PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Select

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
raiders traded 2nd pick to PG for the 3rd pick and PG's 3rd rounder

Sabes
05-03-2012, 09:01 AM
raiders traded 2nd pick to PG for the 3rd pick and PG's 3rd rounder

And they picked Brendan Guhle a d-man from Alberta that was ranked as high as 18th going into the draft. Wasn't on the top 10 d-men ranking on one site. Must be a fast riser or else our team really missed the boat with some other players like Estephan, Merkley, Olson and Gadwin

Raider Believer
05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
And they picked Brendan Guhle a d-man from Alberta that was ranked as high as 18th going into the draft. Wasn't on the top 10 d-men ranking on one site. Must be a fast riser or else our team really missed the boat with some other players like Estephan, Merkley, Olson and Gadwin

They have to pick who will report!

Sttop
05-03-2012, 09:33 AM
why not trade down more?

witness
05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
So who does PA pick with the first in the second round.

Do they go with the best player avaliable?? Which is a no brainer, Tate Olson.
Do they want another defensement that high?
Or do they bend to political pressure and take Campese?

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
the 3rd round is in 2013

Maybe you take him in with the other pick in the 2nd round if you must but shouldnt take him because he is a campese

Wapitikev
05-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Drew Wilson is reporting a trade for Siemens from Moose Jaw (goal).

-Wapitikev

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 10:13 AM
23 Prince Albert Prince Albert Nick McBride Goaltender Maple Ridge, B.C. 6.02 160 BWC Bantam A1-T1 1997-01-11

Wapitikev
05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Drew Wilson is reporting a trade for Siemens from Moose Jaw (goal).

-Wapitikev

Still no official confirmation on this...could be someone impersonating Drew on social media.

-Wapitikev

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Prince Albert Kamloops Matteo Gennaro Left Wing St. Albert, Alta. 6.00 159 St. Albert Bantam AAA 1997-03-30

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
45 Kelowna Prince Albert Chris Seto Left Wing Surrey, B.C. 5.10 160 Cloverdale Bantam A1-T1 1997-06-10

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Raides select Connor Hobbs from Saskatoon 4th rd 67th overall at WHL Bantam Draft

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
89 Prince Albert Prince Albert Jordan Boulton Right Defence Sherwood Park, Alta. 5.11 158 Sherwood Park Bantam AAA 1997-02-13

Wildeyes
05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
111 Prince Albert Prince Albert Dallas Miller Left Wing Winnipeg, Man. 6.00 170 Winnipeg Sharks Bantam AAA Div. 1 1997-02-25

AAAScout
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
you can sure see which scout has the ear of Bruno...........the Edmonton scout obviously runs the roost when it comes to draft selections.......overall not very impressed with the selections today and I think the trade for Siemens wasn't appropriate for what they gave up either, generally a 20yr old goalie goes for a 3rd rounder if that high. and Siemens finished the playoffs as a back up...man I was hoping for so much better with this draft. they better hope Bruhle pans out to be a super stud going that far off the board.

PG was clearly the winner in todays draft in my opinion.

mill rat
05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
wow...maybe the raiders scouts know something all other scouting services don't. i don't think anyone but the raiders had this guy in the top 10.

Wapitikev
05-04-2012, 02:40 AM
you can sure see which scout has the ear of Bruno...........the Edmonton scout obviously runs the roost when it comes to draft selections.......overall not very impressed with the selections today and I think the trade for Siemens wasn't appropriate for what they gave up either, generally a 20yr old goalie goes for a 3rd rounder if that high. and Siemens finished the playoffs as a back up...man I was hoping for so much better with this draft. they better hope Bruhle pans out to be a super stud going that far off the board.

PG was clearly the winner in todays draft in my opinion.

I liked the confidence PG showed in Tate Olsen in the second round...but...I could care less where our picks come from as long as they can play hockey and will report.

Most prognosticators projected this to be a weak draft-year for Saskatchewan born players and with every other team (it seemed) scrambling to pick up any player they could from the Burnaby Winter Club in the first round, I commend Dale and Bruno for finding talent elsewhere...and for getting Burnaby's goalie in the second round.

Heh.

Yes, lets hope Dale did his homework on Guhle. But, given Dale's previous 1st round choices (Morrissey and Gardiner), I'm wiling to go out on a limb and trust his judgement.

No-one's crystal ball is foolproof...Exhibit A: Brandon Herrod (46th) turned out to be light years better than Cole Penner (4th).

So, if you need a defenseman and you have identified your "best guy that will report" and he is ranked 18th by some so-called experts and you don't pick again until 23rd spot then what do you do? ANSWER: you pick that guy before the 23rd pick...whether that's 1st, 3rd, 17th or whatever...and then you wait two years to see if he pans out.

Unfortunately we won't know until 2013 (for some) or 2014 or later (for others) whether any of these kids turn out to be worth their draft-status.

But I'm not disappointed...yet.

-Wapitikev

AAAScout
05-04-2012, 06:46 AM
I liked the confidence PG showed in Tate Olsen in the second round...but...I could care less where our picks come from as long as they can play hockey and will report.

Most prognosticators projected this to be a weak draft-year for Saskatchewan born players and with every other team (it seemed) scrambling to pick up any player they could from the Burnaby Winter Club in the first round, I commend Dale and Bruno for finding talent elsewhere...and for getting Burnaby's goalie in the second round.

Heh.

Yes, lets hope Dale did his homework on Guhle. But, given Dale's previous 1st round choices (Morrissey and Gardiner), I'm wiling to go out on a limb and trust his judgement.

No-one's crystal ball is foolproof...Exhibit A: Brandon Herrod (46th) turned out to be light years better than Cole Penner (4th).

So, if you need a defenseman and you have identified your "best guy that will report" and he is ranked 18th by some so-called experts and you don't pick again until 23rd spot then what do you do? ANSWER: you pick that guy before the 23rd pick...whether that's 1st, 3rd, 17th or whatever...and then you wait two years to see if he pans out.

Unfortunately we won't know until 2013 (for some) or 2014 or later (for others) whether any of these kids turn out to be worth their draft-status.

But I'm not disappointed...yet.

-Wapitikev

I am not even sure what to say to that post? I commend them for finding talent elsewhere? *** does that even mean? the BWC had the best talent that is why everyone scrambled to pick the players, your job at the draft is to pick the best players!! not to "find players elsewhere" you are an eternal optomist and that is a nice feeling I am sure, but I feel Bruno for one couldn't afford to go so far off the map, he needed the safe pick.

I spoke with 4 teams at the draft, the highest any of them had Guhle was 15, the others at 18,22 and 24....those are all numbers a long ways away from 3!!

he is a good player and will play in the WHL for sure, but is he a top 3 type organization changing player? hope so.

Wapitikev
05-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I am not even sure what to say to that post? I commend them for finding talent elsewhere? *** does that even mean? the BWC had the best talent that is why everyone scrambled to pick the players, your job at the draft is to pick the best players!! not to "find players elsewhere" you are an eternal optomist and that is a nice feeling I am sure, but I feel Bruno for one couldn't afford to go so far off the map, he needed the safe pick.

I spoke with 4 teams at the draft, the highest any of them had Guhle was 15, the others at 18,22 and 24....those are all numbers a long ways away from 3!!

he is a good player and will play in the WHL for sure, but is he a top 3 type organization changing player? hope so.

Considering "the best player" without considering "who will report" is worse than having rose (green?) coloured glasses. Can you say "Cole Penner?"

Drafting the best player isn't foolproof with 18 year-olds in the NHL draft...in the W, with 14 year-olds, 110% yes from a 15-20th overall defenseman is light-years better than a "meh" from the 10th overall ranked D-man.

With all due respect...if there was even 1 team that had him ranked before 23 and Dale/Bruno knew he was committed to being here, in PA, then Dale/Bruno made the right choice.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
05-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Considering "the best player" without considering "who will report" is worse than having rose (green?) coloured glasses. Can you say "Cole Penner?"

Drafting the best player isn't foolproof with 18 year-olds in the NHL draft...in the W, with 14 year-olds, 110% yes from a 15-20th overall defenseman is light-years better than a "meh" from the 10th overall ranked D-man.

With all due respect...if there was even 1 team that had him ranked before 23 and Dale/Bruno knew he was committed to being here, in PA, then Dale/Bruno made the right choice.

-Wapitikev
So why not move further down from #3 what asset might have been acquired to move down ? And why bring up cole penner he was a head case. But was so highly ranked going in he would have been take. With the. Next pick had the raiders passed on him

Wapitikev
05-08-2012, 02:23 PM
So why not move further down from #3 what asset might have been acquired to move down ? And why bring up cole penner he was a head case. But was so highly ranked going in he would have been take. With the. Next pick had the raiders passed on him

We got all we needed from the trade-down...a 3rd round pick in 2013 to replace the 3rd round pick we were losing to Moose Jaw in your "stopgap" goalie trade...without any risk whatsoever that we would not still get the player we wanted in the first round. That's a no-lose scenario. Why risk your draft-strategy for no reason?

Cole Penner is EXACTLY the point...living proof that rankings don't mean squat!

Penner should have been one of our top players last season. The list of point a game players, chosen immediately AFTER Penner, is long and distinguished: Cody Eakin, Brayden Schenn, Evander Kane, Bubnick, Ashton, and the list goes on.

Where did picking the best ranked player get us that year?

So, lets slag the GM for NOT picking the highest ranked player available, instead of the one he believes in, after doing his homework.

I look forward to seeing how the other Left Defensemen from the first round (Troy Murray, Chaz Reddekopp, Brennan Riddle) do when they play here in a couple of years.

-Wapitikev