PDA

View Full Version : Canes vs Pats

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Tryin to liven this site up a bit. Here is something I posted on the Pat's site tonight:

Klimchuk vs Merkley tonight. The #5 and #3 overall bantam picks 2 years ago. Let me know what you think of this match up after the game. Klimchuk has better numbers than Merkley but Jay M. missed a few games with a concussion and took awhile to get back up to speed.

Jay Merkley . . . . . . 40 11 - 11 = 22 -6 (ppg = .55)
Morgan Klimchuk . . 48 15 - 16 = 31 +3 (ppg = .65)

From what I know of the Pat's this season, Morgan K. is getting quite a bit of 1st line minutes this year and that means he plays with Weal a lot. Merkley on the other hand has ridden the pine quite a bit and played with various other 4th liners. Since Braes was traded, Merkley has been getting more ice time and the results are starting to show.

Some have said Merkley has some off ice issues and attitude problems etc. and that is why his ice time was limited for the majority of the season. Me, I say if you have the 3rd overall draft pick on your team you play him until he drops and let him get better on the ice, and not have him start to doubt his abilities while sitting on the freakin bench!!!

2speak4all
02-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Tryin to liven this site up a bit. Here is something I posted on the Pat's site tonight:

Klimchuk vs Merkley tonight. The #5 and #3 overall bantam picks 2 years ago. Let me know what you think of this match up after the game. Klimchuk has better numbers than Merkley but Jay M. missed a few games with a concussion and took awhile to get back up to speed.

Jay Merkley . . . . . . 40 11 - 11 = 22 -6 (ppg = .55)
Morgan Klimchuk . . 48 15 - 16 = 31 +3 (ppg = .65)

From what I know of the Pat's this season, Morgan K. is getting quite a bit of 1st line minutes this year and that means he plays with Weal a lot. Merkley on the other hand has ridden the pine quite a bit and played with various other 4th liners. Since Braes was traded, Merkley has been getting more ice time and the results are starting to show.

Some have said Merkley has some off ice issues and attitude problems etc. and that is why his ice time was limited for the majority of the season. Me, I say if you have the 3rd overall draft pick on your team you play him until he drops and let him get better on the ice, and not have him start to doubt his abilities while sitting on the freakin bench!!!

Time will tell what the right answer will be. But most often a player who is high on himself or has an attitude problem is a long term issue. Look at McFadden - a great player but if you cant get along with the rest of the guys, then you really become a deficit rather than a prize!!

patsdude114
02-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Merkley's head is alittle swollen he will lose it as he gets older, he has all the tools to be a dynamic player in this league. The Canes need some strong leadership next season to bring this kid along.

Klimchuk has benefitted greatly this year from strong leadership in Regina with the likes of Davidson, Bidlevskii, Reider, Weal, Underwood & Marantz this will only help him with his career moving forward.

canes77
02-06-2012, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't put a 16 yr old on the top line unless/until he has earned it. Most kids who are drafted that high will have similar characteristics. Luckily, the adjustment to the WHL will force them to be a bit more level headed.

As for the Merkley vs Klimchuk debate... they played on the same team at the world U17's a few weeks ago... one of them had 6 points, the other only got one.

http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=6036&year0=2012&status=stats