PDA

View Full Version : 3yr drafted CHLers purposed to...

patsdude114
03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I just got done reading a article in The Hockey News where Steve Yzerman is trying to get other GMs on board to have more control on there drafted players that once they have played 3yrs in junior (WHL/OHL/QMJHL) that the NHL team should have the right to send there drafted players to the AHL instead of back to junior for another season where they have nothing to prove.

I highly disagree with this bold purposal by Yzerman, these so called high end players who do come back to play another year of junior hockey at age 19 help the development of other potential high end NHL prospects. They give these kids a chance to succeed at the very young age of 16yrs old as well as the 17yr olds entering there draft year.

The NHL is the only professional sports league that drafts players at the 18 & some players at the minor age of 17. If anything the NHL should be up'ing there draft age by a full year & to some extent even 2yrs to make players not able ot be drafted til they are 19yrs old.

Just looking at this from a Pats point of view, guys like Stephenson, Klimchuk, Volek are learning a ton from Weal & now a guy like Burroughs is learning alot from Davidson & Marincin. These high end drafted players are so valueable to our franchises. This example is just of my Pats every single team has there own example that follows the same path. Guys like Weal, Howden, Stone, Etem, Pysyk, Bulmer ect are all key people in there organization to make the young guys around them better for the years to come.

Junior hockey (the CHL level) wouldnt be worth the prices we pay now if guys like Etem, Stone, Howden, Weal, Holland, Ferland ect are not in the league.

In my opinion the only way the CHL could make ends meet for on-ice product if this was to happen is allowing all CHL teams to add a 4th 20yr old (& to some extent i wish it would happen already adding a 4th 20yr old) every team already has 1 possibly 2 players on there teams who should not be on a CHL roster, but are there to plug another body as they are the next guy on the depth chart. They would get more out of another year of development in Jr. A or midget then sitting in the stands watching hockey & only practicing.

YZERMAN YOU ARE WAY OFF ON THIS 1 & LOST ALOT OF RESPECT FROM THIS GUY WITH THIS CRAZY NON-SENSE!

canes77
03-09-2012, 01:57 AM
I agree with the fact it's a bad idea, and very unpopular from all of us WHL fans... but in terms of respect, his job is to run an NHL team and along with that comes the job of also running its AHL affiliate team. He just wants his AHL team to have better players and make more money, just like any other hockey team.

With the NHL CBA up for renewal soon, the CHL will no doubt fight this issue with everything they have! A CHL team owns its players 2-3 years before any NHL team ever get the chance to. An NHL team must also write a CHL team a generous cheque if/when they sign one of its players. If this 3 year rule ever happens, a big price will have to be paid!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I can see Yzerman's point though. If we look at it from the players side of things, they should be able to go the AHL at 19 if that is what is best for their development. After all, these kids deserve the very best chance they can get to become better hockey players. For selfish reasons none of us want to see this happen because it will lower the quality of fan enjoyment in the WHL.
Yzerman has a good point though and especially with the "3 year rule" he proposes. That is a h@ll of lot better than letting the players go to the AHL whenever they are good enough. Some players are good enough after say only 2 years. Especially some Euro's like Baertschi.
Again though, whose interests should be of prime importance here? It is of course the players.

A sample of WHL players who are probably good enough to be playing in the AHL right now:

Players in their 3rd year and would stay in the Dub:

Rattie
Etem
Ferland
Bartschi
McNiell

Players in their 4th year and could have moved up to the AHL:

Weal
Stone
Ross
Reinhart
Gallagher

At least with the "3 year rule" half of them would have to stay in the WHL. Without that kind of rule imagine if the Dub would lose all of these players. OUCH!

Joe Hallenback
03-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Teams would just not play 16 year olds. Thats all this would do. The best years are the 18 and 19 year old seasons for top players. That means that every top 16 year old they would be back in midget or Junior A right now. No Forsberg,Lazar,Klimchuk,etc..

patsdude114
03-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Teams would just not play 16 year olds. Thats all this would do. The best years are the 18 and 19 year old seasons for top players. That means that every top 16 year old they would be back in midget or Junior A right now. No Forsberg,Lazar,Klimchuk,etc..

Yes that is a very good point, i didnt even think of that myself prob cuz i was just flabbergassed by the thing Yzerman is trying to do... i wonder if he has thought of teams doing this to just get around it, if he hasnt then he is not the great hockey mind that we may think he is.

I woudlnt mind so much if say this rule did come into play but only the 1st round picks, cuz really they r the only 1s who should be considered for this.

I dont follow the SJHL much but if my memory serves me right alot of teams dont bring on 16yr olds onto the roster & just have them play another year of midget instead.

N.W. Bruin
03-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I can see Yzerman's point though. If we look at it from the players side of things, they should be able to go the AHL at 19 if that is what is best for their development. After all, these kids deserve the very best chance they can get to become better hockey players. For selfish reasons none of us want to see this happen because it will lower the quality of fan enjoyment on the WHL.
Yzerman has a good point though and especially with the "3 year rule" he proposes. That is a h@ll of lot better than letting the players go to the AHL whenever they are good enough. Some players are good enough after say only 2 years. Especially some Euro's like Baertschi.
Again though, whose interests should be of prime importance here? It is of course the players.

A sample of WHL players who are probably good enough to be playing in the AHL right now:

Players in their 3rd year and would stay in the Dub:

Rattie
Etem
Ferland
Bartschi
McNiell

Players in their 4th year and could have moved up to the AHL:

Weal
Stone
Ross
Reinhart
Gallagher

At least with the "3 year rule" half of them would have to stay in the WHL. Without that kind of rule imagine if the Dub would lose all of these players. OUCH!

Only trouble there it isn't one half as Ty Rattie and Mark McNeil are 1993s so they are underaged next season. Basically it takes the nineteen year olds out of the WHL. Bartschi is a bit of a non-factor because Euros don't come in as sixteen year olds. So really only Ferland and Etem are considered third year players who have to be in junior. Besides Bartschi likely could be gone as a underaged next season in the NHL.