PDA

View Full Version : Blades playoffs

lordstanley
03-17-2012, 09:07 PM
(5) Saskatoon Blades vs the (4) Medicine Hat Tigers

Here you have it what do you guys think ?

Lets keep the whole playoff thread here i will have a prediction tomorrow when i look at things a bit closer

JMoney1988
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, hopefully regular season success can translate into playoff success....., well at least we get to see cocky (hunter ****rocks) again.........

lordstanley
03-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Well, hopefully regular season success can translate into playoff success....., well at least we get to see cocky (hunter ****rocks) again.........

Haha yeah it is gonna be a great series we are gonna need the sutter burns and paradis line to do there job for sure

JMoney1988
03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Season Stats
I just thought I would look at the season stats overall between the two....

Offense
253/674=37%-Top line (Etem, Shinkaruk, and I assuming Valk)
181/730=25%-Top line (Nicholls, Stransky, Olsen(also switching players around/injuries)) We scored 56 more goals than they did.......

Goals For
255-Medicine Hat-both offense's are pretty even
268-Saskatoon-both offense's are pretty even

Goaltenders
Tyler Bunz-39-17-2-3 (Had a great year for the Tigers)
Andrey Marakov-29-21-1-1 (Had a good year, but fatigue set in and affected his numbers)

Defense(Points)
Medicine Hat-175
Saskatoon-191 (this might a key come playoff thing, they accounted for 26% of the offense)

Season Ending Records
Medicine Hat-42-24-2-4 for 90 points
Saskatoon-40-29-1-2 for 83 points

Blades won season series 3-1

Billy Blade
03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't really buy the fatigue factor on Makarov, Bunz played 61 games this year for the Tigers and he was fine. I think Andrey was such an unknown coming in that he caught everyone by surprise. As the season wore on, other teams started to figure him out, watch film, and see how he can be beaten. The purpose of this isn't to bust on Andrey, because I do believe he's a solid goaltender who can carry the load, it's just that he is beatable and the defense will need to be solid in front of him to be successful.

With that said, I also believe that the Blades are a deeper team than the Tigers, and hopefully they will be able to shut down the Hat's one big line, which often happens in the playoffs to teams like the Tigers. If they are successful in doing so, I think the Blades can move on in six games. We shall see!

curwie
03-18-2012, 11:32 PM
I don't really buy the fatigue factor on Makarov, Bunz played 61 games this year for the Tigers and he was fine. I think Andrey was such an unknown coming in that he caught everyone by surprise. As the season wore on, other teams started to figure him out, watch film, and see how he can be beaten. The purpose of this isn't to bust on Andrey, because I do believe he's a solid goaltender who can carry the load, it's just that he is beatable and the defense will need to be solid in front of him to be successful.

With that said, I also believe that the Blades are a deeper team than the Tigers, and hopefully they will be able to shut down the Hat's one big line, which often happens in the playoffs to teams like the Tigers. If they are successful in doing so, I think the Blades can move on in six games. We shall see!

Bang on! I don't buy that fatigue talk either. I think he's gonna be huge in the clutch though. He's already proven to be a big game player with 58 saves in the gold medal game for Russia. Let's hope that's a trend with him!

auch07
03-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I too don't buy the fatigue talk but NEVER forget about the time following an injury like he had especially in the case of a goalie. Look at his play of late....he finally is coming back into form following the concussion. He was not the same goalie for quite awhile after he came back from that no matter what anyone says. Not to mention he has to be thinking in the back of his head what if it happens again. It is gonna get into his mind and hamper him a bit no matter how hard he tries.

As for December....that was not fatigue. That was simply the whole team just not clicking and taking things for granted due in large part to the play of Makarov and a few others early on. Fortunately they were able to get that situation sorted out over the Christmas break.

wango tango
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
the blades have 9 players with 40 or more points.
the tigers have 5 players with 40 or more points.

saskatoon regular season home record 24-11-0-1.
saskatoon regular season away record 16-18-1-1.
medicine hat regular season home record 19-14-1-2.
medicine hat regular season away record 23-10-1-2.

blades goals for and against at home: 161 goals for, 127 goals against.
blades goals for and against away: 107 goals for, 123 goals against.
tigers goals for and against at home: 126 goals for, 108 goals against
tigers goals for and against away: 129 goals for, 101 goals against.

saskatoon home power play 23%, road power play 20%.
medicine hat home power play 24%, road power play 24%.
saskatoon home penalty kill 80%, road penalty kill 80%.
medicine hat home penalty kill 78%, road penalty kill 76%.

blades scoring by period.
1st - 86 gf, 71 ga. 2nd - 92 gf, 92 ga. 3rd - 86 gf, 84 ga.
tigers scoring by period.
1st - 86 gf, 64 ga. 2nd - 74 gf, 65 ga. 3rd - 89 gf, 74 ga.

saskatoon shots by period.
1st - 872 sf, 766 sa. 2nd - 776 sf, 897 sa. 3rd - 729 sf, 801 sa.
medicine hat shot by period.
1st - 727 sf, 778 sa. 2nd - 736 sf, 806 sa. 3rd - 766 sf, 743 sa.

what all this means to me....

the tigers have a lot of scoring, but it's concentrated. based on their record do the tigers not feel as much pressure on the road? keep things simpler? the tigers special teams, overall team, and systems play are pretty consistent both home and away.

the blades have to stand up to the tigers 1st period blitz, get the early lead, and keep it through the 2nd, before the tigers start to lock down the chances in the 3rd.

the tigers will ride etem, shinkaruk, and bunz. if the blades can limit the first two, and get to the third they can pull off a first round upset. the two teams are pretty evenly matched.

Shortys
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
What's everybody's thoughts on how Bunz impaired driving trial set for March 22nd, the day before first game, will affect his play? His head might not be in the game no matter the outcome of the trial.

dagley
03-19-2012, 02:39 PM
What's everybody's thoughts on how Bunz impaired driving trial set for March 22nd, the day before first game, will affect his play? His head might not be in the game no matter the outcome of the trial.

never even heard about that

Western Elite
03-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Not much will happen that he likely doesn't already know. Basically he'll get handed a 1 year driving prohibition, about 1000.00 in fines and be ordered to undergo an Alcohol addiction screening program. That is if he is found guilty.

JMoney1988
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Is there anyone going on the bus trip to Medicine Hat? as long as this thread is on, can the admin delete my saskatoon blades playoff one, no need to have two threads.....

lordstanley
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Blades to me are kinda stumbeling into the playoffs were a banged up team right now even with guy's back Makarov has shown a lot of weakneses in the second half

The Blades started of this season 18-6-1 since then have gone 22-23-2 that's a 500% team in the last 45 games, normally i would say depth can beat out a 1 line team in the playoffs but in this case i feel the Tigers top line will eat us alive, and not to mention the Tigers have the best road record in the league

This is how i see every game going tigers win game 1 Blades win game 2 Tigers win game 3 Blades win a tight 1 in game 4 then Tigers win the last 2 to take the series in 6 god i hope i'm wrong ! but on the bright side after these playoffs are over the planning for a Memorial Cup team starts

saskatoonblades123
03-20-2012, 11:15 AM
How do ppl say fatigue wasn't a factor for Makarov?

You do realize that he played like 26 games or something last year in the QMJHL....this year he was the full-blown starter, expected to play EVERY game because we had such a crappy backup.

Bunz had been a starter for a couple years and knew full-well what his body needed to go through in order to last all season.

Of course fatigue played a part in Makarov's inconsistency. I remember in late November he didn't practice for a like a full week because the team's schedule was wearing him down so much.

lordstanley
03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
How do ppl say fatigue wasn't a factor for Makarov?

You do realize that he played like 26 games or something last year in the QMJHL....this year he was the full-blown starter, expected to play EVERY game because we had such a crappy backup.

Bunz had been a starter for a couple years and knew full-well what his body needed to go through in order to last all season.

Of course fatigue played a part in Makarov's inconsistency. I remember in late November he didn't practice for a like a full week because the team's schedule was wearing him down so much.

Agreed it's the same people that say you can't blame injuries as an excuse lol ok play with 4 dman and siemens and cox out for 3 weeks umm yeah that is an valid excuse

Dwight Schrute
03-20-2012, 06:08 PM

I'm sure that shiny new NHL contract and signing bonus will help keep his head in it

lordstanley
03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Boy after watching the evening news it sure sounds like thrower and Burns are only 60/50 to play this weekend thats what i gathered from lorne talking about them being in game shape and what not they still haven't practiced yet but have been cleared by team doctors go figure

curwie
03-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Agreed it's the same people that say you can't blame injuries as an excuse lol ok play with 4 dman and siemens and cox out for 3 weeks umm yeah that is an valid excuse

Hold on a second there junior. Show me a post where I said that injuries were not a factor in our skid? I suggested the effort wasn't good enough, but also acknowledged that the injuries were a factor. Learn to read before making sweeping generalizations.

Still not buying the Makarov fatigue factor SaskatoonBlades 123. Auch 07 made a good point about the recovery from a concussion possibly affecting him though after he came back from his injury.

lordstanley
03-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Hold on a second there junior. Show me a post where I said that injuries were not a factor in our skid? I suggested the effort wasn't good enough, but also acknowledged that the injuries were a factor. Learn to read before making sweeping generalizations.

Still not buying the Makarov fatigue factor SaskatoonBlades 123. Auch 07 made a good point about the recovery from a concussion possibly affecting him though after he came back from his injury.

Settle down there young one lol i never named any names it's just a figure of speach

As for the Makarov fatigue factor i think it played a huge part into his game this year ,the world juniors the pressure there, him playing more than 50 games with us and the pressure, switching cities and countries, alot went into this season with Andrey, next season the guy is gonna be a lot more stable and it will show in his numbers trust me

curwie
03-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Settle down there young one lol i never named any names it's just a figure of speach

As for the Makarov fatigue factor i think it played a huge part into his game this year ,the world juniors the pressure there, him playing more than 50 games with us and the pressure, switching cities and countries, alot went into this season with Andrey, next season the guy is gonna be a lot more stable and it will show in his numbers trust me

I hope your right about him regarding next year. He'll need to be huge for us. This years playoffs will be a test run for him.

sbtatter
03-21-2012, 08:51 AM
I hope your right about him regarding next year. He'll need to be huge for us. This years playoffs will be a test run for him.

A little bit off topic, but Makarov will have to be huge for you next year. The season before the WK's hosted the playoffs, we accumulated 101 points and played at a .701% clip.
Then we added Wiebe, Hamonic and Radaeke, Urbom and Rajala to an already good team, but only improved to 104 points and .722%. And that team only went 2 and 3 at the Mem Cup.
So it looks to me as though your team will need major surgery next season. At least you have a top goalie to build on though.
Not trying to be controversial here, just musing through the next season. And I wish we wouldn't have done our trades this year, rather have waited for next year when there are 2 slots open for the dub in the Mem cup....

lordstanley
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
A little bit off topic, but Makarov will have to be huge for you next year. The season before the WK's hosted the playoffs, we accumulated 101 points and played at a .701% clip.
Then we added Wiebe, Hamonic and Radaeke, Urbom and Rajala to an already good team, but only improved to 104 points and .722%. And that team only went 2 and 3 at the Mem Cup.
So it looks to me as though your team will need major surgery next season. At least you have a top goalie to build on though.
Not trying to be controversial here, just musing through the next season. And I wish we wouldn't have done our trades this year, rather have waited for next year when there are 2 slots open for the dub in the Mem cup....

Yeah 40 wins for us the year before hosting the Memorial Cup isn't to bad considering what we lost from last years team

As for next season we lose 3 players from the roster Burns Trask and Paradis that's it, we get back 11 forwards 7 defense and 3 goalies so the real only help will be up front, if you could add a rattie type a mcneil type a grinder and a fighter you should be good to go easier said than done i know that but that's what it will probably take

curwie
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM

I thought we agreed a couple months ago that we were going to ship every pick we have for the foreseeable future to Brandon to whomever you have left over next year?:p Problem solved!:)

Out of curiosity, how many 19 year olds did you have on the mem cup team back then?

wango tango
03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
what if there is no nhl to start the fall? the league and players would be stupid to risk another lost season, and i don't think they will, but it could be a shortened season.

could it mean some players, who might otherwise play as 19's or 20's in the nhl next season, instead be returned to junior?

i think coaching and management are going to be watching the team very closely during these playoffs. it's going to be a kind of audition to see how they respond in the bigger pressure, and who wants to be a blade.

sbtatter
03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
As far as I can remember we brought back 8 forwards and 5 dmen and 1 goalie from the season before the mem cup. Then we added Deserres, hamonic, Wiebe, raedeke, Urbom and Rajala, ferland, walker, and that team was good enough to win the Mem Cup if Windsor hadn't been so stacked ( we did beat both other teams at Men Cup).
To answer Curwie, the players we brought over from the squad in 08/09 to the mem cup team were playing in the following age groups (not including goalies) in the mem cup year
17's Stone
18's Schenn, Glennie, Melnychuk, Ciarelli, Miller
18's Robak, Bestland, Hale, Schneider
20's Fehr, Lewadniuk, calvert.

IMO, at the mem cup it's no point having fighters/tough guys if they can't play a solid game (re, Hale). They may help you through the season, but at the Mem Cup, you have to be able to contribute. Lower level players for us who got shown up were hayes, bestland, miller, hale, schneider.

I think the Blades have a tonne of work to do, many of your current players just aren't good enough, so you need to replace them as well as bring in the stars that you need. Once again, not a jab, just how it looks from the outside. I don't think you had any players make the all star teams or win league awards did you? Guys like Benson need to be traded, or take a 3rd or 4th line role.

Western Elite
03-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Saskatoon is pretty much set in goal and on the Blueline.

G- Makarov, Todd, Moodie
D- Siemens, Thrower, Cox, Pufahl, Dietz, Schmidt and Stipancik
F- Nicholls, Stransky, Sutter, Benson, Stovin, Collins, Olsen, McEvoy, Haas, Muller, Zajac

Players on the bubble/Traded:
Benson - Would have to accept a 3rd line checking type roll and chip in his 40-50 pts.
Stovin - Can he step up and be a top 6 forward? If not, he should be used as trade bait.
Collins - To be released to make room for the team to add a high end 20 year old.
McEvoy, Haas and Muller - They will be released and/or dealt for mid round picks.
Schmidt - He will be 19, perhaps could be upgraded for hard hitter.
Stipancik - Injury problems and concussion issues. May be best served playing closer to home.
Todd - Likely to be traded/released.

curwie
03-21-2012, 07:22 PM
As far as I can remember we brought back 8 forwards and 5 dmen and 1 goalie from the season before the mem cup. Then we added Deserres, hamonic, Wiebe, raedeke, Urbom and Rajala, ferland, walker, and that team was good enough to win the Mem Cup if Windsor hadn't been so stacked ( we did beat both other teams at Men Cup).
To answer Curwie, the players we brought over from the squad in 08/09 to the mem cup team were playing in the following age groups (not including goalies) in the mem cup year
17's Stone
18's Schenn, Glennie, Melnychuk, Ciarelli, Miller
18's Robak, Bestland, Hale, Schneider
20's Fehr, Lewadniuk, calvert.

IMO, at the mem cup it's no point having fighters/tough guys if they can't play a solid game (re, Hale). They may help you through the season, but at the Mem Cup, you have to be able to contribute. Lower level players for us who got shown up were hayes, bestland, miller, hale, schneider.

I think the Blades have a tonne of work to do, many of your current players just aren't good enough, so you need to replace them as well as bring in the stars that you need. Once again, not a jab, just how it looks from the outside. I don't think you had any players make the all star teams or win league awards did you? Guys like Benson need to be traded, or take a 3rd or 4th line role.

Not counting Patrick Johnson, (the third string goalie), we have 10 roster players that are (93) 18 years old this year. So you can't over look how we go from being a very inexperienced and young team this year to a older team and more experienced core than most teams next year.

