PDA

View Full Version : vs Medicine Hat

puckdad
02-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Good 60 minute effort from the team last night. Once again McNiell, Maylan & McVeigh shut down a big offensive line when playing 5-on5.

Not very often does Bunz get out-goaltended, but I think Holowenko (other than the 1st goal by Tyler Hart's younger brother, Jayden) was at least his equal. The 2nd & 3rd goals were power play goals and both should have been preventable, one on a defensive lapse at the net, the other off a bad turnover.

To be successful against a goaltender like Bunz, the Raiders will need to get a lot more traffic and bodies in front of the net. The only forward even attempting to do that right now is McVeigh. Kind of dismal to see that out of 12 dressed forwards, you have to move a d-man (Yawarski) up front to play the role of getting tips and rebounds. A goal is a goal, no matter how ugly. If it tips in off your ass or leg and ends up in the net, it still counts the same as a highlight reel goal. Coaches should show these guys video clips of Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom, and how he plays the game at the blue paint. There's a player making the most of a limited skill set.

Tough night for Yawarski. Once again he was in the box for the 2nd MH goal, and turned the puck over for the game-winner.

Some sketchy officiating last night sealed the fate of the game. I almost thought it was Byblow out there, with the missed calls and phantom penalties. Even the linesmen missed what looked like an obvious icing call that would have at least given the Raiders a face-off in MH zone with about 14 seconds left and an extra attacker. Lets hope for a better reffing and a fair chance tonight in Moose Jaw.

AAAScout
02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't agree with the goaltending of Holowenkos being better or equal too Bunz....but that is not to say Holowenko was bad, but that one weak one hurt allot.Other than that, he was very good for sure.

Tyler Bunz's positioning was perfect all night, his rebound control was absolutely world class Friday night. the reason the raiders were outshot is because Bunz left absolutely no rebounds anywhere and directed all rebounds he had to,to places where his defenceman had the play and not the Raiders forwards. It was a professional performance by a very solid Goaltender and he was a big difference in the game even though most would not recognize it, as those little things he did right all night where a huge part of why the Raiders had such tough times scoring and generating chances around the net.

all in all it wasn't a bad performance by the Raiders, but a loss all the same.

puckdad
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
PA's 1st goal in the 2nd period was a soft point shot by Ruopp that eluded Bunz..
He gave up 4 big rebounds to the slot in the 1st period, there were no Raiders there to cash in on them. I agree he was technically very sound after the 1st, except for Ruopp's goal.