PDA

View Full Version : thank you

grainbear
03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Well, another season has come to an end and even though we once again miss the playoffs we have seen some great hockey in town. Like all of you I honestly expected us to make the playoffs. And in hindsight the loss of all those games in a row while our youngsters were learning what our coaches were attempting to teach, sucks. But these youngsters have come a long way and as Brad Curl the Hitmans and our former broadcaster stated on his show the other night from Calgary, is this team is going to unbelievable for the next few years. thanks ketlo and sutter and also braes for the memories. Good luck as you move on . Can hardlly wait for the draft and what changes will be made with the Euro and 5 now to be 20 year olds. Who stays and who goes.

shushu
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
also heard that the league was just waiting for the end of the season to announce it.....just rumors of coarse but there is a long list of buyers from what ive heard.....

2speak4all
03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
also heard that the league was just waiting for the end of the season to announce it.....just rumors of coarse but there is a long list of buyers from what ive heard.....

that Preston had an offer to join the LAKings with Sutter again? Whether true or not is unknown for sure; whether he goes or not is yet to be seen; changes in the coaching staff all around could be interesting. Could be a few changes in store. Selling the team to a private investor would be the #1 smart decision that could be done!

I dare say that Lethbridge could be a very strong team in years to come with all the potential draft talent. But once playoffs are made, being able to keep that talent coming without dropping off again in 5 years because we don't get the top draft picks needs to be addressed also. That is how we got into this mess. Drafting is one good thing, but picking up and trading for talent also needs to be continued. Preston didn't do too much of that. He made trades for mediocre players, but sometimes you have to pay to get high end talent and that has to be utilized, IMO, as well.

Looking forward to years to come for some fun and positive commenting on this board again.

blacksheep
03-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Er selling club. Get ov e r itN '

Notsofast. It is not simple to just take an offer and sell. Legal processes involved. If not folowed breaking provincial law. Shareholders have final say via vote ifshareholders say no nothing can be done. Stays community owned. There are always sharks circling when the think prey is wounded. League can't make shareholders do squat. They have no authority as leth hurricanes are a separate entity. Would be like Sears telling Zellers th e y h a d to sell to the best offer. Ain't so

2speak4all
04-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Er selling club. Get ov e r itN '

Notsofast. It is not simple to just take an offer and sell. Legal processes involved. If not folowed breaking provincial law. Shareholders have final say via vote ifshareholders say no nothing can be done. Stays community owned. There are always sharks circling when the think prey is wounded. League can't make shareholders do squat. They have no authority as leth hurricanes are a separate entity. Would be like Sears telling Zellers th e y h a d to sell to the best offer. Ain't so

Did Chilliwack have a choice when being sold? I think if the League wants to make some changes, for the benefit of the team, players, and Lethbridge, they can put a lot of pressure on the Board to sell, in order to ensure profits at the door, player development, and to get a team up to league standards.

I don't see any changes coming around this year, but I do think they will pressure the Board to show profits or there could be some forced changes.

blacksheep
04-09-2012, 06:37 AM
The league can put all the pressure it wants on the board but the the board does not have the authority to sell it. The board has the authority to receive offers but they MUST be presented to the shareholders who may or may not wish to sell the team. This is the LAW and this is how the team is set up under the companies act. GET IT???? Chilliwack on the other hand was privately owned. Big difference. :bounce::confused:

mjw22
04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
The league can put all the pressure it wants on the board but the the board does not have the authority to sell it. The board has the authority to receive offers but they MUST be presented to the shareholders who may or may not wish to sell the team. This is the LAW and this is how the team is set up under the companies act. GET IT???? Chilliwack on the other hand was privately owned. Big difference. :bounce::confused:

