PDA

View Full Version : Crosby in Europe next year

The_Vulk
07-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Hockey star Sidney Crosby in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=s070683A)
posted July 6 @ 17:39, EST

(CP) - Hockey phenom Sidney Crosby is in contract talks with Swiss club Lugano, The Canadian Press has learned.

With the NHL set to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement with tough new limits on entry-level contracts, a source said Wednesday that Crosby has been offered a three-year deal that could be worth as much as $10 million US including a multimillion-dollar signing bonus by the Swiss club.

Crosby's agent Pat Brisson of IMG admitted negotiations were taking place. But he would not confirm any financial details.

"I can't deny that we've been in serious talks with Lugano," Brisson said Wednesday from Los Angeles. "It's a serious offer. We're keeping in mind that Sidney's goal is to play in the National Hockey League but we have to listen."
Crosby, 17, signed with Reebok in March in what was reported to be a $2.5-million US, five-year endorsement deal for equipment and apparel.

While the Gatorade deal is not believed to be as lucrative per year as the Reebok contract, it is still reportedly the richest deal a hockey player has signed with the sports drink company.

Jovorock
07-08-2005, 05:45 AM
I would think that Reebok and Gaterade's contract stipulates that the Crosby would be in the NHL. If he plays in a lower league then the dollars wouldn't be as much. At least that is what I would offer if I was representing one of those two companies.

The_Vulk
07-10-2005, 05:33 PM
It was also reported (somewhere) that the contract would have an out-clause, if/when the NHL gets playing again (like so many other NHL players have when they went to Europe).

I can't think they would not include that in any contract.