PDA

View Full Version : Tim Leonard for coach of the raiders

farmboy
03-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I think with leonards track record and his success, he should get a shot with the raiders.. lets open the floor for discussion

the voice
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I think you keep all the coaches and manager or you clean house. You won't have success with the influence of one without the other. You stay the course so the players have continuity and see where we go next year with what they've learnt or you make a wholesale change and a fresh start for the players and see who fits into the new coach/manager's vision.

Wapitikev
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
From GM to assistant coaches, openings can occur at any time (people can quit/take jobs elsewhere)...but would Leonard be satisfied with anything less that the Head-coach job?

What's his coaching history pre-mintos?

-Wapitikev

the voice
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I can't answer that one, but someone must be able to. Seeing that their contracts are up, are the jobs posted and they can re-apply? Keep in mind that if that is the process, then we may find out that what we now have as manager and coaches is the best available and nothing will change. I hope fans can live with that and put it to rest and have faith in the selection process. Support will be needed either way.

XCHEKR
03-15-2012, 10:33 AM
I think with leonards track record and his success, he should get a shot with the raiders.. lets open the floor for discussion

From what I know... he doesn't want the job or at least "didn't".
On another note....I feel Dave's work with the team has shown> in my opinion

Western Elite
03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
A few Raiders stats:

- They have not had more than 38 wins in the past 13 seasons.
- Highest goal total scored in a season in the past 13 seasons was 247.
- They have now missed the playoffs in 8 of the past 13 seasons.
- Have averaged 27.6 wins over the past 13 seasons.
- Average placement in the 6 team east = 4.53

Sttop
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Since 99-2000 the Raiders have had 1 season over .500 . That is a stat that I couldnt find on any other team in the CHL. There is no possible way that the Raiders can NOT make any changes and expect to get anywhere near the same amount of season ticket holders renew. I really dont think that a head coaching job was ever offered to Leonard and he turned it down. I do think that the Raiders have watched Tim do nothing but win right under there nose's for much to long to not roll the dice on him. What have they got to loose? I would be happy to see Dave stay behind the bench , but he needs some talent to work with. There is nothing comming up this year to help on the back end this year though so heres to hoping that whoever is stearing the ship in the fall finds a 20 year old dman and Goalie to help out the goals against . That being said Holowenko has not played badly this year and I really think that in all 13 of Cole's wins he has been the direct result in those games being the star of the game in almost all of those wins.

XCHEKR
03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Since 99-2000 the Raiders have had 1 season over .500 . That is a stat that I couldnt find on any other team in the CHL. There is no possible way that the Raiders can NOT make any changes and expect to get anywhere near the same amount of season ticket holders renew. I really dont think that a head coaching job was ever offered to Leonard and he turned it down. I do think that the Raiders have watched Tim do nothing but win right under there nose's for much to long to not roll the dice on him. What have they got to loose? I would be happy to see Dave stay behind the bench , but he needs some talent to work with. There is nothing comming up this year to help on the back end this year though so heres to hoping that whoever is stearing the ship in the fall finds a 20 year old dman and Goalie to help out the goals against . That being said Holowenko has not played badly this year and I really think that in all 13 of Cole's wins he has been the direct result in those games being the star of the game in almost all of those wins.

Nothing mentioned about him being offered the job that i am aware of ..... can you imagine "some" that would be down his neck if he didn't have a winning team asap???

Wapitikev
03-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Wow...only 5 posts to derail the thread.

Cole is a very good goalie when he is consistent. Unfortunately he is not consistent...which is compounded (see 11 GA vs Saskatchatoon) by a terrible defense.

Do you want to roll the dice on him again next season on the gamble that he can become consistent before Christmas? I haven't decided but I'm leaning towards no.

However, regarding season ticket holders, your logic is completetly backwards.

Voting with your wallet only works when there is another store on the next block selling the very same product.

Supporting your major sports franchise financially has nothing to do with the current GM or coach...just ask a Habs fan since 1993 or Leafs fans since 1967.

Unless season ticket holders want drive to Saskatoon to watch WHL hockey in 2015, then they should renew regardless of who is GM/Coach/Stickboy next fall.

Besides, if you don't pay your money (or attend the games) then you have no right to bark about the problems.

Now, back to Tim Leonard...I'm sure he will get an invitation to interview for the job when the Raiders' GM decides it is time for a head-coaching change.

I'm sure I'll be a fan if that comes to pass...for one season at least.

Heh.

Until then he can continue polishing his midget stats.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
If the coaching staff and Bruno are gone I would like to see Manson stay he has done a great job with our d in the past and I have complete faith he will continue to do so. It's pretty obvious things aren't going well. As frustrating as it has been and continues to be I hope things will improve And I think the current group has proven over the past five years that they can't cut it. Just my opinion

AAAScout
03-15-2012, 05:40 PM
1-I do know for sure Tim Leonard has never been offered the head coaching position, nor of course has he ever turned it down.
2- The raiders for one reason or another do not feel he fits their needs or wants as a head coach.
3-Has Dave Manson really improved the defense? this team was in 7th when Bruno was fired as head coach(i believe it was 7th)and now is in last and the defense in my opinion is much worse....not saying that is Dave's fault at all, but it certainly is not better than it was before him. previous staff had Bettaeur to work with Dave has not, how it gets better is simple really, don't just rely on your defense to be the defense, defense is a "team concept" not a position!! stop allowing Bardaro,maylan,mcneill etc to always fly the zone and forfeit their defensive responsibilities to sacrifice for offense. how many games has bardaro had 2 or 3 pts in a game and still been a minus 2 or 3?? those are stats you need to look at to see what character your teams has, this team has very little character or leadership amongst the players, that first must be fixed before any coach could win here.

will Tim Leonard ever be the head coach of the Prince Albert Raiders? not in my opinion,if he ever was, it would have been instead of Bruno Campese and Bruno was chosen not Leonard, that ends that debate.

leonards coaching before the Mintos was, Bantam AA coach, then asst coach with Mintos, then head coach Mintos and first coach in history to win back to back telus cup championships(Midget AAA Canadian Championships) and always top 1 or 2 in Defensive "team" statistics like goals against average etc...................all he has ever done is win, why would the Raiders want to give that a try?

just one mans opinion

next topic please :clap: