PDA

View Full Version : CHL to kill fights

Toswammi
03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Sounds like there is a lot of talk of getting rid of fighting in all junior hockey in Canada. Currently the Broncos lead the league in fighting majors this season, so obviously a ban on fighting would effect SC the most of all teams in the league.

Lamb talked about it with Mullin recently here (http://swiftcurrentonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17208&Itemid=34) and here (http://shawnmullin.wordpress.com/).

I fear a few things, I have never gone to a game to watch a fight, however I do believe that it is for the most part the players choice to engage in that activity. At 16 these are not kids, but young men I believe are capable of making their own decisions.

I also beleive the CHL should follow the NHL game and replicate an identical product in terms of the rule book. I fail to see how a development league should offer a different series of rules then the league they are supposed to be prepping players for.

Anyhow, the topic has been beaten to death as of late, but figured with a local spin on it, the topic could be picked up here.

Tamal_SC
03-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I completely agree. We need to prepare these 'young men' for what they will face in the NHL. I don't think that it will dramatically reduce head injuries by removing fighting as well. Maybe a small amount but most head injuries are good or illegal checks and sometimes just plain old bad luck.

I would hate to think what players might try to get away with if they didn't have to worry about someone scrapping with them. If something bad went down I don't think Blanke, Dale or Derko would mind the 2, 5 and 10 to make proper amends.

That being said I also don't go to watch fights and am not sad if there aren't any. I just worry about what could happen if they make the NHL and have never had to defend themselves.

Thats my take.

SectionNDeserter
03-02-2012, 01:48 PM
They will never be able to take fighting out of the game at any level--if guys are going to fight, they are going to fight. Fights still take place in several other sports, though with much less frequency, only difference is that they can argue that they are doing something about it.

Toswammi
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
They will never be able to take fighting out of the game at any level--if guys are going to fight, they are going to fight. Fights still take place in several other sports, though with much less frequency, only difference is that they can argue that they are doing something about it.

The leagues would simply add a game misconduct and possible suspension for fighting. Look at a league like the AJHL

SectionNDeserter
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
The leagues would simply add a game misconduct and possible suspension for fighting. Look at a league like the AJHLYep, and players will take the GM/suspension every so often when tempers boil over. It will certainly cut back on fighting drastically, but it won't get rid of it entirely. What it will do is give the league an argument during litigation in the future.