PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver at Victoria 3/4 Mar

CdnSailor
03-02-2012, 10:16 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VancouverGiants.gif at http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif

Victoria and Vancouver have met each other 7 times this season with the Giants taking 5 of them.
Vancouver is 5 - 5 past 10 while Victoria is 3 - 7 past 10.

7th and 8th spot is anybodys at this time and may go down to the wire.

pontcanna
03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
I guess that's (junior) hockey for you. Stink the place out with a no-show performance Weds. nite. Then give a committed, disciplined performance backed by stellar goaltending (Rathjen deserving better than 3rd star recognition) 3 days later. I honestly can't find fault with any aspect of the Royals' game tonight. Heads were up, effort was palpable and the bonehead defensive plays and "decline the penalty!" powerplay were things of the past. At least for tonight...these night to afternoon short-turnaround series always worry me. Good job by all. PG and Everett won tonight, so we have to keep it going tomorrow.

CdnSailor
03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 5 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VancouverGiants.gif 2

SCORING 1 2 3 Total
Vancouver Giants 0 2 0 2
Victoria Royals 2 2 1 5

SHOTS 1 2 3 Total
Vancouver Giants 10 11 10 31
Victoria Royals 6 11 10 27

THREE STARS
1. VIC - 4 Jordan Fransoo
2. VIC - 19 Logan Nelson
3. VIC - 1 Jared Rathjen

Was very impressed this evening by the Royals playing and end game.
Magic number as of the this evening is 12 for the Royals to make the playoffs.

CdnSailor
03-04-2012, 12:44 AM
ROYALS TOPPLE GIANTS

Victoria nets two powerplay goals in 5-2 win over Vancouver.

For Immediate Release
Saturday, March 3rd, 2012

Victoria, BC – In a Saturday night matchup at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre the Victoria Royals welcomed the Vancouver Giants for the first of a two-game weekend series. The Royals gave Jared Rathjen the start in net while the Giants countered with Adam Morrison.

Victoria opened the scoring 1:28 into the game when defenseman Jordan Fransoo jumped on a loose puck and walked out front from behind the Vancouver net before sliding the puck between the legs of Morrison for his first goal as a Royal. The game’s physical edge came to a head as Victoria defenseman Kade Pilton and Giants’ forward Scott Cooke dropped the gloves just before the halfway mark of the frame. Both combatants landed heavy blows before Pilton scored the takedown. The Royals doubled their lead with a powerplay goal at the 11:22 mark. After sustained pressure by Victoria on a 5-on-3 powerplay, forward Robin Soudek turned deep in the Giants’ zone and fed a cross-crease pass to Jamie Crooks who jammed home his team leading 34th goal of the season. After 20 minutes. Victoria led 2-0.

Vancouver got on the board 4:32 into the second period when the rebound from a Tyler Vanscourt shot was batted home by forward Nathan Burns. The Royals re-established the two goal lead on a powerplay tally from Zane Jones. From the right faceoff circle Hayden Rintoul one-timed a cross ice feed from Brandon Magee that fell loose in the Giants crease for Jones to net his 13th of the season. Vancouver replied after Jordan Martinook entered the Royals’ zone and dished the puck to Brendan Gallagher at the far post. The Giants’ forward tipped the puck past Rathjen to make the score 3-2. Victoria answered a mere 29 seconds later after a Fransoo point shot bounced of the end boards to Logan Nelson who directed the puck to the middle of the crease. Rookie Ben Walker found the loose puck and jammed home his eighth goal of the year. The Royals headed to the intermission up 4-2.

Victoria came out strong in the third period as they looked to secure the two points. Royals’ goaltender Rathjen continued his strong play stopping all 10 shots he faced in the final frame. The best save coming off a Giants breakaway as Maker Tvrdon sprung in all alone and deked to his forehand, but could not beat the outstretched left pad of the Victoria netminder. Rintoul would ice the game for the Royals with an unassisted empty net goal at 18:55. Victoria 5 Vancouver 2

Victoria went 2/6 = 33.33% on the power play, while Vancouver was 0/4 = 0.00%. The Giants’ outshot the Royals 31-27.

