALS GO !!!!!

the Royal Flush
01-16-2012, 02:52 PM
that would be nice...

pontcanna
01-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Royals aim to round up two points

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM JANUARY 16, 2012 10:19 PM

The Victoria Royals practice Monday, in preparation for tonight’s Western Hockey League game in Swift Current against the Broncos, was so pure Canadiana that it could almost be imagined in sepia tones.

It was framed that way by design in a small-town rink in Vanguard, Sask.

Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid grew up about a half-hour’s drive from Vanguard. When coaching B.C.-based WHL teams in Kamloops, Kelowna, Chilliwack and now Victoria, Habscheid has made a point of connecting his players to the roots of the game during road trips to the Prairies.

“This is the way hockey started on frozen ponds and in small-town rinks,” said Habscheid, of his tradition of including a team practice in Vanguard. “Sometimes that gets lost in the all the fancy new buildings, so this is always a different experience for the players.”

The scene depicted on the back of the Canadian five-dollar bill of kids playing hockey on a frozen pond doesn’t have much relevance to Victoria, the current cold snap notwithstanding. But that scene could have been lifted right out of Habscheid’s childhood years on a farm near Swift Current.

“Every day after school I would throw on the skates and be out on the frozen pond on our farm until supper, and then after supper, playing in the car headlights,” said the 48-year-old, who played in the NHL, AHL, Europe and for Canada’s national team.

“That’s how we learned the game and developed. It was certainly the right price in terms of the cost of ice time.”

The practice site in Vanguard may have been unique for several on the Royals roster, which includes seven players from B.C., four from the U.S. and two from the Czech Republic. But in every other way, it was a practice as usual as Victoria tries to build on its 4-3 victory from Saturday when forward Ben Walker scored the deciding goal in the shootout to beat the Wheat Kings in Brandon. The victory snapped a 10-game Victoria winless streak.

The win was critical in keeping Victoria in the eighth and final playoff slot in the Western Conference, one point ahead of ninth-place Prince George although the Cougars have a game in hand.

The Royals (14-25-5) are two points behind seventh-place Seattle but the Thunderbirds still have three games in hand.

Swift Current, meanwhile, is in even more dire straits in the Eastern Conference. The Broncos (17-22-5) are in 10th place and eight points adrift of a playoff position.

Not that the Royals can afford to take them for granted. Swift Current forward Taylor Vause is certainly dangerous with 23 goals and 51 points in 44 games. Forward Adam Lowry, brother of former BCHL Victoria Grizzlies forward and L.A.-Kings drafted Joel Lowry, was taken in the third round of the 2011 NHL draft by the Winnipeg Jets. The Broncos also have two forwards cited in Central Scouting’s mid-season rankings for the 2012 NHL draft — Coda Gordon rated 38th among North American skaters and Graham Black 53rd.

the Royal Flush
01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
from the look of the stats i would say we were "outgoaled" again...

CdnSailor
01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
from the look of the stats i would say we were "outgoaled" again...

yup

CdnSailor
01-17-2012, 09:25 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/SwiftCurrentBroncos.gif 3 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 1

We cannot not win for loosing. Outshot the Broncos by 11 but at the end it means nothing if you cannot get them in.

the Royal Flush
01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/SwiftCurrentBroncos.gif 3 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 1

We cannot not win for loosing. Outshot the Broncos by 11 but at the end it means nothing if you cannot get them in.

or keep them out...

IR_Hockey
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM

or keep them out...

We are 4-4-1-2 when out shooting the other team.
Shots don't always mean scoring opportunities.

the Royal Flush
01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
We are 4-4-1-2 when out shooting the other team.
Shots don't always mean scoring opportunities.

yes they do...every shot on goal has the potential to be a goal...thats why they call them saves when the goalie stops it...

pontcanna
01-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Three goals against and a lot of shots is something of an improvement, even with no points (moral victory ahoy).