IF the league asked them to sell and were turned down all they have to do is revoke the franchise. It is in the WHL constitution the league owns the franchise rights and can revoke them with a league vote. It has been done before (Billings ) but I doubt that Lethbridge is a concern more like SC & PG. So what you stated about the LAW doesnt apply here all sports leagues own the franchise rights thats how they control the teams and their conduct. So if your team is not meeting the league standards they can force you to sell relocate or simply disband your franchise.

blacksheep
04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
They can revoke but they can't force any shareholder to vote one way or another to sell or keep the club. Even if they revoke they still require permission from the shareholders to sell it to another entity. The club is a clearly established entity in the province and as such operates under the auspices of the companies act of alberta, not the companies act of the western hockey league. The league has its own articles which implies how the league will operate. With a community based team the shareholders wishes come first.

mjw22
04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
They can revoke but they can't force any shareholder to vote one way or another to sell or keep the club. Even if they revoke they still require permission from the shareholders to sell it to another entity. The club is a clearly established entity in the province and as such operates under the auspices of the companies act of alberta, not the companies act of the western hockey league. The league has its own articles which implies how the league will operate. With a community based team the shareholders wishes come first.

You are way wrong on this. They revoke the franchise then it has no value it is dormant. Just because its community owned makes no difference.So if push came to shove the share holders would have to choose between selling or owning nothing . You may want to get updated on how league constitutions are set up. With the WHL the league comes FIRST that is how and why the bylaws are set up to protect the league as a whole from poorly run or mismanaged franchises. Portland is another that was forced to sell. All teams sign off on these bylaws when they are awarded franchises . you own the team the league owns the franchise and the bylaws have to be met if not you lose your franchise and its players.

blacksheep
04-10-2012, 07:52 AM
The shareholders need to sign off whether, revoked, sold, suspended or whatever. Portland once again is a private enterprise. Big difference. You and I agree to disagree. The league can provide direction but cannot twist the arms of over 1200 shareholders to get what they want. I'm a shareholder and have the right to exercise my vote on various things, one being to sell or disband the club, approve financials at an AGM, etc. This shareholder right cannot be circumvented and this right is clearly indicated when a share purchase occurs. I can purchase more shares today. i.e. the league can't tell them to stop!!!!! The only way that can happen is if the club got a cease and desist order from the Province and there is no such thing on the horizon.

Crush Kill Destroy
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
If the league revokes a franchise, the entity that owned the right to the franchise still exists, but no longer has a team as an asset.

The "shareholders" still have the ability to vote, but the votes pertain to their entity, not to a team that has ceased to exist. The league can simply sell or relocate a revoked franchise, or award a "new" franchise. No voting by an entity with a revoked franchise required on any of those options.

The entity may have the right to file a lawsuit against the WHL regarding the revokation of the franchise, but I'm fairly sure the wording in the franchise agreement provides the league with a strong legal position regarding their ability to revoke.

shushu
04-10-2012, 11:58 PM
The shareholders need to sign off whether, revoked, sold, suspended or whatever. Portland once again is a private enterprise. Big difference. You and I agree to disagree. The league can provide direction but cannot twist the arms of over 1200 shareholders to get what they want. I'm a shareholder and have the right to exercise my vote on various things, one being to sell or disband the club, approve financials at an AGM, etc. This shareholder right cannot be circumvented and this right is clearly indicated when a share purchase occurs. I can purchase more shares today. i.e. the league can't tell them to stop!!!!! The only way that can happen is if the club got a cease and desist order from the Province and there is no such thing on the horizon.

the dub can pull ANY team away from its owners, look at it this way if dairy queen is unhappy with one of its stores it has the right to shut down that store because it owns the rights to the name..the whl is the same way, it basicly owns the rights to that franchise and can do whats best 4 it privately owned or not..it sound like you love the feeling of being able to run something that isn't yours.................from what ive heard this team is up for sale and weather you like it or not dick you have no choice.............i just hope we still have a team in town next year...............ps......go moosejaw aka cam braes...kick some ass and good luck from all of us in the bridge on the way to the mem cup.........................

blacksheep
04-11-2012, 07:44 AM
.from what ive heard this team is up for sale and weather you like it or not dick you have no choice.............i just hope we still have a team in town next year.... Okay ranting boy, kick a few garbage cans while ur at it. lol.