I dont disagree with you though, there is some work to do here. I just dont think its as bad as you believe. This years playoffs will be a good indicator of just how much work needs to be done. If certain vets don't step up, give em an apple and a road map and get someone in here that will.

sbtatter
03-21-2012, 07:22 PM

G- Makarov, Todd, Moodie
F- Nicholls, Stransky, Sutter, Benson, Stovin, Collins, Olsen, McEvoy, Haas, Muller, Zajac

Benson - Would have to accept a 3rd line checking type roll and chip in his 40-50 pts.
Stovin - Can he step up and be a top 6 forward? If not, he should be used as trade bait.
Collins - To be released to make room for the team to add a high end 20 year old.
McEvoy, Haas and Muller - They will be released and/or dealt for mid round picks.
Stipancik - Injury problems and concussion issues. May be best served playing closer to home.

All due respect, that defence is no where good enough. Need a serious upgrade by the likes of Ryan Murray, Ryan Pulock type (a la Hamonic)

curwie
03-21-2012, 07:31 PM

G- Makarov, Todd, Moodie

Of your list, a player I disagree with you on is Stovin, he's gonna be real good.

Mixed feelings on dealing Benson, and Mcevoy. However you do what you got to do when hosting the big dance I guess. If the return is good, it really becomes a no brainer,

curwie
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
All due respect, that defence is no where good enough. Need a serious upgrade by the likes of Ryan Murray, Ryan Pulock type (a la Hamonic)

Been thinking of Ryan Pulock all year. Lets make the deal tonight and tell Kelly and Lorne in the morning.

lordstanley
03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
To me our defense is gonna be our strong suit i mean it will be hard to find a better top 4 in the league next season i agree a Ryan Murray will put them over the top no doubt but Siemens is a first rounder Thrower may be another 1 this year Deitz is another great 1 puts points hits hard and is a leader and Cox led us in +/- and with 40 points and when Pufahl was healthy he was doing pretty darn good

Defense to me will be just fine Forward group needs some tinkering no doubt there

sbtatter
03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
To me our defense is gonna be our strong suit i mean it will be hard to find a better top 4 in the league next season i agree a Ryan Murray will put them over the top no doubt but Siemens is a first rounder Thrower may be another 1 this year Deitz is another great 1 puts points hits hard and is a leader and Cox led us in +/- and with 40 points and when Pufahl was healthy he was doing pretty darn good

Defense to me will be just fine Forward group needs some tinkering no doubt there

Thrower can't play defence, he's fine going forward but he's a liability defending, Pufahl isn't good enough for a mem cup team. Siemens needs to get back to his old form of a season ago. There's major surgery required on your defence, you need to add at least 2 high end guys.

lordstanley
03-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Thrower can't play defence, he's fine going forward but he's a liability defending, Pufahl isn't good enough for a mem cup team. Siemens needs to get back to his old form of a season ago. There's major surgery required on your defence, you need to add at least 2 high end guys.

Hmm i guess i haven't went to any games this year not sure what i was watching pretty good if you ask me considering all decent draft picks with the ages of 4 18 year olds 1 19 year

When looking at Siemens don't look at his numbers cause last year his numbers were blown up cause elliott was his partner he is not that type of player when siemens was hurt this year we were lost and sucked bad he came back late in the season and we got on a role with his physicle presense and his first pass up the ice

As for Thrower i just have to laugh at that comment sorry he has been everything and more what the Blades could ask for offensivly and on defense He is probably our second best defensive defensmen on the team tied with Deitz

as for Pufahl when he came over from Red Deer his skating out of the zone was very smooth got pucks in and got pucks out did the job until he got injured
old and 1 17 year old they will be better than fine next year they are really only 1 dman away

lordstanley
03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
And plus all this next year talk is fine and all and it is a focus but now i will be switching gears to Friday night and the rest of the playoffs next year is next year lets get the job done this year

sbtatter
03-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Like i said, this wasn't meant to be banter, it was just an objective outside look at the team. We all over rate our own guys, it's natural. It's actually shocking how good the team has to be to compete at the Mem Cup.

lordstanley
03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Like i said, this wasn't meant to be banter, it was just an objective outside look at the team. We all over rate our own guys, it's natural. It's actually shocking how good the team has to be to compete at the Mem Cup.Oh i know i do the same things i look at other teams defense

That's fair i do the same with other teams in the east to i guess i was just pleased how our defense played with being how young they still are that's all these playoffs are gonna be great for there expierence

Now on to the playoffs i see Bra vs Cal starts tonight not sure it matters who wins this series both teams are even in my mind

lordstanley
03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
You guy's got any predictions how this series will go vs the Hat ?

saskatoonblades123
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Of your list, a player I disagree with you on is Stovin, he's gonna be real good.

Mixed feelings on dealing Benson, and Mcevoy. However you do what you got to do when hosting the big dance I guess. If the return is good, it really becomes a no brainer,

Well of course Stovin is going to be a really good player..but in order to get something good, you'll have to give something good....aka Stovin.

I think think Benson, Stovin, Olsen, Zajac, McEvoy are guys that could realistically get dealt in a big package to acquire big name center and blueliner. Those players, along with tons of future picks will have to be what's dealt.

I don't think we'll see top prospects like Moodie, Nogier or Graham get dealt...the team likes them too much.

When looking at this roster, the Blades still need a legit #1 center. Is Olsen that guy with Stransky and Nicholls? I don't think so, although he's been better lately.

Ultimately it would be nice to get a #1 C and another two good wingers to play on the second line, pushing Sutter down to line three. (Benson and Stovin likely dealt to get that to happen).

On the blueline, we still need another good two way guy. Thrower has shown he can be a true offensvie defenceman, and that's huge because that was our biggest hole. With that being said, it's still an area we need to improve on.

Stransky - X - Nicholls
X - Olsen - X
Collins? - Sutter - Stovin?
Zajac? - McEvoy? - Muller?

EX Haas? Stockl? Graham? Bodie? Hickmott?

Lots of question marks and lots of room for upgrading. Finding another two guys like Burns/Paradis will be hugely important.

Siemens - Thrower
Cox? - Dietz
Pufahl - Schmidt?

EX Lernot? Nogier? Pichonsky? Hnidy?

Does Cox get dealt for an upgrade as a 20 year old? Hard to say, but having him as a #5 or #6 wouldn't be too bad. Schmidt as a #7 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either. Good room guy, too.

Makarov
Moodie

Don't see Moodie getting dealt, although having a 17 year old rookie backup on a mem cup team is pretty risky.

saskatoonblades123
03-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Blades in 6

curwie
03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Well of course Stovin is going to be a really good player..but in order to get something good, you'll have to give something good....aka Stovin.

I think think Benson, Stovin, Olsen, Zajac, McEvoy are guys that could realistically get dealt in a big package to acquire big name center and blueliner. Those players, along with tons of future picks will have to be what's dealt.

I don't think we'll see top prospects like Moodie, Nogier or Graham get dealt...the team likes them too much.

When looking at this roster, the Blades still need a legit #1 center. Is Olsen that guy with Stransky and Nicholls? I don't think so, although he's been better lately.

Ultimately it would be nice to get a #1 C and another two good wingers to play on the second line, pushing Sutter down to line three. (Benson and Stovin likely dealt to get that to happen).

On the blueline, we still need another good two way guy. Thrower has shown he can be a true offensvie defenceman, and that's huge because that was our biggest hole. With that being said, it's still an area we need to improve on.

Stransky - X - Nicholls
X - Olsen - X
Collins? - Sutter - Stovin?
Zajac? - McEvoy? - Muller?

EX Haas? Stockl? Graham? Bodie? Hickmott?

Lots of question marks and lots of room for upgrading. Finding another two guys like Burns/Paradis will be hugely important.

Siemens - Thrower
Cox? - Dietz
Pufahl - Schmidt?

EX Lernot? Nogier? Pichonsky? Hnidy?

Does Cox get dealt for an upgrade as a 20 year old? Hard to say, but having him as a #5 or #6 wouldn't be too bad. Schmidt as a #7 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either. Good room guy, too.

Makarov
Moodie

Don't see Moodie getting dealt, although having a 17 year old rookie backup on a mem cup team is pretty risky.

Nice post. You make some good points here.

I should add what I meant was Stovin, IMO, will be real good next year. It would have to be a REALLY good player in return to part with him.

Christian Stockl is going to be awesome and should be fun to watch.

Ryan Graham is a hard working kid who has a tremendous upside.

Nice point about Ryan Olsen being better in the second half of the season. I was starting to lose patience with him, but he's really starting to come around.

Quite a few people in a rush to ship Cox out of town. I can't figure that out at all. He is a must for our D next year. Again only my opinion.

