PDA

View Full Version : Blades Trade Bait Thread

Western Elite
05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Several Blades Prospects show well at the BC U17 Cup over the weekend. Matt Revel finished tied for the tournament lead in points with Zach Funk. Graham Millar, a listed player from OHA was also amongst the tournament leaders.

https://www.bchockey.net/Events/stats.aspx?id=3&season=1243

Revel had 5-4-9 in 6 games. Tied for tournament lead.
Millar finished tied for 4th in scoring with 2-5-7 in 6 games.

Nick Gomerich 1-3-4 in 6 games.
Landyn Hickmott 2-0-2 in 6 games.

Side note is that Kyle Haas has been released.

curwie
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Several Blades Prospects show well at the BC U17 Cup over the weekend. Matt Revel finished tied for the tournament lead in points with Zach Funk. Graham Millar, a listed player from OHA was also amongst the tournament leaders.

https://www.bchockey.net/Events/stats.aspx?id=3&season=1243

Revel had 5-4-9 in 6 games. Tied for tournament lead.
Millar finished tied for 4th in scoring with 2-5-7 in 6 games.

Nick Gomerich 1-3-4 in 6 games.
Landyn Hickmott 2-0-2 in 6 games.

Side note is that Kyle Haas has been released.

Not that I'm doubting you Western, but was there a press release regarding Haas's release?

Western Elite
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
No there was not a press release. He is now on the Prince George Cougars list.

lordstanley
05-18-2012, 12:14 PM
There really wasn't much room for Haas this up coming season specially with the addition of Astles Haas showed alot of heart but his skill level was just not there and eh was a average fighter at best

lordstanley
05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
So we can pretty much close the books on the whole 11/12 season now next up is euro draft and nhl draft

going into next season i would still like the blades to add another elite scorer a gritty checker and a offensive dman and maybe a back up goalie, our offense may not be as far off as some might think we have potencialy 5, 30 goal scorers, here is what these 5 guy's had last year

Nicholls 30
Stransky 39
Sutter 28
Walker 26
McColgan 18

Now with all those guys being a year older and being on a good team no reason to not believe we will have 5 30 goal scorers and a couple could be 40 goal guys, the last time we have had 5 30 goal guy's was the 10/11 season and they won 56 games that year and set many records

sbtatter
05-25-2012, 01:33 PM
So we can pretty much close the books on the whole 11/12 season now next up is euro draft and nhl draft

going into next season i would still like the blades to add another elite scorer a gritty checker and a offensive dman and maybe a back up goalie, our offense may not be as far off as some might think we have potencialy 5, 30 goal scorers, here is what these 5 guy's had last year

Nicholls 30
Stransky 39
Sutter 28
Walker 26
McColgan 18

Now with all those guys being a year older and being on a good team no reason to not believe we will have 5 30 goal scorers and a couple could be 40 goal guys, the last time we have had 5 30 goal guy's was the 10/11 season and they won 56 games that year and set many records

Walker's goals and points were inflated through centering Ferland and Stone and massive ice time, as well as huge PP time. Not sure he'll get 30 goals with Stone on his wing

Tidball
05-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Walker's goals and points were inflated through centering Ferland and Stone and massive ice time, as well as huge PP time. Not sure he'll get 30 goals with Stone on his wing

If Walker gets put on Sutters line, he will contribute. Sutter is one of the best faceoff guys in the league and is also an excellent passer. Sutter had great stats this year and he was put on a line with 2 cast aways and they were given the task of shutting down every teams top line.

sbtatter
05-27-2012, 09:48 AM
If Walker gets put on Sutters line, he will contribute. Sutter is one of the best faceoff guys in the league and is also an excellent passer. Sutter had great stats this year and he was put on a line with 2 cast aways and they were given the task of shutting down every teams top line.

Walker's a passer, not a shooter, and he isn't a shut down type player. He's a 2nd line offensive guy. But he's a good guy, and popular with other players, so that should help your team, even if he's not the elite scorer or shut down player you're looking for.

lordstanley
05-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Walker's a passer, not a shooter, and he isn't a shut down type player. He's a 2nd line offensive guy. But he's a good guy, and popular with other players, so that should help your team, even if he's not the elite scorer or shut down player you're looking for.

Walkers a stud if he plays on a line with Stransky and Nicholls im already penciling him in for 30 goals and 90 points

sbtatter
05-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Walkers a stud if he plays on a line with Stransky and Nicholls im already penciling him in for 30 goals and 90 points

We'll see, he couldn't do it with ferland and Stone on his line, so I doubt he'll do it with those 2 guys either. When I think of Walker I don't think "stud", I think smart offensive hockey player, smaller size and not too rough. Great secondary scoring guy for a truly legit Mem Cup team

lordstanley
05-27-2012, 07:03 PM
We'll see, he couldn't do it with ferland and Stone on his line, so I doubt he'll do it with those 2 guys either. When I think of Walker I don't think "stud", I think smart offensive hockey player, smaller size and not too rough. Great secondary scoring guy for a truly legit Mem Cup team

I think all of those things to but i think a year older now playing with 2 other 35 goal guys he will make the jump to 35-40 to be fair 4o may be a stretch i suppose but you never know

lordstanley
05-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Muller Has been picked up by Regina and Haas by Prince George so now that leaves us with 9 returning forwards and really 8 after Collins gets let go is my guess but McColgan walker and Astles will put it back up to 11

lordstanley
05-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Updated roster with the 3 20 year old's gone muller haas both gone and 3 new players in

(19) McColgan
(20) Collins
(19) Stransky
(17) Zajac
(18) McEvoy
(20) Walker
(20) Nicholls
(19) Sutter
(19) Benson
(18) Stovin
(19) Astles

(19) Pufahl
(20) Cox
(19) Schmidt
(19) Siemens
(18) Stipancik
(19) Deitz
(19) Thrower

(19) Makarov
(18) Todd
(17) Moodie

mjw22
05-28-2012, 07:40 PM

lol the second coming of schenn :) LS he's no stud so make sure that pencil has an eraser.

lordstanley
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
lol the second coming of schenn :) LS he's no stud so make sure that pencil has an eraser.

Clearly no Schenn not many are there was really no schenn type of guy in the east division last year either just saying walker is a stud that he adds a bit of everything to the team he will lay it on the line and put the puck in the net as well

lordstanley
05-29-2012, 03:04 PM
What do people think if the Blades do what shawinigan did lose in the second round of the playoffs but win the Memorial Cup do you think that deserves a asterisk beside there team for the record books ?

the voice
05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Updated roster with the 3 20 year old's gone muller haas both gone and 3 new players in

(19) McColgan
(20) Collins
(19) Stransky
(17) Zajac
(18) McEvoy
(20) Walker
(20) Nicholls
(19) Sutter
(19) Benson
(18) Stovin
(19) Astles

(19) Pufahl
(20) Cox
(19) Schmidt
(19) Siemens
(18) Stipancik
(19) Deitz
(19) Thrower

(19) Makarov
(18) Todd
(17) Moodie

Wow, that's alot of 19 yr olds for a cup run. Look for some moves for good 18's or the Blades are in a heap of trouble the following year with 11 - 20's. Will be interesting to watch developments.

lordstanley
05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow, that's alot of 19 yr olds for a cup run. Look for some moves for good 18's or the Blades are in a heap of trouble the following year with 11 - 20's. Will be interesting to watch developments.

The most i could see moving out of the 11 is 3

Schmidt
Pufahl
Benson i hope not

lordstanley
05-29-2012, 09:00 PM
The most i could see moving out of the 11 is 3

And oh St John had 13 this year shawinigan had 12 london had 9 and Edmonton had 4 so yeah the host team is right on par with what we'll be like, edmonton will be scary again and i think London may be back again
Schmidt
Pufahl
Benson i hope not

The 3 guys you could see go,, the others to me are almost untouchable

mjw22
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM
What do people think if the Blades do what shawinigan did lose in the second round of the playoffs but win the Memorial Cup do you think that deserves a asterisk beside there team for the record books ?

Ya it should say only here because it was the host team. This format needs a change . what happens when a host team misses the play offs sits around for 2 months and wins the cup. The Memorial Cup should be a big enough draw to get a host city to hold it without a guarantee its team is in . I would think most times the host team isnt 1 of the top 4 in the country or the even the top team in its league. IF you need four teams to eliminate the round robin fiasco's you could have the runner up in the host league as the wild card. Better than the top three and a team who couldnt make the final 4 in their league. Winning as the host and not as your leagues rep has a funny smell. Shawinigan :o

Trav
05-30-2012, 10:13 AM

Certainly are a lot of 19's....the one's I'd keep for next season would be Makarov, McColgan, Stransky, Sutter, Astles (least for awhile), Thrower, Dietz, Pufahl (Could maybe send him in a deal for a 20 yr old D-man) and Siemens.

