PDA

View Full Version : NHL GM meetings... "Ringette Line"

Fight Guy
03-14-2012, 04:15 AM
I know this isn't WHL, but I feel like no one goes to the General Hockey forum, so I figured this should be discussed here.:thumb:

Sounds like the GM's shot down the idea of reinstating the center line, but had an alternative idea of adding the ringette line at the top of the face off circles at both ends of the ice. In order for a player to pass the puck up the ice or for a stretch pass, the player will have to cross the ringette line, or the "Bowman line", in order for the play to be legal. If the passer is behind the ringette line and the receiver is over the center line, it would be blown down as a two-line-pass.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=622060

They figure with this, players would have to use more skill in their own end to advance the play up the ice, instead of just shooting it up the boards from deeper in the zone. The NHL wants the AHL to guinea pig this idea next season.

I think it's an interesting idea, and I really don't see how it could hurt the game. It allows for the usual two-line-pass to still happen, but you just need to be past the circles. It will definitely reduce the end to end stretch passes though. Sometimes those plays are really exciting, but I still think of it as cherry picking. I certainly have no problem when the Pats pull it off...lol. It will be interesting to see how it works out. Seeing two more lines on the ice will be different. Nothing new though, as all the rec rinks have the ringette line on the ice.

I'm not a fan of all the tinkering of the game, but this idea doesn't really bother me at all.

What do you think about this?

mjw22
03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Great another way to wreck the game. Put the red line back remove the trapezoid call the rules the way the are written and they game is fine. the game had flow speed and scoring until the dead puck era. That was caused by officials not calling the clutch and grab tactics players and coaches were using to make up for a lack of skill. Rather than admit removing the red line was a mistake they invent something else typical NHL. Some players were supporting the red line idea but hey why listen to the ones who play the game. No other sport messes with their product more than the NHL . No wonder interest in it is in decline. :confused:

patsdude114
03-15-2012, 01:02 AM
The NHL is a joke all around, im very proud to say that i have barely watched 10 games all season long, every nite i watch highlights & every nite im reminded on why i have little interest to watch there games.... head shots every nite & dirty hits, the NHL players have no respect for each other anymore & its ruining there game all around.

The NHL is always trying to FIX there game, what was wrong with it to begin with? If the refs had called actual penalties back in the 90s we wouldnt be at this point. Too many grinders who have little skill have ruined a very great game, i thought the NHL is suppose to have the most skilled players in the world but yet every nite some plug is the talk of the nite.