Lernout and Nogier both looked pretty good in the limited time they were up.

I'm quite comfortable with Moodie as our back up.

lordstanley
03-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Tigers take game 1 this was a feisty 1 we almost made it 4-3 in the third puck went through the side mesh tough break then we hit a post this score was alot closer than it looks Makarov was out played by Bunz Makarov didn't have a good second period

Darren Deitz could be suspended for tomorrow Etem came down the wing deitz slashed Etems head result was a game misc and a 5 min major

curwie
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Tigers take game 1 this was a feisty 1 we almost made it 4-3 in the third puck went through the side mesh tough break then we hit a post this score was alot closer than it looks Makarov was out played by Bunz Makarov didn't have a good second period

Darren Deitz could be suspended for tomorrow Etem came down the wing deitz slashed Etems head result was a game misc and a 5 min major

Makarov needs to step up.

mjw22
03-24-2012, 12:54 AM

No advance to the second round is that what you meant :)

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 01:26 AM
No advance to the second round is that what you meant :)

Yep cause we all know a series is won after game 1

In all seriousness the team that wins game 1 does tend to win alot of the time we now have to win atleast 4 of the next 5 which i don't see happening or 4 out of the next 6 which also will be very tough

longtimejrfan
03-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Well if they are suspending for two handed baseball swings then I would suspect Dietz will miss at least tonights game.

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Looking back it wasn't that serious the deitz stick to the head it was all momentium i just think the ref sent a message for teams to watch out

longtimejrfan
03-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Looking back it wasn't that serious the deitz stick to the head it was all momentium i just think the ref sent a message for teams to watch out

It was a two handed baseball swing near that hit Etem in the chest. Take off your Blade glasses for a second. If an opponent had done that to a Blade player you'd be calling for the hanging squad. The momentum was caused by the wind up of the swing.

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 02:51 PM
It was a two handed baseball swing near that hit Etem in the chest. Take off your Blade glasses for a second. If an opponent had done that to a Blade player you'd be calling for the hanging squad. The momentum was caused by the wind up of the swing.

I never said it wasn't worth a suspension i said it wasn't as bad as i originally thought it was Etem comes flying in dietz went for a hit got his stick in his chest went for a cross check dietz is not that type of player at all and he had the size on Etem which made the contact look worse than it really was i'm the type to call a spade a spade

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 03:01 PM
There you have it Dietz has been suspended for tonight game Richard Doerksen will decide on Monday morning if it will be longer than 1 game or not

Blades can't catch a break on defense last night was the first time in over a month and a half that we had our regular defense playing

curwie
03-24-2012, 03:47 PM

That's BS. I just watched the highlites on whl.ca and wow... It was intentional and Dietz has to be a lot smarter than that! Dumb move on his part.

See for yourself at the 3:25 mark of the video. http://whl.ca/video/index/id/1332607826

Western Elite
03-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the clip. Didn't see it the same way as I did live last night. Didn't even really notice it. But I would think a pretty lengthy suspension would be in order for that type of slash. Possibly 5 games or so.

longtimejrfan
03-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the clip. Didn't see it the same way as I did live last night. Didn't even really notice it. But I would think a pretty lengthy suspension would be in order for that type of slash. Possibly 5 games or so.

Regular season probably 5-10 games. Playoff games holding more importance I'm guessing 3-5.

Landon
03-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I never said it wasn't worth a suspension i said it wasn't as bad as i originally thought it was Etem comes flying in dietz went for a hit got his stick in his chest went for a cross check dietz is not that type of player at all and he had the size on Etem which made the contact look worse than it really was i'm the type to call a spade a spade

Lordstanley how can you say it wasn't as bad as originally thought? A baseball swing with a hockey stick to another player and your gonna down play it? Bourhis gets 6 games for beating on Sutter who initiated it all then turtled. Stanley you cried wolf over that because it was your beloved Blades who do no wrong.....So if we are gonna call a spade a spade Mr. Dutz should get at least 8 to 10 for such a gutless play on a premiere player.........

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Lordstanley how can you say it wasn't as bad as originally thought? A baseball swing with a hockey stick to another player and your gonna down play it? Bourhis gets 6 games for beating on Sutter who initiated it all then turtled. Stanley you cried wolf over that because it was your beloved Blades who do no wrong.....So if we are gonna call a spade a spade Mr. Dutz should get at least 8 to 10 for such a gutless play on a premiere player.........

Learn how to read i said it is worth a suspension all i said is it wasn't as bad as i originally thought it was i thought he got his stick to his head pipe it down a and read the post next time you decide to yap your gums

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Only 4 defense for tonight Pufahl Dietz and Stipancik all out

Landon
03-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Learn how to read i said it is worth a suspension all i said is it wasn't as bad as i originally thought it was i thought he got his stick to his head pipe it down a and read the post next time you decide to yap your gums

You truly are a clown. You seem to always back peddle when called on your contradicting BS....because YOU say it's worth a suspension every other dumb thing you state is ok in your mind. If Nichols or Stansky were two handed baseball bat style you would be crying AGAIN....Just a little advice I will give you: watch the game or video or maybe try rewind on the re-play to see how serious it is before you decide to yap your gums. A little side note please read before you post. I hate piecing sentences together.......

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 07:27 PM
So tonights game is make or break i feel can not go down 2-0 and have to win at least 4 out of the next 5 just wont happen vs a team like the HAT doesn't help that we have 3 injured d-men out that's a valid excuse for being fatigued

Trav
03-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Pufahl is playing and already 1-0 for the Tigers.

curwie
03-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Discipline problems! What a joke! 2-0 on 2 unnecessary penalties!

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I know lorne made it sound like he wasn't gonna play he deffinitly isn't a 100% he is a little wobble but at least he is the 1 of the few that is trying the guy even scored

curwie
03-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Much better period! Different team out there in the second!

curwie
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Wow. The coaches better get the attention of these kids. Cause the discipline in the 3rd period again was brutal. Gave the game away at the end with all those late penalties.

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Well it was a good game until devin klein called us 4 times in the last 1:26 when it was still 4-3 game over med hat scores on a 5 on 3 and out of all that was thrower hooked up shorthanded with a 1:00 to go and no call lorne lost his mind and got the boot

pp's this series blades have 3 medicine hat has 12 sure alot of ours have been undeciplined penalties but not the ones late in the third such a gong show

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Wow. The coaches better get the attention of these kids. Cause the discipline in the 3rd period again was brutal. Gave the game away at the end with all those late penalties.

The calls before the third were bad penalties the ones in the third were such BS not because they wearn't good calls if there gonna call it 1 way then call it both ways they had there blinders on all night Tigers were hooking all night long it was horrible a lot of interference BS going on with that team

curwie
03-24-2012, 10:00 PM
The calls before the third were bad penalties the ones in the third were such BS not because they wearn't good calls if there gonna call it 1 way then call it both ways they had there blinders on all night Tigers were hooking all night long it was horrible a lot of interference BS going on with that team

We are playing like goofs out there right now, and the refs aren't gonna give us the benefit of the doubt when playing like that. The unsportsmanlike penalty on Trask, and the slashing penalty to Siemens were brutal and unnecessary.

I agree that it looked like it should be a penalty on the hook on Thrower at the end. but still!

lordstanley
03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
We are playing like goofs out there right now, and the refs aren't gonna give us the benefit of the doubt when playing like that. The unsportsmanlike penalty on Trask. and the slashing penalty be Siemens were brutal.

I agree that it looked like it should be a penalty on the hook on Thrower at the end. but still!

It shouldn't come as a huge surprise out of the 8 east team to make the playoffs we had the worst road record we are a team that thrives on last change and match ups now it turns into a must win for both games on home ice

curwie
03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
It shouldn't come as a huge surprise out of the 8 east team to make the playoffs we had the worst road record we are a team that thrives on last change and match ups now it turns into a must win for both games on home ice

For sure.

longtimejrfan
03-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Perhaps the Blades should concentrate on playing the game instead of trying to show everyone how tough they are. Some very foolish penalties on their part in both games. Teams are pretty evenly matched 5 on 5 but so far the Tigers have been far superior in the discipline department. Also looks to me that Makarov is struggling with confidence right now. He needs to be better for the Blades to have any chance of getting back in this series.

