PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Call News Conference

Wildeyes
03-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Prince Albert Raiders calls a news conference for 11 am tm! tune into CKBI where we will be covering it live.

Any Idea?

Sttop
03-27-2012, 07:07 PM
no doubt to tell everyone they had a disappointing year but there were alot of positives to build on. Prob 1 of the asst coaches gone .... might as well blame the crappy season on Puff. what a joke !

Dwight Schrute
03-27-2012, 07:27 PM
no doubt to tell everyone they had a disappointing year but there were alot of positives to build on. Prob 1 of the asst coaches gone .... might as well blame the crappy season on Puff. what a joke !

I also have a bad feeling about this

Wapitikev
03-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Not Puff...its the stick-boy's fault.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
03-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Dave Manson named GM and coach.

Raider Believer
03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Dave Manson named GM and coach.

:clap: too much to hope for !

lordstanley
03-27-2012, 11:42 PM
It's Donn Clark taking over for everything congrats !!

XCHEKR
03-28-2012, 12:46 AM
It's Donn Clark taking over for everything congrats !!

And how are your Blades doing???:rolleyes:

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-28-2012, 07:07 AM
And how are your Blades doing???:rolleyes:

At least the Blades made the playoffs and they will be hosting the Memorial Cup next year.:groovy:

the voice
03-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Ok, lets stick to Raiders news here. Pretty important day and looking forward to the press conference. Haven't seen or heard about press conference anywhere but here. Any other notices about it out there?

Dwight Schrute
03-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Can someone post the highlights of the conference for those of us who can hear it at work

the voice
03-28-2012, 07:57 AM
No idea what the board has in mind. If they make changes, possibly Dave as head coach and brings in an offensive assistant coach...possibly Derkatch who knows the players? Leonard? Or someone else Dave has been successful with? Will be interesting to see. I still think bruno has made some good deals as GM only and may get another year. Heck, they may be all back....what do I know. Whatever they do, we need to support and look forward to next year.

Wildeyes
03-28-2012, 08:55 AM
According to Drew It does have to do with the Coaching and Manager.

chalk_one_up
03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
According to Drew It does have to do with the Coaching and Manager.

It's Manson.

Dwight Schrute
03-28-2012, 10:21 AM
It's Manson.

Staying ?

HockeyGuru
03-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Leonard in,Bedard out...everyone stays in roles.1 year extensions

chalk_one_up
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Who replaces Leonard then?

There goes the Mintos program. :(

mjw22
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Leonard in,Bedard out...everyone stays in roles.1 year extensions

close manson in bedard out and more of the same . let the bruno bashing begin lol

Wildeyes
03-28-2012, 11:11 AM
It is not extensions they are the options years

Manson gets a new 2 year deal

Craig Bendard is out But it wont be long till he gets a new job He is on Hockey Canada Radar

Tim Leaves the Mintos for the Raiders

HockeyGuru
03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Same old same old,blame the 2nd ass't coach for everything and let him go...seems fishy.

Raider alumni still running show in this town President of Raiders(mcfee),Associate coach which he will take over sooner than later(manson),President of minor hockey and raider scout(Dallman),Tier 1 boss(Anholt)...who will also be next head coach of Mintos.

I do applaud Leonard moving up, he has forgotten more in a week of coaching than Young who is just keeping the seat warm for Leonard and Manson until Tim gets used to jr. hockey.

Wildeyes
03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
i think Craig is a good coach but they had to move someone to make room for Tim. Craig wont be out without a job for very long

Sabes
03-28-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't mind this. I have been a Leonard fan for a while.

the voice
03-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Not a huge surprise. Bruno has brought in some pretty good players and has found some players in the woodwork that didn't cost us. The Raiders organization is pretty well run. If Leonard can bring in some different views offensively and let the talent and creativity of some of these players come through, Bruno just might come out as a genius after all. Definitely possible. This team has talent. It might just be that the approach and use of this talent this year just has to be looked at differently.

clockwise
03-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Well enough of you think Leonard is a great coach. Let's see what he can do now in a bigger faster stronger more skilled league. Duane Bartley should have got more than one year more he is invaluable to the team works his ass off. He should be rewarded for it.

