PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft

CanesCrazy
05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
It appears that the Hurricanes had a fairly successful draft today. I am also very excited about the addition of Ty Rimmer. As the best goaltender from the western conference this year Rimmer will be a fine example and teacher to whichever back-up remains with the team. Addressing the 20 year old situation is another matter all together though.

Bring on September.:clap:

PeacefulChaos
05-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I am also very excited to have Rimmer as our starting goaltender for next season. Shows they are serious about making a playoff push already. I don't think a 2nd and 3rd round pick are too high of a price to pay for an elite goalie.

Looks like some good draft picks were made too. Getting more and more exciting. I am glad I renewed for another season.

canes77
05-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Our top pick Giorgio Estephan will be great. He was a top 10 scorer in Bantam last year as a first year Bantam and of course easily led the league this year. I don't know much about the other picks but Robson never seems to draft a bad player whether it's round 1 or round 11.

As for the trade, this now leaves the Canes with 6 potential overagers. It will no doubt make it more competitive for the 3 possible jobs, which is never a bad thing. One other thought is that perhaps there is a chance Johnston or Hood have been in talks with an NHL/AHL club?? It is interesting that a club with 5 overages would add one more but I guess we will find out in a few months.

With Rimmer now, the Canes now have great depth at every position. The Canes already had "too many" forwards and d-men for this upcoming season, now the same can be said about the goaltenders.

The Canes have great luck with 20 year old goalies. Sorochan, Rowat, and Ketlo were all very strong and I believe Rimmer will be in the same class!

GO CANES GO

canes watcher
05-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Really? Six is too many? Take a good look at the six coming back and four are clearly better than the others. Four is an okay number to return and compete for a spot. Rimmer will stay, Johnston is the best D and probably the 2 forwards can fight it out.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I for one think the Rimmer deal was the best deal Preston has made during his tenure as the Canes GM. Even if his stats were maybe somewhat enhanced because of the quality of the team he played for, he is a top flight tender. Exactly what the Cane's needed. We have a plethora of talent at all of the other positions and a great goalie will make every player on this team better!
A 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick seems a high price to pay for an overager, but in this case it was a bargain for Lethbridge. The 2nd is in 2013 and the 3rd in 2014. I am sure those picks will be later in those rounds as the Hurricanes are going to have a much better record the next oh so many years. The 2nd will be a about the 34th and the 3rd in 2014 hopefully will be about the 62nd pick. Peanuts for a goalie that will steal many game for the Canes.
The Canes have enough picks and prospects that these 2 draft choices will not be missed in the least when compared to what a top notch goalie can do for this team. The Hurricanes will finish no worse than the middle of the pack and probably even higher next year, and a huge part of that is due to this move.

grainbear
05-04-2012, 06:36 PM
To say the goalie move was good is an understatement. The Canes still have to make another decision and that is what do they do at the import draft? We have two good players that can play in this league and we also have the 12 th pick overall in that draft . So do we keep them both or do we trade them away for the draft picks given away or select another Euro or two and then see if the choices will come and then trade away which of these players that are surplus as we can only have two for maybe the draft picks we gave up previously to Prince George and also for the third round pick .Preston and Robson have options and that always makes a team better. Certainly Hood and Johnson may have some pro options but once again if they do not pan out the tough decisions must be made once again and once again the coaching staff have options. The same can be said for the youngsters coming in great talent , not enough spots available equates to more options . Who ever thought this would be happening to us .LOOKING GOOD !

Gilligans
05-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I as well am very excited about next season. Things are looking up and I hope the boys come and put it all out there. As for the euro's, if the team has little cash as has been said on here a number of times, you'd think any euro we brought over would have to be extremely elite, or what's the point. Why waste the money if the player isn't going to dominate in the WHL style game? They probably cost $10k easy with flights alone. Just my two bits :o

The Wheatiemaniac
05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
He's a gamer. You will like watching him. He's a smaller goalie at 5' 9" tall, but lightning quick. Ironically, we traded him early last season because we gave the ball to Liam Liston. Then came Corbin Boes, and now you have Rimmer and Liston. not a bad one two punch if you can build something in front of them.