Dwight Schrute
03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
How long is dietz out for

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Hard to say matt dumba did the exact same thing to Lukas Sutter in november he got 5 and a game for slashing to sutters chest at the end of a game same exact thing as dietz here and got a 1 game suspension

Trav
03-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Dietz could still be suspended longer, final sentence is yet to be determined according to the league website. If Dumba did the same thing and got 5 then I'm sure Dietz will get more then one game.

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Dietz could still be suspended longer, final sentence is yet to be determined according to the league website. If Dumba did the same thing and got 5 then I'm sure Dietz will get more then one game.

Nope i meant to say Dumba got a 5 minute major a game misconduct and a 1 game suspension all the same as dietz and the same kind of slashing play

Trav
03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Well Doerkson is so inconsistent so wouldn't be surprised if Dietz got more then a game. Doerkson's the guy that let Myers get away with almost killing Craig Schira a few years ago in the playoffs, picks and chooses who to suspend.

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Well Doerkson is so inconsistent so wouldn't be surprised if Dietz got more then a game. Doerkson's the guy that let Myers get away with almost killing Craig Schira a few years ago in the playoffs, picks and chooses who to suspend.

Yep that's right and i bet it depends how his relationships are with other teams GM'S i wouldn't be surprised if guy's like doerksen let personal relations get involved with this stuff inconsistent is probably the best word to describe the gong show of league officials

saskatoonblades123
03-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Sutter innitiated???

I have since talked directly to Lucas about the incident that night and he says he said absolutely nothing to Bourhis. He said he heard Bourhis yelling at him all the way down the ice and then all of a sudden felt him on his back and punching.

What the hell was he supposed to do? He wasn't exactly in the proper position to start trying to fight...

saskatoonblades123
03-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh and according to twitter, burns is back in for game 3.

that might be the boost this team needed.

auch07
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Dietz back as well or so I heard.

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Yep it is official Dietz is back he only got a 1 game suspension and that was served saturday night i knew that pure super crazy vicious baseball swing to the chest wasn't worth more than 1 game lol

Anyways Dietz and Burns both back for Tomorrows game so a full healthy lineup it looks like no excuses now come out and win both

longtimejrfan
03-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Yep that's right and i bet it depends how his relationships are with other teams GM'S i wouldn't be surprised if guy's like doerksen let personal relations get involved with this stuff inconsistent is probably the best word to describe the gong show of league officials

We now know which gm has an in with the league brass. One game is a friggin joke.

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
We now know which gm has an in with the league brass. One game is a friggin joke.

If anything i would think the league is sick of Lorne Molleken

the main factors were Etem wasn't seriously injured and Dietz has a clean record before this had Etem been hurt and Dietz had a previous record i would say 4 games but looking back as i said earlier it wasn't as bad as i first though

Now lets move on CASE CLOSED

Backhand
03-26-2012, 07:13 PM

You're a friggin joke! There's been 2 other major slashing calls/suspensions this season - both received a 1 game suspension - period!

JMoney1988
03-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Well good to hear Burns is back for game 3, glad Dietz didn't get suspended, but anyway, must win for us tomorrow, if we lose, I think we can kiss the playoffs goodbye, the "Whole" team has to be better, everyone says Marakov needs to better, well since we only got 4 goals in two game, that's not very good....., go blades go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On a side note Braden Holtby picked up a shutout last week against Minnesota, nice going man...............

curwie
03-26-2012, 10:57 PM
If anything i would think the league is sick of Lorne Molleken

the main factors were Etem wasn't seriously injured and Dietz has a clean record before this had Etem been hurt and Dietz had a previous record i would say 4 games but looking back as i said earlier it wasn't as bad as i first though

Now lets move on CASE CLOSED

Bingo.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I understand that playoffs in a different game but it baffles me that the Blades won the season series 3-1 and they cant even win a game yet. Hopefully a full CUC tonight and tomorrow will help the Blades get back in the series.

Look for the guy in the blue wig. That will be me haha.

GO BLADES GO!!!

lordstanley
03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I understand that playoffs in a different game but it baffles me that the Blades won the season series 3-1 and they cant even win a game yet. Hopefully a full CUC tonight and tomorrow will help the Blades get back in the series.

GO BLADES GO!!!

Yeah we may have went 3-1 vs them in the regular season we blew them out once they kicked out but 7-2 and we won the other 2 games in extra time they could easily have went 3-1 vs us plus the playoffs are a whole different beast MH has the more vet lineup and are simply playing more diciplined smarter hockey and deserve what they got so far

GO BLADES get the next 2 games

JMoney1988
03-27-2012, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=GBG BLEED BLUE;180677]I understand that playoffs in a different game but it baffles me that the Blades won the season series 3-1 and they cant even win a game yet. Hopefully a full CUC tonight and tomorrow will help the Blades get back in the series.

GO BLADES GO!!![/QUOTE

What section will you be sitting in Lord? I will be the tall skinny guy jumping up in section L everytime we score.......

lordstanley
03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=GBG BLEED BLUE;180677]I understand that playoffs in a different game but it baffles me that the Blades won the season series 3-1 and they cant even win a game yet. Hopefully a full CUC tonight and tomorrow will help the Blades get back in the series.

GO BLADES GO!!![/QUOTE

What section will you be sitting in Lord? I will be the tall skinny guy jumping up in section L everytime we score.......

Not sure yet i still have to go out this afternoon and get some i aint waiting till game time i will risk my luck this afternoon Section L ok i'll look for you lol

sbtatter
03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=JMoney1988;180683]

Not sure yet i still have to go out this afternoon and get some i aint waiting till game time i will risk my luck this afternoon Section L ok i'll look for you lol

Didn't you buy a playoff package to guarantee same seats as your season tickets??

lordstanley
03-27-2012, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=lordstanley;180684]

Didn't you buy a playoff package to guarantee same seats as your season tickets??

Season tickets i wish i made it to 22 out of 36 home games work conflicts i never know my sked from month to month changes alot

I still normally get good seats around section G near the top great viewing there

sbtatter
03-27-2012, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=sbtatter;180689]

Season tickets i wish i made it to 22 out of 36 home games work conflicts i never know my sked from month to month changes alot

I still normally get good seats around section G near the top great viewing there

What's your estimate for attendance tonight?

In Bdn, if I knew I would make 22 games, a ST is cheaper than buying individual tickets, I love our ST prices!

lordstanley
03-27-2012, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=lordstanley;180690]

What's your estimate for attendance tonight?

In Bdn, if I knew I would make 22 games, a ST is cheaper than buying individual tickets, I love our ST prices!

Yeah we have 10 game flex packs i may end up doing that next season a couple times

Attendence guess hmm i will say around 5,200

Trav
03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Looks like there's still some players on this team that don't wanna work hard in the playoffs...just like last year. I don't get this franchise, they know how to win in the regular season but come playoff time they do squat.

I know some of you may think I'm being to critical since some of u think this year doesn't matter and that next year is the year but that doesn't mean the team shouldn't put in a full effort.

They have a history of blowing it when it comes to the playoffs and it's only going to grow unless a major change happens. Something tells me theirs a big problem in the organization somewhere.

Edit: And now the game is tied, imagine that.

lordstanley
03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Blades played great tonight but Etem it turns out can beat a team by himself the guy simply racks it up why didn't he do this in the world juniors lol

Trav
03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Blades need a guy like Etem next year, a guy that will just blow by everyone and score. Seriously the Blades should at least try and recruit some American players. Molleken seems to like to play it safe by listing midget players which is okay but I mean why not go for top end US guys and top end Jr. A players, they do have a good bargaining chip next year, use it.

JMoney1988
03-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I know we were screwed when seimens tried pinch, what the hell was he thinking??????? At least we tied it up

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Blades need a guy like Etem next year, a guy that will just blow by everyone and score. Seriously the Blades should at least try and recruit some American players. Molleken seems to like to play it safe by listing midget players which is okay but I mean why not go for top end US guys and top end Jr. A players, they do have a good bargaining chip next year, use it.

I agree. The Blades did have Aaron Badder from Minniesota I think. He was not that bad, but yes. Emerson Etem would be a good guy to get but I don't see him coming back to the WHL but if he does Anahiem would want him on a championship team and the Blades will hopefully be that next year.