The others are replaceable.

lordstanley
05-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Certainly are a lot of 19's....the one's I'd keep for next season would be Makarov, McColgan, Stransky, Sutter, Astles (least for awhile), Thrower, Dietz, Pufahl (Could maybe send him in a deal for a 20 yr old D-man) and Siemens.

The others are replaceable.

I totally agree i still do like benson for a role player but if you can get someone better go for it

as for a none 19 year old who i don't think will stick around that is Stipancik the kid is to injury proun a guy who could take his job is Lernout

curwie
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM

I don't get this mentality. You think we should worry about the 2013/2014 season when we have a shot at winning the cup this season????? :confused:

I'm not saying that one or two or three of those guys could or shouldn't be gone, but the core group of guys should be 19 year old players if we want to give ourselves a legitimate chance to win this year. Why is it surprising that we'll be a crappy team next year? That should be a given!

curwie
05-30-2012, 01:13 PM
I totally agree i still do like benson for a role player but if you can get someone better go for it

as for a none 19 year old who i don't think will stick around that is Stipancik the kid is to injury proun a guy who could take his job is Lernout

Good call regarding Stipancik, another guy that impressed me in limited action was Nogier.

dagley
05-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't get this mentality. You think we should worry about the 2013/2014 season when we have a shot at winning the cup this season????? :confused:

I'm not saying that one or two or three of those guys could or shouldn't be gone, but the core group of guys should be 19 year old players if we want to give ourselves a legitimate chance to win this year. Why is it surprising that we'll be a crappy team next year? That should be a given!

We weren't that bad the year after nor this year, its all about your prospect pool...if it's deep you can afford to rid of assets without hurting yourself long term.

lordstanley
05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
We weren't that bad the year after nor this year, its all about your prospect pool...if it's deep you can afford to rid of assets without hurting yourself long term.

Agreed but for the first time in years the KM era will hurt this year just saying no offense and roy and pulock are highly overated:clap:

booboo
05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Agreed but for the first time in years the KM era will hurt this year just saying no offense and roy and pulock are highly overated:clap:

I wouldn't be so sure. KM always finds a way to put a winning product on the ice. He is a masterful judge of talent and a shrewd trader who has made a habit of fleecing many of the other GM's in the league.(Ask Mollekan who got fleeced twice in the last 3 years). I wouldn't talk about Roy and Pulock being overated when you have Siemans who is definately overated.

Trav
05-30-2012, 10:15 PM

Their not overrated, I'd take Pulock over all the Blades dmen except Thrower. Those two would b a toss up. Brandon always have pretty decent teams or top end teams, I don't see that changing any time soon. KM us a smart GM, one of the best in the league. Dont think I have to bring up the Schenn deal

sbtatter
05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
and roy and pulock are highly overated:clap:

You're trolling right? If not, please tell us what aspects of Roy and Pulock's game leads you to beoieve they're over rated? If Walker's a stud, these guys are "beyond stud"!

curwie
05-30-2012, 11:52 PM

Damn you!!!!:) hahahaha The point still remains the same. We (the blades) have to focus primarily on winning this season. I'm not saying you have to win, but you have to set your team up with a legitimate SHOT at winning even if it comes at the expense of the 2013/2014 season. I also believe were on the right path so far in setting that team up. I still expect a few more moves before all the dust settles.

curwie
05-30-2012, 11:56 PM
You're trolling right? If not, please tell us what aspects of Roy and Pulock's game leads you to beoieve they're over rated? If Walker's a stud, these guys are "beyond stud"!

Pulock is a stud. I'd love to have him on my team. Haven't noticed Roy to much when the wheaties have been in town. I'll have to watch for him next time.

twentyone
05-31-2012, 09:19 AM

With all do respect Brandon also didn't have the deepest team entering their memorial cup. I was at that tournament Calgary was a much better team and in my opinion would of provided a much better final against Windsor. Yes Brandon was good the next year because of the prospect pool, but maybe if KM would of tapped into that prospect pool Brandon could of had some more depth and maybe someone that could stop a puck.