Well what you have heard is B.S. No I don't want to run the team, never did and never will, just a supporter. I would bet that you are not a shareholder and if you are I challenge you to go buy 100 more to "help the team out". Frankly, and without calling YOU a "dick" you have no idea what you are talking about. There is a process whether (note correct spelling) you and others like it or not. My comments are for those that think it is easy, it is not. Whether the team is sold, shut down, revoked is irrelevant. The process must be followed which is at some point the shareholders will have to provide a vote. The laws of the Province cannot be just ignored because of the wishes of the WHL. If an offer is received and the board approves it must be taken to the shareholders for ratification one way or the other. I'm sure the league would be consulted about the offer and would offer consult on the validity of the offer. The board having been duly elected under the bylaws to represent and run the club on behalf of the shareholders are under no obligation to take each or any offer to the shareholders. Pretty simple to me. If the league revokes and moves the franchise then there is the matter of the cash from the franchise whereby the shareholders will have the vote to determine what to with the cash. That is the way it was written oh so long ago. :):):):)

here for the long run
04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
The laws of Minnesota allowed NFL players a loop hole in the star cap situation (delayed their suspension that the NFL sanctioned). Not sure who is right or wrong but Provincial law should take jurisdiction. Just because you are part of a “franchise” doesn’t mean the franchise can ignore the Provincial/State law in place. If they did, I am sure the City and share holders could look for legal recourse? Either way this team is not going anywhere.

mjw22
04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
.from what ive heard this team is up for sale and weather you like it or not dick you have no choice.............i just hope we still have a team in town next year.... Okay ranting boy, kick a few garbage cans while ur at it. lol.

Well what you have heard is B.S. No I don't want to run the team, never did and never will, just a supporter. I would bet that you are not a shareholder and if you are I challenge you to go buy 100 more to "help the team out". Frankly, and without calling YOU a "dick" you have no idea what you are talking about. There is a process whether (note correct spelling) you and others like it or not. My comments are for those that think it is easy, it is not. Whether the team is sold, shut down, revoked is irrelevant. The process must be followed which is at some point the shareholders will have to provide a vote. The laws of the Province cannot be just ignored because of the wishes of the WHL. If an offer is received and the board approves it must be taken to the shareholders for ratification one way or the other. I'm sure the league would be consulted about the offer and would offer consult on the validity of the offer. The board having been duly elected under the bylaws to represent and run the club on behalf of the shareholders are under no obligation to take each or any offer to the shareholders. Pretty simple to me. If the league revokes and moves the franchise then there is the matter of the cash from the franchise whereby the shareholders will have the vote to determine what to with the cash. That is the way it was written oh so long ago. :):):):)

You may want to get some facts or you just look like a shareholder who thinks his vote will stop the whl :(

blacksheep
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
I do have the facts. Actually I have them in my hand. Your comment is like trowing shot at a wall to see what sticks. WHL may or may not be stopped but they cannot wilfully break the existing laws of the province under which the club is a legally registered entity with shareholders. If the WHL wants a different scenario for the club they will have to do it within the current confines of existing articles , their's and the clubs. Club's come first

mjw22
04-14-2012, 09:38 PM
I do have the facts. Actually I have them in my hand. Your comment is like trowing shot at a wall to see what sticks. WHL may or may not be stopped but they cannot wilfully break the existing laws of the province under which the club is a legally registered entity with shareholders. If the WHL wants a different scenario for the club they will have to do it within the current confines of existing articles , their's and the clubs. Club's come first

You have the WHL constitution and bylaws interesting then by all means it must be true :o

blacksheep
04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
No smart ass in Moose Jaw actually as a shareholder of the club I have their articles and as such they operate under the confines of these. The WHL constitution has references and preferences, but they can no more dictate to a community owned team than they could to a private enterprise.