A lot of work to be done though.

dodywood4ever
03-27-2012, 11:12 PM
I know we were screwed when seimens tried pinch, what the hell was he thinking??????? At least we tied it up

Man was it a bad pinch. Too bad thought he played a pretty solid game before that. Disappointed on how the Blades came out in OT after they really played physical and aggressive the last ten mins. Then came out flat in OT in the biggest game of the year? Odd.

curwie
03-27-2012, 11:18 PM
I agree. The Blades did have Aaron Badder from Minniesota I think. He was not that bad, but yes. Emerson Etem would be a good guy to get but I don't see him coming back to the WHL but if he does Anahiem would want him on a championship team and the Blades will hopefully be that next year.

A lot of work to be done though.

Ty Rattie will be back unless he makes the blues and you have to wonder if our sights would be set on him. Maybe a guy like Shinkaruk as well.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Ty Rattie will be back unless he makes the blues and you have to wonder if our sights would be set on him. Maybe a guy like Shinkaruk as well.

Yes those guys are all candidates for the Blades. I just don't know if I want them to trade away 4 or 5 potential players like in the Brayden Schenn deal. we need a solid top 4 defence and Thrower,Siemens,Dietz and Cox are probably those guys.

Goaltending is set I think.

curwie
03-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes those guys are all candidates for the Blades. I just don't know if I want them to trade away 4 or 5 potential players like in the Brayden Schenn deal. we need a solid top 4 defence and Thrower,Siemens,Dietz and Cox are probably those guys.

Goaltending is set I think.

I know what you mean, and I use to feel the same way, but you HAVE to pull out all the stops for next year. Even if it means a 2 year rebuild in 2014 and 2015.

lordstanley
03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Well we let 3 players from the oposition beat us in 3 games Etem Shinkaruk snd Bunz hmm i have no comment

Trav
03-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Well like I said, the team does well in the regular season the last few years but when it comes to the playoffs they choke big time. I don't get this team at all. There better be a lot of changes next year cuz the team we got now aint even close to being a Cup contender.

By the way I don't blame Makarov for any of this, sure he may have let in some bad goals but he saved the Blades butt so many times this year. Molleken played him way to much, good going Coach.

mjw22
03-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Well like I said, the team does well in the regular season the last few years but when it comes to the playoffs they choke big time. I don't get this team at all. There better be a lot of changes next year cuz the team we got now aint even close to being a Cup contender.

By the way I don't blame Makarov for any of this, sure he may have let in some bad goals but he saved the Blades butt so many times this year. Molleken played him way to much, good going Coach.

New coach ???

longtimejrfan
03-28-2012, 07:29 AM

Not a snowballs chance in hell will Shinkaruk be a Blade.

Trav
03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
New coach ???

To be honest I think the GM/Head Coach era in the hockey world had come to an end. Molleken should just b the GM and a new coach should b hired, someone new to the team.

mjw22
03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
To be honest I think the GM/Head Coach era in the hockey world had come to an end. Molleken should just b the GM and a new coach should b hired, someone new to the team.

Maybe time has caught Lorne based on last 2 seasons play off results. Crucial year next year.

curwie
03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Not a snowballs chance in hell will Shinkaruk be a Blade.

Thanks for you highly insightful reply manager Brad McEwen

Anythings possible.

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Anything is possible for sure also Med Hat will probably be rebuilding next year cause lets face it they are a below 500% without Etem and Bunz

SectionNDeserter
03-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Medicine Hat isn't going to trade an 18 year old that scored almost 50 goals in his 17 year old season, and that is likely to be back for another full season after next--so he isn't going anywhere next season. I can see there being a possibility in 2 seasons at the trade deadline, when he is 19 and likely not returning as a 20 year old.

Tiger Trauma
03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Even if the Tigers finish dead last next season, the blades would have to give up twice what they paid for schenn for the Tigers to even consider it. Shinkaruk has a potential 2 solid years left unless the nhl plucks him out sooner.

Plus trading shinkaruk would conflict with thier longer term plans.

I think the Tigers will still be a playoff team next season, and in 2 years they will be a force to be reckoned with moreso if Shinkaruk plays his 19 yr old season with the Tigers and not in the nhl. Still lots can change though.

longtimejrfan
03-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for you highly insightful reply manager Brad McEwen

Anythings possible.

Shinkaruk isn't even draft eligible this year. He won't be going to Sakatoon now, next year or the year after.

curwie
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Shinkaruk isn't even draft eligible this year. He won't be going to Sakatoon now, next year or the year after.

Hahaha okay that was much clearer!:p

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Wow crystal clear now thank god there GM posts here to tell us he wont be going anywhere

Will he come here probably not i will say 95% chance he doesn't but like we said anything is possible learn to read before you guys go awol wow

longtimejrfan
03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Wow crystal clear now thank god there GM posts here to tell us he wont be going anywhere

Will he come here probably not i will say 95% chance he doesn't but like we said anything is possible learn to read before you guys go awol wow

You don't have to be a gm in this league, or any other junior league for that matter, to figure out that a 17 yr old that scored 49 goals this year and isn't NHL draft eligible until the 2013 year won't be moved to another team. And it's 100% chance that it won't happen. Kase Closed.

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Case back open nothing is a 100% you should know that if the Blades offered a deal that med hat could not refuse they would do it in a heart beet

Now to ring it through your thick skull will he get traded here no probably not chances are very weak but anything can happen

Trav
03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
The Tigers can keep Shinkaruk, the guy is to friggin cocky, the Blades don't need that. The team went downhill after they got Schenn, it was a mistake getting him. With Shinkaruk's attitude, least from a visitors fan's perspective, it would be going down that road again.

The guy has some skill but it'll be interesting to see how he does without his pal Etem next year.

The Blades are better off going after a couple solid scorers, they don't have to be Stars but guys that know how to put the puck in the net and put in a FULL effort every nite. Giving up a lot for one star player won't be enough. They need more then one player to make a difference next year in my opinion.

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Pretty boring first period i hope someone has a stop watch on Etem wow he is playing a tonn he is gonna be gassed next round

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Well the score is Etem 1 Blades 0 after 2 periods Bunz has played good too Etem has been in the last 11 Tigers goals and has scored there last 4 The guy is unreal i really haven't noticed any other guys other than shink etem and Bunz the last 2 games at some point they will need some depth in these playoffs

Trav
03-28-2012, 08:26 PM
I doubt it, the Blades haven't been able to stop him at all so he should be fine next round, and again another short handed goal tonite. Powerplay sure does STINK!!! Good coaching.

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Looking forward to hear what Lorne's annual excuses are for this years flop should be a doozy

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Well now were done looks like the Blades just went for a floating skate in this period

longtimejrfan
03-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Looking forward to hear what Lorne's annual excuses are for this years flop should be a doozy
With the Blades looking like they will once again flame out in the playoffs it seems as if Molleken can't get his teams to perform when it counts. Question I have is, do Blade fans think he would remove himself as coach with the Blades hosting next years Memorial Cup.

Trav
03-28-2012, 09:09 PM
With the Blades looking like they will once again flame out in the playoffs it seems as if Molleken can't get his teams to perform when it counts. Question I have is, do Blade fans think he would remove himself as coach with the Blades hosting next years Memorial Cup.

He should but I doubt he will. something big has to happen.

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Alot of work needs to be done to this team we are nowhere near a mem cup contender as it stands right now

Western Elite
03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
A well deserved series win by a very good, under-rated hockey club in Medicine Hat. They have a chance to go very far this season, led by Bunz, Etem, a rock solid defence and some decent supporting cast.

As for the Blades, they can now look and focus on what should be a very exciting season. There will be many moves made to bring in the best talent. That in itself should be exciting.

The focus was not on this season after the Memorial Cup was announced. No further moves were made. We also don't know how seriously hurt players like Thrower, Pufahl, Burns, Siemens etc still are.

Let the trade speculation begin!

all this banter
03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
i wonder if their is anyone in the media industry has the guts to ask Molleken if he will step down and just be the GM ? I agree this team has no chance to make it to next years cup final let alone win it...or better yet memorial cup...

Joe Hallenback
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Lack of star power up front. That is a really solid team without any superstars currently on it.

Tune up for next year but they will HAVE to add at least 2 star forwards if they want to compete. I am talking about World Junior players.