Dwight Schrute
03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Was hiring leonard done to please the fans and board in order to save jobs ?

chalk_one_up
03-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Was hiring leonard done to please the fans and board in order to save jobs ?

Probably and IMHO, no matter what the organization does, it is destined to fail.

This team is like the PG of the East and the Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL.

clockwise
03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Probably and IMHO, no matter what the organization does, it is destined to fail.

This team is like the PG of the East and the Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL.

No no don't put PA in with PG. That spot belongs to Saskatoon, it's called the Brodsky curse. No matter what those 2 organizations do its destined to fail.

j dirty fan
03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Boy can't put anything past you eh! No kidding this was done just to try and save a few jobs and a few board seats. Nothing against Tim Leonard he is a great AAA coach but major junior is a totally different game. Only time will tell if the BOARD made the right decision. Remember Bruno just did what anyone would do to save their job, he accepted the one year extension and said thank you very much MR. Mcfee. Too bad it had to come at the expense of such a great guy in Craig. Remember the BOARD made this decision as they have the ultimate say when it comes to hiring and firing so all the Bruno bashers can lay off and let the man try and do something to turn this team around.

Sttop
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
its a message board, nobody bashed bruno so u can relax. he has not done the job he wad brought in to do. In the real world thats when u get fired.

clockwise
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Boy can't put anything past you eh! No kidding this was done just to try and save a few jobs and a few board seats. Nothing against Tim Leonard he is a great AAA coach but major junior is a totally different game. Only time will tell if the BOARD made the right decision. Remember Bruno just did what anyone would do to save their job, he accepted the one year extension and said thank you very much MR. Mcfee. Too bad it had to come at the expense of such a great guy in Craig. Remember the BOARD made this decision as they have the ultimate say when it comes to hiring and firing so all the Bruno bashers can lay off and let the man try and do something to turn this team around.

:clap:

XCHEKR
03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
its a message board, nobody bashed bruno so u can relax. he has not done the job he wad brought in to do. In the real world thats when u get fired.

I am looking forward to the players coming back and starting out fresh and I for one am tired of all the Bruno nonsense that some have displayed on here > it seems very personal! Lets put it to rest so the players can come back and do the job we want them to do!!!

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
No no don't put PA in with PG. That spot belongs to Saskatoon, it's called the Brodsky curse. No matter what those 2 organizations do its destined to fail.

Hmm thanks for coming out got any more ?

clockwise
03-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Hmm thanks for coming out got any more ?

If the shoe fits buddy. Off ice success sure I'll give you that great facility, great owner, great players, your city and team hosts world class events. On ice success you've had a few good if not great regular seasons. But come playoff time when it really counts just one disappointment after another, looks like another one again this year. The Blades have had 45 years + of playoff disappointment. That's where the Blades are cursed. Until you win it all by your own merit (not by being the host team) then and only then will the curse be lifted.

Trav
03-28-2012, 07:43 PM
If the shoe fits buddy. Off ice success sure I'll give you that great facility, great owner, great players, your city and team hosts world class events. On ice success you've had a few good if not great regular seasons. But come playoff time when it really counts just one disappointment after another, looks like another one again this year. The Blades have had 45 years + of playoff disappointment. That's where the Blades are cursed. Until you win it all by your own merit (not by being the host team) then and only then will the curse be lifted.

I agree with u, the team is cursed and as a Blades fan I won't deny that, I'll admit it, I'm sure the other Blades fans on here won't admit it though. The Blades do well in the regular season but bomb in the playoffs, it's becoming quite frustrating to watch. Not saying Molleken is the problem but I think the team would do better if he just was the GM and a new face to the organization became the head coach, dunno if Dave Struch is head coach material. With the way the league has become, more competitive, I don't think any team should have a guy that is the coach and GM both.

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I agree with u, the team is cursed and as a Blades fan I won't deny that, I'll admit it, I'm sure the other Blades fans on here won't admit it though. The Blades do well in the regular season but bomb in the playoffs, it's becoming quite frustrating to watch. Not saying Molleken is the problem but I think the team would do better if he just was the GM and a new face to the organization became the head coach, dunno if Dave Struch is head coach material. With the way the league has become, more competitive, I don't think any team should have a guy that is the coach and GM both.

Well yeah i agree to it is feeling like the Maple Leafs but heck even the Leafs have won a cup

Dwight Schrute
03-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Well yeah i agree to it is feeling like the Maple Leafs but heck even the Leafs have won a cup

So San Jose sharks might be a comparison

lordstanley
03-28-2012, 08:30 PM
So San Jose sharks might be a comparison

Actually yeah that's a good one i guess we have at least made it to the league finals twice and game 7's both of them sharks can't say that but we share the most important thing no cups

Raiderfan8
03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Dale Grayston to coach Mintos . My guess anyways as his contract with Beardy's has expired.

chalk_one_up
03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Dale Grayston to coach Mintos . My guess anyways as his contract with Beardy's has expired.

I'll say Peter Anholt since he stepped in and was the head coach when Leonard was in Montreal for work related activities. He's familiar with the team etc.

mr bo dangles
03-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Dale will coach in Beardys next yr .

AAAScout
03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
the next coach of the Mintos will be either Ken Morrison or Brad Bergen,the current asst coaches, same as Leonard graduated to Head Coach from Asst they will. The organization tries to develop from within, players and coaches.

mjw22
03-29-2012, 11:45 PM
By only picking up the options on Bruno & Young they may have created a lame duck GM & coach scenario. How do the players respond and more importantly high draft picks. With agents and parents heavily involved in the process it makes me wonder does a kid come to a team where the GM & coaches future ride on what is basically another rebuild year.Interesting as always in P.A.

XCHEKR
03-29-2012, 11:51 PM
By only picking up the options on Bruno & Young they may have created a lame duck GM & coach scenario. How do the players respond and more importantly high draft picks. With agents and parents heavily involved in the process it makes me wonder does a kid come to a team where the GM & coaches future ride on what is basically another rebuild year.Interesting as always in P.A.

"Interesting as always" your take on things:eek: I noticed how a couple of you jump from one team's forum to another with all your wisdom:rolleyes:

mjw22
03-30-2012, 12:04 AM
"Interesting as always" your take on things:eek: I noticed how a couple of you jump from one team's forum to another with all your wisdom:rolleyes:

I will not trash you "ROOKIE" but this is a hockey forum its not the Raider fans private domain .:D If you have an opinion to offer an another forum feel free to do so :)

AAAScout
03-30-2012, 07:02 AM
that thought process holds alot of merit MJ22. It will be interesting with everyone knowing Bruno and especially Steve have such a short leash, it will be interesting to see how the players react to that. If they don't like steve come out and lose 8 of the first 10 and he's gone!!

the voice
03-30-2012, 07:10 AM

I don't think the squad is rebuilding as much as it did last year. There will be a few needed additions and deletions no doubt. You can't use 2 lines just to get wins and ignore the whole roster development or we are going to be worse in 2 years. A balanced contributing lineup with correct instruction is the road needed. That's how the team improves over the year instead of flatlining. Let the players use instinct and talent and develop chemistry.

mjw22
03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
that thought process holds alot of merit MJ22. It will be interesting with everyone knowing Bruno and especially Steve have such a short leash, it will be interesting to see how the players react to that. If they don't like steve come out and lose 8 of the first 10 and he's gone!!

Thanks. In most cases organizations try to show faith/confidence in their staff to fans players prospects by extending their deals by even one year. The risk of eating that extra year is offset by the optics of not having the lame duck appearance. As well do the GM & coach operate differently now that they have been put in this position in order to keep their jobs. Young may play only certain guys trying to win bruno may trade the future for now. Are there proper checks and balances in place. IMO bod dropped the ball here extend them or fire them don't say it was a set back but we believe in you . :confused:

Bystander
03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
I think the type of player that is chosen should be a concern for the Raider fan. Outside of the obvious players, there are a number of players that are of the same type, two lines of skilled players and two lines of players that are playing just not to get scored on. The defense need to be skilled and size should not be a concern. The best dman in the world (Lidstrom) is 180 lbs and maybe hits once a year. Raiders dmen need to be skilled and puck movers, not just big dump the puck out off the glass blue liners that take penalties. As far as I can see, there needs to be a good number of changes to make the Raiders a respectable team. Talent over size anyday.

AAAScout
03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks. In most cases organizations try to show faith/confidence in their staff to fans players prospects by extending their deals by even one year. The risk of eating that extra year is offset by the optics of not having the lame duck appearance. As well do the GM & coach operate differently now that they have been put in this position in order to keep their jobs. Young may play only certain guys trying to win bruno may trade the future for now. Are there proper checks and balances in place. IMO bod dropped the ball here extend them or fire them don't say it was a set back but we believe in you . :confused:

here is an ever better question, will Bruno sell Steve out or vice versa? Will Bruno fire Steve quickly if things go wrong to try and salvage his own job? I think there are alot of things the BOD did not truly think through to the fullest extent when making this decision. Like any job when your back is against the wall some strange things can happen, and this 1 year extension with a "win or else" tag on it may produce some interesting results. I personally don;t see the 3rd or 4th line getting much ice time next year unless it is forced by upper management, it will be win at all costs and that usually won't include alot of ice time for 3rd and especially 4th lines who require development.

Wapitikev
03-31-2012, 10:15 PM
here is an ever better question, will Bruno sell Steve out or vice versa? Will Bruno fire Steve quickly if things go wrong to try and salvage his own job? I think there are alot of things the BOD did not truly think through to the fullest extent when making this decision. Like any job when your back is against the wall some strange things can happen, and this 1 year extension with a "win or else" tag on it may produce some interesting results. I personally don;t see the 3rd or 4th line getting much ice time next year unless it is forced by upper management, it will be win at all costs and that usually won't include alot of ice time for 3rd and especially 4th lines who require development.

AAA, you've seen TL coach the Mintos. What style does he like to play? Roll 4 lines or concentrate on (mostly) 2 lines, like SY?

-Wapitikev

the voice
04-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I hope previous posters are wrong about 2 line hockey. That was tried to get wins for 2 months and look at the results. With all the concern about attracting prospects, I would think a team that rolls lines and develops players for now and the next several years and improves the win column is the only way to secure jobs past one year. Thing is the fans want wins now and the team approach will have to get wins. I think the talent is there to do that. Just wish we had tried it late in the season to get a true read on which players could step up in different situations this fall. A short bench will lead to players looking at their options early on. I hope someone can answer Wapikitev's question about TL style.

AAAScout
04-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Leonard is a 3 line coach, with a touch of 4th line thrown in. he generally tries to spot the 4th line into situations where they will be successful for example he will throw them out for a faceoff in the oppositions end and stuff like that, this way they have better chances for successful shifts during the game. He won't hang them out to dry or put them in positions to fail.

puckdad
04-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Leonard coaches to win games. He understands that games are won at practice, which are generally high tempo, game speed, and doesn't let players get away with sloppy or lazy habits in practice.
What he does real well is combine players who complement each other on the ice together. Mintos had a very effective 3rd line this year with 2 smaller skilled forwards who did not enjoy contact, paired with a fast, aggressive F1 who dished out alot of hits, won pucks and opened up the ice for his line-mates.
IMO his effectiveness as a coach in AAA and his success comes as a result of his ability to recognize during the game what is working and what the team has to do differently to be successful against the team they are playing. He doesn't put together a game plan and blindly stick to it if it's not working - he changes and adapts according to what will work.

the voice
04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Sounds like a solid way to do it. Refreshing. I look forward to him getting his hands on the team and see what comes out of the woodwork.

Wapitikev
04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Amen.

-Wapitikev