grainbear
04-16-2012, 06:38 PM
The key concept here is that the current management is being active and yes we do not have a business manager officially in place we have some board members who are doing a great job in a volunteer capacity.Until the short list is interviewed and the decision is made . I for one am pleased with the latest addition on the business side and if the right decision is made we will see the fortune of this club turn the corner. Progress was made on the ice the last two years and now the attention is focusing on the marketing end . Hockey in this town is not dead, and with the right business people and the progress continuing on the ice as Robson said at the draft lottery we will not be there next year. That means playoffs and so lets great ready and make the decisions to buy your tickets now while they are still cheap, otherwise you are going to be sorry two years from now when the best seat you can get for the playoffs will be in AA

huracan
04-16-2012, 10:04 PM
No smart ass in Moose Jaw actually as a shareholder of the club I have their articles and as such they operate under the confines of these. The WHL constitution has references and preferences, but they can no more dictate to a community owned team than they could to a private enterprise.

Just thought I would make an account to let you know how silly you all are. And blacksheep is right by the way. And please don't rant about how this is my first comment. Just shut up.

mjw22
04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Just thought I would make an account to let you know how silly you all are. And blacksheep is right by the way. And please don't rant about how this is my first comment. Just shut up.

Ya right and im robisons brother. If the league wants to revoke your franchise all they need is a unanimous vote and all youre left with is a empty building. The whl is the franchise rights holder each team is a franchisee don't meet league standards bye just like in the real world.Community owned teams are no different than privately owned teams when it comes to meeting league standards.

shushu
04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
i dont want to loose our team, but this teams cash has dried up to put it in simple terms, and from what ive heard the team hasn't even started to pay back the 2 and a half million that was their end of the reno's..so bottom line is weather or not the league can yank the frachise or not ( YES THEY CAN ) where exactly do people think all this cash is going to come from?.....blacksheep, i didn't call you a dick i called you dick, a well known canes guy that love to put his head in the ground and think every thing in canes land is merry as long as we have control of a failing hockey team. right there is the problem with this team, it is run buy fanatics that know nothing about hockey and apparently even less about finances..and before anybody tells me to run for the board and make a differants. please dont, because i know about as much as the board does about running a team which is still nothing.........

grainbear
04-17-2012, 06:21 PM
There has been a lot of comments about cash flow. The fact of the matter is that as long as the banker is not concerned and about to call or seriously impact their operating loans this is not a problem. At this time or year ,you don,t have room and board, bus expenses, and the purchase of sticks and so on. You have the wage costs for staff and rent costs to the City but even then as the major tenant of the Enmax owned by the City of Lethbridge ,they would certainly wait for payments until the revenue stream starts this fall. Remember they are also a shareholder as well various companies and individuals who have purchased shares to keep this entity alive. Yes, you also have some that purchased this as an investment but I think the vast majority are not viewing this as the golden handshake. The president is an accountant and know that he has looked at the books and not simply as an outsider. Give it a rest guys. Let's move on to something more positive like what will do in the bantam draft. Who is going to be our 20 year olds that stay and what happens in the Import draft. Maybe something on what Sutter, Ketlo and Cam have done and are doing . When it comes to push and shove, our opinion does not matter. It is only the legal franchise and provincial statues that count and not many of us are lawyers so lets comment on what we hope for, expect this season both on and off the ice

canes77
04-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Ya right and im robisons brother. If the league wants to revoke your franchise all they need is a unanimous vote and all youre left with is a empty building. The whl is the franchise rights holder each team is a franchisee don't meet league standards bye just like in the real world.Community owned teams are no different than privately owned teams when it comes to meeting league standards.