Just saying.

lordstanley
05-31-2012, 09:47 AM
With all do respect Brandon also didn't have the deepest team entering their memorial cup. I was at that tournament Calgary was a much better team and in my opinion would of provided a much better final against Windsor. Yes Brandon was good the next year because of the prospect pool, but maybe if KM would of tapped into that prospect pool Brandon could of had some more depth and maybe someone that could stop a puck.

Just saying.

Agreed Brandon simply did not have the defense that season other than a late move to get hammonic and there goaltending was very suspect i sure hope we do better our weak spot may be offense but it has improved big time lately with the moves gettign walker and mccolgan and that is just the tip of the iceberg

twentyone
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
If the Blades bring in a tuff 20 yr old Dman to bolster the top 4 they will have as strong a Defence core as anyone. Look at this past Memorial cup final both London and Shawinigan basically played with 4 d all tournament and in the final game both teams top 2 d pairings played close to 40 mins. Come tournament time all you need to roll is 4 defencemen.

If i was Lorne I would throw a flyer and trade for a guy like Dylan McIlrath and try and coax. the rangers to send him back for his 20 yr old season and a chance to play in the Mem Cup. As of right now I am sure he will be AHL bound so it shouldn't cost much. It has been done before. And come to think of it have the Rangers even signed him yet?

It all starts from a strong back end.

lordstanley
05-31-2012, 11:14 AM
If the Blades bring in a tuff 20 yr old Dman to bolster the top 4 they will have as strong a Defence core as anyone. Look at this past Memorial cup final both London and Shawinigan basically played with 4 d all tournament and in the final game both teams top 2 d pairings played close to 40 mins. Come tournament time all you need to roll is 4 defencemen.

If i was Lorne I would throw a flyer and trade for a guy like Dylan McIlrath and try and coax. the rangers to send him back for his 20 yr old season and a chance to play in the Mem Cup. As of right now I am sure he will be AHL bound so it shouldn't cost much. It has been done before. And come to think of it have the Rangers even signed him yet?

Might as well pick a new guy Mclrath is not comming back lol

Trav
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM

They could use another big d-man out there, a 20 yr old. Be a top 4 with Thrower, Siemens and Dietz. Have Pufahl and young guy like Lernout as the 5th and 6th d-man.

JMoney1988
05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Hey, is there any news on Josh Nicholls signing with Toronto, since don't they have till tomorrow to sign him?

lordstanley
05-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey, is there any news on Josh Nicholls signing with Toronto, since don't they have till tomorrow to sign him?

Nope they never signed him he will be going back into the NHL draft we'll see if someone takes a shot on him i knew there was a reason why we never traded him last year

sbtatter
06-01-2012, 06:30 AM

Just saying.

DeSerres did ok the next year with a defence in front of him in St. Johns!

Western Elite
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
DeSerres did ok the next year with a defence in front of him in St. Johns!

I think you are misunderstanding the post. The poster is saying that Brandon probably should've acquired a better goalie in a Mem Cup season.

I think you could've put in any old average goalie and he would've done just fine for St. John, not St. Johns! I didn't even know St. Johns had a team in the CHL?

Anyways, if Deserres was any good, he wouldn't have been passed through the entire WHL and surely would've earned a contract after his so called great year with St. John not St. Johns!

He played in the CIS last year for heavens sakes. KM didn't address the defense or the goaltending near enough that year!:D

Trav
06-01-2012, 09:11 AM
St. John, St. Johns who cares lol.

lordstanley
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM

I care it's the same butchering when toronto TSN media calls the roughriders the regina roughriders get it right people

Western Elite
06-01-2012, 10:56 AM

So, Saskatoon or Bloomentooon, who cares right?

Trav, your Blades related post have been so far off lately, it is embarrassing for most Blades fans now.

The Wheatiemaniac
06-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I think you are misunderstanding the post. The poster is saying that Brandon probably should've acquired a better goalie in a Mem Cup season.

I think you could've put in any old average goalie and he would've done just fine for St. John, not St. Johns! I didn't even know St. Johns had a team in the CHL?

Anyways, if Deserres was any good, he wouldn't have been passed through the entire WHL and surely would've earned a contract after his so called great year with St. John not St. Johns!

