PDA

View Full Version : blades bantam draft

wango tango
04-30-2012, 12:41 PM
if i remember right saskatoon has no first round pick this year, but two second rounders, and two third rounders. these players would not be able to play full time until the 50th anniversary season. have to think after this season with hosting the memorial cup there will be some significant holes to fill. so what's the team going to be looking for?

curwie
04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
if i remember right saskatoon has no first round pick this year, but two second rounders, and two third rounders. these players would not be able to play full time until the 50th anniversary season. have to think after this season with hosting the memorial cup there will be some significant holes to fill. so what's the team going to be looking for?

Personally, I hope we deal every pick we have for impact players for this coming season. If trades don't happen at the batam draft, then we should try and draft players that other teams may covet. Which begs the question, is there a trade freeze on till the end of the WHL playoffs, or can teams still make deals with other WHL teams that have already been eliminated?

lordstanley
04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Personally, I hope we deal every pick we have for impact players for this coming season. If trades don't happen at the batam draft, then we should try and draft players that other teams may covet. Which begs the question, is there a trade freeze on till the end of the WHL playoffs, or can teams still make deals with other WHL teams that have already been eliminated?

As far as i know the trade feeze is lifted come bantam draft day obviously teams like port and edm wont trade any roster players though lol

curwie
04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
As far as i know the trade feeze is lifted come bantam draft day obviously teams like port and edm wont trade any roster players though lol

Hahaha ya I figured that much. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my eye on a player or two from Portland though! Hopefully we can swing a deal or two with them.

Can't see Edmonton dealing any impact roster players this summer as they look to be contenders again next year.

Trav
04-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Hahaha ya I figured that much. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my eye on a player or two from Portland though! Hopefully we can swing a deal or two with them.

Can't see Edmonton dealing any impact roster players this summer as they look to be contenders again next year.

Portland seems to be a team that doesn't believe in rebuilding, I think that's pretty evident when they went after Seth Jones who a lot of people think will play in Portland so if ur hoping for a Rattie or Leipsic just don't see it happening.

I won't be surprised if there's trades on Thursday, but of course it takes two to tangle. Guess we'll see in a few days.

curwie
04-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Portland seems to be a team that doesn't believe in rebuilding, I think that's pretty evident when they went after Seth Jones who a lot of people think will play in Portland so if ur hoping for a Rattie or Leipsic just don't see it happening.

I won't be surprised if there's trades on Thursday, but of course it takes two to tangle. Guess we'll see in a few days.

Well you make a fair point regarding Seth Jones but, anythings for sale for the right price. We should be spending like drunken sailors. If were prepared to deal the proper number of picks, we'll get the players we need. As far as your Portland doesn't believe in rebuilding comment, I'm sure the 17 win, 2006 Winterhawk team that finished dead last, and the 11 win, 2007 Winterhawk team that finished dead last, and the 19 win, 2008 Winterhawk team that finished 2nd last would disagree with you.

Trav
05-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Well you make a fair point regarding Seth Jones but, anythings for sale for the right price. We should be spending like drunken sailors. If were prepared to deal the proper number of picks, we'll get the players we need. As far as your Portland doesn't believe in rebuilding comment, I'm sure the 17 win, 2006 Winterhawk team that finished dead last, and the 11 win, 2007 Winterhawk team that finished dead last, and the 19 win, 2008 Winterhawk team that finished 2nd last would disagree with you.

The Winterhawks were under poor ownership back then. The team did a 180 rite after the current ownership took over.

curwie
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
The Winterhawks were under poor ownership back then. The team did a 180 rite after the current ownership took over.

When the current owner bought the team in 2008 the rebuild was completed and the following year the team really took off. With high bantam and import draft picks in 06, 07, and 08, paving the way for the team we see in Portland today. In any event, my point is that all teams no matter how good the ownership is go through a rebuild at some point. Your right though, the current management has done a terrific job building that team as well. They definitely have a strong group of young players even without there star players. We will need to be aggressive no matter who are trading partners are.

Trav
05-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Just saying if the old regime was still in place, Portland likely wouldn't be playing for the WHL Championships. Players quit on the old regime cuz of what they were doing.

I'd rather target other good players from other teams then players on Portland since they'd have no reason to trade those players. Look at teams like Brandon, Medicine Hat, when's the last time they had a top five bantam pick? Seriously there are teams that hardly go through a real rebuilding season.

curwie
05-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Just saying if the old regime was still in place, Portland likely wouldn't be playing for the WHL Championships. Players quit on the old regime cuz of what they were doing.

I'd rather target other good players from other teams then players on Portland since they'd have no reason to trade those players. Look at teams like Brandon, Medicine Hat, when's the last time they had a top five bantam pick? Seriously there are teams that hardly go through a real rebuilding season.

I would hope we'll be pulling out all the stops to find the best players available. Ideally I want guys who are proven playoff performers, but as you said, sometimes that's easier said than done.

curwie
05-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I guess your definition of a re build and my definition of a re build are different Trav. I personally consider this years Blades team that lost 6 key players (i think) from the year before as a rebuilding team. It was a year in which we got 40 regular season wins, but still a rebuild in my mind. Does that make more sense?

Trav
05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I would hope we'll be pulling out all the stops to find the best players available. Ideally I want guys who are proven playoff performers, but as you said, sometimes that's easier said than done.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be great to see Ty Rattie or Brendan Leipsic in a Blades uniform but...just don't think it'll happen.

curwie
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, it'd be great to see Ty Rattie or Brendan Leipsic in a Blades uniform but...just don't think it'll happen.

How about Brad Ross? He would be 20 and eligible for the AHL but you could make the argument that a memorial cup run would be more beneficial to his development than a year in the AHL.

Trav
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Ross would be nice, I'd take him over our twenties any day of the week.

saskatoonblades123
05-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Tons of irons in the fire, as should be expected. Team has some nice assets with two 2nd's and two 3rd's.

I would expect atleast two of those picks to be dealt for roster players by tomorrow morning's draft.

curwie
05-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Tons of irons in the fire, as should be expected. Team has some nice assets with two 2nd's and two 3rd's.

I would expect atleast two of those picks to be dealt for roster players by tomorrow morning's draft.

Hahaha you can't just hit and run like that! Pm me the details please!

Trav
05-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Lol, be patient man, better to wait until the deal is official lol. Rumors are just rumors, not that I don't believe them, I just don't get my hopes up to high whenever I see rumors of trades in any league lol until it's official.

saskatoonblades123
05-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Never really said there were rumours, just said I would expect a deal.

Trav
05-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Never really said there were rumours, just said I would expect a deal.

Sorry my response was to Curwie lol

saskatoonblades123
05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Sorry my response was to Curwie lol

Why, is there a rumoured deal?

I know I've heard something pretty specific already. We'll see how it shakes down.

curwie
05-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Lol, be patient man, better to wait until the deal is official lol. Rumors are just rumors, not that I don't believe them, I just don't get my hopes up to high whenever I see rumors of trades in any league lol until it's official.

Patience isn't my strong suit!:p

curwie
05-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Les Lazaruks thoughts on the draft and the players we need. Nice read, and thanks Les!

http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/changes-looming-this-week-for-blades/itemid_64

Sounds like the blades are looking for a top line center, and upgrades on the wing on the 2nd and third line. Also mentions a power play quaterback is needed. Sounds like a nice wishlist, and I agree.

lordstanley
05-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Blades trade 2nd, 5th and Ryan Olsen to Kelowna for Mcgolgan and Astles. Blockbuster!!!