You're absolutely right mjw22... and it seems so basic to try and explain, but these couple of fans must live in a colony somewhere... I can only guess that they have never even spent 10 minutes with a lawyer or a business owner before in their life...

canes77
04-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Let's move on to something more positive like what will do in the bantam draft. Who is going to be our 20 year olds that stay and what happens in the Import draft. Maybe something on what Sutter, Ketlo and Cam have done and are doing . When it comes to push and shove, our opinion does not matter. It is only the legal franchise and provincial statues that count and not many of us are lawyers so lets comment on what we hope for, expect this season both on and off the ice

Good thinking grainbear.

To add to those 3 guys... I think it's great to see Dwight King playing a regular shift for the LA Kings, helping them win the first 3 games against the Canucks. Not only that, his line has started every game/period this postseason. Great to see, way to go Kinger!

blacksheep
04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
You're absolutely right mjw22... and it seems so basic to try and explain, but these couple of fans must live in a colony somewhere... I can only guess that they have never even spent 10 minutes with a lawyer or a business owner before in their life...
you are wrong with your assumptions am 30+ years in business. shareholders must get vote, board cannot solicit offers to purchase. any offer can be considered but not a requirement to take to shareholders. any approved offer to be taken to shareholders for vote of approval or disapproval at special meeting. notice must be given of a special meeting for this and so far no notice or hint of notice. league may revoke but will have to consult and appease shareholders. One person doesn't own the franchise, over 1200 do. Just a fact of life when it comes to the league. There is no question league wants to rid itself of the three community teams left. 1200 shareholder are literally a pain in the ass. The league knows it is not god contrary to mjw22 and others comments, see u at special meeting if there ever is one. Don't forget to buy your share so you can partake in the meetings and you can ***** legitimately.

mjw22
04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
you are wrong with your assumptions am 30+ years in business. shareholders must get vote, board cannot solicit offers to purchase. any offer can be considered but not a requirement to take to shareholders. any approved offer to be taken to shareholders for vote of approval or disapproval at special meeting. notice must be given of a special meeting for this and so far no notice or hint of notice. league may revoke but will have to consult and appease shareholders. One person doesn't own the franchise, over 1200 do. Just a fact of life when it comes to the league. There is no question league wants to rid itself of the three community teams left. 1200 shareholder are literally a pain in the ass. The league knows it is not god contrary to mjw22 and others comments, see u at special meeting if there ever is one. Don't forget to buy your share so you can partake in the meetings and you can ***** legitimately.

IF the WHL revokes your franchise your share is worth what your knowledge on this is nothing. The league does not deal with 1200 shareholders it deals with the entity that is the Lethbridge Hurricanes Hockey Club inc and they deal with you. I will say it again slowly fail to meet league standards with a vote league revokes franchise rights and player cards team is left with empty building a few pucks and unhappy share holders . I doubt that YOUR team is even close to that point so dont worry be happy :o

blacksheep
04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
IF the league asked them to sell and were turned down all they have to do is revoke the franchise. It is in the WHL constitution the league owns the franchise rights and can revoke them with a league vote. It has been done before (Billings ) but I doubt that Lethbridge is a concern more like SC & PG. So what you stated about the LAW doesnt apply here all sports leagues own the franchise rights thats how they control the teams and their conduct. So if your team is not meeting the league standards they can force you to sell relocate or simply disband your franchise.

sorry but there is no provision in the clubs articles that authorizes them, the board, to sell the club, league orders or not, that is the conundrum that u have failed to grasp. in other words the league can order all it wants the board under the current structure cannot be forced to sell the club, they can take offers and present those offers and the shareholders decide. that is how the current situation is structured. if the league revokes it would be an interesting legal question. remember u can't change official legal documents because u feel like it. the league is not above the law.

blacksheep
04-19-2012, 06:46 AM
P.S. MJw22. Good luck starting tomorrow in the league final. Enjoy the ride. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

blacksheep
04-19-2012, 06:51 AM
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Community+owned+Warriors+throwback+days+gone/6481252/story.html