Tamal_SC
01-18-2012, 07:17 AM
It was great to see the Royals in Swift last night. I had been looking forward to the game all season and it was quite entertaining. The Royals really controlled things for a good stretch of time in the 2nd and it really showed on the shot clock. The team battled pretty well and I am sure that if they keep working hard like that the 'W's will start to come a bit more. Congrats to Victoria on their team and hopefully the weather gets better so the rest of the travelling home goes well.

pontcanna
01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Broncos ride goalie to win over Royals

BY RON RAUCH, TIMES COLONIST JANUARY 18, 2012

The Swift Current Broncos didn't play like a 10th-place team Tuesday.

The Broncos, 10th in the Eastern Conference of the Western Hockey League, scored one goal in each period en route to a 3-1 victory over the Victoria Royals before 2,167 fans at the Credit Union I-plex in Swift Current.

Swift Current goaltender Jon Groenheyde, the game's first star, was outstanding, kicking out 38 shots.

"He [Groenheyde] was the difference in the game,'' said Victoria general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid. "He played great for them. We generated some great scoring chances and he made some key saves.

"We carried a lot of the play, especially in the second period, and for the most part, the effort was there.''

The Broncos opened the scoring in the first period when Victoria product Brad Hoban beat Royals goaltender Keith Hamilton, who finished with 25 saves.

Hoban caused a turnover in the Victoria zone and he went to his backhand to score on Hamilton.

Trailing 1-0 to start the second period, the Royals came out flying and did everything but score. The Royals outshot Swift Current 9-0 in the early going, forcing Swift Current coach and general manager Mark Lamb to call a time-out. The Royals were finally rewarded with a goal when Robin Soudek tallied his 18th of the season on a deflection. The goal came just as a Victoria power play had expired.

Taylor Vause, Swift Current's leading scorer, restored the one-goal lead at 18: 22 of the second period with his 24th of the year. Vause took a cross-ice slap pass from defenceman Richard Nedomiel and caught Hamilton out of position to score the goal.

Reece Scarlett gave the Broncos a 3-1 lead in the third period with a powerplay marker. Scarlett jumped on a loose puck during a goal-mouth scramble to give Swift Current the insurance marker. The Broncos now have a record of 18-22-5.

The Royals pulled Hamilton with just over two minutes remaining in the game in favour of an extra attacker and again had all kinds of chances but Groenheyde kept the puck out of the net.

the Royal Flush
01-18-2012, 06:30 PM
i am really glad i didnt do the Eastern roadswing...too damn cold.

CdnSailor
01-18-2012, 11:40 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/Moosejaw.gif 2http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 0

Game Highlights

http://youtu.be/Uqf-5CG68T0

CdnSailor
01-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Quite the head shots and fight to say the least.
Will be interesting to see the fines/suspensions that will be coming out of this one.

pontcanna
01-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Loss a Royal pain

BY MARIO ANNICCHIARICO, TIMESCOLONIST.COM JANUARY 18, 2012 10:17 PM

The Victoria Royals’ first-ever visit to Mosaic Place in Moose Jaw was far from an artistic masterpiece Wednesday night, but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A tough 2-0 loss to the big and talented East Division-leading Warriors has to be considered a bit of a moral victory, especially after a 3-1 loss in Swift Current the night before to the lesser-light Broncos.

“It was quite a vicious game,” said Royals general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid. “They came out and played real physical and I didn’t think we responded real good in the first. I thought in the second and third we competed a lot better.

“Especially for our young guys, I thought it was a game where they needed to face that level of physicality and intensity. They were thrown into the fire and after watching in the first, I thought we were much more committed to compete.”

The Royals organization has had little success in Moose Jaw. As the Chilliwack Bruins, the team posted a 1-4 record in the Civic Centre, better known as the Crushed Can. Mosaic Place opened in September of 2011 and the run of losses in the Jaw continues, but it wasn’t from a lack of effort.

James Henry made it 1-0 for the Warriors at 9:20 of the first period, converting on a power play. Cam Braes, of Shawnigan Lake, collected an assist, as did Quinton Howden, recently of the Canadian junior team.

Braes later collected the second Moose Jaw goal and, in fact, leads the Warriors in scoring with 52 points. Braes now has three goals and four assists in six games since the former Lethbridge Hurricanes’ captain moved eastward at the trade deadline.

Moose Jaw out-shot the Royals 13-2 in the first 20 minutes, a physical affair that spilled into the second. Victoria’s Zac Habscheid was injured on a Howden hit late in the opening stanza and the Royals defenceman did not return, though he managed to skate off on his own steam.