Trav
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
It'll be interesting to see who the overagers are, I think the only lock should be Josh Nicholls. Collins I doubt will be kept and Cox well even though he had one of the top plus minus's which surprised me, he gave up the puck way to much.

Should be an interestng off season.....u would think.

auch07
03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
If what I heard last night is true the Blades will have a very hard time next season as a few key guys that they are banking on returning will not be. I like many did not expect them to go far this season but I sure as heck expected more of a fight than they put up against the Tigers.

As for Lorne perhaps it is time to step down from behind the bench and focus on BUILDING this team for next season as best he can. Given his playoff track record one has to wonder if he is capable of being successful in the playoffs. Regular season he does well obviously but when it comes time to adapt in playoffs his teams continue with the same gameplan over and over when it clearly isn't working.

Joe Hallenback
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
What is your draft pick situation like for next season? I know you have some decent 95s/96s to deal.

How about Stockl for Walker?

wango tango
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
i see things simpler for next season.

when i look at the lineup what's really missing?

the team needs to add offense up front, and a powerplay quarterback.

what killed the team during these playoffs?

1. poor play from the point on the powerplay, or even strength on the blueline in the offensive zone.

2. the lack of elite level scoring at forward.

too many players at forward or defense trying to make plays currently above their skill level, causing mistakes that ended up in the net, when adding just a couple of higher end players would have the others playing in roles they are much more suited to and comfortable in.

curwie
03-29-2012, 12:35 PM
If what I heard last night is true the Blades will have a very hard time next season as a few key guys that they are banking on returning will not be. I like many did not expect them to go far this season but I sure as heck expected more of a fight than they put up against the Tigers.

As for Lorne perhaps it is time to step down from behind the bench and focus on BUILDING this team for next season as best he can. Given his playoff track record one has to wonder if he is capable of being successful in the playoffs. Regular season he does well obviously but when it comes time to adapt in playoffs his teams continue with the same gameplan over and over when it clearly isn't working.

Nicholls?

lordstanley
03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Nicholls?

Well the Leafs have yet to sign Nicholls and i think the deadline is June ist so if that doesn't happen he will be back for sure

To me i would keep Nicholls and Cox get rid of Collins and add a Cody Sylvester type as the third 20 also add a Ryan Murray type for the blueline and 2 19 years olds players like Ty Rattie and McNeil

Now i don't mean they will add these players just the type of guys i feel they will need to contend

auch07
03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
I didn't go into it much with him but the conversation was with a parent of one of the Blade's. He did mention Makarov though as being one of those guys which I truly hope isnt the case as not only has he been a treat to watch it would be rather scary putting next years team on the shoulders of Moodie even though I suspect he will be a big part of next years team as well.

bobsaget
03-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Well the Leafs have yet to sign Nicholls and i think the deadline is June ist so if that doesn't happen he will be back for sure

To me i would keep Nicholls and Cox get rid of Collins and add a Cody Sylvester type as the third 20 also add a Ryan Murray type for the blueline and 2 19 years olds players like Ty Rattie and McNeil

Now i don't mean they will add these players just the type of guys i feel they will need to contend

Oh God you aren't getting Rattie or Ryan Murray. Blades are a friggin joke and continue to be. Portland will still be contenders next season and Murray might even be in the NHL. Why can't you Blades fans just stop? Your team is bloody terrible no matter what their regular season looks like.

lordstanley
03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh God you aren't getting Rattie or Ryan Murray. Blades are a friggin joke and continue to be. Portland will still be contenders next season and Murray might even be in the NHL. Why can't you Blades fans just stop? Your team is bloody terrible no matter what their regular season looks like.

Wow i thought i maid it clear when i said we need those types of players hmm didn't think i said we are gonna go for them just another troll wanting to instigate crap

curwie
03-29-2012, 09:41 PM

Another highly intelligent post from the internet tough guy.

curwie
03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
I didn't go into it much with him but the conversation was with a parent of one of the Blade's. He did mention Makarov though as being one of those guys which I truly hope isnt the case as not only has he been a treat to watch it would be rather scary putting next years team on the shoulders of Moodie even though I suspect he will be a big part of next years team as well.

I remember who you were sitting beside last year so it must be the same person. That's an interesting thought. Is he home sick or something? Where would he go? He isn't good enough for the NHL yet, and at 19 years old he'll be to young for the AHL so his options are pretty limited.

curwie
03-29-2012, 09:49 PM

I agree

SectionNDeserter
03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
He isn't good enough for the NHL yet, and at 19 years old he'll be to young for the AHL so his options are pretty limited.He can still go to the KHL, and play for real money, though whoever drafts him this summer might have something to say about that.

curwie
03-29-2012, 11:15 PM
He can still go to the KHL, and play for real money, though whoever drafts him this summer might have something to say about that.

I never even considered the KHL. I guess that's a possibility.

mjw22
03-29-2012, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=lordstanley;180847]Well the Leafs have yet to sign Nicholls and i think the deadline is June ist so if that doesn't happen he will be back for sure

Now i don't mean they will add these players just the type of guys i feel they will need to contend[/QUOTE

I was sure the Blades would have made it 6 wow. LS tell Lorne to get some picks and prospects and call Miller at the deadline next year about #4 . Providing the NHL doesn't rain on your Memorial Cup Parade by calling a lock out. That would make a lot of teams instant contenders.

wango tango
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Providing the NHL doesn't rain on your Memorial Cup Parade by calling a lock out. That would make a lot of teams instant contenders.

it would also mean some players who would otherwise be in the nhl, might be available. i just hope the nhl and nhlpa isn't so stupid they would risk another long term shutdown.

i don't understand how so many here say josh nicholls should be back next season. based on last season and playoffs, this season and playoffs, nicholls could use a fresh start somewhere else. to me he is the personification of plays well in the regular season, disappears in the playoffs.

a change would do him good, and could with a pick get a decent player back in return.

or is too much being asked of him? could he be a more effective player for the blades with some new players brought in, so he doesn't have to shoulder so much of the load?

auch07
03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Nicholls vanished really in the last 10 games of regular season. Coasting around instead of working hard to get the puck. For the calibre of player he (is/shouldbe/was) he lost a lot of battles and his hustle was brutal. I have to question if he was at 100% over last while as if he was he would be one of the first ones I would say bye to this offseason regardless of if the leafs were to sign and send him back.

wango tango
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
here's the lineup from the playoffs.

stransky-olsen-nicholls
burns-sutter-paradis
collins-benson-trask
zajac-mcevoy-stovin

siemens-thrower
pufahl-schmidt
dietz-cox

makarov
johnson

the lineup minus this seasons 20's

stransky-olsen-nicholls
*****-sutter-*******
collins-benson-*****
zajac-mcevoy-stovin

siemens-thrower
pufahl-schmidt
dietz-cox

makarov
johnson

the lineup minus my deletions and the 20's

stransky-olsen-nicholls
*****-sutter-*******
*******-benson-*****
zajac-******-stovin

siemens-thrower
pufahl-schmidt
dietz-cox

makarov

that's at least six new players, nicholls and benson are borderline, if they're also moved, eight new players. lots of talk about adding a different defenseman or defensemen. could be as many as 10 new players in the lineup for next seasons team.

curwie
03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Nicholls vanished really in the last 10 games of regular season. Coasting around instead of working hard to get the puck. For the calibre of player he (is/shouldbe/was) he lost a lot of battles and his hustle was brutal. I have to question if he was at 100% over last while as if he was he would be one of the first ones I would say bye to this offseason regardless of if the leafs were to sign and send him back.

I have always said he plays scared out there. He doesn't like to get hit.

He is a heck of a talent though. Its a shame really.

lordstanley
03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
All Nicholls needs is a proven center to play with him, look at last season he had 85 points as a 18 year old led the Blades on a stacked team at that age he played with Viedensky, this season he played with young Olsen and Benson who isn't a proven scorer he still had 30 goals, so if we add a legit center to play with him there is no reason why Nicholls can't get up tot he 100 point mark, as a 20 i say keep him

auch07
03-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Still gotta question the guys work ethic if he was 100%. It was really evident in the final home game of regular season that he was just mailing it in so to speak. Not that he was the only one but you cant have that from one of if not your best player. That is why I am not sure if he was at 100% the last while cause it just doesnt seem like him based on his work over the past couple seasons.

lordstanley
03-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Still gotta question the guys work ethic if he was 100%. It was really evident in the final home game of regular season that he was just mailing it in so to speak. Not that he was the only one but you cant have that from one of if not your best player. That is why I am not sure if he was at 100% the last while cause it just doesnt seem like him based on his work over the past couple seasons.