The Royals next home game is tomorrow Sunday, March 4th when they take on the Vancouver Giants in the second of a two game series at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Center. Game time is at 1:05 p.m. Skate with the Royals will follow tomorrow's game. For further details or to purchase your tickets today, visit the Victoria Royals Ticket Office, www.victoriaroyals.com, or call 250-220-7889.

CdnSailor
03-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Canada's most famous football trophy was in the building — courtesy of former Salmon Kings and now B.C. Lions ticketing rep Jeff Hill — but colour this night far from Grey at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

The Victoria Royals scored a 5-2 Western Hockey League victory over the Vancouver Giants that was as spirited as it was crucial. Maybe that stiff wind felt across the capital region Saturday was the sigh of relief emanating from the Royals dressing room as the race for the final two of eight playoff berths in the Western Conference careens toward a conclusion.

With eighth-place Everett defeating Tri City 4-1, seventh-place Victoria remained one point ahead with seven games remaining. The win allowed the Royals to put four points between themselves and the ninth-place Seattle Thunderbirds, 7-3 losers Saturday to the Portland Winterhawks but retaining a game in hand on Victoria

The Royals remained six points ahead of the 10th-place Prince George Cougars, 4-3 comeback victors over the Spokane Chiefs in overtime to keep their fading embers glowing.

First-period goals by Victoria defenceman Jordan Fransoo and Jamie Crooks, the latter on the power play with his team-leading 34th goal of the season, got the Royals off to a fast start before a raucous crowd of 6,727 on Armed Forces Appreciation Night.

"Before the game, we discussed getting a good start because we know Vancouver has good starts," said Fransoo, a seventh-round draft pick of the Ottawa Senators.

"After that, we grinded it out. It was a hard-fought game. It was a good effort, and we have to replicate that [today, when the Royals and Giants conclude their two-game set with a 1 p.m. matinée at the Memorial Centre]."

Nathan Burns's 11th goal of the season brought the G-Men to within one at 4:32 of the second period. The two-goal Victoria margin was restored on the power play by Zane Jones on what turned out to be the winner.

Montreal Canadiens-prospect Brendan Gallagher showed why he is the Giants' all-time franchise points leader — and one of the steals of the 2010 NHL draft as a fifth-rounder — with a one-timer at the step of the crease for his 39th goal of the season at 17:28 of the second.

Then the Royals' Mission from Minnesota swung into action to restore the two-goal lead as Ben Walker from Edina converted a pass from Logan Nelson of Rogers — his second assist of the night — to make it 4-2 at 17:57 of the second. Captain Hayden Rintoul's empty-netter sealed the deal at 18:55 of the third period.

Victoria goaltender Jared Rathjen was there when needed in a 29-stop performance. Adam Morrison made 22 saves for Vancouver.

Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid was happy to see his power play at 2-6 after going a combined 0-10 in the previous two losses to Spokane.

"We needed that because we struggled the last few games on the power play," said Habscheid.

But there was no power outage on this night for the Royals.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Royals+crucial+over+Giants/6248007/story.html#ixzz1o81dfAWU

the Royal Flush
03-04-2012, 01:06 AM
i had Rathjen as 1st star...he saved our asses a few times...let it ride...the boy plays tomorrow...

CdnSailor
03-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Coaches Corner said they will talk about whether Jared plays tomorrow

LeafErikson
03-04-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm hoping Rathjen starts again tomorrow. I missed Saturdays game, had to work. He's been excellent lately. The only reason we were even remotely competitive in the mid week games vs Spokane.

the Royal Flush
03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Coaches Corner said they will talk about whether Jared plays tomorrow

only a moron would start Hamilton in any more games...he is good for straining spaghetti only...Rathjen is far and away the better player and his upside is tremendous...he gives the boys a chance...lets try to make it simple for the simple

Ratjen plays= Playoffs
Hamilton plays= season is RIP

pontcanna
03-04-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm wondering if it will be "Bag-Skate with the Kids" for the Royals right now?

