PDA

View Full Version : Brandon vs Calgary

Joe Hallenback
03-19-2012, 07:26 AM
We played Calgary 4 times this year and are 1 and 3 against them. 2 of Calgary's wins came during that awful stretch after christmas.

Calgary has a very balanced attack with 6 20+ goal forwards. They have a good mix of size and speed up front. They like to roll 4 lines and play a up tempo hard forechecking style.

Their defense is huge. All big guys who play physical. It is also going to be key for them this series. If they can play phsical and stay out of the box against our foward group they will have success.

The weak point on the team is the tandem of Dreidger/Glover. Dreidger will stat and he is a bit inconsistent for Calgary this season. If Brandon can get on him early it will go a long way to winning this series.

The keys for Brandon are going to be secondary scoring. If we can get our second and third lines going we should win this series. Stones line will score but 1 line can't carry a team. If Seaman and Sundhar come back and play the way they can it will help us out.

Brandon is 15-4-2 in their last 21 games. The Best record in the league during that time. This isn't that struggling team that almost lost their playoff spot after Christmas. Boes is back and playing as good as we know he can. If he provides the same steady goaltending and we play solid defensively we should win this series.

My prediction

Brandon wins in 5. Boes keeps up his stellar play and our offense really starts to roll. Calgary's defense takes too many penalties and we make them pay. They are forced to try and play run and gun and it costs them.

patsdude114
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
The weak point on the team is the tandem of Dreidger/Glover. Dreidger will stat and he is a bit inconsistent for Calgary this season. If Brandon can get on him early it will go a long way to winning this series.

Dreidger has been 1 of the most consistant goalies all year round, he isnt at elite status yet in the league but has put up very solid numbers all season.

The Hitmen will win this series just due to more scoring depth, like most CHL teams the scoring gets thin after the 1st line which is the case in BRN as well. WKs have elite talent in Stone & Ferland but after that it gets thin.

Boes has been riding a very hot hand since coming back from his hand injury.... The big crowds which will be in Calgary will favour the Hitmen as they have played infront of big crowds all season long, the city of calgary support the Hitmen the best fans in the WHL by far. The big crowds could intimidate Boes as a playoff rookie.

You guys have played great hockey down the stretch run, especially after the xmas break where things seemed to be falling apart very fast. The win against the Pats in Regina in early Feb turned the page for you guys. As much as i hate the WKs it was still nice to see cuz u guys always had the talent there, & i hate seeing teams under acheive.

Rye
03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Boes started against Medicine Hat in the playoffs last year, he's not a rookie.

Joe Hallenback
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Nice first win by Brandon. Thought we really contolled most of the game. Every line was solid. Best game Sundhar has played as a Wheatie. Boes a rock.

Joe Hallenback
03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Ferland made Calgary his ***** that game. I dont think Calgary tried to throw a hit all game

armypower
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Brutal performance by the Hitmen

sbtatter
03-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Brutal performance by the Hitmen

I wonder why the Hitmen didn't show up?

Joe Hallenback
03-23-2012, 07:26 AM
They are missing 2 of there best players in Rask and Slyvester. They looked really slow on Defense and really intimidated. Most of their shots were from the outside and if you take that stretch away at the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd they didn't do much. Brandon just shut it down after the 6th goal and took it eays.

I expect Calgary to come out with some more life tonight because if they don't this series will be over

sbtatter
03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
They are missing 2 of there best players in Rask and Slyvester. They looked really slow on Defense and really intimidated. Most of their shots were from the outside and if you take that stretch away at the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd they didn't do much. Brandon just shut it down after the 6th goal and took it eays.

I expect Calgary to come out with some more life tonight because if they don't this series will be over

The Calgary Herald is drooling over Ferland, ready to put him in the Flames team!!

Joe Hallenback
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Both him and DD did there jobs in spades last night. No one stood up to them all night even after the game was done you would think that Calgary would want to send a message that they could not be pushed around.

sbtatter
03-24-2012, 07:16 AM
I thought thi line was funny from the Calgary Herald
"Youngster Greg Chase, who had been particularly feisty all game, finally dropped the gloves with Brandon toughie Roy at the game’s end"

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Hitmen+even+series+with+pasting+Brandon/6352062/story.html#ixzz1q2WdFvAq

Since when did Roy become a toughie??!!!
Huge game Sunday night.....