Well you never know the injury he suffered from was a MCL tear and those can be a bugger to heal from so we'll never know, i say bring him back if he is having a so so season by the trade deadline then maybe you trim the fat then

Landon
03-30-2012, 03:05 PM

My prediction LS, Blades get bombed 4 games straight. Defenceman Siemans, Thrower, Dietz are all gonna take bad penalties that will lead to goals which will cost the blades games. Dietz takes selfish suspension on slash to a premiere player. Etem is gonna make Seimans pay in overtime because he choked on the pinch Tigers win 3 to 2. Thower is gonna cough up the puck and Etem is gonna split the defence and score 2nd shorty in game 4. Forwards, Sutter will yap and eventually take dumb penalties leading to more goals. Big gun Nicholls will not show up for 3rd playoff run in a row and Markov will be Etem-ized for 12 points. Blades will not have a single player with a plus.
Bunz gets a shutout even though Blades had a 5 on 3 powerplay.
That is a visitors prediction, good luck next year because you guys are gonna need it!!!!!!

wango tango
03-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Well you never know the injury he suffered from was a MCL tear and those can be a bugger to heal from so we'll never know, i say bring him back if he is having a so so season by the trade deadline then maybe you trim the fat then

two years in a row now nicholls has disappeared in the playoffs. that's not a knee problem, i have no doubt about nicholls talent, i question his heart.

deal nicholls before the 20 deadline. hopefully a fresh start, with new teammates, a different coach, can get him playing his best in march instead of november.

sbtatter
03-30-2012, 03:40 PM
siemens-thrower
pufahl-schmidt
dietz-cox

Not being churlish, but I don't think that defence is anywhere close to being what you need for a Mem Cup team

lordstanley
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
My prediction LS, Blades get bombed 4 games straight. Defenceman Siemans, Thrower, Dietz are all gonna take bad penalties that will lead to goals which will cost the blades games. Dietz takes selfish suspension on slash to a premiere player. Etem is gonna make Seimans pay in overtime because he choked on the pinch Tigers win 3 to 2. Thower is gonna cough up the puck and Etem is gonna split the defence and score 2nd shorty in game 4. Forwards, Sutter will yap and eventually take dumb penalties leading to more goals. Big gun Nicholls will not show up for 3rd playoff run in a row and Markov will be Etem-ized for 12 points. Blades will not have a single player with a plus.
Bunz gets a shutout even though Blades had a 5 on 3 powerplay.
That is a visitors prediction, good luck next year because you guys are gonna need it!!!!!!

To bad you didn't say this before the series started it would have made you look like less of a troll im just glad we at least get the chance to choke or get some games after the regular season instead of missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons like the Raiders

lordstanley
03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
siemens-thrower
pufahl-schmidt
dietz-cox

Not being churlish, but I don't think that defence is anywhere close to being what you need for a Mem Cup team

Well they were all still pretty young and i agree we do need to add 1 more elite guy like a Murray

our defense had 4 18 year olds 1 19 year old and 1 17 year old they will all be a year older and alot better 3 of the top 4 guys will be high NHL draft picks too

Landon
03-30-2012, 07:31 PM
To bad you didn't say this before the series started it would have made you look like less of a troll im just glad we at least get the chance to choke or get some games after the regular season instead of missing the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons like the Raiders
It is to bad the Raiders did not make the playoffs because I know they would have given the Tigers more competition than your Blades. If I were a blade fan i would be concerned after choking 2 years in a row with basically the same group. Blades with the same team will be out 4 straight again next year waiting for a memorial cup tournament. I am not trolling just stating some general hockey facts.

lordstanley
03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
It is to bad the Raiders did not make the playoffs because I know they would have given the Tigers more competition than your Blades. If I were a blade fan i would be concerned after choking 2 years in a row with basically the same group. Blades with the same team will be out 4 straight again next year waiting for a memorial cup tournament. I am not trolling just stating some general hockey facts.

If you keep yapping eventually people will feed you, same lineup as last year ? hmm ok we lost from last year schenn hamilton viedensky dziurzynski elliott zahn and stanford lol

Dude get your facts straight you are looking like a tool, and no the Raiders would not give them a better battle cause they missed the playoffs for a reason, there team does not buy into team defense maybe they will someday with a better coach, i hope this is the last i ever hear from your dumbass

auch07
03-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Never thought I would say this to a Lordstanley post but where is the "Like" button? Landon stop trying to be a douchebag cause it doesn't suit you. Anyone with half a brain knows that this years team overachieved at the start of the season. To try and compare this years team to last years team proves you are not being realistic and just trying to be an ass.

As far as the Raider's go I said it all season to a couple buds that are Raiders fan's...on paper I truly expected a lot more out of them. For some reason it did not happen. To a point you could say the same thing about the Blades in both the Reg season and in particular the playoffs. Unfortunately in both cases I suspect it is and was coaching issues. PA has struggled for a long time and the Blades do not adapt to playoff hockey. Lorne's track record in the playoffs is evidence enough for that.

I truly hoped we would hear that he was stepping down and that a new coach would be brought in for next season but unfortunately that is not the case. There is a lot of changes that need to be made for this coming season's team to be successful beyond the regular season and the first needs to be with Lorne's coaching style in the playoffs. The teams gotta adapt when things are not working instead of plugging away with the same gameplan over and over when its not working. Moving guys around doesnt change the outcome when its the systems that are not working and he needs to figure that out.

Dwight Schrute
03-31-2012, 01:03 PM
What assets do the blades have left to deal for elite talent like McNeill or Murray

curwie
03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
What assets do the blades have left to deal for elite talent like McNeill or Murray

According to Mollenken in the paper last week,we will be making lots of changes, and "we have the assets to do it"

Fight Guy
03-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Should be exciting to see what the Blades do for their Mem Cup run. When Regina had it, the Pats brought in some amazing players. It was too bad they got matched against a Calgary and Brendl team they struggled against all season. Most exciting Pats game I have ever seen was Regina vs Val'dor in the semi final...or at least one with the most on the line. They proved they belonged there, even after being ousted first round. Though if they had won, it would have been the back door, but it would have been amazing. They were the only team that was able to beat an incredible Red Deer team in the tourney.

Either way, it should be very exciting in S'toon next season! I'm considering getting tickets for the tournament next year. Don't know why I wouldn't when it's only two hours away!

curwie
03-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Should be exciting to see what the Blades do for their Mem Cup run. When Regina had it, the Pats brought in some amazing players. It was too bad they got matched against a Calgary and Brendl team they struggled against all season. Most exciting Pats game I have ever seen was Regina vs Val'dor in the semi final...or at least one with the most on the line. They proved they belonged there, even after being ousted first round. Though if they had won, it would have been the back door, but it would have been amazing. They were the only team that was able to beat an incredible Red Deer team in the tourney.

Either way, it should be very exciting in S'toon next season! I'm considering getting tickets for the tournament next year. Don't know why I wouldn't when it's only two hours away!

I am also excited to fight guy! I've gotten over the disappointing performance against Medicine Hat already and Lorne Molloken's recent comments have really made me think we are going to do everything in our power to be competitive! I hope we deal every last pick we have trying to build a contender. Its a once or twice in a life time deal hosting a tournament like this. You have to sell the farm trying to win it.

lordstanley
04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Well probably only another month or so before we see our team to slightly change pretty sure after the playoffs and bantam draft are done Lorne will be busy on the Phone should be exciting

JMoney1988
04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I didn't know where to put this, but congrats to Braden Holtby on stopping 44/45 shots in a 2-1 victory tonight, man did Washington ever play bad.......................

lordstanley
04-20-2012, 12:56 PM
I didn't know where to put this, but congrats to Braden Holtby on stopping 44/45 shots in a 2-1 victory tonight, man did Washington ever play bad.......................

Holtby is use to this he made bad Blades teams look decent lol still 1 of my favorite Blade goalies of all time