Oh dear, another one of those "the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train" weekends. That 00:15 goal certainly indicated we weren't ready to play and were lucky to get out of the first only 1-0 down. Least said the better about the second...it got to be entertaining wondering when we'd get that second shot on the Giant net. I think it was after minute 15.

Don't think they'll have sold many playoff ticket packages this afternoon. The radio folk were again working hard to find a positive spin in the after-game show...Soudek got grinder of the game, at least he did have a pulse this afternoon.

CdnSailor
03-04-2012, 06:58 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VancouverGiants.gif 6 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/cdnsailor/VictoriaRoyals.gif 0

SCORING 1 2 3 Total
Vancouver Giants 1 4 1 6
Victoria Royals 0 0 0 0

SHOTS 1 2 3 Total
Vancouver Giants 12 19 6 37
Victoria Royals 8 4 6 18

3 STARS
1. VAN - 7 Matt Bellerive
2. VAN - 12 Cain Franson
3. VAN - 4 Tyler Vanscourt

Attendance: 5935

Game Summary
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/60108

CdnSailor
03-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Not sure if Hamilton did anything for the Royals in the 3rd as there was only 6 shots on net vice 19 in the 2nd.
As usual our defence sat on their butts after doing such a great job on Friday.

6 games to go with little hope in site unless Prince George and Everett start losing again.

rednex50
03-05-2012, 02:10 AM
6 games left, only 2 points up on Everett who have a game in hand and 4 points up on Seattle who have 2 games in hand.

Everett has the momentum going 5-5-0-0 in their last 10 (Victoria is 4-6-0-0 and Seattle I think has crapped the bed going 2-8-0-0), but would hold the tie breaker with more wins if they tied.

I just don't think the Royals will have enough to get them in this season. Part of my wants to :groovy: :groovy: :groovy: :groovy: if they don't make it, but part of me will also be :( :( :( :( ...even with the "new home" I still pay attention, maybe not as much as before...but most of these guys are still "my boys" and I was to see them do well (to spite the crap we got from Porter, Burke, Robison and the BoG's).

rednex50
03-05-2012, 02:34 AM
forgot to mention as well...as the only team over 300 goals allowed (and possibly the ONLY team to actually achieve such a distinction), I do not see that boding well in their quest for 3 seasons in a row making the 2nd season.

If you can't score, keep it out of your own net!!!

Neither Hamilton (4.27 GAA / .875 SA%) or Rathjen (5.10 GAA / .836 SA%) have been anywhere near where Gore, Friesen and Esposito have been between the pipes in years previous. Rathjen is young, and he may have lately been holding up his end...but numbers don't lie. Holowenko was chastized for similar numbers on fewer games played at 16/17 yrs of age...before being dealt away.

I don't see Hamilton being back next season, I don't see Rathjen being the saviour either. Vollrath may be the ace in the hole, but I feel should see a year under a good vet G who can help him along.

This will be a long summer for Habby. He'll need to majorly rebuild between the pipes and the blue line, yet again. Losing Rintoul (O/A) and possibly Stahl (pro) possibly leaving Habby Jr and Fransoo as your most experienced 2 D...I think speaks volumes about how much trouble this team will be in next season without some major huge deals. The only thing I can think of is to deal from your strenth of '94 forwards to shore up Blue Line and allow guys like Pilton, Zgrag and Kanzig to not be pushed front and centre in pretty much yr 2 as a Major Jr. I know that some may think that'll be ok...but IMHO you are only asking for more of this season if that is the case...and that means get lots of sun block for the G's necks as that red light will be frequent and often.

pontcanna
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Giants shut out Royals, gain weekend split

BY CLEVE DHEENSAW, TIMESCOLONIST.COM MARCH 4, 2012

Dinah Washington was right.