Ott
03-24-2012, 09:04 AM
I thinking Stone will have a big game Sunday with the Sens in town Monday, I'm sure the Sens Brass and media will all be at the game to see if Stone the future answer to their scoring problems. Just hope it's not too much of a distraction for him or Clouston who I'm sure a couple of the Ott Media who weren't exactly fans will write at least a few nasty words about him.

armypower
03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I heard Sylvester may not play in this series for Calgary,I think they will
need Rask back to win this series...

duke23
03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I thought thi line was funny from the Calgary Herald
"Youngster Greg Chase, who had been particularly feisty all game, finally dropped the gloves with Brandon toughie Roy at the game’s end"

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Hitmen+even+series+with+pasting+Brandon/6352062/story.html#ixzz1q2WdFvAq

Since when did Roy become a toughie??!!!
Huge game Sunday night.....

This is my first ever post on this site, so I will try not too make any enemies.LOL.
It must be a Calgary thing sbtatter. I was watching the game on the webcast and they were pretty biased towards Calgary. I really like their comment on the accidental trip on Meilluer.

lordstanley
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Looks like Hyde showed up tonight lets hope jekyl doesn't show up for game 4

sbtatter
03-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Looks like Hyde showed up tonight lets hope jekyl doesn't show up for game 4

Ha, even though you're in saskatoon, you know this team!! You never know what bdn team will show up this year! At least Sundher and Durzinzki are performing in the playoffs so far, makes the trades look better when they start to contribute. Very happy with Boes so far, his save% is stellar.
But as you said, means nothing if they don't all show up in game 4!!!!

lordstanley
03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah they have the tools to be right there with MJ if they can be consistant

Just saw the game summery less than 4,000 at that game in Winnipeg a tad disapointing

chalk_one_up
03-25-2012, 08:27 PM
That winter fair crap needs to be in the, ah "winter" and not in the spring. Move that event up a few weeks and quit forcing the Wheat Kings out of their building during the most of important times.

drummermajor
03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
That winter fair crap needs to be in the, ah "winter" and not in the spring. Move that event up a few weeks and quit forcing the Wheat Kings out of their building during the most of important times.

Even easier solution is have the province change the dates for spring break. That'll force the fair to change dates to match.

Or better yet, Wheaties just have to make sure they're top 4 in the conference every year.

As much as I don't like it, it is what it is and really, the Winter Fair has more of a right to be in that building than the WK's.

Rye
03-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Well win the next two in Winnipeg and they can save themselves a trip back to Calgary and have a a playoff game played back in Brandon once again.

Joe Hallenback
03-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Ok game from the Wheaties last night. Calgary tried to lul them to sleep again like they did on Friday but a few timely goals and it was pretty much over after that.

Without 2 of there top scorers Calgary has trouble mustering any offense. We could probably put this series to bed tomorrow early with a goal or 2.

sbtatter
03-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Couple things are helping the underdogs in this series. More balanced scoring, the top line has scored 30% of the goals, and in the regular season it was 42%.
And Boes has continued his stellar tending, 3rd best save % (.916%) in the regular season the 4th best save% (.933%) in the playoffs.
If those 2 things continue, the WK's have a good chance to move to the 2nd round. But this team wasn't consistent all year, so why would they start now?

Pecker
03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Went in and watched the game. Loved the opening faceoff, before the puck was even dropped when Walker cross checked Bubnick to the ice! The linesman looked stunned, he didn't know what to do. haha.
Also the disallowed goal for the Wheatkings was a colossal horse$h!t call!!! Puck was sitting behind Glover in the wide open and the ref blows it down! What a dummy! Luckily the Wheaties still won or there would have been a huge uproar over that.

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Couple things are helping the underdogs in this series. More balanced scoring, the top line has scored 30% of the goals, and in the regular season it was 42%.
And Boes has continued his stellar tending, 3rd best save % (.916%) in the regular season the 4th best save% (.933%) in the playoffs.
If those 2 things continue, the WK's have a good chance to move to the 2nd round. But this team wasn't consistent all year, so why would they start now?

Underdogs not sure i would go that far sure it says 3 vs 6 but to me you guys have under achieved and should almost be the favorites

sbtatter
03-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Underdogs not sure i would go that far sure it says 3 vs 6 but to me you guys have under achieved and should almost be the favorites

Well warrior fans on here say we are terrible, at 1 point they were backing RD to make the 8th spot ahead of us, so I'm going with their expertise that we are in fact a brutal team with no defence or goaltending. I'm just happy to be here as cannon fodder for any of the top 4 teams!

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Well warrior fans on here say we are terrible, at 1 point they were backing RD to make the 8th spot ahead of us, so I'm going with their expertise that we are in fact a brutal team with no defence or goaltending. I'm just happy to be here as cannon fodder for any of the top 4 teams!