In the second, Victoria’s Tim Traber laid out Cody Beach with a solid hit, but was cut in a subsequent fight with Moose Jaw’s Dallas Ehrhardt. Like Habscheid, Traber did not return.

Bad news came in threes as Warriors defenceman Dylan McIlrath — the 10th-overall draft pick of the New York Rangers in 2010 — took a run at Victoria’s Jesse Zgraggen late in the second and he, too, was hurt. McIlrath was ejected on a major for checking to the head, which comes with a game misconduct.

The Royals out-shot Moose Jaw 11-6 in the second, but couldn’t solve netminder Spencer Tremblay, named first star for his 23 total saves. Third star Keith Hamilton made 26 stops for Victoria, which is now 1-3 on the six-game road trip that stops in Prince Albert on Friday and then in Saskatoon on Saturday. Braes was the second star.

fatshad
01-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Loss a Royal pain

BY MARIO ANNICCHIARICO, TIMESCOLONIST.COM JANUARY 18, 2012 10:17 PM

The Victoria Royals’ first-ever visit to Mosaic Place in Moose Jaw was far from an artistic masterpiece Wednesday night, but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A tough 2-0 loss to the big and talented East Division-leading Warriors has to be considered a bit of a moral victory, especially after a 3-1 loss in Swift Current the night before to the lesser-light Broncos.

“It was quite a vicious game,” said Royals general manager and head coach Marc Habscheid. “They came out and played real physical and I didn’t think we responded real good in the first. I thought in the second and third we competed a lot better.

“Especially for our young guys, I thought it was a game where they needed to face that level of physicality and intensity. They were thrown into the fire and after watching in the first, I thought we were much more committed to compete.”

The Royals organization has had little success in Moose Jaw. As the Chilliwack Bruins, the team posted a 1-4 record in the Civic Centre, better known as the Crushed Can. Mosaic Place opened in September of 2011 and the run of losses in the Jaw continues, but it wasn’t from a lack of effort.

James Henry made it 1-0 for the Warriors at 9:20 of the first period, converting on a power play. Cam Braes, of Shawnigan Lake, collected an assist, as did Quinton Howden, recently of the Canadian junior team.

Braes later collected the second Moose Jaw goal and, in fact, leads the Warriors in scoring with 52 points. Braes now has three goals and four assists in six games since the former Lethbridge Hurricanes’ captain moved eastward at the trade deadline.

Moose Jaw out-shot the Royals 13-2 in the first 20 minutes, a physical affair that spilled into the second. Victoria’s Zac Habscheid was injured on a Howden hit late in the opening stanza and the Royals defenceman did not return, though he managed to skate off on his own steam.

In the second, Victoria’s Tim Traber laid out Cody Beach with a solid hit, but was cut in a subsequent fight with Moose Jaw’s Dallas Ehrhardt. Like Habscheid, Traber did not return.

Bad news came in threes as Warriors defenceman Dylan McIlrath — the 10th-overall draft pick of the New York Rangers in 2010 — took a run at Victoria’s Jesse Zgraggen late in the second and he, too, was hurt. McIlrath was ejected on a major for checking to the head, which comes with a game misconduct.

The Royals out-shot Moose Jaw 11-6 in the second, but couldn’t solve netminder Spencer Tremblay, named first star for his 23 total saves. Third star Keith Hamilton made 26 stops for Victoria, which is now 1-3 on the six-game road trip that stops in Prince Albert on Friday and then in Saskatoon on Saturday. Braes was the second star.

I saw the game live in Moose Jaw and I will say that McIlrath and Beach are classless players and man do they think they are something !! Can hardly wait untill they move up level , if they do , and take a real **** kicking !!

mjw22
01-24-2012, 06:21 PM
I saw the game live in Moose Jaw and I will say that McIlrath and Beach are classless players and man do they think they are something !! Can hardly wait untill they move up level , if they do , and take a real **** kicking !!

You're funny lol our whole team but those two in particlar scared the s**t out of the royals. Royals couldn't get rid of the puck fast enough that night .good young fast team no grit or toughness though . Again you're funny :D:D