He played in the CIS last year for heavens sakes. KM didn't address the defense or the goaltending near enough that year!:D

It's not that KM didn't address the goaltending enough, it's that nobody prominent was made available. Calgary wasn't gonna give us Martin Jones and Calvin Pickard was a 17 yr old in Seattle. It was a strange year where there were no upgrades to be had. DeSerres was a great pickup for us, but the problem was Andrew Hayes. And nothing of interest was made available to us.

Your team has Makarov and Moodie. You have no worries in goal that I can see. And Walker will give you an instant scoring threat with great hands.

Western Elite
06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
It's not that KM didn't address the goaltending enough, it's that nobody prominent was made available. Calgary wasn't gonna give us Martin Jones and Calvin Pickard was a 17 yr old in Seattle. It was a strange year where there were no upgrades to be had. DeSerres was a great pickup for us, but the problem was Andrew Hayes. And nothing of interest was made available to us.

Your team has Makarov and Moodie. You have no worries in goal that I can see. And Walker will give you an instant scoring threat with great hands.

You have no idea of a "good goalie" was made available or not! It is not as though every team is going to trade you their top goalie and if they don't want to, you better pay and that is what cost Brandon. Getting Raedeke was not the answer and KM was very stingy as usual. He is more worried about being decent, than great every season!

A different GM and I think you guys would've maybe had a chance vs. Windsor!

The Wheatiemaniac
06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
You have no idea of a "good goalie" was made available or not! It is not as though every team is going to trade you their top goalie and if they don't want to, you better pay and that is what cost Brandon. Getting Raedeke was not the answer and KM was very stingy as usual. He is more worried about being decent, than great every season!

By all means.....name a goalie from that season in our league that could have been available. Our overagers were set from Day 1. So guys like Jung and Zemlak were never an option. I agree with Raedke not being a good choice unless he would have been on the 4th line. But please tell me what goalie was readily available to Brandon before trashing Kelly McCrimmon, whom has won CHL executive of the year how many times.

Trav
06-01-2012, 01:26 PM

And our claiming my posts are far off? Which posts by the way? lol. Dunno why ur bashing McCrimmon.

So which different GM would've had a chance against Windsor?

BigCat20
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
By all means.....name a goalie from that season in our league that could have been available. Our overagers were set from Day 1. So guys like Jung and Zemlak were never an option. I agree with Raedke not being a good choice unless he would have been on the 4th line. But please tell me what goalie was readily available to Brandon before trashing Kelly McCrimmon, whom has won CHL executive of the year how many times.

Think Kuemper was the guy to get!

The Wheatiemaniac
06-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Think Kuemper was the guy to get!

Red Deer was in a good playoff spot, and with Nugent Hopkins playing the way he was as a 16 yr old, they actually were a maybe contender. Granted, we would not have said no to him.

lordstanley
06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
And our claiming my posts are far off? Which posts by the way? lol. Dunno why ur bashing McCrimmon.

So which different GM would've had a chance against Windsor?

No offense trav but western elite does have a point

Trav
06-01-2012, 02:20 PM
No offense trav but western elite does have a point

It's funny but no surprise that you'd agree with him lol. You guys seem to think your the only people here that know bout hockey.

I'll even ask you the same question, which of my posts have been far off lol and remember just because u may disagree with my posts, doesn't make them far off.

BigCat20
06-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Red Deer was in a good playoff spot, and with Nugent Hopkins playing the way he was as a 16 yr old, they actually were a maybe contender. Granted, we would not have said no to him.

Don't think sitting in 6th, behind a 17 losses Calgary team, the mem cup host, a 99 point older Blades team, a contender. The Rebels were close to a minus 20 for goals for/against. This wasn't even Kuempers big year....only 3 SO! Would have had to give up a good prospect & pick & prob Hayes with conditional pick if he came back for 20 yr season.

twentyone
06-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Brandon had lots of prospects they could of rid of to bolster their team. Mark Stone was a 17 yr old that would have fetched an aweful lot. He was a 17 yr old playing on the 3rd line. His caliber at that time could have easily been replaced for that year. And his promise could returned a damn good player.

I think KM was looking ahead, and keeping a guy like Stone kept them competitive going forward. But those are the type of players you trade to make a run at a cup. Brandon only had 4-19 yr olds (not including Hayes and DeSerres). They used 3-17 yr olds in key roles, Mark Stone, Ferland and Walker, why? cause KM was looking ahead.

sbtatter
06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Brandon had lots of prospects they could of rid of to bolster their team. Mark Stone was a 17 yr old that would have fetched an aweful lot. He was a 17 yr old playing on the 3rd line. His caliber at that time could have easily been replaced for that year. And his promise could returned a damn good player.

I think KM was looking ahead, and keeping a guy like Stone kept them competitive going forward. But those are the type of players you trade to make a run at a cup. Brandon only had 4-19 yr olds (not including Hayes and DeSerres). They used 3-17 yr olds in key roles, Mark Stone, Ferland and Walker, why? cause KM was looking ahead.

And that's exactly why the Blades are going to fail, because Brandon had a better team the year before the mem Cup hosting than the Blades did, and The Blades are getting junky players, just as Brandon did.
I mean seriously, I don't need to know that it's St John or St Johns (WE, you're better than resorting to grammar corrections) to understand that Brendan Walker is not a "stud" as claimed by some guys on here! The Blades are going straight down the same path as The Wheaties, the dub teams just don't load up anymore it appears.

lordstanley
06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
And that's exactly why the Blades are going to fail, because Brandon had a better team the year before the mem Cup hosting than the Blades did, and The Blades are getting junky players, just as Brandon did.
I mean seriously, I don't need to know that it's St John or St Johns (WE, you're better than resorting to grammar corrections) to understand that Brendan Walker is not a "stud" as claimed by some guys on here! The Blades are going straight down the same path as The Wheaties, the dub teams just don't load up anymore it appears.

Jesus we aren't loading up ? give your head a shake it's only June was lorne suppose to be done all his moves by now ? lol he already picked up 2 pretty good role players that will score some goals in McColgan and Walker give it time if you think this is the way our roster will look then you have another thing coming lol

twentyone
06-01-2012, 11:35 PM

What the hell does the year before they host have anything to do with anything?

Like lord Stanley said their is 11 months before the memorial cup starts. I wouldn't be judging the blades yet.

dagley
06-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Just throwing this out there, but nobody would have beaten Windsor in 2010. That could be the best, or one of the best junior teams ever in CHL history. If you look at their roster and team that season they were virtually impossible to beat...besides that **** up they almost had vs Kitchener (Jeff Skinner was on a tear) when they were down 3-0 and won the series 4-3. And Calgary would have been a better game vs Windsor in the final...thats why you play the game. Calgary had a 2-0 and 3-1 lead
o

sbtatter
06-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Jesus we aren't loading up ? give your head a shake it's only June was lorne suppose to be done all his moves by now ? lol he already picked up 2 pretty good role players that will score some goals in McColgan and Walker give it time if you think this is the way our roster will look then you have another thing coming lol

So is Walker a stud or a role player now? Big difference between what you've described him as in a week!

And the Blades (and the Wheaties also) should start changing their team the minute they are listed as hosts imo, not wait to the summer before and season of the Mem Cup hosting. I really wanted KM to bring in a coach and give him the season before and season of the Mem Cup to mould a team....

sbtatter
06-02-2012, 06:23 AM
What the hell does the year before they host have anything to do with anything?

Like lord Stanley said their is 11 months before the memorial cup starts. I wouldn't be judging the blades yet.

The year before is huge, because that's the base of your team for the Mem Cup hosting year.....

lordstanley
06-02-2012, 09:02 AM
So is Walker a stud or a role player now? Big difference between what you've described him as in a week!

And the Blades (and the Wheaties also) should start changing their team the minute they are listed as hosts imo, not wait to the summer before and season of the Mem Cup hosting. I really wanted KM to bring in a coach and give him the season before and season of the Mem Cup to mould a team....

Ok a couple things here bud, it's somewhat hard to make alot of moves in the summer couple reasons even gm's have lives and go on holidays another reason is coaches don't know who is coming back until after NHL training camps, another reason some teams don't know if they're gonna be contenders or not, to say we haven't done enough yet is rediculous walker and mccolgan are to very good forwards and will help us in a huge way this year

As for us being horrible the year before ? well we may have had a bad playoffs but a team that wins 40 games the year before is not to bad in my books considering the amount of injuries they went through, Lorne is far from done i would expect 3 more moves yet before it's all said and done probably bigger than the ones we just saw even so be pacient things don't happen within a few days, and not to mention we were the third youngest team in the league last year with only 3 19 year olds holy fricken crap marie :groovy::groovy::groovy::groovy:

Trevor
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Not to live in the past, but my take on the 2010 Memorial Cup team is as this:

The team itself was good enough to compete. The forwards had the talent, the defense had the skill, the goaltending was adequate.

The problem was the style of hockey played. Everyone will agree with me that KM was/is offense first, defense second in his philosphy. If he can't beat you 2-1, well lets try 7-6. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

With the style of hockey the Wheat Kings played, Jones, Zemlak, Keumper, etc. wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Memorial Cup.

I agree with sbatter, KM should've brought in a defensive minded coach at the start of the season to teach the team better defensive ways. The offense would be there regardless because IMO you can't teach offensive talent, its there or its not. But defense can be taught.

And for what its worth, I still maintain if at the start of the 09-10 season Jones was in Brandon and DeSerres was in Calgary, Jones would've had around a 2.70GAA, .905% (DeSerres stats in Brandon) and DeSerres would've had around a 2.21, .919% (Jones stats in Calgary).

Joe Hallenback
06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Neither Deserres or Hayes could stop a beachball in that tourney. Sorry they let in a bunch of goals that any competent junior goalie should stop. You put Jones on the Wheaties that year and we might have had a chance at Windsor at least.

We were the 5th best defensive team in the league that year and the number 1 offensive team by a long stretch. They pushed hard to get a goalie. Jones was not leaving Calgary for sure but they did try and get Kuemper out of Red Deer but they wanted alot and KM had to wait on Regina to see if they would send Eberle and Teubert to them which they didn't so he got kinda screwed trying to make a last minute deal which led to the Harmonic trade.

Regina was going to get the Kings ransom in picks and prospects but they wanted Ferland and Stone as part of the deal. KM said no. Red Deer then wanted something stupid like one of Ferland and Stone to go along with picks and he said no again.

If this was the OHL or Q no roster players would have been invovled unless they did not play. The same thing happened this year. Edmonton pretty much did not make any kinds of trades because teams want roster players in return. Draft picks in the WHL are not viable as the OHL and Q because they are 2 year waits. So no impact on the team for next year with picks so teams ask for roster players. Look at what Brandon had to give up for Sundhar. I know Edmonton approached Vancouver for Gallagher and they wanted Lazar in return. Would you make that trade?

The WHL better smarten up if they want to see a winner at the Memorial cup again. The OHL and Q have found out how to break the WHLs dominance via the trading route. The WHL better do the same

patsdude114
06-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Neither Deserres or Hayes could stop a beachball in that tourney. Sorry they let in a bunch of goals that any competent junior goalie should stop. You put Jones on the Wheaties that year and we might have had a chance at Windsor at least.

We were the 5th best defensive team in the league that year and the number 1 offensive team by a long stretch. They pushed hard to get a goalie.

The 5th best defensive team is a far stretch, yes the stats showed thats what it was but every great offense has an inflated GAA due to always having possession of the puck.

Also its AMAZING how Jacob De Serres was great for the Sea Dogs to win the cup the year after the Wheat Kings had hosted it..... he was a capable goalie but when u have crap defense infront of u it wouldnt of changed the out come whoever was in net.

The WHL would of been better served by the Winterhawks to keep up with the firepower of the OHL & QMJHL.... The Oil Kings lacked a true superstar, they had alot of depth but not that 1 key player u MUST cover, St. Croix is good dont get me wrong but he was NOT that game breaker type player where u had to key on him no matter what. Portland was the team the WHL needed to have any chance of winning the Memorial Cup they had the top end talent throughout there line up

Trav
06-04-2012, 12:30 AM
The 5th best defensive team is a far stretch, yes the stats showed thats what it was but every great offense has an inflated GAA due to always having possession of the puck.

Also its AMAZING how Jacob De Serres was great for the Sea Dogs to win the cup the year after the Wheat Kings had hosted it..... he was a capable goalie but when u have crap defense infront of u it wouldnt of changed the out come whoever was in net.

The WHL would of been better served by the Winterhawks to keep up with the firepower of the OHL & QMJHL.... The Oil Kings lacked a true superstar, they had alot of depth but not that 1 key player u MUST cover, St. Croix is good dont get me wrong but he was NOT that game breaker type player where u had to key on him no matter what. Portland was the team the WHL needed to have any chance of winning the Memorial Cup they had the top end talent throughout there line up

I'd agree with that. If Portland had Brossoit, they would've done well in my opinion. Carruth is good but inconsistent.