Well shall you guys meet up in these playoffs i will be behind you guy's they got a little to cocky this year those tribe fans

mjw22
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Well shall you guys meet up in these playoffs i will be behind you guy's they got a little to cocky this year those tribe fans

The guys who led the league in cockiness last year should be quiet :)

lordstanley
03-26-2012, 11:58 AM
The guys who led the league in cockiness last year should be quiet :)

A little healthy ribbing never hurt anyone lol

mjw22
03-26-2012, 12:11 PM
A little healthy ribbing never hurt anyone lol

no it doesn't but 'toon fans lead in that dept year after year :)

sbtatter
03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Wonder who Cgy puts in net tomorrow? Bdn seem to have their way with Driedger (cue driedger to throw a shout out now!!), so I guess they put Glover in....

sbtatter
03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Calgary will get a real boost with Sylvester back in the line up.
Driedger back in net.
Whoever wins this game wins the series.......

WKfan
03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Solid effort by the wheaties! Hopefully they finish it off on Thursday. One question though, can anyone explain to me why miller logs the ice time he does? He's not good and takes far too many dumb penalties. I don't get it.

sbtatter
03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Solid effort by the wheaties! Hopefully they finish it off on Thursday. One question though, can anyone explain to me why miller logs the ice time he does? He's not good and takes far too many dumb penalties. I don't get it.

Maybe Hunter will log some more ice time when he replaces Waltz. Miller appeared to regress a little bit this season I thought.
Huge win tonight, now need to put Cgy out Thursday night.

WKfan
03-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I can't see them making any lineup changes to a defense core that isn't giving up much right now. I just was frustrated watching a game that the wheaties were winning handily and then miller takes a couple penalties(one they scored on the delayed call) Calgary wasn't even in the game up to that point and it could have cost the wheaties dearly. But enough dwelling on the negative. A win is a win and come playoff time it really doesn't matter how you get it done just that you do.

Rye
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Won't predict but really hope the boys use not having to bus all the way back to Calgary as motivation to win game 5. Would be huge.

sbtatter
03-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Good article talking a little bit about K Mac's grief regarding Brad
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/03/28/wheat-kings-win-would-lift-gms-heart

Joe Hallenback
03-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Woot Brandon wins in OT. Bring on the Oil Kings :groovy::clap:

lordstanley
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Congrats guys good to see a former Blade in on the game winner

sbtatter
03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Back to Alberta against the top team in the dub. Big underdogs, see what happens!
On to the 2nd round for the 7th time in the last 10 years, we're so lucky with this franchise!

duke23
03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Great game by the Wheaties, congrats boys. I personally think we can only get better from here. We beat the 3rd rated team without our top line really producing. They have had 1 great game(3),2 okay games(1,4) and 2 not so good(2,5). They will need be playing like the top line for the next series, Edmonton will be alot tougher to play against than Calgary. Assuming of course they don't ****the bed against the Ice.

Hitmen1
03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Congrats on the win. The Wheaties were easily the better team in the series and deserve to move on. Good luck vs Edmonton.

sbtatter
03-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Congrats on the win. The Wheaties were easily the better team in the series and deserve to move on. Good luck vs Edmonton.

Thanks. Hitmen will be a team to fear next year!

BrandonBruinsFan37
03-30-2012, 12:50 PM
First post - been a long time observer but this playoff series made me want to post. I thought the boys played really well all series long and Edmonton will be a huge test. They've had our number since the first meeting in October but I feel this is a much more complete hockey club than what has ever faced Edmonton.

Ott
03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Any idea when the next series will start? Will the start early if the other series finish early?

Rye
03-31-2012, 01:22 AM
From Luber's Lounge:

Friday, April 6 - Brandon at Edmonton, 8 p.m. (CDT)
Saturday, April 7 - Brandon at Edmonton, 7 p.m. (CDT)
Tuesday, April 10 - Edmonton at Brandon, 7 p.m. (CDT)
Wednesday, April 11 - Edmonton at Brandon, 7 p.m. (CDT)
Friday, April 13 - Brandon at Edmonton, 9 p.m. (CDT)
Sunday, April 15 - Edmonton at Brandon, 7 p.m. (CDT)
Wednesday, April 18 - Brandon at Edmonton, 8 p.m. (CDT)

WorkHorse
03-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Looking forward to attending the games in Edmonton! There's usually a large turnout of Wheaties fans so it should be great!

Ott
03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
I understand the scheduling issue and bld availability issue, but I hate how playoffs get dragged out so long. Well at least the players can have a long weekend off then get back at it Monday, maybe they can go enjoy the end of the Winter Fair LOL

WorkHorse
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Most home teams will try to get games on weekends as well in order to get more fans to attend, although Good Friday may hurt attendance.

mjw22
04-01-2012, 02:22 AM
This is going to be an interesting series two offensive teams . goaltending will be the key here. This could go 6-7 and pick em.