What a difference a day makes. In this case, even less than her famous “24 little hours.”

The Victoria Royals followed up one of their most inspired performances of the Western Hockey League season — a 5-2 Saturday night victory over the Vancouver Giants — with a Sunday matinée dud as the Giants skated to a comprehensive 6-0 victory over Victoria before 5,935 subdued fans at Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre.

“They were totally different games,” Royals forward Tim Traber said.

“[Saturday] we came out flying and hitting, but were flat today.”

It was a divergent tune, of course, being hummed Sunday afternoon in the much happier Giants dressing room.

“That was a real solid game for us from start to finish,” said Vancouver head coach Don Hay, who admitted to being displeased by his club’s Saturday showing.

“We played Friday, too, so this was our third game in three days and I didn’t know what we’d be like today. But we have good leaders in our group,” added the veteran mentor Hay, who coached Canada to the bronze medal this year at the 2012 world junior championships.

Everybody pointed to the first goal, at just 15 seconds by Riley Kieser, as being key.

“It was a small mistake right off the bat and it cost us,” Traber said.

After Saturday night, Hay was looking for a quick boost and got one.

“Taking the lead today, so early at 15 seconds, was important for us,” he said.

Royals GM and head coach Marc Habscheid indicated another turning point.

“It was close until they got the second goal [on the power play at 3:45 of the second period by defenceman and 2011 second-round Edmonton Oilers draft pick David Musil],” he noted.

“Then Vancouver turned it up and really pushed. It was like the ice was tilted.”

Habscheid’s descriptive phrase pretty much summed up the afternoon as the Giants outshot the Royals 37-18. Starting Victoria goalie Jared Rathjen gave up five goals on 31 shots over two periods before giving way to Keith Hamilton, who allowed one goal on six shots in the third period.

The six-foot-three Adam Morrison, a 2009 third-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Flyers, recorded his 32nd win and first shutout of the season with 18 saves.

The goals came from Kieser, Musil, Jackson Houck, Cain Franson, Tyler Vanscourt and Matt Bellerive as the Giants moved to 37-25-4.

The Royals are 21-39-6 and down to six games remaining as they shakily hold the seventh of eight playoff positions in the Western Conference. Victoria is one point ahead of the eighth-place Everett Silvertips and four points in front of the ninth-place Seattle Thunderbirds, but the Silvertips hold a game and the Thunderbirds two games in hand on the Royals.

The Royals remained six points ahead of the 10th-place Prince George Cougars, who also retain a game in hand.

“There is a huge sense of urgency,” Traber said.

“Every game is huge for us.”

Victoria now embarks on a four-game road trip that is as geographically unusual as it is crucial. The Royals travel back and forth across the U.S. border for games Wednesday in Everett, Friday in Kelowna, Saturday back in Everett and next Sunday in Vancouver.

The regular season concludes with a home set against the Portland Winterhawks March 14 and March 16.

“We’ve just got to find a way to get points,” Habscheid said.

“We got two [Saturday] and none today. When you’ve got a young group like this, inconsistency happens.”

fatshad
03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm wondering if it will be "Bag-Skate with the Kids" for the Royals right now?

Oh dear, another one of those "the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train" weekends. That 00:15 goal certainly indicated we weren't ready to play and were lucky to get out of the first only 1-0 down. Least said the better about the second...it got to be entertaining wondering when we'd get that second shot on the Giant net. I think it was after minute 15.

Don't think they'll have sold many playoff ticket packages this afternoon. The radio folk were again working hard to find a positive spin in the after-game show...Soudek got grinder of the game, at least he did have a pulse this afternoon.

Bag skates are old school and dont help in any way at this point of the season !! Staying positive and working on crucial areas like pp and pk are whats needed now !! These are not peewees or bantams , bag skates are for the first half of the season !! In this tight playoff situation coaches that can motivate players is huge !! Not sure that is happening from what I am seeing !! Go Royals Go !! :clap::clap::clap: