PDA

View Full Version : So long Soudek, Royals pack up and go

CdnSailor
03-31-2012, 02:30 PM
By Travis Paterson - Victoria News
Published: March 29, 2012 3:00 PM
Updated: March 29, 2012 3:53 PM

As the curtain fell on the Victoria Royals first season in the WHL on Wednesday (March 29), it was also the last time Robin Soudek would take off his skates as a Western Hockey League player.

The 21-year-old is one of two graduating players from Royals, with Hayden Rintoul being the other.

“It’s pretty emotional,” Soudek said. “I skated off the ice with tears in my eyes, it wasn’t fun, but that’s how life is.”

In fours seasons Soudek, an import from the Czech republic, scored 70 goals and recorded 81 assists in 250 regular season WHL games with the Edmonton Oil Kings, Chilliwack Bruins and Victoria Royals. He finished the 2012 playoffs with two goals in four games.

Following the Royals’ elimination on Wednesday night, Soudek recapped his day.

“This morning I felt pretty good. Then I had my pre-game meal and though, this is kind of weird, I might be heading to the rink for the last time.

“I texted my parents and told them I wished they were here today. They were a huge part of (supporting) me in hockey and I thanked them for everything. It was sad they couldn’t be here.”

Soudek’s parents did visit him previously, including his first two years in Edmonton, where he was selected 12th overall in the 2008 CHL import draft (fourth in the WHL).

“Victoria was a great experience and great city. The organization did a lot for me and I hope I did a lot for the organization too.”

Undrafted, Soudek has yet to decide if he’ll test the pro market this summer for a tryout or go the European route.

Soudek would like to follow in the footsteps of fellow countryman and teammate Roman Horak. Originally drafted by the New York Rangers, Horak graduated from the 2010-11 Bruins to the Calgary Flames (who traded for his rights), where he’s played 61 games this season, seven with the AHL’s Abbotsford Heat.

the Royal Flush
04-06-2012, 01:53 PM
and thats that...